Conte | Spurs Manager

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He works well with functional, chip-on-the-shoulder players willing to follow instructions in a disciplined manner, yet knock-out CL football is casual, end-to-end, high quality and creative game… something a control freak like him cannot bear at all.
It's due to his managing style: don't talk, just do what I tell you. So he would pick players from that profile, which usually exclude flair, high maintenance players.

Conte can drill his very good player to play to 100% level and accumulate points in the league to become title challenger/champion. However, in cup games, top flair players in other team can get into zone. They both fulfill tactic to the same level of Conte team, and express Xfactor. In a sense those players would perform over 100% level, which no managers have tactical answer to. The only thing you can do is fight fire with fire, but Conte team would lack in that fire power.

Then you look at someone like Ancelotti who is one of the best modern day cup managers and see the contrast. He knows to keep high maintenance players in line through man management instead task master approach. Even seen letting his senior players have input on tactic.

Conte at Real Madrid or PSG with high maintenance players is recipe for disaster. It might be a turning point for Conte's career for the worse like Mourinho. Conte is more suitable as Simeone replacement if the latter ever leaves Atletico. It's hard to decline Real Madrid invitation though.
In terms of personality, isn't Conte a bit similar to Mourinho??

So how would you explain Mourinho's amazing success in European competitions?

Is it because in his pomp, Jose was simply a superior manager to what Conte is now? Or am I overlooking some big differences between the two??

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The data backs this up.

So far they've been very successful at pulling off a bend-but-don't-break approach to defense and then countering ruthlessly. But I'm skeptical about how far this approach will take them in the long run.
Its interesting to see how it will go forward and I'm a bit torn myself as to how I'm predicting things will be through the season.

While we're allowing a lot of touches and shots....they're very low quality shots and actually thinking back and watching highlights too...Lloris hasn't actually had much to do so far.

Who knows how it will go going forward. I prefer to have a bit more control of the match myself but Conte clearly doesn't particularly care about possession so its something I'll just have to get used to. If it ends up with trophies and a mentality change at the club, I'll certainly have no complaints.

Also.....think Conte at Real Madrid would be a disaster.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Also.....think Conte at Real Madrid would be a disaster.
Zidane played pragmatic football throughout his tenure and relied on individual skill. Also you are assuming Conte will not adapt his game to match Madrid’s ambitions.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Zidane played pragmatic football throughout his tenure and relied on individual skill. Also you are assuming Conte will not adapt his game to match Madrid’s ambitions.
He may well do in fairness!

Can't say I know enough about Conte's previous lack of achievements in Europe to say whether there were extenuating circumstances. Guess I'll be able to see first hand how we do in Europe this season, in what is a relatively kind group all things considered.

Perhaps if we win a trophy this season, come close to challenging for the title and do well in Europe, Real Madrid may well be in for him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
In terms of personality, isn't Conte a bit similar to Mourinho??

So how would you explain Mourinho's amazing success in European competitions?

