Could Bruno break the PL record for goals from midfield?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Record is Lampard with 22, Bruno is currently on 6 from 8 games, so he’s got 30 more games to get 17 goals. Think he can do it?

* Ronaldo 07-08 doesn’t count as he played several games in a front 3.

Mr PG

Some UTD fans have a "misplaced passes stat and Only scores penalties stat" for Bruno...

Member 90887

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how many penalties Lampard scored in the season he broke the record?
Found this, apparently 10 from the 22 were penalties.

In 2009/2010, Frank Lampard scored 22 goals, 10 were penalties. . He played 11 penalties, scored 10, missed 1.

cyberman

If you can make that argument for Lampard you’d have to make the same argument for Bruno.
Bruno is all over the pitch though. Lampard was further forward playing off Drogba who who holding it up and laying it off for him. Brunos role is nire dynamic.
The assist record alone kills this argument. Hes genuinely a midfielder.

Flexdegea

Absolute whopper player.

First signing in a long long time ive got genuine fan boi love for.

Need to head over to see the fan page where your man was saying he does nothing special, cant remember his name but hes comedy :lol:

Member 90887

Record is Lampard with 22, Bruno is currently on 6 from 8 games, so he’s got 30 more games to get 17 goals. Think he can do it?

* Ronaldo 07-08 doesn’t count as he played several games in a front 3.
You can specify that 10 out of those 22 goals for lampard were penalties. It'll help shut the discussions around them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not easy to break Lampard’s record though but I think he’s capable since he’s similar to Lampard in term of their type of goals they scored.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Bruno is all over the pitch though. Lampard was further forward playing off Drogba who who holding it up and laying it off for him. Brunos role is nire dynamic.
The assist record alone kills this argument. Hes genuinely a midfielder.
Lampard played some games in a 4-4-2 as a CM & as a CM in a 4-3-3. He wasn’t exclusively a 10.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

You can specify that 10 out of those 22 goals for lampard were penalties. It'll help shut the discussions around them.
I don’t remember anyone labelling Lampard a pen merchant in 2010 either :lol:

I guess it was pre the big twitter boom though wasn’t it

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Played more than half of his games to the right of a 3 man attack, so no.

People forget Rooney played LW that season & assume him & Tevez played up front.
Wouldn’t say he was a forward at all like the modern day Salah’s and Mane’s. He was still more of a winger.

cyberman

Lampard played some games in a 4-4-2 as a CM & as a CM in a 4-3-3. He wasn’t exclusively a 10.
Almost always though. Makelele, Essien, Ballack all played behind him for the majority of those seasons. He never went deep to get the ball, drift wide etc. He was there making late runs into the box or playing off Drogba to get up the pitch.
He was as much of a midfielder as Scholes was before he was dropped back.

Green_Red

He got close to it before in his previous league so don't see why it wouldn't be possible. It would be a nice goal for him to set himself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How many of Lampard's 22 were either non pens or non deflections?

Green_Red

How many of Lampard's 22 were either non pens or non deflections?
He used to take a lot of penalties for Chelsea didn't he?

Just checked.
32 of his 177 total goals were penalties.
10 of his 22 in a season were penalties.

el3mel

It should be possible, no reason why it won't happen as long as he stays fit.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think it is unlikely. Bruno’s scored half of his goals from open play for us against Everton and tonight. He needs to work on those Lampard-esque late runs to become really prolific. Promising signs in recent weeks though.

Mainoldo

Good shout he could do. Would need about 10 pens and I can see him getting outfield goals. But if anyone can do it.

The United

He needs to be more selfish though. He seems more eager to set up for others at times.

Web of Bissaka

Lampard primary role is to score goals no?
Bruno's is to create and assist primarily, to join in scoring whenever he had the chance is secondary.

Both of course are on penalty duty mainly, but there's a chance Bruno will concede to Rashford or others. Don't remember other Chelsea players than Lampard who took the penalties. Bruno is more of a playmaker while Lampard is an attacking goal seeker.

Interestingly even with that, :devil: he has very good chance.
So what if he scored a lot of penalties. Plenty have missed it anyway, it's not that easy. As other said, even Lampard scored a lot of pens in his record breaking season.

EDIT: Also VAR is here to help. Easy.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

I don’t remember anyone labelling Lampard a pen merchant in 2010 either :lol:

I guess it was pre the big twitter boom though wasn’t it
I still remember a lot of people alluded to that.
Not "penalty merchant" exactly, but always mention something like "well many of his goals are from penalties", so essentially what Bruno is getting nowadays.

Even the caf often mentioned that I recalled at that time.

Number32

Think it is unlikely. Bruno’s scored half of his goals from open play for us against Everton and tonight. He needs to work on those Lampard-esque late runs to become really prolific. Promising signs in recent weeks though.
He is already doing that, but we have at least 2 ball hogging forwards playing every match. Would be a different story if he played with Kane or Haaland, or may be we should start Cavani.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I still remember a lot of people alluded to that.
Not "penalty merchant" exactly, but always mention something like "well many of his goals are from penalties", so essentially what Bruno is getting nowadays.

Even the caf often mentioned that I recalled at that time.
Fair. I do remember everyone the jokes about all of his goals being deflected potshots.

It didn’t seem as obnoxious as the “Penandes” stuff but I guess it’s always gonna be amplified with the rise of social media