Conte | Spurs Manager

Mr Smith

This is bad news.

I know that true supporters are meant to just pretend it’s ok and laugh off these things, but this is very bad news.

He is a top coach and he will whip some of those players into shape very quickly.
I agree; I didn't want him here, but going to a team that could challenge us for the top four is not good. Conte is one of the best in the world and will raise the level at Spurs in the short-term, even if it all goes up in flames by the end.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I agree; I didn't want him here, but going to a team that could challenge us for the top four is not good. Conte is one of the best in the world and will raise the level at Spurs in the short-term, even if it all goes up in flames by the end.
Yeah, Conte will make Spurs a issue. Everyone that has played them already this season is fortunate as they'll be a different proposition with him managing them.

Dominos

Such a poor career choice. He has a team whose talisman is on the wane and one that needs a fee years of big investment to even contemplate winning anything of note. And that's not happening because they're Spurs. Not sure if his goal is to get them into the CL this/next year and that's it because his level as a manager is far above Spurs as a football club.

He's a fantastic manager but I don't really see what he can achieve at Spurs.
To be fair, he probably thinks he can't wait forever for one of Europe's 6 or 7 elite clubs to offer him a job. There's no garauntee when those jobs will become available and whether he'll get them.

It's an 18 month contract, worst case scenario is he misses out on top 4 which most people expect anyway. He can leave summer 2022 or 2023 with his reputation likely being the exact same as it is now unless they have an absolute disaster season.

I do agree though he's not really going to achieve anything great there, the best you can hope for is top 4 and to try bag a league cup/FA cup.

And this isn't specific to Conte but all managers, you don't even get credit for those things. Poch is a laughing stock on here because he only got top 4 with Spurs and didn't win the league, and the likes of Brendan/Arteta have won recent domestic trophies and are also mocked mercilessly. Being a manager is a bit of a thankless task unless you're managing the financial elite who can actually challenge for the big trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He can’t stay for many years anywhere’s so even perfect for Spurs. Can’t wait to see him sacked again.
Few stay anywhere for many years these days. And he usually doesn't pick jobs with less pressure (like Klopp did with liverpool).

FatTails

He can’t stay for many years anywhere’s so even perfect for Spurs. Can’t wait to see him sacked again.
Sure, he will be sacked, but by the end of his career he will look back and would have won many, many, more trophies than our manager can begin to dream about, let alone actually win.

So does it matter? One will have trophies and achievements, and another will have lasted in one job for a long time and has nothing to show for it.

I’d pick Conte’s career if I was a manager.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He’ll try to play along for a while with Paratici there to keep things calm but eventually Levy will feck it up.
This is my thoughts, I see him walking when Levy grumbles and refuses to pay an extra 2mil for a player Conte wants as a core of his squad. I recall it was about this amount that stopped him getting Grealish.

The guy is a winner, and he’ll expect no less at Spurs. I’m interested as to how him and Levy will get on and what he’s potentially been promised to make him go there. No doubt I think they’re strong contenders for top 4 now, they will be challenging us for the final spot.
I agree, top class manager, he had to of received guarantees he did not get in the initial meeting when he looked over the project and refused. I wonder what those concessions were, surely squad investment as number one, the other probably a lot of carte blanche with the squad. I see a lot of those Spurs players who were kind of coasting along getting shown the door and Conte demanding replacements.

Glaston is fueling the jet himself right now
:lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He actually has the players to play his favorite 352 formation there with Reguilon and Doherty/Royal at wing backs, Son and Kane up front and Hojbjerg, Ndombele in midfield. Probably needs another £100m or so to add a creative midfielder and center half but I could see them being quite good soon.

ti vu

Yeah but I thought as someone who wins wherever he goes he would have waited for a bigger job to open up. Even if Spurs' buy next summer they are far behind us in terms of quality and it'll be very hard to bridge that. Maybe he's overestimating that squad or his abilities as I wouldn't fancy any manager elevating Spurs to proper heights.
Conte history shows that he always take job for the underdog jobs for lack of better word. What I meant is all those jobs he took, they had one common in that there was no way to predict when the team would propel to the high level, and Conte has done well by achieving it very soon. Conte's choice of club is more adventurous than Mourinho. It's not just underachieving clubs, but seems to be club with limited ceiling which he would raise later. Of course he would need money to do so. That's another discussion.