Is it because in his pomp, Jose was simply a superior manager to what Conte is now? Or am I overlooking some big differences between the two??
In his pomp, Mourinho was a pirate, a swashbuckler, even a gambler... and the players followed him like a sect. Conte will never be like that imho, because he is much colder at heart and does not pursue luck. The biggest difference is Conte was very successful as a player, also in terms of trophies, and he just inherited that Juve mentality. On the other hand, Mourinho came up from nowhere as a coach and had to shape his own path to success… often times just gambling at crunch time.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
When you write it out like this, as a direct comparison to Spurs, it really does highlight the lack of creativity coming from central midfield. You'd then be relying on the brilliance of Benzema even more who will be another year older. I'm surprised you'd be happy with that.
No I was just looking at the players we have now. If during pre-season Conte identifies creativity as an issue, then RM will more than likely give him the tools he needs. Also RM has shifted its focus from the technical to power, mainly because we have Kroos/Modric/Benz for creativity. If we need a creative player we have plenty of cash for that.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Only 2 CL. You take thing for granting. Many managers who spend time at top clubs winning 1 would be great stats.
My point was that Carlo has coached Juve, Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Bayern across 14 years. These were top teams in contention for CLs but yet he has 'only' won it twice. Conte has only coached teams with a realistic chance of winning for 6 years (actually 4 years if you exclude Inter which was a rebuild job).
Milan before Ancelotti was struggling. They're less top team than Lazio, Roma at the time. Ancelotti got them back into CL, and his 2 CL and 3 CL finals is his work. Not because Milan being Milan.
Milan was struggling because of their coaches. Their players were very talented. In his first season he had Maldini/Kaladze/Pirlo/Gattuso/Rui Costa/Ambrosini/Shevchenko/Inzaghi who would form a key part of his future squads. In his 2nd season he added Nest/Seedorf and won the CL. The season after he added Cafu/Kaka and won the league. The team's transfer strategy was solely done by CEO Galliani. Carlo had very little input.
Saying Carlo is the sole reason for Milan doing well is like saying Zidane is the sole reason for RM doing well (unlike Benitez). Its not true, the players were always there. Milan was always Milan. Galliani should get massive credit there.
Here Conte couldn't make a CL semi final, and 2 consecutive year got knocked out in group stage with Inter Milan at the latest. Allegri made 2 CL final with Juventus succeeding Conte.
Allegri made to CL finals after all the great work done by Conte in giving Juve the blueprint.
Ancelotti didn't say he's dead set on retiring next summer. If RM needs him for another, he's open to stay.
That's why I used the term 'likely'.
There are Pochettino, Mancini, Luis Enrique to pick to succeed Ancelotti if RM crash and burn this season. RM dressing room needs a more softer man management than a task master which is Conte.
Pochettino (on a downcycle after PSG), Mancini (possible but not interested in club football), Luis Enrique (dislikes Madrid, was delighted to transfer to Barca as a player) are all inferior options to Conte. Madrid generally alter between softer and harder managers.
Please try to be better than provide some random amateur analysis of some random wannabe as fact.
Same can be said about anything you say. Also - I am literally quoting Carlo Ancelotti.
Valverde playing on right wing is proof in itself that it is not 4-3-3. A wide forward in 4-3-3 with attacking stats like Valverde is absolute failure. But in reality he's doing well because he's not wide forward.
As I said the 4-3-3 is about interpretation. Valverde provides bite and extra support in defense down the right side. He plays at the right side despite being a B2B midfielder. Have a relook at who assisted Vini in the CL final and from what side. He provides width as well as plays infront of Modric during any buildup.
RM has been playing 2 bank of 4 in mid block, and low block for years now.
You are referring to the defensive phase. Yes they play 2 blocks of 4. The starting positions are always 4-3-3.
Believe me when I am saying I watch RM game enough to debate tactics fairly with any RM fans out there with their own fan
You sound like a guy who just watches highlights and the day's talking points on summary shows like La Liga Today or Sportscenter or Premier League Preview.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Allegri made to CL finals after all the great work done by Conte in giving Juve the blueprint.
A bit unfair, innit? Conte fecked off after his 10 euros restaurant jibe, and because he saw no more upside in that situation. Allegri inherited a very good foundational work, sure, and unlocked another level through his undisputed, better than Conte’s, men management skills.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
A bit unfair, innit? Conte fecked off after his 10 euros restaurant jibe, and because he saw no more upside in that situation. Allegri inherited a very good foundational work, sure, and unlocked another level through his undisputed, better than Conte’s, men management skills.
No I think Allegri was awesome ... However you can't deny that he started at a higher level than Conte. Also Allegri never won the CL with peak Juve and is not significantly better in attack than Conte.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
So does Ancelotti. If you ask me it looks like Real actually does best with managers like that.
I'm very happy with Carlo and don't want him to go. However spoke of retirement at the start of this season, which makes me believe he won't stay till his contract expires at the end of next season. Who else could we realistically get if Carlo retires?

Telsim

I'm very happy with Carlo and don't want him to go. However spoke of retirement at the start of this season, which makes me believe he won't stay till his contract expires at the end of next season. Who else could we realistically get if Carlo retires?
Pochettino.

NoLogo

Conte should definitely be on your list. I think he would do really well with your current squad.

Courtois
Rüdiger-- Militao -- Alaba
Carvajal -- Touchanemi -- Camavinga -- Mendy
Valverde -- Vini Jr.
Benezma
Looks pretty much tailor made for him.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Pochettino.
His work at Espanyol, Southampton and Spurs was excellent but why would we accept someone on a downcycle (PSG), instead of a guy who has won leagues in 2 different countries? I think Madrid would respect Conte more.

Guy Incognito

I'd be mourning after that performance.

His set up doesn't lend itself. Spurs don't concede that many chances but it's a snoozefest up against a team equipped to nullify their midfield.

cyberman

I'd be mourning after that performance.

His set up doesn't lend itself. Spurs don't concede that many chances but it's a snoozefest up against a team equipped to nullify their midfield.
Weird thing is they actually do. There was a stat that said they conceded the fourth most chances on goal in the league last week (or something similar)
It’s just not sustainable

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His inability to perform in Europe is so bizarre

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Conte ball is just Jose ball but with wing backs, and how does Royal get game time? Every time I see a Spurs game he is woeful. Can't go past his man, Cannot cross well, guessing he is ok defensively is why he gets picked? Whatever happened to that Doherty guy, out injured or something?

liman

Walmart Mourinho, play shit football week in week out , 0 european trophy

Because he runs his squad to the ground in each training session they couldn't coup with hectic schedule. When he won the league with Chelsea they played once a week while all his competitor play twice. The recipe of his success has always been recruiting more players than anyone else and play only once in a week.

