Conflagration in the Amazon Rainforest

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007t13/breakfast-23082019

@1 hour 10 mins a Prof. John Lloyd, Bio Geo Chemist Imperial College London gives an insight into the Brazilian view. Its not overly supportive of the outside view.

Prof L - "there's an argument that's made and it's pretty hard to counter it that you in the UK and internationally have already removed your forests and now you're telling us 'we have to keep ours so you can absorb your CO2' ..."

Pretty harsh words. I don't think threatening Brazil or all of South America is going to work.
I think it's valid to question how useful it is for the disgusting, fat West to issue moral lectures to the developing world. Particularly as the developing world is often developing as a means to feed the West.

Don't deforest but also give me lots of avocado.

But then how do you get out of the ditch.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Well hopefully that's the leverage then. It seems to me that once a decent meat-substitute is perfected that a lot of environmental problems will be solved.
Just saw a Burguer King ad promoting their "impossible Whopper" (plant made burguer). It's a beginning...

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just saw a Burguer King ad promoting their "impossible Whopper" (plant made burguer). It's a beginning...
The thing is, they shouldn't even advertise it because it incentivises idiots to boycott it or do what they did with Greggs' vegan sausage rolls and make big drama about it and throw them in the bin.

Just swap the normal Whopper out for the plant one and don't say anything and people will just consume them as normal. Dead simple.

Surely all they'd have to do is put it in the fine print so at least they can technically say they've advertised it.

Either that or go the whole hog and change the entire menu for the impossible stuff because it's not going to make a difference otherwise.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The thing is, they shouldn't even advertise it because it incentivises idiots to boycott it or do what they did with Greggs' vegan sausage rolls and make big drama about it and throw them in the bin.

Just swap the normal Whopper out for the plant one and don't say anything and people will just consume them as normal. Dead simple.

Surely all they'd have to do is put it in the fine print so at least they can technically say they've advertised it.

Either that or go the whole hog and change the entire menu for the impossible stuff because it's not going to make a difference otherwise.
They could that...if they wanted to go bankrupt.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What's the opinion inside Brazil? I am struggling to be angry. We knew who Bolsonaro was before the Brazilians elected him.

MTF

What's the opinion inside Brazil? I am struggling to be angry. We knew who Bolsonaro was before the Brazilians elected him.
Somewhat divided, mostly against Bolsonaro. But also one of those cases where a country with 100 problems doesn't necessarily see this one as the #1 for people's day-to-day lives. Bolsonaro has a bit of that Trump strategy where he keeps playing to his 20-30% base, assure their support and hope he can add the difference come election time to secure another 4 years.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
A ridiculously low amount but a detestable response from Brazil.

I'd say it's time to invade and do it for them, but I'm sure this dickhead would react like a child and make things worse in coming years.
He sounds like he's in the cold war era. But then he probably set he fires himself or enabled it to further his own agenda, so no surprises.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Excellent.
The solution to this appalling situation is pretty simple.
The rest of the world should tell Brazil - we won't buy your beef. Full stop.
Notwithstanding that. We the people who are concerned about the effects of man made climate change can do one thing. Stop eating beef.
I have already committed to do just that.

Feck that. Have you seen the ingredients list? Its as long as your arm. These meat substitutes take processing food to a new level.