Craig Pawson

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
3 corners in stoppage time , the ball was out of play for 30 seconds for the 1st one
I'd be surprised if that gets counted tbh, would assume it's just natural stoppage in game and dosen't get added on like injuries.

Were there any injuries as given there were two goals you could say it should've just been one minute in the first place.

Hes just giving the decisions to whoever shouts the loudest. Why are the current crop of referees so bad?

macheda14

Does anyone else absolutely hate people saying “this is RAWKish” it’s just annoying.
When people cry conspiracy then yes it’s RAWKish. We can’t criticise them for their wacko theories one moment and cry conspiracy the next. The basic truth is the standard of refereeing is dog shit, that is all.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The ref was poor. When are they not.
Anyone blaming that performance on the ref needs a slap

dev1l

He started giving yellows to wba in the 85 min just to give the impression he was hard on them.

I m.old enough to have witnessed such antics many times.

He's a joke. We were poor but that doesn't excuse his performance. If Southampton can ask that Dean doesn't ref them anymore I'd love to do the same for Pawson.

The pen overturn was fecking mindboggling. Clear and obvious my arse.

dev1l

The ref was poor. When are they not.
Anyone blaming that performance on the ref needs a slap
We were crap but with a fair ref we would have won it. At the end of the day, the goal which gave them the point was a foul.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People say that ref's performance shouldn't impact the result especially in games where difference in quality is this high, but games like today is exactly why I disagree.

If the ref is directly responsible for 3 goal swing, I think there isn't a lot a team can do.

1. There's a clear foul on Lindelof for the first goal. We have had goals chalked off for lesser fouls including the one vs SHU.
2. The counter attack. It's a 4v2 attack ffs. We've lost 30 seconds due to 3 corners in stoppage time. Just let the attack get completed there
3.The penalty. If you're not ruling it out for offside, that is always a pen

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People say that ref's performance shouldn't impact the result especially in games where difference in quality is this high, but games like today is exactly why I disagree.

If the ref is directly responsible for 3 goal swing, I think there isn't a lot a team can do.

1. There's a clear foul on Lindelof for the first goal. We have had goals chalked off for lesser fouls including the one vs SHU.
2. The counter attack. It's a 4v2 attack ffs. We've lost 30 seconds due to 3 corners in stoppage time. Just let the attack get completed there
3.The penalty. If you're not ruling it out for offside, that is always a pen
Not really... You'd have 10 penalties every weekend otherwise (with Maguire giving away one!)

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
It was so so obvious that he wasn't going to give us absolutely anything and give West Brom everything. It is almost as if he gave the penalty to save himself from scrutiny. He must have laughed inside silly when he got chance to go to TV so that he can reverse it.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Not really... You'd have 10 penalties every weekend otherwise (with Maguire giving away one!)
You’re just wrong with this opinion, and this line of reasoning (you’d be giving 10 blah blah blahs a week) is a bit daft. The penalty is given on the field. That means it has to be an obvious error to overturn. The only way it’s an obvious error, ie not subjectively, but objectively not a penalty is if there is no contact. We’ve seen this consistently all season. There has not been a single penalty overturned where there has been any contact at all, if it was given on the field. And yet here we are.

anant

Not really. The defender was on the wrong side and made no attempt to head/attack the ball.

2 weeks ago, the same ref gave a red to Luiz and a pen to Wolves for a lighter contact.

Silverman

The standard of refereeing in the league is embarrassing.
So many of them seem so arrogant and they are absolutely useless.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
You’re just wrong with this opinion, and this line of reasoning (you’d be giving 10 blah blah blahs a week) is a bit daft. The penalty is given on the field. That means it has to be an obvious error to overturn. The only way it’s an obvious error, ie not subjectively, but objectively not a penalty is if there is no contact. We’ve seen this consistently all season. There has not been a single penalty overturned where there has been any contact at all, if it was given on the field. And yet here we are.
Incorrect, if the ref thinks he saw something (i.e. The defender trip Maguire or pull him down with force) that didn't actually happen then it is an error.

And there has been overturned when contact, there was one in the reverse fixture!!

This is a coming together you see all the time, do you really want that to be a penalty?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Not really. The defender was on the wrong side and made no attempt to head/attack the ball.

2 weeks ago, the same ref gave a red to Luiz and a pen to Wolves for a lighter contact.
Luiz stopped the player from shooting by being too close. This was just a coming together, if Maguire actually had the ball at his feet it would be different, but as it is they're both running back.

You would never want to concede a pen for something like that.

anant

Luiz stopped the player from shooting by being too close. This was just a coming together, if Maguire actually had the ball at his feet it would be different, but as it is they're both running back.

You would never want to concede a pen for something like that.
Not really, here, the defender put his hand on Maguire's shoulder stopping him from maybe reaching the ball. If you're not flagging it for offside, it has to be given as a pen.

