Could youth be the key to a successful summer (and a wage restructure)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've been reading into the youth forum and we've been having some real success with the youth we've called up in recent years, and it got me thinking.
If we put faith in some of the promising youngsters currently playing in the u23s, could it give us the freedom to move on players, bumping up our transfer kitty and slashing our wage budget.

Most people would agree what we need right now is a new CB, CDM, CM, RW and Striker, so lets implement them into a side.
De Gea
Bissaka - New CB - Maguire - Shaw
Fred - New CDM
New Rw - Fernandes - Rashford
Martial

Romero
Laird - Lindelof - Bailly - Williams
McTominay - New Cm
Greenwood - New Striker - James

Henderson#
Tuanzebe - Mengi
Mejbri - Gomes*
Shoretire - Ramazani
#I'd assume he goes on loan and not our 3rd keeper
*Assuming he signs a new contract, which seems likely on todays news?
It means we could move on Dalot, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Pogba, Matic, Pereira, Mensah, Mata, Sanchez, Lingard
We could even look into the possibility of moving on De Gea and promoting Henderson, but personally I'd want Henderson on loan for one more season.

Now I don't expect all these to leave. Who'd even take Jones, but anyway, the point is, we've got some promising youth (I've probably missed a few names), and although I'm not saying these players are ready for the first team, we've got a second string squad with Laird, Williams and Greenwood as youth, so we're not putting too much pressure on the young lads we have, but if needed, we can look to them over giving minutes to the likes of Jones.

What it would also do is bring down our massive wage structure

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Good post. I agree it would be the right move, provided we get enough good transfers over the line. I'm a bit worried about the summer honestly, due to fewer changes than expected last summer. Like If we don't sell Lingard, Jones, Mata and a few other I would feel very weird about this whole thang.

pav1790

Dalot and Mata should be kept. TFM too, but may be go on a loan. Agree with the rest. Pogba is too much of a troublemaker to be kept in a team that is transitioning. If we get more consistent with our wages in next summer by offloading players, I would be very happy.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've been reading into the youth forum and we've been having some real success with the youth we've called up in recent years, and it got me thinking.
If we put faith in some of the promising youngsters currently playing in the u23s, could it give us the freedom to move on players, bumping up our transfer kitty and slashing our wage budget.

Most people would agree what we need right now is a new CB, CDM, CM, RW and Striker, so lets implement them into a side.
De Gea
Fred - New CDM
Martial

Romero
McTominay - New Cm

Henderson#
Tuanzebe - Mengi
Mejbri - Gomes*
Shoretire - Ramazani
It means we could move on Dalot, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Pogba, Matic, Pereira, Mensah, Mata, Sanchez, Lingard
We could even look into the possibility of moving on De Gea and promoting Henderson, but personally I'd want Henderson on loan for one more season.

Now I don't expect all these to leave. Who'd even take Jones, but anyway, the point is, we've got some promising youth (I've probably missed a few names), and although I'm not saying these players are ready for the first team, we've got a second string squad with Laird, Williams and Greenwood as youth, so we're not putting too much pressure on the young lads we have, but if needed, we can look to them over giving minutes to the likes of Jones.

what's the Gomes news?

Adamsk7

TBH I’d be keen to keep both Matic and Mata if they don’t mind being bench players - both have proved they still have something to give recently, with Matic getting us through an injury crisis in midfield and Mata coming alive again with Bruno.
Other than that I agree - we have so much great talent coming through, with a few great additions to the first 11, they could fill in the gaps. Mejbri will be playing in the first team by 19 anyway.

James Ward

If you are going for proven players then you are going to pay the massive salaries unless you take a risk on players that are half proven like Salah and Mane were.

What has happened at Man United is we have a clown as DOF in Woodward who just doesn't understand the game and wouldn't be surprised if he never watched a match outside the premier league.

IF we manage to flog the below it would be a great start this summer and bring in Grealish and a right winger. Who the heck will take them though in all honesty bar Smalling.
Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Mata, Sanchez, Lingard

Like that's not a bad squad below to be starting off with next season with only two signings and most of the deadwood gone.
Defense: Shaw, Williams, Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Bailey, VL.
Midfield: Grealish, Pogba, Bruno, Fred, Scott, Matic.
Attack: New RW.Grealish, Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood,

We can't fix everything in one transfer window

crossy1686

career ending
Dalot is only about 21 and was the best player in his position in his age group when we signed him. We shouldn’t be moving him on anytime soon.

