Conor Gallagher | Everton make 40m + 5m bid?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Seeing talk of £60m in here, worth nowhere near that.
Yeah as @WeePat mentioned - I agree with you that he's not worth £60m in a vacuum. Just meant that for Chelsea this summer it'd take something like that to make us seriously consider it given the deficiencies in our squad and the uncertainty over the ownership transition.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Someone compared him to Milner as well. All top sides would be happy to have this kind of player in their squad but he’s not going to become a truly elite player.
Yeah probably not, but you never know. Agreed that his ceiling is not that of a truly elite player - if his apex is about as good as Mount is now for us I'd be very happy. And even so as he is right now he's a perfectly adequate and versatile squad player for any top team on a very cheap wage with room to grow.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know. I think he's being underrated by quite a few in here.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think he's better than Mount tbh

Chelsea would be mental to sell him

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Given TT's inverted wingback system it wouldn't surprise me if he's sometimes played there.

It may seem far fetched right now but if you told me 18 months ago CHO and RLC would have played there....

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I find it interesting that people think of him as a midfielder when he's just had his breakout season as a forward

NoPace

I find it interesting that people think of him as a midfielder when he's just had his breakout season as a forward
Yeah, the question at Chelsea is probably not can he take Mount's job, but can he play in a front 3 with Mount, and I guess be the partner to get Lukaku going again. Not sure he does enough well to really excite Tuchel as a midfielder.

My guess is he'll either score goals off the bench like a Smith-Rowe does, or he'll struggle and get massive offers from teams like West Ham, Palace, Newcastle and maybe Spurs. Newcastle don't have a 10, seem to be going for fairly safe and young talent and Bruno is a #8 so stick a tough DM in there and you've got a fun midfield.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, the question at Chelsea is probably not can he take Mount's job, but can he play in a front 3 with Mount, and I guess be the partner to get Lukaku going again. Not sure he does enough well to really excite Tuchel as a midfielder.

My guess is he'll either score goals off the bench like a Smith-Rowe does, or he'll struggle and get massive offers from teams like West Ham, Palace, Newcastle and maybe Spurs. Newcastle don't have a 10, seem to be going for fairly safe and young talent and Bruno is a #8 so stick a tough DM in there and you've got a fun midfield.
Agree. The idea that he's going to take Mount's job is curious.

Mount does pretty much everything Gallagher does but is a better footballer.

NoPace

I do think Mount is the sort of player who might go through struggles as he's a basically a #10 who isn't physically special and that just seems like a sort of tough position to consistently hold a place down unless he's going to be this prolific all the time, but he does sort of do most things well and plays very hard and his movement off the ball is good, so I don't see why he can't become a #8 and play in a 3 man midfield as he gets older and stronger.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Mount has 13 goals and 16 assists in all comps. I can't see Gallagher touching those kind of numbers.

But then, I don't really see Gallagher as a forward either. He seems more a Kante box to box replacement who can chip in with more goals.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
He’s a difficult player to nail down, for me he’s an 8/10 hybrid, we’ve played him in various midfield combinations but his best form came when Kouyate was holding and James McArthur was sitting in there linking the play, in that three he really had the freedom to get forward but due to his sheer athleticsm he’d also pop up and contribute in defensive areas as well which is why he got so many accolades, he was literally popping up all over the pitch. One minute he’d be pressing the opposition’s goalkeeper and the next he’d be making a tackle on the edge of our box.

In more recent times we’ve shuffled the midfield a bit and since Eze came back in he hasn’t quite had the same freedom, and that’s coincided with a drop-off in his output. From what I’ve seen he really needs that freedom to roam in order for him to stand out…dare I say it in the last few games he’s looked more like the West Brom version of Conor Gallagher.

I am interested to see how Tuchel will handle him as he is not a direct fit for their centre-mid or forward roles, you lose his X factor if you ask him to sit and he’s not good enough technically to play in their forward line. Now he’s in the England squad he will also want to play with a World Cup in December…will be interesting.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He was rather good in the game before this, wasn't he?
Yep pretty comfortably our best player I thought. His ability to press is ridiculous.

Where is Tuchel playing him? Who will he be rotated with?
Think right now he's the direct Mount alternative - would expect them to play similar roles this season (though Gallagher is the better off-ball player and Mount the better in build-up phases).

That said, I could also see him getting game time against weaker opposition in a double pivot on occasion - but ultimately I think the longer-term goal is to shift to a 4-3-3 with a pure 6 and in that scenario both Mount and Gallagher would be 8s. We've used something like a 3-1-4-2 at times as well - could see that being an option for Gallagher, especially if we're chasing a match.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Still time to go back on loan at Palace

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was playing well before the sending off but yeah reckless.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He was playing well before the sending off but yeah reckless.
Really? I thought he was pretty bad. Did well when pressing but on the ball his passing left a lot to be desired I thought.

Still though he's not a 6. Personally would have preferred him and RLC to have swapped positions.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Really? I thought he was pretty bad. Did well when pressing but on the ball his passing left a lot to be desired I thought.

Still though he's not a 6. Personally would have preferred him and RLC to have swapped positions.
Yeah he was fine. He was pressing well, winning the ball back well and doing a decent job at recycling possession. Nothing extraordinary, nothing terribly bad. I think the reaction to his performance has been a massive overreaction.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he was fine. He was pressing well, winning the ball back well and doing a decent job at recycling possession. Nothing extraordinary, nothing terribly bad. I think the reaction to his performance has been a massive overreaction.
Agree that the reaction is over the top but he also had a few awful passes on the right touchline giving the ball back under minimal pressure from what I recall - but I could be wrong.

Regardless I don't think he's a 6 so judging him on that basis is harsh from the get-go.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Playing for a good midtable club and playing for a top club are different things.
That much is clear but it’s also a bit of a moot point, because of course it is but players get plucked out of midtable clubs all the time and successfully make the step up to the next level. If you didn’t rate Gallagher in general based on his performances for Palace then fair enough, otherwise I think it’s harsh to judge him based 1.5 games played in a role that probably doesn’t suit him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agree that the reaction is over the top but he also had a few awful passes on the right touchline giving the ball back under minimal pressure from what I recall - but I could be wrong.

Regardless I don't think he's a 6 so judging him on that basis is harsh from the get-go.
No he did do that but I suppose for me despite that he was still playing fairly well doing the basics right. I think Gallagher and Jorginho are a terrible combination. He’d have a much better time of it in a 433 with Ampadu (or any sitting DM) at the base of the midfield.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No he did do that but I suppose for me despite that he was still playing fairly well doing the basics right. I think Gallagher and Jorginho are a terrible combination. He’d have a much better time of it in a 433 with Ampadu (or any sitting DM) at the base of the midfield.
On that we completely agree. For me Gallagher is an 8 who's allowed to press high - the problem as you know is we don't have the 6 to sit in behind him.

Shinjch

You would think he would be mulling over his future anyway.

Supports
Chelsea
He's obviously talented but seems to be one of those players that needs to be playing every week and have a certain rhythm to be effective. Cameos here and there are just exposing his flaws.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's obviously talented but seems to be one of those players that needs to be playing every week and have a certain rhythm to be effective. Cameos here and there are just exposing his flaws.
I would wait until Mount's contract is sorted then look to sell him.