Combined United, Spurs and City first XI

James Peril

De Gea Bailly, Matic and Pogba would all be in there. No question
You just can’t say that about Matic and Bailly. Heck, even though I love Bailly I realize his heading ability is much weaker than other options. As for Matic, he would not make Spurs better for example, there is not a single Spurs-fan who would have swapped Dembele for him. So yeah, many questions.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You just can’t say that about Matic and Bailly. Heck, even though I love Bailly I realize his heading ability is much weaker than other options. As for Matic, he would not make Spurs better for example, there is not a single Spurs-fan who would have swapped Dembele for him. So yeah, many questions.
I don't think many ManUtd fans will swap Matic for Dembele either.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Dembele is arguably the most under rated CM in the prem. He would definitely make that lineup over matic.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
KDB has a double barrelled name so counts as two
I know you're joking but De Bruyne doesn't count as a double-barrelled surname does it? Although De does slightly change the meaning/origin of the name.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not suggesting that you guys have a weak XI (you certainly do not), but apart from De Gea no one else is really a shoe-in.

You could easily argue for a midfield of KDB-Fernandinho-Silva, which leaves out both Matic and Pogba

I also don't agree that Bailly gets in over Alderweireld or Vertonghen.
And you could make that same case for just about any other player selected too. Truth be told only really DDG is indisputable.

Our defence really don’t get the credit they should, we currently have the best defence in the league, we had the best defence in the league two seasons ago, and last season we were on equal footing with Spurs until we decided to do away with our league campaign and focus on Europa entirely.

Name Changed

weso26
De Gea and Pogba would definitely be in the team.

Jones or Bailly would have a shout, one of them.

You could make a case for Valencia over Walker. I certainly would anyway.

James Peril

I don't think many ManUtd fans will swap Matic for Dembele either.
Which is exactly my point, debating the «no question» about it the post I quoted. You can say no question with regards to De Gea, de Breuyne and Kane - not Bailly and Matic.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
4x2x3x1

GK: David de Gea
RB: Kyle Walker
LB: Mendy
CB1: Bailly
CB2: Otamendi
MCDf: Matic
MCB2B: Delle Ali
MA C: David Silva
SS R: De Bruyne
SS L: Rashford
STC: Harry Kane

Only three players of our squad would get into the team. I'm being as much honest as possible, even though Bailly would probably be replaced by someone else.

roonster09

Scout
Which is exactly my point, debating the «no question» about it the post I quoted. You can say no question with regards to De Gea, de Breuyne and Kane - not Bailly and Matic.
I thought this was about making the best 11 from the 2 squads, now which player can be swapped. For a record there was one spurs fan who said he won't swap Lloris for De Gea.

James Peril

I thought this was about making the best 11 from the 2 squads, now which player can be swapped. For a record there was one spurs fan who said he won't swap Lloris for De Gea.
Some people are crazy though, that’s for sure. That being said, Man Utd would probably not do worse with Lloris and Spurs would not do better with de Gea. Both very good shotstoppers, Lloris slightly more prone to unforced errors to steal from tennis. Both make more exceptional saves relative to all others in the league, especially with their legs.

James Peril

4x2x3x1

GK: David de Gea
RB: Kyle Walker
LB: Mendy
CB1: Bailly
CB2: Otamendi
MCDf: Matic
MCB2B: Delle Ali
MA C: David Silva
SS R: De Bruyne
SS L: Rashford
STC: Harry Kane

Only three players of our squad would get into the team. I'm being as much honest as possible, even though Bailly would probably be replaced by someone else.
Rashford ahead of Leroy Sane and Dele Alli instead of Paul Pogba? Jog on mate...

roonster09

Scout
Rashford ahead of Leroy Sane and Dele Alli instead of Paul Pogba? Jog on mate...
Why not Rashford ahead of Sane? You think everyone loves City players like few ManUtd fans do? This season both have scored 7 goals and 4 assists in all competitions.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not necessarily the best 11, but for better balance:

De Gea
Walker, Bailey, Vertonghen, Mendy
De Bruyne, Matic, Pogba
Sterling, Kane, Sane

- Matic+Pogba has to start together (hence no Fernandinho)
- Kane over Augero, Jesus, Lukaku, and every other striker in the world
- De Bruyne is the key of everything (hence no Eriksen)
- Pace on wing is a must, so Sterling the only valid option on the right
- I preferred Sane over Rashford as he always seems to pick up De Bruyne brilliant through balls with his run and followed up by scoring (although I personally rate Rashford a little higher)
- Back 4 I think more or less are the obvious choice, De Gea is De Gea

Last edited:

