Could it be best for the long run if we lose the Europa League final?

Could it be best for the long run if we lose the Europa League final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

What next? Would it be good if we get relegated..

Winninf Europa is a must, playing in champions league football is a must. Whole season would be one big gigantic waste if we don't play champions league next season.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Apart from the obvious no..... it would impact on the type of player we could attract (we need 9/10 players not more 6/10 or 7/10). Also, if reports are true, we'd lose 30% of our Adidas deal (£22.5m).

There's no positives to come out of a slowly slowly approach.... We've wasted three years, we need to challenge properly next year and winning the EL is key in that.

PeteManic

Do people just post up stuff on a Sat night to get a bit of attention? Top Reds on tonight.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I know the OP starts with "bear with me", but that's the only sentence I read. I didn't read the rest. I'll treat it as a personal challenge to meditate throughout my life on what possible combination of ideas can lead to a positive answer for the statement in the thread title. ´

I've done the same with a maths exercise I was given in some math Olympics during high school, more than 20 years ago. To this day I never looked for the solution, though I shared the problem with a couple of friends and none resolved it. If you want to give it a try yourself it goes like this:

The drawing may not be perfect as I suck at paint but consider the side of the large square to measure 2 and the side of the small square to measure 1. The goal is to determine the radius (or diameter) of the circle, which touches the vertex of the small square and touches on (but does not intersect) the sides of the large square. I still haven't figured it out :mad:

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I do believe you. Apologies if it came across harsh. I don't think you have any issues with mental health; I do... so I should know.

Your view that losing the Europa final could potentially help Utd is a bit insane though. I love the idea of us unearthing some gems but right now we need experienced, quality players and being in the CL will determine the calibre of player we can buy. Once we have a solid nucleus in place and we're playing well, then we can start looking at bringing some young, unfinished players in.

We HAVE to beat Ajax. It's a massive game.
I agree. Was just a discussion point. It's certainly provoked that, but mostly at my expense. Fine by me, love a good debate.

I'm begging for us to win it, I don't really know much about Ajax aside from watching the Europa highlights but I do know that we MUST play better than last Thursday. It's not at OT which this season gives me some optimism!

davidmichael

So basically Sir Alex was a failure because he won trophies, spent big money when needed and had us in the Champions League ?

If you look at the players Jose brought in during the summer you'd only say Pogba was a big money signing or seen as world class, Zlatan was a free whilst Bailly wasn't known by anyone really and Mkhitaryan was always seen as a great player that flew under the radar and only looked at by the biggest clubs.

The idea of finding cheap gems like Ronaldo, De Gea, Vidic, Evra, Solskjaer and the like is a lovely one but doesn't always work out especially in this era so you need to spend money and be in the biggest competitions in order to sign these players so we NEED to win the Europa final to sustain or rebuild the success of the past 25 years.

We want to sign the likes of Griezmann then we need Champions League football, we want to keep De Gea then we need Champions League football, we want to continue being the richest club in the world then we need Champions League football and in order to do all of that we need to win the Europa final as it's highly unlikely we're going to get a top 4 place in the league.

Charlie Foley

I know the OP starts with "bear with me", but that's the only sentence I read. I didn't read the rest. I'll treat it as a personal challenge to meditate throughout my life on what possible combination of ideas can lead to a positive answer for the statement in the thread title. ´

I've done the same with a maths exercise I was given in some math Olympics during high school, more than 20 years ago. To this day I never looked for the solution, though I shared the problem with a couple of friends and none resolved it. If you want to give it a try yourself it goes like this:

The drawing may not be perfect as I suck at paint but consider the side of the large square to measure 2 and the side of the small square to measure 1. The goal is to determine the radius (or diameter) of the circle, which touches the vertex of the small square and touches on (but does not intersect) the sides of the large square. I still haven't figured it out :mad:
I don't know if you meant it (I hope not because it makes it better) but this is one of the funniest posts on the caf I've read in a long time. I think it's just the sheer 'one sentence in NNNNOPE NOPE not reading this here's a maths problem fuuuuuck you' of it all.

Bloody brilliant, also you've given me something to torture the kid I tutor in math with tomorrow :lol:

DavosOfManc

As a newb i don't want to speak out of turn, but is this a joke? I vaguely understand your logic, but being in the CL and potentially signing Griezmann and a few other players will always beat winning nothing and scraping the Benfica barrel. I also don't see how winning the Europa League is going to make us exclusively go for galactico signings. It's a trophy and a free ticket to the CL, not the Iron Throne and a £10billion payout...

Home&Away

We need the kick up the backside and no manager is better than Jose for that. He can target not only his players but the big players; however when we are back amongst the top - I agree if we are truly going to be great - relying only on the tried and tested players will not get us far. They simply aren't always the best and most willing to adapt to team and tactics.

I am also a firm believer of United growing their own personal style and tactic - basically the same thing LVG said. This will most likely happen after we are back up against the big boys and need something different ourselves. If Jose is clever enough; he could strike a very delicious balance between counterattack and possesion football that no one has yet to see & at that point the right player for the right position matters more than cost/reputation.

