Coronavirus in football

peridigm

Arsenal vs Wolves postponed due to Covid in Wolves. That means our match against Wolves on Monday could be postponed as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel absolutely fuming in his interview today about lack of 5 subs and no break... wonder if subs will be changed again ?

choccy77

Jordan Pickfords wife promoting anti Vax.

He should be dropped immediately, as should all players not vaccinated.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tuchel absolutely fuming in his interview today about lack of 5 subs and no break... wonder if subs will be changed again ?
It's the minimum requirement really. As boring as football without fans is, that also seems like an obvious conclusion to this wave.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can`t see how you can drop Pickford for something his wife says.
A lot of these footballers are influenced by their wives and their points of view. Just look when clubs try to sign someone and their wives don't fancy it. If they are listening to their other halves and if those other halves are not qualified medically, then it is a problem. I would rather listen to an expert, than a WAG.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A lot of these footballers are influenced by their wives and their points of view. Just look when clubs try to sign someone and their wives don't fancy it. If they are listening to their other halves and if those other halves are not qualified medically, then it is a problem. I would rather listen to an expert, than a WAG.
There's being influenced by some horrible anti vax philosophy, and being a decent husband not wanting to uproot your family hundreds of miles away. Two massively different things.

Acole9

Outstanding
Jordan Pickfords wife promoting anti Vax.

He should be dropped immediately, as should all players not vaccinated.
Doesn't surprise me. Another poster posted a story about him on here a while ago. Not the brightest.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The integrity of the competition has gone completely this season now.

When you have United and Spurs so many games behind, having to cram games in later in the season on the whim of the TV masters, it just doesn't seem a level playing field any more to me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unvaccinated players should be docked wages for every week they miss, not make their bonuses etc. they will soon change their minds

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The integrity of the competition has gone completely this season now.

When you have United and Spurs so many games behind, having to cram games in later in the season on the whim of the TV masters, it just doesn't seem a level playing field any more to me.
Integrity in football is a myth. Going purely on what's "right" any non title winner shouldn't be in the UCL over the winners of any top flight European league but none of us complain, to pluck one of many examples.

Furthermore, fixture backlog isn't a new thing further down the pyramid, I remember a league two side had 8 games in hand around a decade ago.

Champ

Integrity in football is a myth. Going purely on what's "right" any non title winner shouldn't be in the UCL over the winners of any top flight European league but none of us complain, to pluck one of many examples.

Furthermore, fixture backlog isn't a new thing further down the pyramid, I remember a league two side had 8 games in hand around a decade ago.
Integrity in football is not a myth!!

Football may be skewed towards the rich, but in terms of fixtures it's always been generally pretty much a level playing field.

The competition is heavily skewed this season due to multiple postponements of games, giving some teams rest periods, but then forcing other teams into playing multiple games in short periods with minimal rest.
No wonder you have managers and players now raising the subject of player welfare.

Ludens the Red

Aye, integrity and level playing field left football about thirty years ago.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Integrity in football is not a myth!!

Football may be skewed towards the rich, but in terms of fixtures it's always been generally pretty much a level playing field.

The competition is heavily skewed this season due to multiple postponements of games, giving some teams rest periods, but then forcing other teams into playing multiple games in short periods with minimal rest.
No wonder you have managers and players now raising the subject of player welfare.
Fixtures defiently are not a level playing field, an example from this season being our teams practically got a handout away to Spurs while Liverpool had to face Conte. Teams that faced Ole's United got an advantage over the one's that didn't.

There's always inbalances that favour certain teams.

choccy77

Professional sports people should do whatever it takes to ensure they are available to play for the team they are paid outrageously to perform for.

Choice should not be an option unless there are legitimate medical reasons.

It affects more than just the individual athlete and they should be not paid if they are unable to play or train.

I also believe United will have trouble selling certain players in a January as I suspect they are unvaccinated.

Of course, there will be clubs desperate to sign anyone and take a risk, but it's stupid short-sightedness.

Champ

Fixtures defiently are not a level playing field, an example from this season being our teams practically got a handout away to Spurs while Liverpool had to face Conte. Teams that faced Ole's United got an advantage over the one's that didn't.

There's always inbalances that favour certain teams.
What's different managers got to do with integrity of fixtures and competition?