The point being joining Spurs is not out of character for Conte. What interesting is about Levy having to be adventurous. Just this summer, Conte to Spurs broke down. To convince Conte to come mid season, Levy must have made a much better offer. Conte has all the upper hand in negotiation especially this time around,

croadyman

It will be interesting to see how he does with that Spurs squad. It's not particularly good and in need of investment. If he manages to get a top 4 spot it will be an impressive achievement.
Hope they win a domestic cup and the UEFA Conference League for my dad, still fully expecting them to really come back into the reckoning for top 4 and put loads of necessary pressure on that manager of ours as well

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
I think the preseason preparations are a crucial part of his coaching.
The drills and stamina training are his biggest strengths, not the in-game adjustments.

I don't expect him to turn things around this season. The Conte effect would be seen next season. But will he remain until then? I'm not sure. Levy is pretty trigger happy, and Conte is not known for being patient or comprimising.

Dante

Average bang
If there was the tiniest possibility that United were going to offer Conte the job, he would have waited much longer before signing the contract with Levy.

The fact that the deal with Tottenham was completed so quickly means that the United board never communicated any serious interest to Conte.

So I think this confirms the rumours that United don't see Conte as the type of manager they want at the club. I reckon we're keeping our ink dry until the summer when we'll go for somebody who's currently unavailable (like Ten Hag).

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If there was the tiniest possibility that United were going to offer Conte the job, he would have waited much longer before signing the contract with Levy.

The fact that the deal with Tottenham was completed so quickly means that the United board never communicated any serious interest to Conte.

So I think this confirms the rumours that United don't see Conte as the type of manager they want at the club. I reckon we're keeping our ink dry until the summer when we'll go for somebody who's currently unavailable (like Ten Hag).
We are not privy to what goes on behind the scenes but an equally plausible scenario is simply Spurs approached Conte before Nuno. Conte had a list of demands he was not going to budge on or he was out, Spurs did not acquiesce to Conte's demands so he said no deal. He was happy to wait for the right project where his demands were met. Spurs went off and got Nuno, that appointment was abysmal and blew up pretty spectacularly in Levy's face, they returned to Conte, looked over his demands and agreed to them.

Conte held all the cards, he had already said no because they did not come to the table with what he saw as an acceptable offer. I'm pretty sure a manager of his stature would have zero problems telling Spurs to go jump a second time if his initial set of demands were not met.

Dansk

Conte history shows that he always take job for the underdog jobs for lack of better word. What I meant is all those jobs he took, they had one common in that there was no way to predict when the team would propel to the high level, and Conte has done well by achieving it very soon. Conte's choice of club is more adventurous than Mourinho. It's not just underachieving clubs, but seems to be club with limited ceiling which he would raise later.
I don't know about that. Over the last decade, he has managed Juventus, Italy, Chelsea and Inter. The only one who can remotely be called an underdog is Inter, and they were no more an underdog than we are at the moment. He started managing very young, and his earlier jobs were obviously just to learn the trade. He clearly didn't go to the likes of Arezzo and Bari with any notions of elevating them to astonishing heights any more than Rooney did when he took the Derby job. So in the "serious" part of his managerial career, Conte has managed exclusively top clubs and the national team of a country that has always been ranked amongst the best.

Judas

Open to offers
People are going to be quietly but not so quietly supporting Spurs on here now, purely because of their desperation that we should have hired Conte when really they just pretty much want anyone but Ole.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know about that. Over the last decade, he has managed Juventus, Italy, Chelsea and Inter. The only one who can remotely be called an underdog is Inter, and they were no more an underdog than we are at the moment. He started managing very young, and his earlier jobs were obviously just to learn the trade. He clearly didn't go to the likes of Arezzo and Bari with any notions of elevating them to astonishing heights any more than Rooney did when he took the Derby job. So in the "serious" part of his managerial career, Conte has managed exclusively top clubs and the national team of a country that has always been ranked amongst the best.
Inter weren't an underdog either. They were being bankrolled by Chinese money when he was there and were spending big. The article below shows that he was the third highest spending manager in football across his stints at Chelsea and Inter.

https://sempreinter.com/2020/11/20/...yers-of-all-managers-worldwide-since-2016-17/

Nero

People are going to be quietly but not so quietly supporting Spurs on here now, purely because of their desperation that we should have hired Conte when really they just pretty much want anyone but Ole.
I can't wait for the Conte thread to be bumped every time Spurs win a game.

