g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Coronavirus Champions League - QF - Sjor/Invictus vs Moby

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Seeler played in a wide-range CAM role behind Müller in 1970. RW was occupied by Libuda or Grabowski (and maybe someone else I've forgotten, Germany had truckloads of wingers back then).

As I see it, you have three attackers who all were at their best in some sort of free role. That means they occupied different position over a game, yes - but I'm not sure the result of playing them together is a situation were all positions are reliably covered as they should.

Maybe a primary balance player instead of one of them would have been better for the team shape. Someone whose main task is to react to the alphas and their movement, which in turn frees up the main players as well. Seeler was an exemplary teamplayer, so he's the natural fit there, but I'm not sure that's really the answer.
Thought about 66 WC but now i see Muller didnt play there so sorry about that. Anyways, in 66 he pretty much played the same role as he has here. Switching between striker role and right wing, think you have footage from all games in the compilation thread if you need or want to check it up.

Moby

Dick
Just like having a ball winner like Desailly will stop your midfield being as fluid in possession as you think they gonna be. Desailly will also have his hand full with Fenomeno who will roam all over, i have no doubts in my mind that De Bruyne will find his pockets to deliver his delivery.
Not really. Firstly Desailly wasn't a mug on the ball. Even during his latter years as CB he used to be a ball playing defender, and for Milan during his peak years in midfield he was pretty much involved in the build up. Not that he would be needed to do a lot of that here as he has two of the greatest playmakers ever next to him. Also we have two proper wingers, not wing forwards, both of whom will be expected to participate in the midfield unit when going forward. They will generally be in close quarters with the midfield unit because both of them were elite dribblers, and were used to getting the ball in deep areas and then taking it past a host of players.

Dzajic epecially wouldn't mind coming back a bit to take the ball and then give Zambrotta a nice old Serbian pasting.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Thought about 66 WC but now i see Muller didnt play there so sorry about that. Anyways, in 66 he pretty much played the same role as he has here. Switching between striker role and right wing, think you have footage from all games in the compilation thread if you need or want to check it up.
I'll do. Might also be another good idea for the Dead Drafters.

DVG7

@Šjor Bepo remember that time you said that a front 3 of a GOAT LW candidate, the absolute GOAT false 9 and a world class RW was one of the worst youd ever seen? Then you try to argue that your front three will function no problem. Baffled.

Šjor Bepo

Not really. Firstly Desailly wasn't a mug on the ball. Even during his latter years as CB he used to be a ball playing defender, and for Milan during his peak years in midfield he was pretty much involved in the build up. Not that he would be needed to do a lot of that here as he has two of the greatest playmakers ever next to him. Also we have two proper wingers, not wing forwards, both of whom will be expected to participate in the midfield unit when going forward. They will generally be in close quarters with the midfield unit because both of them were elite dribblers, and were used to getting the ball in deep areas and then taking it past a host of players.

Dzajic epecially wouldn't mind coming back a bit to take the ball and then give Zambrotta a nice old Serbian pasting.
i mean you cant question De Bruyne and Scholes defensive game and then talk about Desailly ability on the ball. He was okay-ish at best and you will never get the fluid interplay with him in the midfield, not really a bad thing if you dont aim for it but to really dominate the pitch here with weaknesses you have in the defensive phase(front 4 doing very little) then you need a much more astute and nimble player.

Šjor Bepo

@Šjor Bepo remember that time you said that a front 3 of a GOAT LW candidate, the absolute GOAT false 9 and a world class RW was one of the worst youd ever seen? Then you try to argue that your front three will function no problem. Baffled.
butt still hurts A? maybe you can text someone and ask what to do, i dont know....Jenna Jameson daughter?

Moby

Dick
i mean you cant question De Bruyne and Scholes defensive game and then talk about Desailly ability on the ball. He was okay-ish at best and you will never get the fluid interplay with him in the midfield, not really a bad thing if you dont aim for it but to really dominate the pitch here with weaknesses you have in the defensive phase(front 4 doing very little) then you need a much more astute and nimble player.
Yeah I am not arguing that he will be a primary impact maker on the ball, and like I said I don't need him to when I have 4 elite player ON the ball in terms of passing, dribbling and interplay. All 4 of them can pick the ball up at various points in the middle and attacking third and single handedly hurt the opposition, let alone when they have that much quality around them to play off. The likes of Dzajic and Zidane used to carry the entire burden of attack on themselves and took their teams to WC wins, WC finals, Euro wins and Euro finals.

The individual talent itself is far too great to handle here, and the likes of Zambrotta vs. Dzajic or KDB defending vs. Falcao will not end well in any circumstance.

Moby

Dick
While we argue on how Falcao will turn that midfield around, he has this man to feed and play off, with proper width to stretch the opposition and posing their own insane offensive threat, this is what we have in store in the middle.

Šjor Bepo

Yeah I am not arguing that he will be a primary impact maker on the ball, and like I said I don't need him to when I have 4 elite player ON the ball in terms of passing, dribbling and interplay. All 4 of them can pick the ball up at various points in the middle and attacking third and single handedly hurt the opposition, let alone when they have that much quality around them to play off. The likes of Dzajic and Zidane used to carry the entire burden of attack on themselves and took their teams to WC wins, WC finals, Euro wins and Euro finals.

The individual talent itself is far too great to handle here, and the likes of Zambrotta vs. Dzajic or KDB defending vs. Falcao will not end well in any circumstance.
I mean its an open pool, same can be said almost about any player in the draft.
Fenomeno vs anyone(with history of tearing Ayala a new one and good performances against Desailly)
Scholes vs no pressers from your offensive live, talking about running the game....
Cristiano in the air against Ayala and midget Passarella

We can go on like this forever....

Moby

Dick
I mean its an open pool, same can be said almost about any player in the draft.
Fenomeno vs anyone(with history of tearing Ayala a new one and good performances against Desailly)
Scholes vs no pressers from your offensive live, talking about running the game....
Cristiano in the air against Ayala and midget Passarella

We can go on like this forever....
Passarella has been instructed to elbow Cristiano into oblivion. Won't be seen after the first 5 minutes.

Šjor Bepo

Passarella has been instructed to elbow Cristiano into oblivion. Won't be seen after the first 5 minutes.
I hope so, prick can go out then and we will sub the Derry Pele :drool:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Šjor Bepo
Watched some 1966 Seeler stuff, and I can see what you mean. I'd imagine interplay with De Bruyne would be similar to that with Haller then - KDB playing deeper or more centrally when Seeler is out wide, but situationally providing width when Seeler is in the center.

Didn't expect it, but I'm starting to warm up to that setup.

@GodShaveTheQueen
Also means I can understand your Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez impression better.

Šjor Bepo

good game @Moby , though the feck im gonna do with wingers now? :o