Either ways, it's surely not a "coming together" as it wasn't their legs that got tangled anyways

Park's Petrified Pooch

Incorrect, if the ref thinks he saw something (i.e. The defender trip Maguire or pull him down with force) that didn't actually happen then it is an error.

And there has been overturned when contact, there was one in the reverse fixture!!
The ref clearly points to Ajayi, says his name and says he pulled him back. On the replay it shows him pull him back. He should never have been sent to the screen. It’s not an error on field, as he saw correctly what happened. Deciding on the degree of contact is subjective, and constitutes a re-refereeing of the incident. Which the PGMOL have categorically stated should not happen.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Hes just giving the decisions to whoever shouts the loudest. Why are the current crop of referees so bad?
Really annoying to see the most prestigious league in the world with the highest amount of talent and money to see referees of such low standard. FA full of shite is the problem to start with, some of the refs are just there because their friends with them. BTW Pawson I don't think is the worst of them, He's kinda week, which could help us more than not, with us being on top usually however he made up for his mistake with VAR, otherwise okay game.

Peopleare angry because we lost today, but we lost the game because of our sheer incompetence not because of ref..

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The ref clearly points to Ajayi, says his name and says he pulled him back. On the replay it shows him pull him back. He should never have been sent to the screen. It’s not an error on field, as he saw correctly what happened. Deciding on the degree of contact is subjective, and constitutes a re-refereeing of the incident. Which the PGMOL have categorically stated should not happen.
Oh come on, he's hardly pulled him back. The hand has gone on the shoulder for a split second. It's barely impeded Maguire. Touching players in the box isn't a foul.

Maguire literally does that all the time in our box... Would you like to see them given as penalties?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I don't know, being a referee is pretty hard, you can't blame him. Plus Maguire looks to me like the kind of player that would do these things.

cyberman

This is a coming together you see all the time, do you really want that to be a penalty?
But he saw it and motioned what he saw which is exactly what VAR showed him.
Why are they showing him an incident he clearly saw again?

ShinjiNinja26

Shite. The standard of refereeing as a whole in the PL is an absolute joke. I can’t think of one decent ref, their all shite! This is meant to be the so called biggest league in the world yet the officiating is utter tripe, probably get a better standard in league one.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
But he saw it and motioned what he saw which is exactly what VAR showed him.
Why are they showing him an incident he clearly saw again?
Because he probably thought there was a tug or pull strong enough to bring Maguire down. Clearly there wasn't. He touched his shoulder for a second, that's it.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Oh come on, he's hardly pulled him back. The hand has gone on the shoulder for a split second. It's barely impeded Maguire. Touching players in the box isn't a foul.

Maguire literally does that all the time in our box... Would you like to see them given as penalties?
I’m just going to stop this back and forth because I know you’re a well respected poster on here and there’s nothing to gain from me arguing the toss with you. I think you’re wrong, objectively speaking based on the referee on fields assertion and the rules laid out on how and when VAR can intervene. I also think you’re wrong about the foul on Lindelof but you’re like a bull in a China shop today arguing about that one too. So, you crack on, good day to you.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I’m just going to stop this back and forth because I know you’re a well respected poster on here and there’s nothing to gain from me arguing the toss with you. I think you’re wrong, objectively speaking based on the referee on fields assertion and the rules laid out on how and when VAR can intervene. I also think you’re wrong about the foul on Lindelof but you’re like a bull in a China shop today arguing about that one too. So, you crack on, good day to you.
Don't worry mate you're totally wrong... I have zero respect on here! :)

anant

Because he probably thought there was a tug or pull strong enough to bring Maguire down. Clearly there wasn't. He touched his shoulder for a second, that's it.
But that's not what VAR is for. How strong the contact is is a subjective thing. If you're making a significant touch with the attacker, and a pen is given against you, you can't really complain about that.

Ditto happened last week when Salah was given a pen, and the same thing has happened all throughout the season. The thing is, if it wasn't given as a pen, I wouldn't say that we should have been awarded a pen, as it was a 50-50 tackle. And this is exactly what makes VAR more frustrating

Annihilate Now!

Scout
But that's not what VAR is for. How strong the contact is is a subjective thing. If you're making a significant touch with the attacker, and a pen is given against you, you can't really complain about that.

Ditto happened last week when Salah was given a pen, and the same thing has happened all throughout the season. The thing is, if it wasn't given as a pen, I wouldn't say that we should have been awarded a pen, as it was a 50-50 tackle. And this is exactly what makes VAR more frustrating
Aye. That's where the stupidity and inconsistancy in VAR is... Its not managed the same from game to game.

In another match the ref still say, the defender pulled Maguire and the VAR will check for a touch and green light it. Another day (today) the VAR will psycho analyse it and ask if he saw a big pull/little pull etc.

I reckon Moss has finished his half time pie(s) and was just bored.

arthurka

Goal, pen and that foul on Harry in the second. We were absolutely tumescent but so was he.