Courtois on Martial: "He's not a Major Player"

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The new forward is supposed to fill the gap on the right wing. And there are no reason for Martial not have the same chance he had last season when he was subpar, at this level no one is or should be guaranteed to start that includes Cavani.
Sancho playing on the right will mean Greenwood will move to the middle though, won't it?

There's only so many starting spots, I'm curious as to how many Man United fans would have Martial in their starting lineups.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sancho playing on the right will mean Greenwood will move to the middle though, won't it?

There's only so many starting spots, I'm curious as to how many Man United fans would have Martial in their starting lineups.
And nothing says that Greenwood will win the role. You didn't ask whether Martial was an unmovable starter but if he would get a decent chance eveyone is going to get a decent chance and the better performer will play. Or maybe I totally misunderstood your point?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And nothing says that Greenwood will win the role. You didn't ask whether Martial was an unmovable starter but if he would get a decent chance eveyone is going to get a decent chance and the better performer will play. Or maybe I totally misunderstood your point?
Of course there's no such thing as "and unmovable starter". I'm not making a point, I'm asking a question as I know less about who is likely to start for you.

I guess I have two questions, do you think Martial starts the first game of the season if everyone was fit? Do you want him to?

OL29

This is a strange thread. Strange of Curtois to randomly mention Martial like that. Strange of our fans to get so defensive when Martial is clearly nowhere near a major player.
About 90% of this thread is people agreeing with Courtoius, what’s strange is the fact that some of our so called fans seemingly want one of our own players to get even more abuse.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course there's no such thing as "and unmovable starter". I'm not making a point, I'm asking a question as I know less about who is likely to start for you.

I guess I have two questions, do you think Martial starts the first game of the season if everyone was fit? Do you want him to?
If his finishing comes back then I would expect him to start because he has a good technical relationship with Rashford and I expect the same with Sancho. I don't really care about who starts, as long as they perform well and suit the team.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I read this earlier and didnt see the video. They way it was written made it sound like they were rolling around the floor laughing.

diarm

Everybody seems to be having a go at Courtois for "randomly calling out Martial" but that's not what happened is it?

They were having a conversation about big players who aren't at the Euros. Someone mentioned Martial and Courtois merely dismissed him as not a big player.

It's a bit like seeing someone mention Craig Bellamy in one of those monthly threads about who the greatest strikers in Prem history are. You'd read it, have a chuckle and then dismiss it before moving on to the serious names.

I don't really understand how it's generated enough fuss for 4 pages.

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe it's just a selection of United fans then? But he seems to have a serious cult following on social media
Martial is not widely rated as far as I can see whether we are talking about social media or real life.

Skorenzy

I read this earlier and didnt see the video. They way it was written made it sound like they were rolling around the floor laughing.
Here you go, relevant part at 2:14. Not sure how much it will help you if you don't speak Dutch (or French, subtitles), but you can at least gauge the atmosphere is pretty casual.

For whatever it's worth, in my opinion: much ado about nothing.
A throwaway comment during a silly little quiz.

OL29

Martial is not widely rated as far as I can see whether we are talking about social media or real life.
He’s not, but some people seem to lose all rationality when they see someone say something even slightly positive about him.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s not, but some people seem to lose all rationality when they see someone say something even slightly positive about him.
I think that debate peaked when people wanted Mourinho sacked instead of Martial sold because Martial would then go on to become our Mo Salah or Kevin De Bryne. There's still a small section of people who believe Solskajer is using him wrong and a 'better' manager would get more out of him. It's a bit weird.

JPRouve

Scout
I think that debate peaked when people wanted Mourinho sacked instead of Martial sold because Martial would then go on to become our Mo Salah or Kevin De Bryne. There's still a small section of people who believe Solskajer is using him wrong and a 'better' manager would get more out of him. It's a bit weird.
People wanted Mourinho sacked before Martial because Mourinho was an actual problem for the club while Martial is just a player that is not as good as we hoped.

OL29

On this forum he seems to be public enemy number one these days, the number of people defending him is a tiny minority.

DoomSlayer

The new forward is supposed to fill the gap on the right wing. And there are no reason for Martial not have the same chance he had last season when he was subpar, at this level no one is or should be guaranteed to start that includes Cavani.
Sanchez was also supposed to play on the right.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm not a fan of Martial's, but if Euro 2020 had been held in 2020 then Martial probably would have been on France's side based on his performances at the end of the season. Unfortunately I think that's as good as we will see from Martial at United which means he will be an expensive 2nd or 3rd string forward for another year or two.

crossy1686

career ending
People wanted Mourinho sacked before Martial because Mourinho was an actual problem for the club while Martial is just a player that is not as good as we hoped.
I think it was around the same time but there was even a Martial FC thread and some other shit name for people who supported Jose's decision to sell him.

