Copa Oro aka Gold Cup

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
@WI_Red I see this Pepi kid as cemented himself into the FC Dallas lineup. Wonder when he's getting a callup? Has the size and skillset to perhaps lead the line in 2026 and beyond.

Justin Che another youngster with a promising future.

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for all the replies.

It's a funny thing to do given they only played the SF and Final in the Nations League, and the other last 4 teams like Mexico and Costa Rica have picked their strongest teams for both tournaments. And USA could have always put their key men mostly on the bench for the group stage of the Gold Cup and looked to use them more for the knock out stage.

It does sound like there's probably been dialogue between the top European clubs that the key men play for and it was decided they would only play in one of them - if they were only obliged to release them for one?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@WI_Red I see this Pepi kid as cemented himself into the FC Dallas lineup. Wonder when he's getting a callup? Has the size and skillset to perhaps lead the line in 2026 and beyond.

Justin Che another youngster with a promising future.
There are a couple of forward prospects emerging in the league right now. Cowell out in San Jose has looked good too. You figure on of these guys (Pepi, Cowell, Dike, Sargeant, etc.) has to make the breakthrough....right?

Not seen much of Che so far. Work/life has limited my MLS watch time. I essentially got the "PICK A LEAGUE" ultimatum at home. The train wreck caused by a dumpster fire that is Atl Utd made that choice easy :)

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
If Canada is full strength I think we win this although I haven't seen Mexico yet and we play them next.

Even with our under strength squad we were much better than Costa Rica surprisingly.

Add Davies, David, Arfield and Atiba we are actually dangerous if we can defend properly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thanks for all the replies.

It's a funny thing to do given they only played the SF and Final in the Nations League, and the other last 4 teams like Mexico and Costa Rica have picked their strongest teams for both tournaments. And USA could have always put their key men mostly on the bench for the group stage of the Gold Cup and looked to use them more for the knock out stage.

It does sound like there's probably been dialogue between the top European clubs that the key men play for and it was decided they would only play in one of them - if they were only obliged to release them for one?
I think the majority of the Mexican player pool is Liga MX or MLS based, which makes the call ups much easier. I am not sure if here is a single player in our best XI that is not in Europe. No I think GB thinks differently, but he is wrong.

Mexico national football team - Wikipedia

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If Canada is full strength I think we win this although I haven't seen Mexico yet and we play them next.

Even with our under strength squad we were much better than Costa Rica surprisingly.

Add Davies, David, Arfield and Atiba we are actually dangerous if we can defend properly.
To be fair that goes both ways. If we were at full strength I think we win this. :)

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
To be fair that goes both ways. If we were at full strength I think we win this. :)
Most likely. I assume US and Canada have more talent than Mexico these days.

I think the US can defend better full strength or not and should win this tournament.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Most likely. I assume US and Canada have more talent than Mexico these days.

I think the US can defend better full strength or not and should win this tournament.
I wouldn't take Mexico lightly, they were excellent in the Nations league and have some amazing talents. Lozano is still the best player in CONCACAF (yes, better than Davies and Pulisic, at least for now) and Corona/Herrera are great as well. Mexico's problem might be the lack of a next generation (other than Lainez) coming through.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
What would be absolutely delicious is a not full strength Canada or not full strength US team beat Mexico who are gunning hard for this tournament. It would cause such a meltdown.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What would be absolutely delicious is a not full strength Canada or not full strength US team beat Mexico who are gunning hard for this tournament. It would cause such a meltdown.
A Canada loss would probably get Tata fired and a loss to this USA team might do the same.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would be really weird if Qatar win this

Basement IPA

Supports
Manchester City
I wouldn't take Mexico lightly, they were excellent in the Nations league and have some amazing talents. Lozano is still the best player in CONCACAF (yes, better than Davies and Pulisic, at least for now) and Corona/Herrera are great as well. Mexico's problem might be the lack of a next generation (other than Lainez) coming through.
Um, their Olympic team qualified for the Olympics, which the US hasn't done for... how many Olympics in a row? And when was the last time Canada qualified? Plus, the under-17 team were U-17 World Cup finalists in 2019. In fact, I think Mexico has a more promising newer generation than the US or Canada.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Um, their Olympic team qualified for the Olympics, which the US hasn't done for... how many Olympics in a row? And when was the last time Canada qualified? Plus, the under-17 team were U-17 World Cup finalists in 2019. In fact, I think Mexico has a more promising newer generation than the US or Canada.
I wouldn't really take anything from the abomination that was the US Olympic qualifying. Between a horrific head coach selection (lifetime failure Jason Kreis) and a roster construction that was insane (similar to gold cup roster there were no wingers and one attacking midfielder) the team never had a chance anyways, but the biggest reason is that of the top 25 eligible players (my list, so I am sure I missed/overrated players) only 2 were on the team (bolded below) and Ochoa might have been the best US player.

I am not saying Mexico has no good young players, but the current crop of U23's is not on the same level as the US. This cold change as new players emerge, but in my view this is the current state. At the senior level you can see that the previous generation (current 25-29 year olds) is waaaaaay in Mexico's favor. That is the missing US generation.

