College Football 2021/22

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
3 big changes for this season or on the horizon:

1. NCAA finally being pushed to allow student-athletes to monetize their name, image and likeness

2. Discussion about the CFB playoffs being expanded to have 12 teams (top 6 ranked champions get a bye in, guaranteeing at least one G5 slot)

3. Texas and Oklahoma interested in joining the SEC... Do Missouri and Kentucky go the other way if this happens?

Season starts August 28...

@WI_Red
@MrMarcello
@Raoul
@Carolina Red
@Eboue
@Organic Potatoes
@calodo2003
@Man of Leisure
@Ramshock
@Tiber
@RobinLFC

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
OU and UT would’ve been in the SEC around a decade ago if UT hadn‘t screwed up the deal by getting its own TV channel. Or maybe that was the PAC…they were rumored for both. Unfortunately we’re joined at the hip and are a package deal, else OU would almost certainly be in the SEC already.

I don’t bother keeping up anymore as it’s a headache; people get all worked up over it for some reason and go on rants trying to prove they’re right like it’s a Messi vs Ronaldo thread. There‘s always that 4x16 league of the big schools doing their own thing lurking in the background, but I think that’s a ways off even in this ‘post-NCAA’ era.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
OU and UT would’ve been in the SEC around a decade ago if UT hadn‘t screwed up the deal by getting its own TV channel. Or maybe that was the PAC…they were rumored for both. Unfortunately we’re joined at the hip and are a package deal, else OU would almost certainly be in the SEC already.

I don’t bother keeping up anymore as it’s a headache; people get all worked up over it for some reason and go on rants trying to prove they’re right like it’s a Messi vs Ronaldo thread. There‘s always that 4x16 league of the big schools doing their own thing lurking in the background, but I think that’s a ways off even in this ‘post-NCAA’ era.
It was the PAC, back when we got Colorado I think.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
At least Bama don't have to rely so heavily on the bagman anymore. Ditto with the other big schools.
They are going to make so much money in Bama. So, so, so much money.

Good for them as long as they lose to Auburn every year.
(from the missus sitting next to me: WAR DAMN EAGLE)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
;) Yup, we sure did
Damn that was an awesome era in HS football. When DLS was still the plucky undersized machine (plus DJ Williams), when out of region games were a novelty, and before I knew what CTE was. Plus I was 18-22 and everything worked properly and didn't always hurt.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They are going to make so much money in Bama. So, so, so much money.

Good for them as long as they lose to Auburn every year.
(from the missus sitting next to me: WAR DAMN EAGLE)
I'm still trying to figure out how given what a small commercial market the state is.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm still trying to figure out how given what a small commercial market the state is.
Appearance fees at booster/speaking/etc. events. I can not stress enough how popular UA is with people down there. Having grown up in LA I had no frame of reference for it. Nothing on the west coast equals it. There is so much money associated with UA and the football team and a couple million to recruit the best athletes is nothing.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ah hell, I thought this SEC thing was just paper talk recycling old storylines to make a headline. It actually sounds kind of serious.

It’d be creating the first 16 team conference, unless they shift South Carolina and/or another to the ACC or Mizzou to the BIG10 whilst the scramble for the attractive bits of the BigXII carcass ensues.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ah hell, I thought this SEC thing was just paper talk recycling old storylines to make a headline. It actually sounds kind of serious.

It’d be creating the first 16 team conference, unless they shift South Carolina and/or another to the ACC or Mizzou to the BIG10 whilst the scramble for the attractive bits of the BigXII carcass ensues.
Eww, no

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Figure the Big Ten (plus Four) will gobble up two schools to create a super conference in retaliation to the SEC if the OU+Texas move goes through. Then perhaps the ACC and PAC12 do likewise and we get to where it probably should be - four super conferences competing for a title and everyone else in D1A should be reclassed into their own playoff competition in a lower tier. Basically, a D1A Premier League and a D1A Championship League.

Who would best fit the ACC, Big Ten (plus Six), and PAC-12?
Baylor, TCU, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Ok State, Texas Tech, Notre Dame left in the cold. Could a UCF be enticing to the ACC perhaps?
Notre Dame should be forced into a conference or go compete with the others in the lower tier. The Big Ten seems the best fit geographically for ND but I think they're fearful of joining a conference permanently and are living on tradition and this thinking it's still the 80s when they had nationwide fandom.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I hate expansion. This whole thing sucks. Need to go back to 10 or at most 12 team conferences where you play every team at least 3 times in 4 years.

The idea of playing Pitt, Rutgers and Maryland every year and seeing Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota 3 times a decade is a disgrace.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Figure the Big Ten (plus Four) will gobble up two schools to create a super conference in retaliation to the SEC if the OU+Texas move goes through. Then perhaps the ACC and PAC12 do likewise and we get to where it probably should be - four super conferences competing for a title and everyone else in D1A should be reclassed into their own playoff competition in a lower tier. Basically, a D1A Premier League and a D1A Championship League.

