Combined Man Utd Liverpool 11

Brightonian

Anyone including more than two Liverpool players is overcompensating for bias. For me it's Coutinho and Robertson (who seems to be underrated on here because he hasn't settled in at Liverpool yet, but gets in because we haven't exactly got our LB sorted yet.) Sure, Mané's great, but better than Martial? And Salah is just Rashford's pace without any of his other qualities.

Sigma

Anyone including more than two Liverpool players is overcompensating for bias. For me it's Coutinho and Robertson (who seems to be underrated on here because he hasn't settled in at Liverpool yet, but gets in because we haven't exactly got our LB sorted yet.) Sure, Mané's great, but better than Martial? And Salah is just Rashford's pace without any of his other qualities.
Salah (6) has scored more goals than Rashford (5) this season in the same amount of games (11). 2 of Rashford's goals were against Burton Albion whereas Salah has only played in the Premier League and Champions League

cyberman

Rashfords minutes per goals (and assists) must be streaks ahead of Salah though given the amount of times he's subbed for Martial.
Saying its 11 games each as if its equal footing is a bit misleading, especially when Rashford is a chance creating machine at the minute.

Sigma

Rashfords minutes per goals (and assists) must be streaks ahead of Salah though given the amount of times he's subbed for Martial.
Saying its 11 games each as if its equal footing is a bit misleading, especially when Rashford is a chance creating machine at the minute.
Salah 694 to Rashford's 504. Probably balanced out though by the fact that Man Utd's team is better and that Rashford got a game against a championship side in which he scored 2 goals.

Of course though, it's hard to judge the difference between them after 11 games. All I was trying to show is that I think Salah is currently better than Rashford and tried to provide evidence which backed up my opinion.

cyberman

@Sigma
I don't get this ,Having little over 40% more game time is not balanced out by taking away more "meaningful" minutes from Rashford.

So its 694 minutes for Salah versus 440 mins for Rashford if we deduct his 64 mins v Burton.
It doesn't really disprove @Brightonian point..

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Blind, Young, Darmian, Shaw, Moreno, Milner, Robertson

I've never came across a more underwhelming list of left back choices in my life.

Brightonian

Salah (6) has scored more goals than Rashford (5) this season in the same amount of games (11). 2 of Rashford's goals were against Burton Albion whereas Salah has only played in the Premier League and Champions League
WhoScored has their goal/assist stats for club and country this season as Rashford: 8/3, Salah: 7/1. Meanwhile, on the pitch, Rashford clearly has a lot more about him.

He's delivered much more consistently imo. Definitely one that got away under van Gaal.
This is a combined XI for this match, based on right now. They've been close this season, to my eye, but Martial is special in a way Mané is not. And the stats favour Martial too, more goals and more assists in half the minutes.

I'm using WhoScored stats here, I don't know if they're any good. I'm sure the points still stand even if there are slightly different figures available.

Last edited:

GM K

My team consists of only players who are available for the match.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Jones Young
Herrera Matic
Salah Coutinho Martial
Lukaku​

Except that Rashford is better than Salah.

MAME DIOUF 32

Martial is special in a way Mané is not. And the stats favour Martial too, more goals and more assists in half the minutes.
I presume that's this season alone? Martial has largely come on against tired defences while we've been dominant. Mane has been Liverpool's most consistent attacking threat pretty much since he signed for them. I'm a Martial fan and my posting history will back that up, but Mane's a consistently excellent modern forward.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Mane > Rashford/Martial. But, given he's 4 years older than both of them, I expect Martial at least to have surpassed him, with Rashford having a good chance of doing the same.

I'd put Coutinho and Mane into our starting 11 - maybe Robertson if he carries on the season the way he's started. The rest is all Utd.

Robaldo

Of available players: De Gea; Valencia, Bailly, Jones, Young; Herrera, Matic; Salah, Mkhitaryan, Coutinho; Lukaku

CM

I think Matip's a decent defender personally, just hasn't got a good partner and no protection in front of him.

Smalling is trash. Both games he's played in where the opposition have scored he's looked absolutely lost positionally on the goals. He basically only had that good season because he got away with a feck tonne of shirt-pulling every game.
I always find it a bit weird when people discredit players like this. Generally I'm not Smalling's biggest fan but he was excellent for a year or so under van Gaal.

IRELANDUNITED

If I was picking a starting 11 and bench assuming everyone is fit here's what I'd go for.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Jones Blind
Pogba Matic
Mane Couninho Martial
Lukaku

Bench:
Romero, Rojo, Young, Fellaini, Mikitharyan, Rashford, Zlatan.

That is the best match day 18 you can possibly make between the 2 clubs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
De Gea
Bailly Jones Blind
Matic
Pogba Coutinho
Mané Firmino Martial
Lukaku​

Treble

Martial struggles to make United's first XI but somehow manages to make the combined United-Liverpool XI. He is a wizard, isn't he?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Another interesting discussion would be Liverpool players outside of Mane, Salah and
Coutinho who would get on our bench if our bench was

Herrera, Mata, Martial, Smalling, Mikhitarian, Romero

GM K

How about the manager? Klopp vs Jose Mourinho.

Klopp usually manages to whip Jose or at least get a draw in their head to head duels.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wouldn't let me pick Firminho as a attacking midfielder.

DDG
Valencia Bailly Rojo
Pogba Matic Coutinho
Salah Firminho Mane
Lukaku​

Martial would possibly break into that side of starts regularly.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Jones - Blind
Pogba - Matic
Mane - Coutinho - Martial
Lukaku​
Very good and pretty much spot on in my opinion also although I think Blind is debatable and I'd rather have Young Shaw or Robertson or the Liverpool right back that can play left back also (forgot his name)!!

haram

De Gea
Valencia Jones Bailly Blind
Matic Pogba
Mane Coutinho Rashford
Lukaku

Only one I had to think about is Blind. Even then it's only between the rest of our LB choices.

Salah does not get in ahead of Martial/Rashford at all.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout