Could Manchester City "disappear" in few years?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I was just watching their squad and age of their players, and realised their squad has no future at all. I knew they have the oldest squad in the league, but I thought that was because they have few veterans in their squad like Lampard, Sagna, Caballero and Demichelis, but even if you ignore them(4 oldest players well in their thirties), their average age is still over 27 years,.

Their core players are in their best years, Aguero is 26, Silva is 29, Kompany is 28, Toure is 31, and Zabaleta is 29(their 5 most important players IMO). Apart from them, their squad is pretty average. Those mentioned players aren't that old, especially Aguero, but in just few years they will be, and they'll have to replace pretty much every one of them at once. All that would be great if they actually had any young players in the squad. Their youngest players who are supposed to replace those players are Mangala(23), Boyata(24), Fernando(27), Sinclair(25), Jovetic(25), and I think we can all agree that neither of them is going to become world class, especially not players like Fernando, Boyata or Sinclair. There is a hope for Mangala and Jovetic, but I really doubt in that.

Looking at their transfers of past few years, they aren't doing very well there either, first they have rarely signed any young players which means they aren't looking at future at all, and second - they have hardly signed any special players. Their biggest signings in last 3 years were players like Jovetic, Mangala or Fernandinho(I am not sure if any top club would be giving 40 million pounds for the likes of Mangala or 35 for Fernandinho), which suggest they aren't attractive destination for top players. We have signed players like di Maria, Falcao, etc., Chelsea have signed Fabregas, Costa; Arsenal have signed the likes of Oezil and Sanchez, and biggest names that City could buy with all their money were the likes of Mangala and Jovetic. And now they want to spend another 30 mil pounds on Bony who is 26.

So, judging by their transfer record in past few years, and FFP playing big part, what will become of them in the future when they will have to replace these players? Even without FFP it could be very tricky for them replacing them because as we can see with United how even signing world class players doesn't automatically mean improving your team, so will they be able to cope? They have already been warned and fined over FFP, and we know that without spending they will hardly improve their squad(they are hardly improving it recently by spending either) at all. What do caf predict for our noisy neighbors?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
They'll simmer down, like a bratty kid short on allowance for the summer, but will come roaring back bragging about their new shiny toys when the winter comes. In short, they have too much money now to disappear.

Boycott

You can't knock their preparation for building the football club towards an elite level. The poster said above they have too much money to disappear, I say they've invested too much money to disappear. There will be times when they are off the pace, but the status of the club is built to be sustainable, even if big money signings are coming to a reduction.

Their key phase which they had to see through was 2008-2011. They had to get in to the Champions League relatively quickly after the takeover as we've seen time and time again when these owners lose interest after a bad patch, or leave things to stagnate. There were big signings in the build up, but those players had to be assured that the club is going places or they're off i.e. Russian clubs, Monaco, Malaga.

Erebus

I think the future of city is fascinating. On the surface it looks like the owners are in for the long haul, but there are a few scenarios that could prejudice it. For example they got a lot of land for virtually nothing and have, without a doubt invested a great deal in return into the local economy. The football club was the key to unlocking that financial opportunity, but the chance has now been exploited. Once they've completed the redevelopment with the hotels and sporting infrastructure, will they actually need the football club? They will have this first class infrastructure, built relatively cheaply because of no land costs, and most of this development will be making a handsome profit. That means the only financial drain will be the football club. The question is, as a business, are they going to stick with the club or just jettison it and make millions from the hotel and sports infrastructure? Just a thought

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
People said that about Chelsea in 2005 I recall, 10 years later, they're on course to win the league again and have the best manager in the world!

Oo0AahCantona

I think there here to stay, the only player to worry about is how Toure adjusts over the next 2-3 years the rest will remain at a very high standard. they just need to make sure they replace with like for like quality, and not gambles on multiple players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Meh, they'll be fine for the next few years and sign good players in their peak to replace the ones who are on the decline. They here to stay I think, be it constantly challenging for the league or just lounging in the top four.
To the extent it does now?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
No, I expect they'll be around as long as they are Mansour's team; finding ways to fund them have already been allowed by FFP so I don't expect things will really change.