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Why not Rashford ahead of Sane? You think everyone loves City players like few ManUtd fans do? This season both have scored 7 goals and 4 assists in all competitions.
because Sane is a better left winger, it's no slight on Rashford that people think Sane is a better left winger.

roonster09

Scout
because Sane is a better left winger, it's no slight on Rashford that people think Sane is a better left winger.
Rashford is as good this season, so not sure why anyone would question picking Rashford over Sane considering how good Rashford has been in creating or scoring first goal.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Despite picking De Gea myself I think Lloris is quite underrated on this thread, for me there is not much between the two keepers. And if I am to list just one of Lloris' qualitites over De Gea is his leadership, he truly is a vocal leader and it's not by accident he is our captain.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Do you really think Pogba has shown to be better than Dele Alli at this point? I'm still hugely disappointed with his overall performance to be honest. He's not the complete midfielder we all thought he would become at Utd.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf Dele Alli was certainly better than Pogba last season. If he's basing it off that then that's fair enough. Whether he should base that off one season is another question....

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think Rashford can become a fantastic left support striker instead of insisting to play him as a striker. His best games so far are in that position. Sané is an excelent player, but I prefer Rashford qualities. It's just a matter of preference.

RedCurry

De Gea
Walker - Bailly - Alderweireld - Mendy
Matic
De Bruyne -Pogba - Eriksen
Kane - Lukaku

Edit: thanks @Pacificgi

Last edited:

SalfordRed1960

De Gea
Walker Toby Vertonghen Mendy
De Bruyne Pogba
Eriksen --------- Sane
Kane Jesus
Something like this, I guess (horribly unbalanced midfield though).
Bailly, Valencia and Jones all have a chance of starting to be fair; Matic, if we want to create a better balance. Sterling, Silva and Aguero (the depth of City's attack, Christ!) too. Alli is unlucky to miss out if we're looking at Spurs.
I would agree with this team.

Dazzmondo

De Gea
Walker-Bailly-Alderweireld-Davies
Pogba-de Bruyne
Sterling-Alli-Eriksen
Kane

Bench: Ederson, Jones, Valencia, Fernandinho, D. Silva, Sane, Lukaku​

AdSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its a tough call and really depends on what style you intend to use. For me:

Lloris

Alderweireld Bailly Vertonghen

Walker Mendy

Dembele De Bruyne

Eriksen

Aguero Kane

Defence high line, so prefer a sweeper keeper - but no drop off if De Gea is chosen in goal. Pace in the full backs (Aurier/rose/Valencia) could switch in with marginal drop off. Stones could replace Verts. No need for matic due to 3 at the back and Dembele has enough defensive nous as well as more dribbling ability, but could replace with Matic/Fernandinho if wanting to be less open likewise Pogba for De Bruyne with De Bruyne replacing Eriksen could also achieve. All in all, I think all 3 squads have quality players with minimal drop off no matter whom you chose. If this was including Chelsea it would be a similar picture, what I do find interesting however is when you drop down a few places to the normal "top 4" very few Liverpool/Arsenal players would make it into the squad (I couldn't think of any really to replace from the 3 squads which is a first).

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I love Lloris an unhealthy amount, and he's a fantastic keeper ... but De Gea is just better. Spurs fans picking Lloris is like United fans Bailly, it just doesn't really come from any rational place other than homerism.

AndyJ1985

Aside from De Gea and Pogba United don't really belong in the discussion. Our attack is behind both, our full backs are miles behind both, and our defenders are worse than Spurs'

De Gea would get in to any team in the world, because he's the best keeper.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Its a tough call and really depends on what style you intend to use. For me:

Lloris

Alderweireld Bailly Vertonghen

Walker Mendy

Dembele De Bruyne

Eriksen

Aguero Kane

Defence high line, so prefer a sweeper keeper - but no drop off if De Gea is chosen in goal. Pace in the full backs (Aurier/rose/Valencia) could switch in with marginal drop off. Stones could replace Verts. No need for matic due to 3 at the back and Dembele has enough defensive nous as well as more dribbling ability, but could replace with Matic/Fernandinho if wanting to be less open likewise Pogba for De Bruyne with De Bruyne replacing Eriksen could also achieve. All in all, I think all 3 squads have quality players with minimal drop off no matter whom you chose. If this was including Chelsea it would be a similar picture, what I do find interesting however is when you drop down a few places to the normal "top 4" very few Liverpool/Arsenal players would make it into the squad (I couldn't think of any really to replace from the 3 squads which is a first).
Ederson has been the better sweeper keeper this season.

SambaBoy

De Gea

Walker Alderweireld Bailly Rose

Dembele Pogba

De Bruyne Eriksen Sane

Kane

Could easily have Aguero/Vertonghen/Valencia/Mendy in their respective positions.