Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Terrific Walter White tribute IMO.

Keef is gonna sporadically release great songs amidst his errm other stuff.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never could understand a word Keef was saying.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Lot of new music and mixtapes have come out recently. The new Drake song "0 to 100" is fire. Also, 50's new project is quietly dope.

I'll be posting links over the next few days.

adexkola

Supports
Anyone know the best stuff to come out of Atlanta recently? Some of it I like, a lot of it is garbage.
Their artists are very hit and miss with me.
TI has been productive recently. 2 Chainz just released a mixtape, "Freebase". Jeezy has been solid on his features.

Apart from that trifecta, I agree with the inconsistency. Migos, Young Thug, Gucci Mane... their highs have been high, but their lows have really sucked. The lack of innovation in trap right now doesn't help things.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
I have never listened to a whole Young Thug track. :lol:
Another example of the inconsistency I was talking about. I could probably deal with a Young Thug feature, but other than that I don't really check for him.
That one with TI is nice though.

TI has been productive recently. 2 Chainz just released a mixtape, "Freebase". Jeezy has been solid on his features.

Apart from that trifecta, I agree with the inconsistency. Migos, Young Thug, Gucci Mane... their highs have been high, but their lows have really sucked. The lack of innovation in trap right now doesn't help things.
Yeah trap is getting a bit played out. Saying that, Kendrick had a good verse on one of Fredo Santana's tracks and Drake has been clearly influenced a little as well. I feel these trap artists are better as features. Their lack of lyrical ability can only hold me for so long.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I have faith in Young Thug, let Metro Boomin' and 808 Mafia produce everything for him and he'll be ok. The issue with the South is quantity over quality, if they stopped releasing 12490022 mixtapes every year and condensed that shit into an album we'd all be much happier.

Loublaze

ATLien
Finally getting around to listening to the Roots new album, and its quality.
A guy I know thought its their worst release ever. Thought there wasn't enough Black Thought and that the singing in the hooks was terrible. I quite enjoyed it tbh.

Loublaze

ATLien
I have faith in Young Thug, let Metro Boomin' and 808 Mafia produce everything for him and he'll be ok. The issue with the South is quantity over quality, if they stopped releasing 12490022 mixtapes every year and condensed that shit into an album we'd all be much happier.
Well the mixtapes are for the streets.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Came in here to post Thugger aka black Jesus. Music is so heavenly

Also I spent last Monday and Tuesday with Cam'ron filming his press day and his appearances on Radio 1/ 1Xtra. Was meant to do a show in Kentish Town forum some old school beef popped up he dipped back to Harlem yada yada yada.

adexkola

Supports
Came in here to post Thugger aka black Jesus. Music is so heavenly

Also I spent last Monday and Tuesday with Cam'ron filming his press day and his appearances on Radio 1/ 1Xtra. Was meant to do a show in Kentish Town forum some old school beef popped up he dipped back to Harlem yada yada yada.
What happened? Apparently he was going to get jumped on stage and he ran?

Loublaze

ATLien
Anyone know the best stuff to come out of Atlanta recently? Some of it I like, a lot of it is garbage.
Their artists are very hit and miss with me.
Which Atlanta artists do you admire?

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Which Atlanta artists do you admire?
I wouldn't say I admire any of them, just a couple songs have stuck with me a little bit.

Some of Rich Homie Quan's stuff, Que had that OG Bobby Johnson which was alright, K Camp had one or two alright songs, Migos remix of Drake's trophies was decent.
For the most part I cannot be bothered to sift through most of the shite that is coming out.

Loublaze

ATLien
I wouldn't say I admire any of them, just a couple songs have stuck with me a little bit.

Some of Rich Homie Quan's stuff, Que had that OG Bobby Johnson which was alright, K Camp had one or two alright songs, Migos remix of Drake's trophies was decent.
For the most part I cannot be bothered to sift through most of the shite that is coming out.
Whats your golden era and which artists are your fav/most respected?

Loublaze

ATLien
BIG, Nas, Jay Z from the older stuff.

Right now I would say Pusha T, KRIT, J Cole, Kendrick, YG, Drake, Meek, Schoolboy Q.
I live in Atlanta. Biggie's my fav of all time. Love Nas and love/hate Jigga. I can't really get into a lot of the new commercial shit but the cats you mentioned are lyrically tight. Drake is cool but he's a surburban kid FFS, i've met that cat so I can't really buy into the image he portrays sometimes.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
I live in Atlanta. Biggie's my fav of all time. Love Nas and love/hate Jigga. I can't really get into a lot of the new commercial shit but the cats you mentioned are lyrically tight. Drake is cool but he's a surburban kid FFS, i've met that cat so I can't really buy into the image he portrays sometimes.
Yep but everything Drake touches is a hit. I mean, you look at 'Hold on, we're going home' or whatever it was called. That will live forever regardless of whether rap/hip hop fans like it or not. He owns a style which others cannot replicate. He will never drop an album like Good kid but he doesn't have to. Everyone jumps on his beats as well :lol:

I get what you're saying about him being sub urban, but on the album for example he didn't really put a front. Some of the stuff he said on the 'Stay Scheming' and 'Believe Me' singles were a bit "Shut uuuup, Drake", but at least he doesn't take it too far.