I think he is cursed in Europe. Spurs will still have enough to qualify from the group but the first decent team they meet in the knockout, they are out.
More chance of them dropping off to UEL and meet Mourinho team there

Last edited:

RedDevilMachine

I think he is cursed in Europe. Spurs will still have enough to qualify from the group but the first decent team they meet in the knockout, they are out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe pragmatic tactics fail on the European stage, especially in the current era? It is an odd one as his achievements in domestic football across Europe are stellar.

Smacky The Frog

Possibly the most overrated of the "elite" managers. Has an abysmal record in Europe with teams far better than Spurs and backs it up with utterly tumescent football. A poor man's version of Young Mourinho, which is obviously still a good manager, but the way he's talked about suggests he's some sort of miracle worker, which he never has been. Would have been a disaster at United.

Usually good entertainment on the touchline though. Should go to PSG so that they can dominate the league and continue to embarrass themselves in the CL.

kthanksbye

Maybe pragmatic tactics fail on the European stage, especially in the current era? It is an odd one as his achievements in domestic football across Europe are stellar.
Yeah, the man has won league title/s with every team he managed that was expected to win, not sure why he's downright shite the moment he has a bad game in Europe. His record hasn't been good, but he's played 5 season in Europe, with 3 different teams, made the final once.
This Spurs side isn't expected to make it deep in Europe, it's very much a work in progress. for now they'll be prioritizing playing the CL again next season, over going deep in this one. They'll get out of the group and maybe win the RO16 depending on their opponents, and if they can finish top 4, that will be a successful season for Spurs.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Possibly the most overrated of the "elite" managers. Has an abysmal record in Europe with teams far better than Spurs and backs it up with utterly tumescent football. A poor man's version of Young Mourinho, which is obviously still a good manager, but the way he's talked about suggests he's some sort of miracle worker, which he never has been. Would have been a disaster at United.

Usually good entertainment on the touchline though. Should go to PSG so that they can dominate the league and continue to embarrass themselves in the CL.
Yes he’s awful in Europe. Only a matter of time before they start crumbling in the league aswell. Imagine him at PSG :lol: Don’t think mbappe, messi and Neymar will take to his crap defensive tactics. He’d probably fall out with Neymar aswell.

matsdf

Yeah, the man has won league title/s with every team he managed that was expected to win, not sure why he's downright shite the moment he has a bad game in Europe. His record hasn't been good, but he's played 5 season in Europe, with 3 different teams, made the final once.
This Spurs side isn't expected to make it deep in Europe, it's very much a work in progress. for now they'll be prioritizing playing the CL again next season, over going deep in this one. They'll get out of the group and maybe win the RO16 depending on their opponents, and if they can finish top 4, that will be a successful season for Spurs.
He's made the EL final once, meaning he has achieved the same as Ole in Europe. Kind of amusing.

kthanksbye

He's made the EL final once, meaning he has achieved the same as Ole in Europe. Kind of amusing.
I'm glad you find it amusing, but other than your amusement, I don't see any comparison between the two managers.
Conte might not be one of the top 3 managers of his era, but he's a really good one, his league record speaks for itself. Won league title everywhere he was expected to. He'll get better in Europe, this Spurs side needs a few more transfer windows and more dept in the squad to challenge on multiple fronts. They aren't going to jeopardies their top 4 chances for a couple of KO rounds of the CL and rightly so.

the_cliff

Tbf to Conte one of his main players (Son) hasn't exactly hit the ground running this season. It's Son so it's probably just a slow start but if it continues Conte is going to have to make the tough decision on whether to drop him or not.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm glad you find it amusing, but other than your amusement, I don't see any comparison between the two managers.
Conte might not be one of the top 3 managers of his era, but he's a really good one, his league record speaks for itself. Won league title everywhere he was expected to. He'll get better in Europe, this Spurs side needs a few more transfer windows and more dept in the squad to challenge on multiple fronts. They aren't going to jeopardies their top 4 chances for a couple of KO rounds of the CL and rightly so.
I don't think he will, and he won't be at Spurs for a few more transfer windows. It's just not realistic is it? It's not what he does.

kthanksbye

I don't think he will, and he won't be at Spurs for a few more transfer windows. It's just not realistic is it? It's not what he does.
Unless a big club comes calling, I don't see why he would leave if they back him financially, which they should, don't think there's a better manager around they can hire.