Could Norway be banned from WC? FIFA threatens

stevoc

norway historically had a monopoly on both oil export and human rights abuse. their nose has been put right out of joint by the new kids on the block with their new money. they do not appreciate how the qataris are working men to death to build opulent stadia, they are old school. much better to rape and pillage people to oblivion. in their eyes, all of the deaths, in all of the concrete bowls, in all of the world combined aren’t worth one nun slaughtered at lindisfarne. norway are the establishment, the republic, the royalists. they are dinosaurs, relics. they are scared.
Are you referring to the Viking invasions 1000 years ago?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It doesn't answer the question, why didn't they start that process years ago?
I know a few have responded to this already but I think fear of adversity is one of the reasons not to stand up, to hold back their country and of possible future sanctions, I assume they now (having seen no change) wish to take this stance

GueRed

I'm not upset, I'm wondering how things developed and why it developed that way.
A centralised body of corrupt old men (FIFA) who decide what goes down in the most lucrative sport in the world and this is what we get..

Andersonson

Don’t they already skip the WC since 98?
Yes! We dont like corruption, so we have forcefully played badly.

On a serious note, most clubs have now in Norway voted for a boycott.
Good news, I say. I hope other nations follow. Time for fans, clubs and player to finally take a stand on discrimination and racism

dal

If Ole joins in then I suppose its his first real vest.

Morpheus 7

Fifa and football is general is rotten, money has always be in it but the proper corruption is obvious now.

snk123

It also says that only 20 per cent of expatriates from the countries in question are employed in construction, and that work-related deaths in this sector accounted for fewer than 10 percent of fatalities within this group.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I take stats on deaths in Qatar with a huge pinch of salt since the newspapers were claiming thousands of world cup deaths before construction had even started.

Obviously Qatar's apartheid system isn't ideal...

GueRed

It also says that only 20 per cent of expatriates from the countries in question are employed in construction, and that work-related deaths in this sector accounted for fewer than 10 percent of fatalities within this group.

Mickson

I'm missing something why would Norway pull out in 2021? They were aware of the work conditions in Qatar before entering the qualifying stage?
It's easy to demonstrate and pull out when you realize you won't have a chance at qualifying - again.

snk123

I have seen the conditions they worked in. That is absolutely horrendous, I don’t know how you can defend it. Slavery seems like a good thing for you…
Where have you seen the conditions exactly?

GueRed

Breads and circuses for the wealthy, built by the blood of the poor.

Qatar is the ultimate embodiment of this.

snk123

I'm missing something why would Norway pull out in 2021? They were aware of the work conditions in Qatar before entering the qualifying stage?
Politics. They would have no problem if the world cup was being held in Dubai or Saudi Arabia (countries far worse as far as human rights are concerned). Also, we've been having Olympics in China for years

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
As much as I enjoy watching Denmark play in the big tournaments, I’d love it if we boycotted this just like Norway will hopefully do.

Oranges038

Ooh, look at me I'm standing up for something.... It's bit late now lads, why did they not start this protest when the corruption in the decision was blatant.

This has been known for years, no point in starting all the posturing now.

BarstoolProphet

norway historically had a monopoly on both oil export and human rights abuse. their nose has been put right out of joint by the new kids on the block with their new money. they do not appreciate how the qataris are working men to death to build opulent stadia, they are old school. much better to rape and pillage people to oblivion. in their eyes, all of the deaths, in all of the concrete bowls, in all of the world combined aren’t worth one nun slaughtered at lindisfarne. norway are the establishment, the republic, the royalists. they are dinosaurs, relics. they are scared.
Norway - as presented by the Swedish Tourist Association

UncleBob

Politics. They would have no problem if the world cup was being held in Dubai or Saudi Arabia (countries far worse as far as human rights are concerned). Also, we've been having Olympics in China for years
We'd easily complain about Dubai and Saudi.