Its still the same Spurs/United teams and players that took the field in each game?!

The simple fact is United and Spurs in particular now have a difficult three months in order to fit in the postponements, and this will heavily skew the competition, there's probably not a team that hasn't been impacted by this, but some will be impacted more than others, hence the integrity is gone.

Pep's Suit

Most of these players are ridiculously stupid so I don't expect their WAGs to be rocket scientists. If anything those are only interested in money and fancy, easy life they can have so they could be even dumber. In the end that vaccination rate over 70% is a big success but can imagine clubs tried to pressure players as much as possible behind the scene.

ForeverRed1

Professional sports people should do whatever it takes to ensure they are available to play for the team they are paid outrageously to perform for.

Choice should not be an option unless there are legitimate medical reasons.

It affects more than just the individual athlete and they should be not paid if they are unable to play or train.

I also believe United will have trouble selling certain players in a January as I suspect they are unvaccinated.

Of course, there will be clubs desperate to sign anyone and take a risk, but it's stupid short-sightedness.
do you honestly think that if you have 100% of the premier league vaccinated it’s going to stop covid? It won’t. It will still be a thing just like it is now, it will obviously help keep the symptoms milder..which is good.. but it’s not going anywhere vaccinated or not. The only way play resumes as normal is if players play with it, which they are not going to do.

it’s not going anywhere regardless. It’s sticking around for the long haul.

ForeverRed1

Unvaccinated players should be docked wages for every week they miss, not make their bonuses etc. they will soon change their minds
but the players that had covid were vaccinated and missed games? Ralf even said, it helped keep the symptoms milder, it didn’t stop them getting covid and missing games?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
but the players that had covid were vaccinated and missed games? Ralf even said, it helped keep the symptoms milder, it didn’t stop them getting covid and missing games?
Would be interesting to keep them away from the group of vaccinated players and see how many outbreaks there are

Eli Zee

It does stop them.
If a player is unvaxxed and in contact with someone who tests positive, then they have to isolate. A vaccinated player doesn't have to isolate after contact unless they show symptoms or test positive. Vaccinated players are less likely to get the virus when around someone who has it.

Also, vaccinated players are probably going to be just more open to following covid protocols then anti-vax players, and probably stay a little safer from covid that way. I must admit this last paragraph is all conjecture but makes sense to me.

Reactions: Cheimoon

ForeverRed1

It does stop them.
If a player is unvaxxed and in contact with someone who tests positive, then they have to isolate. A vaccinated player doesn't have to isolate after contact unless they show symptoms or test positive. Vaccinated players are less likely to get the virus when around someone who has it.

Also, vaccinated players are probably going to be just more open to following covid protocols then anti-vax players, and probably stay a little safer from covid that way. I must admit this last paragraph is all conjecture but makes sense to me.
yeah which is true.. but it’s more a government guideline issue than a actual fear of catching covid issue.

you either have covid or you don’t. And also I find people who are vaccinated are less cautious because they feel protected but that’s just my experience with work and friends and family etc.

the point of what I’m really saying though is if we get 100% vaccinated we will still have cases and still have isolation and if we think that the vaccine will stop covid, it won’t.

It’s a problem with very few answers with how to stop it because it’s a virus that just spreads like wildfire. It’s a fecking ballache. More now than ever.

I think we’re all just over it at this point :(

Eli Zee

yeah which is true.. but it’s more a government guideline issue than a actual fear of catching covid issue.

you either have covid or you don’t. And also I find people who are vaccinated are less cautious because they feel protected but that’s just my experience with work and friends and family etc.

the point of what I’m really saying though is if we get 100% vaccinated we will still have cases and still have isolation and if we think that the vaccine will stop covid, it won’t.

It’s a problem with very few answers with how to stop it because it’s a virus that just spreads like wildfire. It’s a fecking ballache. More now than ever.

I think we’re all just over it at this point :(
Yeah. It's definitely not going away, any time soon, if ever. But just because it isn't going away doesn't mean players shouldnt be doing what they can to prevent themselves from getting the virus.