Still happening with the Tuchel thread almost 12 months on.

Caesar2290

Same.

This shows we haven’t even remotely contacted him for Ole’s position.

I think we’ve identified somebody else and will stick with Ole until then.
I think it's the same.

It's either Poch or Ten Hag.

While Rodgers is being paraded as the likely heir, let's not forget that he had no qualms in jumping midseason from Celtic to take the job at Leicester. If we were after him, he'd already be our manager.

With Conte gone, it leaves us with 2 poteantial candidates.(3 if you count Potter)

Poch is a bit tricky. Unless he expects to be sacked by PSG by the end of the season I don't see how our board would be confident in securing his signature. And even if that were the case, why the feck would you sign someone who is 100% certain he not going to be the manager of the team at the end of season. A lot has been said about players downing tools, but in this case it would apply to the manager. Why would you sign someone who is 100% certain that he's not going to have a job by summer. But then again this is our board we are talking about.

That leaves Ten Hag as the only viable candidate that ticks all the boxes. Him snubbing Newcastle is a pretty big tell that someone bigger was in contact with him. Let's think logically: why would an up and coming manager turn down a team with an unlimited budget and lower expectations where he is going to have a free reign at building his legacy while being overseen by one of his close friends in Overmars?

My theory is it's either us or Barca who were in contact with him and we probably wanted assurances that he'd be on board to manager United. A lot has been said about the Barca-Dutch connection, but United have also had historically a very good connection with the Dutch. We never had a Dutch manager up until LVG, but tbh we never had a manager from outside the British Isles up until LVG.
So I expect Ole to get the LVG treatment once the season is over and be replaced by Ten Hag. This "the board backs the manager" is absolute PR bullshit. If they did, they would have come up with a statement within 24 hours after the Liverpool, but they didn't.

Water Melon

Well fooking done, Spurs. Just 2 points below us despite having a vastly inferior squad, and have already sacked their manager. Lets us see where we are come end of the year. My main conclusion is that Levy is more ambitions than the Glazers.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Well fooking done, Spurs. Just 2 points below us despite having a vastly inferior squad, and have already sacked their manager. Lets us see where we are come end of the year. My main conclusion is that Levy is more ambitions than the Glazers.
You’re joking? Right?

RoyH1

Conte is a good fit for the Spurs as a club. Once he gets going and if he gets the players he asked for, they'll be a tough, tough team to beat.

Lee565

This is the guy that won the premier league with moses as a starter and serie a with young as a starter, meanwhile ole needs another 100 million to get a world class 11 on the pitch just to actually challenge for the title....

Watch dier become world class defender under conte

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Why do you think he is joking?
He thinks Spurs have “more ambition” just because they’re hiring Conte. That’s all.

This a same Spurs side who barely outspend anyone of the top 6 & now he’s claiming they have more ambition because they’re getting Conte & we’re not.

Come on now

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He thinks Spurs have “more ambition” just because they’re hiring Conte. That’s all.

This a same Spurs side who barely outspend anyone of the top 6 & now he’s claiming they have more ambition because they’re getting Conte & we’re not.

Come on now
While united keeping ole. Yes. He's not wrong.

We're contempt with next year is our year with ole at the wheel.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I find it hard to imagine what Conte would be getting out of this. He's not likely to challenge the big 3 on Spurs' budget, he's already facing a little gap towards fourth place, there is a question mark behind Kane's motivation and in general I feel like outside of the CL he has nothing left to prove.

matsdf

While united keeping ole. Yes. He's not wrong.

We're contempt with next year is our year with ole at the wheel.
Just a simple reminder that Spurs hired Mourinho after his meltdown with us, and replaced him with the sacked Wolves manager. I'm not gonna talk about our ambitions, but I'm not exactly scared by Spurs' "ambition".

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If they can convince Kane he is still a footballer - or even sell him for a good profit and then replaced him with Vlahovic and a few other players he wants to shape his squad, they could be heading back to competitive.

Their squad isn't as bad as people make out, probably a few defensive reinforcements needed mainly.