Who would best fit the ACC, Big Ten (plus Six), and PAC-12?
Baylor, TCU, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Ok State, Texas Tech, Notre Dame left in the cold. Could a UCF be enticing to the ACC perhaps?
Notre Dame should be forced into a conference or go compete with the others in the lower tier. The Big Ten seems the best fit geographically for ND but I think they're fearful of joining a conference permanently and are living on tradition and this thinking it's still the 80s when they had nationwide fandom.
ND would probably finally go into the ACC since they’re already halfway in. WV to the ACC would make a lot of sense; I think that’d be their 16. Then it gets a lot more complicated.

The Big10 has some sort of academic something requirement that every university in there has…don’t recall. But regardless, Mizzou has that and makes sense geographically: then the SEC adds whichever team leftover in Texas or Oklahoma they like to make up the numbers. Or the BIG would just add ISU instead in addition to KU (probably their 1st choice)…that’s a lot more straightforward I suppose.

The PAC is kind of boned in this scenario, at least in terms of brand names. I guess they’ll get even broader geographical TV coverage. It really all revolves around OU/UT and ND in the end.

Tiber

As a college football neutral, this sounds exciting

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

As a college football neutral, this sounds exciting
I didn’t think it would happen so quick.

Have they got contracts with these divisions or can they just move on whenever they want?

Tiber

I didn’t think it would happen so quick.

Have they got contracts with these divisions or can they just move on whenever they want?
I think I read the Big 12 TV contract runs until 2023 or 2024 and Texas could pay a settlement to leave early

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think I read the Big 12 TV contract runs until 2023 or 2024 and Texas could pay a settlement to leave early
Fox has partial rights til 2025, that will be the sticking point. The sooner (heh) they leave the larger the buyout. ESPN will work with UT re: the Longhorn network if it facilitates a move. ESPN could also redo a larger SEC contract to offset these costs.

So it’s a pain tolerance for how much the two schools are willing to pay, and how eager ESPN is willing to help.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

It's also worth noting that 1) the Big XII only exists today because OU and Texas didn't jump to the PAC-12 a while back, and 2) Texas usually gets its way (and OU to a lesser extent).

Last edited:

Tiber

I suppose they have to throw their hat in the ring, but why would Texas or Oklahoma choose the ACC over the SEC?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

I suppose they have to throw their hat in the ring, but why would Texas or Oklahoma choose the ACC over the SEC?
The better question is why is the PAC not in on this. It works out for both sides in that it dramatically raises the PAC12 and Texas/OU have a much easier path each year the the SEC West.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The better question is why is the PAC not in on this. It works out for both sides in that it dramatically raises the PAC12 and Texas/OU have a much easier path each year the the SEC West.
Yeah, and while the inevitable BigXII collapse has been well covered this also puts the PAC in an awkward position. They will be the Seri A or Ligue 1 to the SEC’s Premier League, and that might be a generous comparison.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, and while the inevitable BigXII collapse has been well covered this also puts the PAC in an awkward position. They will be the Seri A or Ligue 1 to the SEC’s Premier League, and that might be a generous comparison.
From a money perspective I can see the SEC making sense, but from a trophy perspective I just don't see how either school even occasionally overcomes Alabama, Georgia, and (sometimes) FL/Auburn. In the PAC the only competition would be SC and Oregon and with SC's Trustees doing a bang up job of self sabotaging sports they could own the league. Also, the PAC's TV deal is soooooooo bad that the could demand almost any concession to come over.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
From a money perspective I can see the SEC making sense, but from a trophy perspective I just don't see how either school even occasionally overcomes Alabama, Georgia, and (sometimes) FL/Auburn. In the PAC the only competition would be SC and Oregon and with SC's Trustees doing a bang up job of self sabotaging sports they could own the league. Also, the PAC's TV deal is soooooooo bad that the could demand almost any concession to come over.
Even occasionally? I don’t know about that; I mean Texas couldn’t in their current state, but OU would be favored over any of those teams on a neutral site bar Bama.

Regardless, you also have to view this from the perspective of an eventual expanded playoff which the SEC will dominate in terms of numbers of teams in. In this conference you might not even have to be a runner-up to get in; that likely won’t be true for others.

MrMarcello

I'd think Oklahoma and Texas would suddenly draw more interest from those recruits choosing Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, etc. Those kids would now be playing for OU/UT in the SEC with big media exposure, and Texas having their own network in addition to the SEC network. I fail to see how either school do not succeed. That said, with how Texas has so many hands in the cookie jar is still a problem in Austin.

I figure the SEC may redraw their divisions to balance things out, perhaps. And all of this movement is the SEC's fault if we go back to the early 90s and them being the first to hold a conference championship game. Then everyone wanted their own (cash money) but needed to expand conferences to do such. Course, we could ask why D1A football was the only collegiate sport without a playoff for decades. I don't think any of this occurs with a proper playoff format since let's say the 50s or 60s.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s official now that OU & UT are not staying in the BigXII. Now the SEC has to vote with 11 of 14 ‘yeas’ to formally invite them. That is a formality as the only hard ‘no’ is A&M, and even they might leave their public vote as a yes since any resistance is in vain.

This might be the biggest shakeup in the sport since the Big 8 and SWC merged to form what some thought would be a superpower of a conference. You could throw the dissolution of the Big East in that discussion, but that was a bigger bombshell for basketball in my opinion.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’ve heard the Big 10 is trying to recruit ND and USC

How is USC going to work being on the west coast?