As a regular person, I'm doing what I can to not catch it. I don't see why it would be different for people that are pro athletes.
It's a public health issue. If everyone followed the guidelines and acknowledged that science is real and covid isn't fake, the public would also be healthier overall probably. Getting the whole league 100% vaccinated is going to be better than anything less because it's proven vaccines work.

ForeverRed1

Yeah. It's definitely not going away, any time soon, if ever. But just because it isn't going away doesn't mean players shouldnt be doing what they can to prevent themselves from getting the virus.

As a regular person, I'm doing what I can to not catch it. I don't see why it would be different for people that are pro athletes.
It's a public health issue. If everyone followed the guidelines and acknowledged that science is real and covid isn't fake, the public would also be healthier overall probably. Getting the whole league 100% vaccinated is going to be better than anything less because it's proven vaccines work.
oh covid is 100% real as I currently have it and am holed up at home. Missed out on Xmas with this damn thing. No sense of smell or taste which is pretty rubbish. I’m also triple vaccinated and really careful when it comes to not wanting it:mad: my cousin and uncle have it aswell, both triple vaccinated, so yes it’s real and that’s nothing close to what I’m saying.

I’m saying, vaccinated people are still getting covid and still spreading it all over the place, clubs, bars, venues, work places, it’s spreading like crazy right now and if you think that being vaccinated will suddenly make the premier league run smoothly your in for a shock.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Aye, integrity and level playing field left football about thirty years ago.
Football was a level playing field 30 years ago? News to me. Football has always had rich clubs and poor clubs, and success has usually followed the former not the latter. As for integrity, its not like clubs and the football authorities have ever been anything other than crooked or at best focused in their own self interests.

fluxx

What are the chances our game against wolves is cancelled? I´ve got tickets and need to arrange transportation, would appreciate any help.

Eli Zee

oh covid is 100% real as I currently have it and am holed up at home. Missed out on Xmas with this damn thing. No sense of smell or taste which is pretty rubbish. I’m also triple vaccinated and really careful when it comes to not wanting it:mad: my cousin and uncle have it aswell, both triple vaccinated, so yes it’s real and that’s nothing close to what I’m saying.

I’m saying, vaccinated people are still getting covid and still spreading it all over the place, clubs, bars, venues, work places, it’s spreading like crazy right now and if you think that being vaccinated will suddenly make the premier league run smoothly your in for a shock.
Yeah, that sucks man. Hope you all feel better. There's always a chance if none of you were vaccinated, you'd be sitting on a ventilator or dead right now.... or maybe you'd have the exact same experience. I'm sure it varies by person / genetics as well. Either way, hope you feel better

I don't think everyone being vaccinated will make the premier league run smoothly. I do think that the higher the % of vaccinated players, the less chance of cancelling games though and the more smooth the season will go. Not perfect, but better than it would be otherwise.
Of course, with these new variants and vaccine being less effective against them, who knows anymore.

ForeverRed1

Yeah, that sucks man. Hope you all feel better. There's always a chance if none of you were vaccinated, you'd be sitting on a ventilator or dead right now.... or maybe you'd have the exact same experience. I'm sure it varies by person / genetics as well. Either way, hope you feel better

I don't think everyone being vaccinated will make the premier league run smoothly. I do think that the higher the % of vaccinated players, the less chance of cancelling games though and the more smooth the season will go. Not perfect, but better than it would be otherwise.
Of course, with these new variants and vaccine being less effective against them, who knows anymore.
That’s kind of where I’m at with it all, who actually knows? It’s all what if and if we do this... but so far it’s not really that much different. Infact there’s more cases than there’s ever been since the beginning so god only knows.

feels like the goalposts keep moving, I mean I didn’t expect to have to get a booster after 6 months but here we all are. Will it be another booster in another 6 and so on so forth forever ?

its great that most players and managers are now vaccinated but I do think coercing players into a vaccine they don’t want or question feels a little wrong. But I’m a believer in personal choice and risk. Once we’re all vaccinated, then what? It’s still going to be rife amongst us, there will be new variants I’m sure, where do we draw the line? I guess it’s a endless stream of questions and highly divisive but it feels like most people are scared to even ask questions. I see it from both sides really and got the vaccine because I want normality over anything else.. but so far we’re 100000s miles off that happening despite the vaccine.

it’s a real mess and the premier league is no different i guess.