I take it you don't feel these 'new' Atlanta artists?

Loublaze

ATLien
Yep but everything Drake touches is a hit. I mean, you look at 'Hold on, we're going home' or whatever it was called. That will live forever regardless of whether rap/hip hop fans like it or not. He owns a style which others cannot replicate. He will never drop an album like Good kid but he doesn't have to. Everyone jumps on his beats as well :lol:

I get what you're saying about him being sub urban, but on the album for example he didn't really put a front. Some of the stuff he said on the 'Stay Scheming' and 'Believe Me' singles were a bit "Shut uuuup, Drake", but at least he doesn't take it too far.

I take it you don't feel these 'new' Atlanta artists?
Im not knocking Drake's ability to make hits, but hit making doesn't really mean jack to me. Can a muthafecka make an album that will give me goosebumps and have me blast it on repeat? Thats the juice, but alas, this is a commercial hip hop thread.

There's some cats I can get into but i'm an old head you feel me? Im 32 so shit aint really the same for me as it used to be. I work in entertainment media so I see these artists all the time but the hunger I had like when a new Nas, Biggie or Jay-Z album dropped aint there no more. The last golden gen for Atlanta was late 90s and the naughties...T.i. Jeezy, Outkast, Ceelo Goodie Mob, Luda, Pastor Troy, Yung Joc, etc. As for now, commercial wise anyway, Future is ok, so is Rich homie Quan...2 Chainz, Wacka, if you just like club bangers without much substance in a full LP. I even liked some snap music , crunk with Lil Jon and lil Scrappy , YinYang twins, Youngbloodz back in the day. I probably sound like my parents.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Im not knocking Drake's ability to make hits, but hit making doesn't really mean jack to me. Can a muthafecka make an album that will give me goosebumps and have me blast it on repeat? Thats the juice, but alas, this is a commercial hip hop thread.

There's some cats I can get into but i'm an old head you feel me? Im 32 so shit aint really the same for me as it used to be. I work in entertainment media so I see these artists all the time but the hunger I had like when a new Nas, Biggie or Jay-Z album dropped aint there no more. The last golden gen for Atlanta was late 90s and the naughties...T.i. Jeezy, Outkast, Ceelo Goodie Mob, Luda, Pastor Troy, Yung Joc, etc. As for now, commercial wise anyway, Future is ok, so is Rich homie Quan...2 Chainz, Wacka, if you just like club bangers without much substance in a full LP. I even liked some snap music, crunk with Lil Jon and lil Scrappy back, YinYang twins in the day. I probably sound like my parents.
Nah, it's cool that you can still find something in the newer stuff which you can rock to. I'm sure everyone loves Nas but there's always alternatives for different moods.

Loublaze

ATLien
Nah, it's cool that you can still find something in the newer stuff which you can rock to. I'm sure everyone loves Nas but there's always alternatives for different moods.
Exactly. There's something for everyone. Im more into the indie side of things these days. Here's a few acts from Atlanta you might have heard of but probably not.

MJLD

Not sure if right thread but this is the only active hip hop one. Anyone caught the Mursday album? Been playing it non-stop, easily one of my top albums of the year

One of the standout tracks for me:

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
No one laid a finger on him, he wasn't even in the building.

Was with him all day Monday and Tuesday until like 5/6pm. He sound checked, did some interviews (Westwood, nOISEY) then dipped. That was the last I saw of him.

The stuff is from 2004 Dipset were meant to come to London for a show, it never happened the yutes from South felt like they got gipped for their money waited 10 years to get him and failed lol. Wanted to look like they were thugging and ended up looking like planks.

Long live Cam Da Gawd, my favourite rapper ever!

Loublaze

ATLien
No one laid a finger on him, he wasn't even in the building.

Was with him all day Monday and Tuesday until like 5/6pm. He sound checked, did some interviews (Westwood, nOISEY) then dipped. That was the last I saw of him.

The stuff is from 2004 Dipset were meant to come to London for a show, it never happened the yutes from South felt like they got gipped for their money waited 10 years to get him and failed lol. Wanted to look like they were thugging and ended up looking like planks.

Long live Cam Da Gawd, my favourite rapper ever!
Cam is you fav? Oh come now! Hehe just giving you shit.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Cam is you fav? Oh come now! Hehe just giving you shit.
Yup lol my fav ever, I was a task holding in how excited I was.

When he was soundchecking I was just rapping along to every track and he must have clocked ok this dude is a fan. Perhaps it's because he isn't at the top of the game like he was early/mid 2000s but he was mad humble

Loublaze

ATLien
Yup lol my fav ever, I was a task holding in how excited I was.

When he was soundchecking I was just rapping along to every track and he must have clocked ok this dude is a fan. Perhaps it's because he isn't at the top of the game like he was early/mid 2000s but he was mad humble
I've never liked Cam. Even met the dude at hot summer jam with Mase and Big Pun in 98. Just not my style but I can bump some of his old shit