We do however, have a lot of over paid and under performing players in the squad. Sánchez, Pogba, Smalling, Rojo and Lingard should be sold in the summer. Losing anymore than that would leave us with a smaller squad than we currently do so it’s not worth the risk, presuming we make two quality signings that is.

L1nk

Our problem is trying to shift players we are paying massively over inflated wages to, no club is going to wanna take them at the money they are on, because we were stupid enough to give players like Jones new contracts with salaries they don't deserve and giving Sanchez ridiculous contracts.

The United

If you are going for proven players then you are going to pay the massive salaries unless you take a risk on players that are half proven like Salah and Mane were.

What has happened at Man United is we have a clown as DOF in Woodward who just doesn't understand the game and wouldn't be surprised if he never watched a match outside the premier league.

IF we manage to flog the below it would be a great start this summer and bring in Grealish and a right winger. Who the heck will take them though in all honesty bar Smalling.
Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Mata, Sanchez, Lingard

Like that's not a bad squad below to be starting off with next season with only two signings and most of the deadwood gone.
Defense: Shaw, Williams, Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Bailey, VL.
Midfield: Grealish, Pogba, Bruno, Fred, Scott, Matic.
Attack: New RW.Grealish, Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood,

We can't fix everything in one transfer window
We have been taking risk on half proven players during the last 7 years or so. It is not all on Woodward. Mangers couldn't get it right.

But, I would put our ridiculous wage issue on Woodward for sure which seems to restrict our transfer activities nowadays.

Singing a right winger and a DM/CM is a must for this summer. If we have more money to spare, striker and a back up full back who can play on both sides would be nice.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We have been taking risk on half proven players during the last 7 years or so. It is not all on Woodward. Mangers couldn't get it right.

But, I would put our ridiculous wage issue on Woodward for sure which seems to restrict our transfer activities nowadays.

Singing a right winger and a DM/CM is a must for this summer. If we have more money to spare, striker and a back up full back who can play on both sides would be nice.
This.

Agree with an RW along with creative attacking player and a striker -- plus extend Matic's contract another year.

We can wait for another window to add depth to the defence -- only after we cull a few like Jones, Rojo.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Youth and united product doesnt mean cheap.

When they start producing they'll be paid handsomely. Lingard, rashford, mct arent cheap. Another 1 or 2 contract extension for rashford (asuming he keep on his trajectory) he'd earn maybe 200 - 300k per week.

Just saying it doesnt mean it's cheap

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

When they start producing they'll be paid handsomely. Lingard, rashford, mct arent cheap. Another 1 or 2 contract extension for rashford (asuming he keep on his trajectory) he'd earn maybe 200 - 300k per week.

thats why we can get the very best youth, we pay super wages and we will play them if they show enough..

MuranoLover

It can be and we must use it.

We have to make a step in this direction, we threw enough cash in the garbage.

MuranoLover

You obviously forget we didnt pay anything for them.

Rashford now would easily cost 75m and above, McT 50.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Just bringing talent level/expectation back to wage value will be a start. Young or old.

Eric's Seagull

Definitely feck Sanchez , De Gea and Pogba off and wages would drop dramatically. Hard to see all three happening though. We then need to try to stop paying players ridiculous wages like Sanchez again. I'm all for a player decent wages as long as he has proved he is worthy of them.

AneRu

Looking at those three only Lingard is overpaid but we have to remember that we didn't pay any transfer fee for them and the development costs associated with running the academy are negligible. The development costs are also offset by the sales and loans of our youth.

A player like Rashford costs a bomb in the current market, especially after the season he was having. McTominay, after this season, would cost anything in the £40m to £50m range.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As long as the core positions will be filled by 'ready' players. If in the next transfer window We don't sign a RW then I'll have completely lost my faith in humanity. Maybe by 2034 We will still start with Juan Mata on RW.

TheReligion

Abusive

De Gea
Fred - New CDM
Martial

Romero
McTominay - New Cm

Henderson#
Tuanzebe - Mengi
Mejbri - Gomes*
Shoretire - Ramazani

Good post but unsure why you want to move on Dalot. He's only 20 and has plenty of potential.