Christian Pulisic, W, Chelsea
Tyler Adams, MF, RB Leipzig
Giovanni Reyna, MF/W, Borussia Dortmund
Sergino Dest, RB/LB, Barcelona
Weston McKennie, MF, Juventus
Josh Sargent, FW, Werder Bremen
Timothy Weah, FW, Lille
Chris Richards, CB/RB, Bayern Munich
Yunus Musah, MF, Valencia
Konrad de la Fuente, FW/W, Barcelona
Antonee Robinson, LB, Fulham
Brenden Aaronson, MF, Philadelphia Union
Paxton Pomykal, MF, FC Dallas
Reggie Cannon, RB, Boavista
Richard Ledezma, MF, PSV Eindhoven
Sebastian Soto, FW, Norwich
Nicholas Gioacchini, FW, Caen
James Sands, MF, NYCFC
Miles Robinson, DF, Atlanta United FC
Mark McKenzie, DF, Philadelphia Union
Gianluca Busio, MF, Sporting Kansas City
Caden Clark, MF, New York Red Bulls
Bryan Reynolds, RB, Roma
Justin Che, CB/RB. FC Dallas
David Ochoa, GK, RSL

firstkuyttouch

No love for John Brooks? Also, where has Miazga’s career gone….is he playing at least

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No love for John Brooks? Also, where has Miazga’s career gone….is he playing at least
john brooks is over 23 so was not eligible for Olympic Qualifying. Still our best CB by a mile. Miazga is over 23 as well. Not sure where he is going to be playing this year as he is still at Chelsea but I am guessing he is going out on loan.

firstkuyttouch

john brooks is over 23 so was not eligible for Olympic Qualifying. Still our best CB by a mile. Miazga is over 23 as well. Not sure where he is going to be playing this year as he is still at Chelsea but I am guessing he is going out on loan.
derppp didn’t realize you were talking u23 only, my bad

You’re bloody hilarious in the politics thread by the way mate, your sense of humor helped keep me sane over the winter

maybe not the thread for it, but would love to know who people think the top 25 USA players are at present. A couple years ago would’ve personally thought Yedlinny, Miazga and uhhh Brek Shea would be near the top so obviously I have nothing to bring to the conversation. Except perhaps John Brooks v Belgium in 2014 should be taught in classes

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
derppp didn’t realize you were talking u23 only, my bad

You’re bloody hilarious in the politics thread by the way mate, your sense of humor helped keep me sane over the winter

maybe not the thread for it, but would love to know who people think the top 25 USA players are at present. A couple years ago would’ve personally thought Yedlinny, Miazga and uhhh Brek Shea would be near the top so obviously I have nothing to bring to the conversation. Except perhaps John Brooks v Belgium in 2014 should be taught in classes
No worries!

Thanks by the way. It may not be shocking, but the politics thread kept me sane since last November. I still don't think I recovered from the election night thread and I am pretty sure 50% of all the posts that night in the thread were mine.

Pop on over to the US Football thread ( What happened to US football - Golden Generation ) and I'll give my bad take on your question.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Qatar is set up perfectly to distrust Berhalter ball. The deep lying 6 is the focal point and they have shut Acosta down. Seeing as how I have yet to ever see GB make an in game adjustment it is going to be a long night

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Great through ball, Dike first touch:nono:

Qatar is well organized on defense. They play well as a unit for sure. I have not watched them, they have more quality than I expected

NYAS

Knew you guys would be surprised. They are champions of Asia, by the way.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Knew you guys would be surprised. They are champions of Asia, by the way.
Not surprised at all. This is our C+ team and our shit coach doesn’t have the A teams talent to hide his tactical shitness. We should be losing and I was thinking it would be a 2-0 loss.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not a Zardas fan, but Dike is doing nothing out there. Get Zardes in

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m not a Zardas fan, but Dike is doing nothing out there. Get Zardes in
it should be Hoppe up front. Too bad our shit manager only brought 2 shit wingers (one so shit he won’t even play him) so he needs to play Hoppe out wide.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is unacceptable by Berhalter. It is obvious that both Dike and Ariola are nowhere close to being healthy.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love that the US has embraced the CONCACAF shithousery. That always happens to us.

Bertie Wooster

it should be Hoppe up front. Too bad our shit manager only brought 2 shit wingers (one so shit he won’t even play him) so he needs to play Hoppe out wide.
I only follow USA from a distance nowadays (I used to watch a lot of MLS over here in the UK but don't get to see much nowadays).

Do USA have a good MLS based manager they could have appointed instead of Berhalter, or would they have to go down the foreign route?

I'd love USA to really kick on and was hoping this talented generation was the start of something. It's a shame if they haven't got a manager capable of getting the best out of them?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I only follow USA from a distance nowadays (I used to watch a lot of MLS over here in the UK but don't get to see much nowadays).

Do USA have a good MLS based manager they could have appointed instead of Berhalter, or would they have to go down the foreign route?

I'd love USA to really kick on and was hoping this talented generation was the start of something. It's a shame if they haven't got a manager capable of getting the best out of them?
Nope. Even if they did I would say hell no. The US Soccer/MLS cabal is holding us back.

the best American coach is probably Marsch, but there is no way he leaves RBL. The US was never going to hire anyone else but GB. I mean, one of the people involved in the hire was also named Berhalter!!