Craig Pawson

ManUnitedCanuck

We know if any United already on yellow fouled their keeper like that he'd be off but he can't send a player off in their big game as it's plucky Brighton and ruin the story.

Did the Brighton player bear hugging our player for an eternity actually get booked? He played the "advantage" of course and booked our two players for minimal holding during the game.
]

Nope didn’t book him, after dragging a player from behind for about 10 yards, was insane actually. Unexplainable.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why is English football full off amateur referees, isnt the FA supposed do something with that, bunch of lazy di*kheads really. So much money and quality in the league and one thing so overlooked is the huge substandard of refereeing. Hire international referees, I don't care, but this ultimately deserves a ban and a fine, so many blatant yellows and a potential of a couple of reds, at least it's over and didn't cost us.
Lower league football is crying out for referees. Quite difficult to improve the quality of what we have when nobody wants to do it.

I do agree about appointing referees from overseas though. Seems like an obvious option at this point.

Bangor_Red

Estupinian tried to rugby tackle Antony after losing the ball. Missed him but the intent was there. Literally dived at him. Thought a fair few were poor today. Didn't understand when rashfords was taken out how it was their free?

LDUred

Webster should have been off arguably twice over with four professional fouls and you could argue that Mitoma got away with two out-of-control, reckless, studs-up challenges where he was nowhere near the ball. Plus there was a whole host of other yellow card challenges that he mysteriously let go. Estupinan and Gross were also lucky to get away with some very dubious challenges.

It was honestly one of the most pathetic refereeing performances I've ever seen.

SER19

Webster should have been off arguably twice over with four professional fouls and you could argue that Mitoma got away with two red card challenges. Plus there was a whole host of other yellow card challenges that he somehow let go.

It was honestly one of the most shocking refereeing performances I've ever seen.
Im still struggling to enjoy the win. Among the worst ever

SER19

Was it Dalot who was wiped out very very late and he played advantage but gave no yellow

Ralaks

Imagine he was afraid of doing anything which might be considered debatable against Brighton after recent events. Just shows how much bias is in this

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He was diabolical. Thank goodness we won in spite of him.

I get that the refs will want to go easy on Brighton who have had some horrendous decisions go against them in multiple games, but that's not our problem. You still have to ref the game as per the rules, and be fair. Just terrible.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't remember too many game decisions he got noticeably wrong (in other words worse than a normal ref), but my god he was ridiculously bad with his yellow cards. It's no exaggeration to say that Brighton got away with five, arguably six, yellow card fouls (one of which would have seen Brighton down to 10 men). If he treated us the same it wouldn't have been so bad as at least he would have been consistent, but he was more than happy to show them to us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Some really bizarre decisions in that game. I don't understand how Webster didn't pick up a yellow at the very least.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lower league football is crying out for referees. Quite difficult to improve the quality of what we have when nobody wants to do it.

I do agree about appointing referees from overseas though. Seems like an obvious option at this point.
We shouldn’t be relying on British referees. If they’re not good enough, which they are not, we should be bringing in the best referees from around Europe and further a field.

Absolutely nobody gives a shit about whether we are producing “talented British referees”. There is zero pride in it and zero benefit.

Who knows, it might upset the old boys network and force them to analyse their own performances

Baneofthegame

Apparently if you book a Brighton player you are fined a percentage of your match fee.

The only reason I can tell why Caicedo and Webster weren't booked.

Jordan_mufc

That was a disgrace of a performance from the ref from a card perspective.

Scandalous that he didn't book Caicedo, Webster, Mitoma (again), and Estupinian. 5 clear yellow cards and he gave one.

We ended up with 3 for the exact same offences. Brutal stuff

Superunknown

I'm not really one to point fingers and blame referees, and I understand that they've got a difficult job to do. But, today was more than a little 'off'. No real explanation why he was so ready to book our players, yet he let so much go for the other side. I fully agree with those saying that there was a clear lack of consistency today. It was very odd.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
According to the stats:

To reach 5 yellow cards, United would need to have fouled another 8 times.

Brighton would have needed to foul another 68 times.

Boneli

Even with all the yellow cards for Brighton that he missed, I think his crowning moment was when he blew his whistle for the end of the half when we were on the counter, 5 seconds before the minimum time had elapsed, and after we had a player down for at least a full minute during the injury time. Nothing will be mentioned in all the post match coverage at all, but it really should be. He had such an impact in making that game far closer than it should have been.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I mentioned this few weeks back but it’s insane how much of the decision making is now being done on perception rather than actual action. Some of our players now have terrible perception about them and it’s difficult to get rid. Rashford can’t get a pen unless he is crushed in the box, Bruno can be hit around but can’t get fouls, any foul Casemiro makes is a card and Maguire must always be at fault in a 50-50. It’s driving me mad

Okey

The level keeps dropping. Like they're trying to outdo each other. How he didn't book the player that tried to drag down Wan Bissaka after he played the advantage is still beyond me. They don't get more obvious than that. Almost like he just pretended to forget! Of course of the other howlers have been severally listed.

Irrational.

The foul where the Brighton player dragged AWB back during an attack and he allowed play to continue without going back to book the player had me shaking my head in disbelief.

arnie_ni

Was it Dalot who was wiped out very very late and he played advantage but gave no yellow
Played advantage twice and twice didn't go back for a yellow. Caciado on dalot on the left wing and the left back tried to rugby tackle awb as well

HookedOnAPhelan

Flat out bizarre how he refused to give Brighton several clear yellow cards, including a second for Mitoma. Other than that he was fine. Still a cnut though.

SER19

Flat out bizarre how he refused to give Brighton several clear yellow cards, including a second for Mitoma. Other than that he was fine. Still a cnut though.
I really don't think you can say 'other than that'. Several yellows not given massively impacts how the game is played. Casemiro quite clearly withdrew from tackles after and in fact Shaw took a yellow to bail him out. Having Webster and caceido play 2 hours free from this risk of red is instrumental. Pawson was more important than every player that played today and that's the sign of a terrible performance. Thank feck there were no penalty claims or he'd have messed that up too