Coronavirus in football

Rooney1987

Sure the PL is happy about this, players less likely to do anything else other then training and home. Games less likely to get cancelled.

Poltophagy

Why is Kyle Walker's Christmas party not being mentioned in the media? It has caused a huge outbreak among Premier League players and as a result has caused games to be postponed but there has hardly been a word about him? When Greenwood brought a girl back to his room in Iceland he was absolutely hammered in the media for months despite the fact he didn't cause a single case of the virus. Am I missing something here?
Greenwood is a Manchester United player. Kyle Walker plays for a team that most newspaper readers don't know or care about.

Plymouth Red

Anyone caught breaking covid-rules should be automatically banned for 6 matches - it should be considered twice as bad as a red card for violent conduct
I would support a longer ban but I would also like to see points deducted for the club. Currently, any bad publicity is short lived and of limited consequence for the club. Risking the chance of silverware, perhaps impacting promotion or relegation would focus minds in the dressing room as a whole and introduce more collective responsibility.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That is a lot. Fulham and City outbreaks + players being idiots over Christmas?

RashyForPM

Should go down starting from about the end of January when certain players have no/less reason to keep being idiots.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Either going to result in a ridiculously unrealistic fixture pile up, or the league will simply have to get suspended again (the right option depending on circumstances). That is a massive amount. Provided the next 2-3 rounds show a drop in positives each time, we should be alright. IF it continues to rise, this season is getting stopped (or should).

Redlyn

So they could suspend the league again? And if so, can they call it early once we are top?:angel:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would love to know where these cases are. It will all come out. Haven't they said if F.A. games need cancelling it could involve a forfeit of the game.

Spark

Feel like Fulham and City numbers are baked in to the newly reported cases, although it's hard (/I can't be arsed to check) to work out the overlap with the date ranges.

What's certain though is that football is not immune to the vast number of cases rising elsewhere. With the new lockdown, I think the Prem will come out relatively unscathed and won't need cancelling. It's the lower leagues that risk being overwhelmed with cancellations.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
30th December (Spurs) and 3rd January(Burnley) were games cancelled by Fulham, the first game would not be due to New Years Eve.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
UEFA won't scrap it for financial reasons and they won't do a mini tournament because they'd be sued to death by the non-participating countries that qualified for the original tournament.

What they should do is make the tournament shorter and more compact. Scrap the pointless R16, go straight to the QFs. There's absolutely no point having 16 of 24 teams progress anyway, it makes the groups so dull. Cut down on all the ridiculous locations too, have the whole tournament in one country with 4-5 stadiums in close proximity.

Two groups every day for 9 days. Then all the QFs on days 11-12. SFs on day 15. Final on day 18. Saves almost 2.5 weeks of dragging on the tournament for no good reason.
Cutting the L16 is an interesting idea but it saves only a few days. Compare that to the 18 day "minimum tournament" you've come up with plus a minimum of a week to prepare plus a minimum of a week rest afterwards.. even an 18 day minimum tournament is at least 32 days of preparation and recovery.

I don't think they'll scrap the L16 to save 4 days of 36. It's a good idea though

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
League cup semi finalist's should have got a bye into the 4th round of the FA cup.

Too late now but would have saved a fixture

lysglimt

Scout
League cup semi finalist's should have got a bye into the 4th round of the FA cup.

3rd round of the FA Cup is usually a good match to let fringe players get a match - and to let other players be suspended so they can play against Liverpool

Eugenius

58 positives is massive, especially considering the knock-on contact-isolating it will mean. Expecting to see lots of games rescheduled at the very least.
1 in 50 people have it in the UK right now. Hard to insulate footballers from the outside world completely.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Just imagine if Liverpool had been in the League Cup semifinals and Utd hadn't and those rules were put in place!

Judas

Open to offers
I can see a good amount of FA Cup games being called off, its such a shame for those smaller teams especially missing out on what should be massive money makers.

bsCallout

Really will be a punch in the gut to see football cancelled again. I think they can and will ride it out though.

Bulldog United

I’d cancel the FA Cup too much travelling up and down the country and mixing with lower league players who don’t have the same resources or protection as the big teams.

I’d also kick city out of all competitions as punishment for their players behaviour.