But if Mansour fecks-off, then maybe they'll return to their level in a few seasons, but unfortunately he and his fecking money aren't going anywhere.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Their youngest players who are supposed to replace those players are Mangala(23), Boyata(24), Fernando(27), Sinclair(25), Jovetic(25),
How can you consider these players replacements for the players you listed before?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I think people are taking FFP for granted. FIFA have showed that they are not joking even with bigger clubs when they break their rules - see Barcelona and their transfer embargo, so it's expected that UEFA will be harsh with their rules too. I am quite sure they have always been even less tollerant to English clubs and if City continues to break them they'll fine them on one or another way. They already did.

RedRover

I think the future of city is fascinating. On the surface it looks like the owners are in for the long haul, but there are a few scenarios that could prejudice it. For example they got a lot of land for virtually nothing and have, without a doubt invested a great deal in return into the local economy. The football club was the key to unlocking that financial opportunity, but the chance has now been exploited. Once they've completed the redevelopment with the hotels and sporting infrastructure, will they actually need the football club? They will have this first class infrastructure, built relatively cheaply because of no land costs, and most of this development will be making a handsome profit. That means the only financial drain will be the football club. The question is, as a business, are they going to stick with the club or just jettison it and make millions from the hotel and sports infrastructure? Just a thought
The money isn't in the land - it's in their ability to promote their country and its associated businesses by using the worldwide profile of the PL.

And the asset they have is being sensible improved and increasing in value anyway.

They're not going anywhere I suspect. They're on the verge (allegedly) of breaking even in running costs. It's a sound investment.

RedRover

I think people are taking FFP for granted. FIFA have showed that they are not joking even with bigger clubs when they break their rules - see Barcelona and their transfer embargo, so it's expected that UEFA will be harsh with their rules too. I am quite sure they have always been even less tollerant to English clubs and if City continues to break them they'll fine them on one or another way. They already did.
UEFA have made noise about throwing teams out of the CL and haven't done it because they don't want to damage the brand.

Clubs will pay lip service to FFP and will try to meet it but it won't stop the big clubs being the big clubs and spending if they need to.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There is more chance of them fading back to where they were before oil millions than Chelsea (Who have built a good brand and are seen as a huge club in England in terms of prestige now and have got a global following).

But they are probably here to stay atleast as a regular Champions League qualifier.

Erebus

The money isn't in the land - it's in their ability to promote their country and its associated businesses by using the worldwide profile of the PL.

And the asset they have is being sensible improved and increasing in value anyway.

They're not going anywhere I suspect. They're on the verge (allegedly) of breaking even in running costs. It's a sound investment.
No I know that - the point I'm making is that having saved a lot of money in development costs, they are now in a position to make those profits you refer to without the need of the football club. Most of the individual ventures will probably generate significant profits on their own account, thus no need to further invest in the club. Even if there is a need to ensure the football club remains in Europe/Premier league, that can be done at a fraction of the costs thrown at the club in the past, so maximising the profits from the other elements of their investment. If the plan is business driven, this would maximise the profits.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

They aren't close to breaking even without any form of dodgy deals and creative accounting.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
UEFA have made noise about throwing teams out of the CL and haven't done it because they don't want to damage the brand.

Clubs will pay lip service to FFP and will try to meet it but it won't stop the big clubs being the big clubs and spending if they need to.
It's still early stages of FFP, but even now they are definitely showing signs that they aren't joking with it.

Mourinho admited himself that they had to be careful and weren't allowed to spend as much as they wanted because of FFP restrictions, and City are probably in far worse situation than them.

Skills

Snitch
This.

The game they're playing is on a much bigger scale. They're oil tycoons, the profits they want are in the billions magnitude.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No.