Reactions: SteveJ

Oscie

If ever there was a reason the phrase 'Whatchu talkin' bout Willis' was invented it was to respond this thread.

RC89

For those saying something is strange. It's quite common on this board for someone to come out with a thread from complete left field in a desperate attempt to sound alt-insightful

DavosOfManc

For those saying something is strange. It's quite common on this board for someone to come out with a thread from complete left field in a desperate attempt to sound alt-insightful
Thanks for explaining. I find it incredibly unjust that this chap can start threads while i am unable to share the hilarious United themed MS Paint photo edits i have for you all yet.

Oscie

Like that phrase. Definitely going to use it

Moonred

Going bankrupt wouldn't be a bad idea. Your dream of signing lesser players will see the light of the day. Sounds like a plan?

rpg

United I knew and support always strive to win every competitions they are in. We have to fear no one and we get any player we want. No hanky panky losing become a blessing, top striker injured is a blessing etc.

PaulRich

Absolutely not. We have to see this Europa league run and the effect of winning it as the same in magnitude as our FA Cup run in 1990. We won that on a replay despite being pretty much second best in the first game and the rest, as they say, is (glorious) history, the cup win put belief in a club that was under increasing pressure to deliver. Putting the fact that its silverware for the cabinet aside, we shouldn't under estimate the value of this competition both in commercial terms and our ability to attract the right level of squad addition required to really go after the silverware we should be chasing. Put simply Stockholm is a massive game for Manchester United FC.

TheRedHearted

Tbh saf bought in top quality cheap ( ish ) players from Denmark & Norway. The rest he got from the premier. The exception was veron & he was a flop.
Anytime somebody quotes or references to things that happened years ago- I question their logic. The game is completely different! The league is completely different. Most importantly the business is as well. Can not be done now. Not to be a consistent threat

Reactions: Penna

Water Melon

This is the post of the year. The meaning, the timing, the style - everything about it is awesome. Mods, save it for the shortlist.

Fener1907

I sometimes wonder if it would have been for the best if Terry had scored back in 2008 to leave United with the two Champions Leagues. Fergie would have retired sooner, Moyes would have come sooner, and he'd have been closer to completing his 7 year project in 2014 instead of being fired. Fergie ate into his time.

Touseef

Why are people so against this. It's obv. true, a loss will be a win! OP is right.

But then I look at Ajax and what they're achieving with kids. Imagine if they win the Europa and start believing you can win with kids (when it's obvious yo can't). I like Ajax as a club and don't want them to be under this false perception and to save Ajax, United must win

zeekey

I sometimes wonder if it would have been for the best if Terry had scored back in 2008 to leave United with the two Champions Leagues. Fergie would have retired sooner, Moyes would have come sooner, and he'd have been closer to completing his 7 year project in 2014 instead of being fired. Fergie ate into his time.
This is a possible thread itself. "What would've happened if Terry had scored?".

zeekey

Why are people so against this. It's obv. true, a loss will be a win! OP is right.

But then I look at Ajax and what they're achieving with kids. Imagine if they win the Europa and start believing you can win with kids (when it's obvious yo can't). I like Ajax as a club and don't want them to be under this false perception and to save Ajax, United must win
This.

Now let's smash em.

Jonnymufc

All I can say is this, thanks for all the responses. Even the majority who just decided to say 'you're talking crap' or words to that effect.

I created the thread in contemplation of what could happen were we to lose the final because I am a bit terrified that we might.

Let's all hope that this thread is completely moot in 10 days time. Then many can get their wish and I can be bestowed with some sort of shit thread award and perhaps an insulting tagline. I'd happily take all that for a win.

Castia

It would be best if we got relegated, that way we could really rebuild from the ground up :drool:

Redlyn

I didn't/haven't yet read the Op. From the title it's just simply Fecking No! No possible scenario could exist where it's better for us to not win Europa.

edit - Read the Op now and yeah still No. Infact even more of a No than before. Whether or not we win Europa is unrelated to how we approach the transfer market. We are man utd and we will still be aiming for the top with or without cl. Infact making us stay in europa would just make it that much harder more expensive and make us more desperate to get the very best players.

Last edited:

Moonwalker

All I can say is this, thanks for all the responses. Even the majority who just decided to say 'you're talking crap' or words to that effect.

I created the thread in contemplation of what could happen were we to lose the final because I am a bit terrified that we might.

Let's all hope that this thread is completely moot in 10 days time. Then many can get their wish and I can be bestowed with some sort of shit thread award and perhaps an insulting tagline. I'd happily take all that for a win.
Here's a couple of conundrums for you (bear with me).

Can technique be improved?

If a manager were to use the wrong tactics, would it still be wrong, even if his team won a 1000-0?

Jonnymufc

Here's a couple of conundrums for you (bear with me).

Can technique be improved?

If a manager were to use the wrong tactics, would it still be wrong, even if his team won a 1000-0?
Interesting. Maybe you should knock up a couple of threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.