China, we'll do what everyone else is doing and shut up about it

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Isn't that what they'd want? If they protest against the World Cup, but then go turn up and play it next year, then their protest is half-arsed and hollow.

If they were serious in their stance, they'd pull themselves out of qualifying all together.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This. I'm with Norway in essence, but no country is holier than anyone else. The US, the UK, China, Saudis, etc, many etc. There are obviously spectrums but not with enough depth unfortunately. :(

antk

Would love for my country (France) to take the same stance, especially as current WC holders.

Obviously won't happen, as very few football governing bodies see an issue with football and the WC being used as a propaganda tool for dictatorships, totalitarian regimes or human rights abuse, as it's been since its very infancy (ie World Cup 1934 and its blatant promotion of Mussolini's fascist Italy). Anti-LGBTQ banners have been reported in the Puskas Arena during the match against Portugal, and I've not seen the UEFA say anything about that.

FIFA, UEFA, the IOC are all political instruments, and that makes their no-politics stance in regards to athletes' individual opinions and actions absolutely disgusting.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is this the farthest someone has gone back in history to try and win an argument on the Caf? Vikings were cruel in the 8th century so that justifies slave labour in the 21st century. Absolute barn buster of a post.:houllier:

BarstoolProphet

I'm not upset, I'm wondering how things developed and why it developed that way.
It started properly (been semi-discussed in media for a few years) when one of clubs in the top division started an initiative earlier this year to stand up against the Qatar WC. More clubs joined in and it eventually ended up as a subject to vote over at the annual members meeting. If the majority vote yes, then it will result in an official boycott from the Norwegian FA. The general feeling is that most are behind a boycott but the top brass are reluctant - coming out with clichés like "dialogue is better than boycott" - which obviously helps feck all when it comes to corruption, so there's still a strong possibility that it will voted against. But atleast the message has been spread loud and clear.

Many will point to Norway even struggle to qualify but having players like Haaland and Odegaard fronting the campaign will create attention regardless if the team is good enough or not.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Norway - as presented by the Swedish Tourist Association
sweden think they’re so smart, driving around all day with half a ton of meatballs in the back of their square estate cars only to get back to their log cabins and build a flat packed bed side cabinet to store even more meatballs in.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Is this the farthest someone has gone back in history to try and win an argument on the Caf? Vikings were cruel in the 8th century so that justifies slave labour in the 21st century. Absolute barn buster of a post.:houllier:
even the name norway derives from “no, (ou)r way” in reference to how they believe atrocities should be carried out.

Lemansky

We'd easily complain about Dubai and Saudi.

China, we'll do what everyone else is doing and shut up about it
We did have a run in with China when Liu Xioboa was awarded the peace prize in 2010. Lasted for years and had huge financial and political cost.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I think the best course of activism for a smaller nation would be to qualify then reveal those same shirts under their normal ones then walk off the pitch after 30 minutes to not return. That would gain a lot more attention

UncleBob

We did have a run in with China when Liu Xioboa was awarded the peace prize in 2010. Lasted for years and had huge financial and political cost.
fecking Jagland and the bunch of absolute morons. Not as much of a joke as the award for Obama though.

It was a pain for Norwegian companies, both in terms of getting visas in place, shipping equipment. Fortunately the shipyards had feck all of a choice in terms of major Norwegian suppliers.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So FIFA's point is that if they don't want to participate in the tournament they shouldn't participate in the qualifier? That actually sounds reasonable. Not sure about fines though.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So best do nothing if you can't do everything?

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
I think its admirable. A change from speaking about politics only as long as it's politically useful.

There can't be any dialogue about the World Cup that will make it alright - those people died for a game. Dialogue isn't bringing them back. What dialogue could there be? Telling them not to do it again so we can feel okay about watching?

Last edited:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
even the name norway derives from “no, (ou)r way” in reference to how they believe atrocities should be carried out.
I will give you this- When I opened this thread I did not expect to see someone equate the name of a country with how they believe atrocities should be carried out. :lol: