Could you see Roy Keane in any kind of roll at the present Man Utd?

simplyared

Controversial yes, and it would be a gamble, but bearing in mind what we are lacking, in terms of leadership and mentality, isn’t there a job for him at our club.

A manager roll maybe not, assistant maybe?

A manager who could work with him?

Can7onA

Would be a lot better than Carrick standing there looking confused.

Murray3007

we could do with a player like that, but no you cant put him in with these players, they would all go crying to there agents and would just be even more of a mess then we currently are unfortunately

Skills

Snitch
No.

I don't think any of our former players are getting a front end job at the club after Ole is done (Manager, Sporting director etc).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I wouldn’t particularly want him in any role at the club but one thing for certain, if he had been in a role currently, there is no way the players would have dared put in such an abject and abysmal performance as they did last night.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One of my favourite players to pull on the shirt.

Coaching / Managing, no thanks

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
No.

I don't think any of our former players are getting a front end job at the club after Ole is done (Manager, Sporting director etc).
I agree.

Nicky Butt is probably the most qualified and experienced of all (outside of old hats like Bruce, Hughes) and I don't see him getting close to one of the top jobs either.

redshaw

Roy is instinctively a top player with the mindset to go with it. He can't impart this on to players or express tactics or positions. He can't even do it in the studio.

The only way Roy could help is by playing in the middle of the pitch and sadly those days are long gone.

eire-red

I think he's too opinionated and would polarise the camp if he was in that coaching team. Just look at his stints at Sunderland, Ipswich, Villa, Ireland. It never ends on a good note.

We need to stop getting back to the 'United Way' and find a way to be successful in our own right in modern day football.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No thanks times a million
We need to find a name for this rule because it’s absolutely 100% true:

In a daft thread the first reply is always correct.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea seems to be that he would somehow instil "leadership" or "passion" into the players.

In reality what he would bring is scant football/tactical knowledge and tendency to fall out with people for stupid reasons. In fact he often seems to have active contempt for modern footballers, which is a big problem in any role where you are dealing with modern footballers.

100%, no.

Green_Red

His assistant manager career (with ROI and Villa etc) is great isn't it.

There're many clear good reasons why he's fairly good as pundit, but not those.. let alone as manager...
What manager / assistant manager with Ireland, Villa ot Ipswich have had a noteworthy experience in the last 10-15 years? I think getting us to the Euros was probably the best they could have achieved with Ireland.

Zlatattack

Maybe as a coach or an Assistant, but not as a manager. Even then i think he's a bit miserable for the modern yoot.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Nah. He’s too sour. None of his criticism would be constructive and he’d just make players unhappy. He’s probably already having some sort of effect sat from the pundits chair.

The current set of players really should be ashamed, though. They need someone to tell them how important their place at United is - or perhaps they don’t care on the money they’re on?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Probably not because SAF wouldn't want him there

but it actually wouldn't be the worst idea for Ole to invite Keano to training for a bit of motivation

Chipper

Adulterer.
Possibly as a coach. I mean we must have had loads of coaches over the years whose names I don't even know, let alone their skillset and personalities so compared to them it's not a definite no. I think there's scope for someone like him to be involved within a big mixture of different characters but at the same time I'm not saying we should bring him in.

Not up for giving him a big job like the manager's or assistant manager's job, that would be a no.

Last edited:

Oldyella

I wouldn’t particularly want him in any role at the club but one thing for certain, if he had been in a role currently, there is no way the players would have dared put in such an abject and abysmal performance as they did last night.
Why not? Hes been involved with plenty of clubs that have given performances like last night. It's why hes a pundit now and not a manager/assistant manager/coach anymore.

My God no, listen to the bloke, according to him a manager is fecking pointless, it’s all about players and their attitudes.
I mean, a guy who has managed himself and played under Fergie actually thinks a manager is almost meaningless.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Why not? Hes been involved with plenty of clubs that have given performances like last night. It's why hes a pundit now and not a manager/assistant manager/coach anymore.
I sort of meant if he was still a player in the pitch with them. Arguably my favourite Utd player of all time but I’d want him nowhere near our team as a coach or manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No.

What good wil it do us to have somebody just stand there scowling at the players telling them how shite they are ?

Bojan11

Probably not because SAF wouldn't want him there

but it actually wouldn't be the worst idea for Ole to invite Keano to training for a bit of motivation
What’s the point of a manger if they need someone else to motivate the players?

Yeah sign him up and give him the role of dressing room leader.

Castia

No chance.

Talks a good game and he's a brilliant pundit but I wouldn't have him anywhere near the dressing room.

The only former player i want to see near our club is Edwin Van Der Sar.

tomaldinho1

Nope. Please can we just sever this cord to the class of 92/team of that era and the mythical 'United way'. Time we all moved on (I really hope we less of the United pundits as well). There was never a set 'United way', there was just a brilliant manager who carried the club through innovation and sheer will.

We need a manager with fresh and innovative ideas, backroom staff who have experience & no more chat about a 'rebuild' it's a 'new build' because we need to completely branch out from where we are now. The league this year is genuinely as open as ever, this is the time to act.