AneRu

I think we need to get rid of the high earners like Pogba, De Gea and Sanchez to sign players on lower contracts and in DDG's case elevate Henderson. I love and appreciate David but he earns a ton and we now have a capable replacement who we don't need to pay a fee for.

I think we should get rid of Jones, Rojo and Smalling/Bailly. Ideally we get Smalling back and sell the injury prone trio leaving us with Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe and look to sign another promising CB.

In midfield I'd get Grealish as Pogba's replacement, I also wanted a new DM but having been impressed by Fred and McT I think it's fair to see if they can further cement their places as Bona fide first team players. So I would keep Matic and give Garner more chances.

Funds permitting I think we need a RW and another striker, whether he is a starter or not depends on how Ole views Martial. If it was up to me I'd spend big on a RW and bring in a back up striker then assess Martial over the course of next season.

On fullbacks I think AWB is nailed on as a starter and Williams has done well to provide competition for Shaw so I would leave the situation as it is until January.

So in conclusion I think Pogba. Sanchez, De Gea, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Lingard and Pereira should go. Most of them can be replaced by players from the academy who can play bit part roles and complemented by three quality signings.

M Bison

Supports
York City
No mention of Garner in here. He looks a real talent and could be a big part of the squad looking forwards.

Whole-heartedly agree with the emphasis on youth though, and I think we’ve got the makings of something special with some of our youth.

-Supreme-

This strategy has already been introduced over the past 12 months with great success and I don't expect this to change at all

Herrera-->McT
Young--> WIlliams
Sanchez--> Rashford
Fellaini --> Periera
Lingard--> Greenwood

davidmichael

I think we’re only Sancho, Grealish and a quality defensive midfielder away from being a very good team and one that could realistically challenge for the title in a couple of seasons.

We’re moving all the deadwood on and bringing through young, hungry players and players that actually WANT to be at the club. The mentality of the squad is changing and I think once Pogba moves on in the summer that change in mentality will pretty much be complete.

A starting 11 of De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof/Tuanzebe, Maguire, Shaw, Fernandes, new defensive midfielder, Grealish, Sancho, Martial and Rashford is very well balanced and has quality throughout.

Having Romero, Dalot, Laird, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe/Lindelof, Williams, Matic, McTominay, Fred, Garner, Mata, Lingard, Gomes, James and Greenwood all in reserve as well as other promising youngsters coming through shows that potentially it’s exciting if we recruit right this summer and get a Champions League spot.

Red_toad

Wage restructing? Shame we don't do debt restructuring, our wage bill is very low for the turnover of the club and will be 25% down on last season as no Champions League. I don't see the youth squad supplying us with the type of players who'll have us challening for the title next season or any season. Squad needs experienced players, even when Becks, Giggs and co came through we had a squad packed with proven winners, something we have very little of now.

Lentwood

Being able to produce your own players will be key moving forwards because hardly any clubs from Europe’s big leagues now need to sell players to balance the books as they did in the past

It won’t be possible to sign more than a couple of ready-made players from these leagues in a summer window so having players who can come through and make up the 23 man squad is essential

City are a good example. They might have rich owners but FFP forces them to balance the books. Since they can’t produce players from their Academy they are in the ridiculous position of having to sign five full backs in three seasons

Tarrou

This strategy has already been introduced over the past 12 months with great success and I don't expect this to change at all

Herrera-->McT
Young--> WIlliams
Sanchez--> Rashford
Fellaini --> Periera
Lingard--> Greenwood
Yeah I agree with this. If it wasn’t for Williams a lot of posters would want us to sign a backup left back this summer. We can cross that off the list and allocate the funds elsewhere.

McT has saved us a £50m transfer, basically.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You obviously forget we didnt pay anything for them.

Rashford now would easily cost 75m and above, McT 50.
We indirectly pay with giving them time. It's very hard to quantify in pound, but those times we give rashford to make mistaked and grow is an opportunity cost.

I'm not against it, it's just that there's a con to every pro.

If we sell rashford now we get free 50m at least, but can we buy back what we lost during the last 4 years? Missing cl, missing prize money etc.