Had to laugh at the conclusion that City cannot attract top players but Chelsea and United can. We signed the likes of Aguero, Silva and Toure before we had even won our first league title. Do you think after winning two titles in three seasons our ability to attract players has somehow diminished?

City have the money to replace players and the majority of our youth squads are performing admirably. It's worth bearing in mind it is only recently City have become a top team and thus being able to attract the top youth players. In the near future we should reap the rewards of that. Marcos Lopes, Denayer, Pozo, Iheanacho, Rekik, Fofana, Glendon etc. We have plenty of promising youth players and we will only need a few to be a success and the rest of the team can continue to be made up of players signed elsewhere.

FFP is not too much of a burden and this year should be our worst for punishment and we've still been able to splash the cash on Bony, Mangala, Fernando, Caballero and Zuculini.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Disappear out of site from the rest of the league along with Chelsea while everyone else fights for the other spots that's about it.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Had to laugh at the conclusion that City cannot attract top players but Chelsea and United can. We signed the likes of Aguero, Silva and Toure before we had even won our first league title. Do you think after winning two titles in three seasons our ability to attract players has somehow diminished?
I suggested it might be the case because in the last three years you haven't signed one, and you missed many targets because they picked other clubs over City.

As for the youth, I believe that you have good young players in youth teams but considering your record with implementing them in your first team I wouldn't bet many of them would get even chance in your first team. You had no strijers in last month or so and you played Milner there after Pozo showed nothing in one or two games he played.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Whilst I think we can all dream of a day when UEFA actually punishes teams for not complying with FFP, they're too worried about having a CL without the top players and the top teams in it to actually follow through with anything more than a token fine and a slap on the wrist. As it stands, City's creative accounting and dodgy sponsorship deals will leave them plenty of room to maneuver. If they do what I suspect they plan to do with the City Group clubs they'll certainly have a magical way around it.

Their current model doesn't allow for young players to get enough game time to develop, but they've invested heavily in their youth system so we might see that change. As it's been over the last few seasons though, their policy has remained pretty steady, and the core of their squad hasn't needed replacing. Signings like Fernando, Fernandinho, Jovetic, etc. were never meant for the starting XI week in, week out, and as they've had no cause to replace the likes of Kompany, Zabaleta, Toure, Silva and Aguero, they've not bothered spending money on players that you'd expect to be taking their positions.

Kompany not looking quite what he was a couple of seasons ago, and Toure not being quite as much of a machine just means City will spunk £80 million on two ready made replacements in the summer. They certainly won't disappear.

Back on the youth note, I can't actually see them bedding anyone in. Chelsea also spent an absolute shit-ton on their youth system, and all they've done is created a fairly lucrative production line. They buy a load of players for >£10 million, then ship them off a few years later for >£10 million after loaning about 50 of them out each year to various clubs around Europe. I think City will end up following a similar pattern, and I'll be surprised if any academy prospects are given the time to bed in to the team. It's all well and good having an academy full of talented youngsters, but if they're never given the opportunity to step up then you're never going to see them in a starting XI regularly.

Trizy

It is possible of course but for that to happen UEFA have to clamp down on their clear as day fake sponsorships for the sole purpose of avoiding a set of rules they put in place.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I suggested it might be the case because in the last three years you haven't signed one, and you missed many targets because they picked other clubs over City.

As for the youth, I believe that you have good young players in youth teams but considering your record with implementing them in your first team I wouldn't bet many of them would get even chance in your first team. You had no strijers in last month or so and you played Milner there after Pozo showed nothing in one or two games he played.
Pozo isn't a striker so Milner was a better option because he is an intelligent, hard-working player who made space for the likes of Silva which was the best option in the circumstances. It's not like we have let any youth players go who have gone on to make City look like fools, so it's just a case of our previous crop of youth players not been up to the job. Now, that should not be the case, and they will be given a chance if they are good enough.

Do you have any evidence of these 'many targets' we missed out on because they chose other clubs over us? Or is it just mere speculation?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
City have the money to replace players and the majority of our youth squads are performing admirably. It's worth bearing in mind it is only recently City have become a top team and thus being able to attract the top youth players. In the near future we should reap the rewards of that. Marcos Lopes, Denayer, Pozo, Iheanacho, Rekik, Fofana, Glendon etc. We have plenty of promising youth players and we will only need a few to be a success and the rest of the team can continue to be made up of players signed elsewhere.
I remember hearing the same about the likes of Huws, Guidetti etc...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I remember hearing the same about the likes of Huws, Guidetti etc...
So what? Guidetti to be fair was hampered by a freak injury and is only really fully recovering from it this season. Huws we sold for £3m (I think) to Wigan so still profited on him and he didn't look like he was ever going to be good enough for a top 4 team. Also to establish ourselves as a top team where we could attract the best youth players it meant initially negating youth players as playing proven players made us much more likely to win titles immediately. Now we have done that we can start providing the likes of Pozo and Lopes with minutes on the pitch rather than wasting time with the likes of Huws and Cunningham

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
this thread title is cruelly misleading
Yeah, I was expecting an article in which Anderson expressed his intentions to literally eat Manchester City.

Hugely disappointing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
City will disappear, leaving Lampard on the pitch wearing a stetson and spurs.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think they'll probably be alright. The only one which seems immediately problematic among the "top 5" as you put it, and which I'd largely agree with quality wise, would be Yaya Toure since he's often reliant on his energy and his work effort. He's very good ability wise too, so could re-invent his game a bit, but he'd be the immediate concern for them as for someone who might not have too long left.

The rest don't seem too worrying though for them. Silva's a hugely intelligent player, and I think he'll have a few years in him yet, even if he's not as dangerous as he is now. Could always try to change up his game a bit and play in a deeper role, which seems a tad unlikely, but is possible since he's incredibly gifted technically.

Kompany and Zabaleta should be able to play into their early-mid 30's without too much bother. Kompany certainly doesn't rely on pace, and Zabaleta's a full-back who is solid defensively, which means he'll still be useful for them.

Aguero's fine at 26, got plenty left in him.

Even if they do struggle, they'll just go out and sign more players. Even with FFP, they'll still be able to spend a fair bit, and they may be more careful in their selections if they do genuinely need top class players in certain players.

Raw

They'll go through cycles like any other top team. They're at a high, then after a few years they'll mull around the top 4 then get back on top again. It's like Chelsea quite recently, except they actually managed to win a CL, Europa League and FA Cups in between. I don't see City doing something like that in the near future though (hopefully).

They've established themselves as a top club and won't be going away any time soon. Their owners won't get 'bored', which I see a lot of United fans saying in regards to them, and they will always be there to invest when necessary.

Last edited:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I question whether or not City will be able to attract the legitimately top drawer, world class players. These players will also be targets for many of the biggest clubs in the world as well and are much more prestigious and glamorous than City.

Would a Pogba/Hazard/Neymar caliber player who would have their pick of club really choose City over a United/Madrid/Chelsea/Barca? Can't see it, really.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I can't see them going anywhere. The players mentioned will all slowly be replaced, not in one big batch. City have enough money, even if FFP hampers them somewhat they will be able to make one big signing every year that will keep them at the pointy end of the premier league.

Raptori

Special needs
I question whether or not City will be able to attract the legitimately top drawer, world class players. These players will also be targets for many of the biggest clubs in the world as well and are much more prestigious and glamorous than City.

Would a Pogba/Hazard/Neymar caliber player who would have their pick of club really choose City over a United/Madrid/Chelsea/Barca? Can't see it, really.
While they haven't in the last few years, they did buy Tevez, Silva, Toure and Aguero over the course of several summer transfer windows. All of them were in the Pogba/Hazard/Neymar bracket at the time, and were wanted by many clubs. They've also turned out to be excellent investments, ignoring Tevez's crazy season. City won't always get every single player that they want, but the same can be said for every club.