Congratulations Morocco

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Yes, of course, and they won by using their strengths, but I'm sure some of those who blamed Croatia for their style now look favourably on this.
Yes. Because it was a completely different game.

Croatia managed one shot on target in 120 minutes that went in off a jammy deflection. Morocco made as many good chances as Portugal did. All while having about an equally strong frontline and a much, much less gifted midfield than Croatia have.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Depends what you look for as a tourist, for me it’s a great destination all round.
Absolutely- you are missing out massively if you go to Morocco and just sit in a resort

Africa are due another World Cup and it has to be Morocco (probably joint with others)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes. Because it was a completely different game.

Croatia managed one shot on target in 120 minutes that went in off a jammy deflection. Morocco made as many good chances as Portugal did. All while having about an equally strong frontline and a much, much less gifted midfield than Croatia have.
I think it's still crazy that people equate sitting back and playing on the counter as antifootball everytime it happens. It's just crazy.
In most games, there is a dominating team and there is one that relies on fast attacks

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They're constantly looking for counter attacks and create opportunities, even if they don't result in shots (like vs Spain).

To say its awful football is ridiculous. It's a very good example of counter attacking football
Yep some outstanding technical play and passing on the transition

And there is nothing wrong with great defensive organisation either

They have some big players like Hakimi and Ziyech but others playing today have never played outside the local Moroccan league (African CL winners TBF) so it's even more impressive

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Guess they don't expect much from England

ExoduS

No congrats for me. Lucky, very lucky. Time wasting machines in the second half. I hope they lose by at least 4 goal margin to England or France in semis.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No congrats for me. Lucky, very lucky. Time wasting machines in the second half. I hope they lose by at least 4 goal margin to England or France in semis.
No luck at all. They are a very good side that work for each other, defend magnificently and some genuine quality throughout the side. They deserve to be there, they beat Spain and Portugal well. Good luck to them. Fantastic for Africa.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Amrobat has been outstanding

Siorac

Exactly this. Korea’s win against Italy has an asterisk.
Why is it always Italy that's brought up when it comes to 2002? They had much less reason to complain than Spain who were straight-up cheated out of two obviously perfectly valid goals.

JJ12

Its almost as if defending is part of the game…

Siorac

They're nothing like Greece.
They're every bit like Greece, come on now. Their winner tonight was even quite a bit similar to Charisteas' winner in the 2004 final. They defend well and hit teams on the break, again exactly like Greece did.

PSV

Jesus Christ, some of you are acting as if there are only a few ways to play football! :lol:
No, not at all. I get rooting for the underdogs, I'm often guilty of doing so myself.

Heck, one of my country's biggest sporting achievement was shithousing Brazil for 90 minutes, ironically crashing Morocco out of a World Cup.

I just said I don't find it exciting, because it's even less action (in both ends) than Greece provided.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
On one of the FM's, Morocco more often than not won the 2022 World Cup. :lol:

whitbyviking

Fantastic place for a holiday, spent a lot of time in Marrakech, Tangiers and the Atlas Mountains. The main square in Marrakech is nuts in the evenings. People watching, wandering around dodging snakes and browsing teeth for sale at random little stalls.

Todd

Congrats to them, well-deserved. Five matches now while only conceding once, and an own-goal at that.

That being said I hope they get battered by France or England.

Ibi Dreams

Could be I am biased because I have been supporting Morocco but I don't understand these anti football claims.

It's not like they are hoofing it and wishing the best. They had quite a few attacks in the beginning. When they got the goal, they shut up shop but even then they were crisp and decisive on the counter.

I would hardly call that anti football. Is the bar for anti football anything that is bellow tiki-taka nowadays?
It's not anti football at all, they play out from the back and counter when they're able but they lack quality up front.

I don't know what people want from them really. They're doing what they have to do to progress and it's working. Why on earth would they play in a way that doesn't suit their players that would lead to them losing?

Abdullah7

Congrats to my Arabian and Muslim brothers. You'll be remembered for ever. It's out of this world to think that an Arab country can get this far. It's the dreamland that no Arab dared to even think of. it's extraordinary and out of this world. Words fail me every time trying to capture this great achievement. This breakthrough is really huge for next generations. Every Arabian kid can think of this an imaginable picture. Being able to actually win the World Cup. This is what dreams are made of. Amazing.

They conquered back the Iberian peninsula. Historic.
Al-Andalus. Ruled as an Islamic & Arabian country for more than 700 years. it means more than that.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Before criticizing them, let's consider the state of their squad fitness wise. With so many injuries (never mind an important player like Amin Harit not even going to the WC), what they've accomplished is amazing

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They're every bit like Greece, come on now. Their winner tonight was even quite a bit similar to Charisteas' winner in the 2004 final. They defend well and hit teams on the break, again exactly like Greece did.
Greece's winner was from a corner?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Guess they don't expect much from England
They’ll be hoping for a better result than the Battle of Tours.

JJ12

Yep and it took me a couple of games before I realised it's not the Amrabat who played at Watford but his younger brother who is at Fiorentina
I found that out about 20 minutes ago :lol:

MileStolar

Could be I am biased because I have been supporting Morocco but I don't understand these anti football claims.

It's not like they are hoofing it and wishing the best. They had quite a few attacks in the beginning. When they got the goal, they shut up shop but even then they were crisp and decisive on the counter.

I would hardly call that anti football. Is the bar for anti football anything that is bellow tiki-taka nowadays?
Basically you have to play like Serbia to be pro football these days...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I did a road trip there a few years ago. It’s an amazing country.
Same! Spent 10 wonderful days in Morocco visiting Marrakesh, Fez, the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara. We drove around by ourselves and didn’t use any guides. The people were very friendly and the country is fascinating.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Same! Spent 10 wonderful days in Morocco visiting Marrakesh, Fez, the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara. We drove around by ourselves and didn’t use any guides. The people were very friendly and the country is fascinating.
Ah, amazing! We didn’t use a guide either. But we did get stopped a lot by traffic police annoyingly…especially in the most remote of locations where we were the only car for miles!

simplyared

Full of praise for the team and style of play. Revolutionary!
I've watched football for 60 yrs and never seen a team so effective.
A true example of players who believe in themselves and are willing to put themselves over the line. They could well go all the way. Or let's say who's ging to beat them??