JPRouve

Scout
I think it was around the same time but there was even a Martial FC thread and some other shit name for people who supported Jose's decision to sell him.
Martial FC has never been a serious thing, it was posters wumming the part of the fanbase who consistently ripped into Martial.

Raredaredevil

What is so threadworthy about this? Martial is incredibly inconsistent and his track record with France is so poor. I'll be surprised if he was called up considering they have so much attacking talent.

el3mel

Courtois is a dick, and while a good player, won’t be remembered as a legend anywhere himself.

Very good keeper, but instantly forgettable and someone you will struggle to remember in 20 years time.

Hard to name any top Courtois moments and can name a few for Martial. I hope he turns things around and makes him eat his words.
Courtois has been class for Madrid so far. Easily one of their best players last season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Martial is the butt of a lot of jokes and criticism recently. Both within the Manchester United fan bubble and out. I really really do hope he has a mega season this year.

JPRouve

Scout
We're not talking about Rashford though, are we?
You weren't part of the conversation at all while Rashford and his potential early absence was, so we were definitely talking about Rashford, Martial and all the attackers.

Highfather_24

No, it means Greenwood would move to the bench.

Cavani is our first choice CF. Whether Martial or Greenwood is the 2nd choice, remains to be seen. When Martial was fit, Ole preferred him in the middle, for his better hold up play.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

If he had made this comments a year back, a lot of the reactions would have been very different, as Martial was coming off a 35G+A season. To say that player is not a "major player" would have been laughed off. But football moves at a very quick pace. Memories are short(rightly).

Who are the major players in our squad btw? Maguire, Bruno, Shaw for sure. Cavani and Rashford arguably. Thinking in this terms you realise how its not really a big deal. Before this one his and Rashford career have been very similar, and most would deservedly consider Rashford a "major player" a year back.

el3mel

If he had made this comments a year back, a lot of the reactions would have been very different, as Martial was coming off a 35G+A season. To say that player is not a "major player" would have been laughed off. But football moves at a very quick pace. Memories are short(rightly).

Who are the major players in our squad btw? Maguire, Bruno, Shaw for sure. Cavani and Rashford arguably. Ehh, not a big deal. This conversation is easy to have because Martial had a bad season, before this one his and Rashford career have been very similar, and most would deservedly consider Rashford a "major player" a year back.
How is Cavani "arguably" ? He has been one of the best strikers in modern football in the last decade or so.

Highfather_24

How is Cavani "arguably" ? He has been one of the best strikers in modern football in the last decade or so.
Because he is not in his prime, and his playing time needs to be managed. Its not that I dont rate him, I think he is brilliant.

el3mel

Because he is not in his prime, and his playing time needs to be managed. Its not that I dont rate him, I think he is brilliant.
I'll argue that even at this age he's still a major player, shown by his performance on the pitch. Last season was difficult at the start because of the quarantine then his stupid ban by FA, which all hampered the number of games he played. I think he'll play a lot next year.

dal

In the last three trophies United won:
FA Cup: 2015–16 - 7 appearances, 2 goals 5 assists.
EFL Cup: 2016–17 - 3 appearances 2 goals.
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17 - 10 appearances, 1 goal

He has scored 78 goals in 258 appearances, including I believe 50 assists (31 PL assists, 12 in the FA Cup, 2 in the EFL, 4 in the CL and 1 in the EL). That is a goal or assist contribution in nearly every other game. If you consider that to be a fluke then quite frankly you need your readjust your expectations. By all means criticise his inconsistency and his poor form last season, but don't take that to stupid levels.
He isn’t good enough for a club like ours, on form he’s brilliant but it just isn’t enough, interesting to see how many of those games he’s played as a main striker for us though.

DoomSlayer

You weren't part of the conversation at all while Rashford and his potential early absence was, so we were definitely talking about Rashford, Martial and all the attackers.
But the main point is about Martial, just because you like to shoehorn Rahsford in every discussion of Martial, doesn't mean that the conversation has to be diluted so much.

Rashford and Sancho will be the future of our club, Martial - probably not so much.

Silas

Martial's despised by about 80% of the caf yet still gets called overrated. :lol:

Last edited: