Cricket

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Feck sake, he looks bigger than the Bermudan whale.
Please can we have some respect for Dwayne Leverock (and Cornwall), he was practically the only interesting thing about the 2007 World Cup.

freeurmind

weak willed
Honestly had to check a few times that I was really watching the cricket, this guy is humongous.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think he is already a part of Rajasthan Royals and I do not see any reason they will let him go unless ECB wants their players to pull out. Rajasthan, in fact, have a wonderful squad which includes Buttler, Stokes, Archer and Smith. Surely if they all play the whole tournament I can see them even winning it.
Plus Oshane Thomas & Ish Sodhi!! They are going to be incredible next IPL season

Great interview here just before CWC19, with their predictions

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I actually like Big bash and wish BCCI allows Indian players to participate in other leagues, especially the fringe players who are not getting to play regular matches here. I also think ECB missed a golden chance to revamp their T20 league. Instead they are going for the 100 which just complicates the game even more. We already have 3 formats , why add another.
I was also very confused about The100 and dead against it, until a friend of mine involved with it recently explained the strategy to me.

The100 is not aimed at existing cricket fans, certainly no-one in these threads who already watches and posts about it. So it's obvious we will not like the sound of it, and that's fine, there is plenty of cricket to satisfy our needs. But in UK, cricket has been losing participants and viewers for several years, and this is a single minded strategy to attract new players and viewers, and not to make existing fans watch or play more.

Non players/viewers have a massive barrier to existing formats which is they don't think the time required is worth it. Likewise, BBC refused to allow for the 'free to air airtime required for 3.5 hour T20 game. Also you cant fit a game of T20 into the school timetable, as schools often only have a 2 hours sports window, inside school hours.

So ECB invented the The100 to fit into BBC free to air TV schedule.

Just by being on free to air, it will attract a new UK audience, who currently don't know the game, or wont pay for sky subscriptions. I guess they hope that some of these new viewers will go onto watching the other formats. Also, the hope is that after watching The100, school kids will want to play, and the format can be easily be integrated into a school curriculum.

As long as existing cricket fans understand this, and take the format for what it is, I think it'll be great for the game in UK in longterm and may be exportable into other countries, especially the 'schools' participation bit.

AJ10

Bumrah :drool:

Kholi :lol:

This Cornwall fella is fecking massive.

Last edited:

sport2793

No doubt that Bumrah is a force multiplier and the best Indian fast bowler ever, but it shouldn't be lost that this is the best overall fast bowling attack India have ever had also. Shami is world class and has quietly had a good test series so far.

Skills

Snitch
India's top order getting skittled by Roach. Trying to inflate their averages with a cheap, meaningless 2nd innings hundreds.

ChrisNelson

So I got a bit drunk on Saturday night at a wedding and woke up on Sunday to find I had booked a ticket for Derbyshire's away T20 QF at Gloucestershire this weekend!

I paid £20 for the ticket and I've now forked out £25 for coach travel and I'm going on my own, look out for me on the telly!

I go to most of Derbyshire's T20 matches with a mate and I was determined to do this one because we don't have much success as a county.

He wasn't bothered, particularly as it's on telly and we did Bristol a few weeks ago on a ground hop so in the end I relented but deep down I obviously was quite desperate to go!

Up the Falcons!

JohnnyKills

So I got a bit drunk on Saturday night at a wedding and woke up on Sunday to find I had booked a ticket for Derbyshire's away T20 QF at Gloucestershire this weekend!

I paid £20 for the ticket and I've now forked out £25 for coach travel and I'm going on my own, look out for me on the telly!

I go to most of Derbyshire's T20 matches with a mate and I was determined to do this one because we don't have much success as a county.

He wasn't bothered, particularly as it's on telly and we did Bristol a few weeks ago on a ground hop so in the end I relented but deep down I obviously was quite desperate to go!

Up the Falcons!
Great stuff mate, enjoy!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Abhimanyu Easwaran surely should be in the next squad as an opener, been in excellent form.

Elsewere Afghanistan are playing very well in Bangladesh.

KM

Holy shit, Afghanistan just defeated Bangladesh in a test match in Bangladesh!

Incredible stuff.

And as far as Bangladesh goes :lol::lol:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant from Afghanistan!! Congrats.

kotha

225 run margin.. Basically destroyed them in all ways..

Shame the ICC didn't have many associate nations in the world cup.. Need to replicate the Afghan story in other countries too and spread the game..

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Utterly humiliating for Bangladesh. Rain took away so many overs and still they lose by big margin, at home, to newbies. Well done to Afghanistan.

KM

225 run margin.. Basically destroyed them in all ways..

Shame the ICC didn't have many associate nations in the world cup.. Need to replicate the Afghan story in other countries too and spread the game..
I think the Nepal team has two or three decent talents too and they play to packed grounds. I can see them going up in a few years.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I love cricket, it's my favorite sport and I have followed Lancs and England since the late sixties. With that being said I wonder how some of you guys fell in love with the game. For me it begin with the advent of the John Player League in 1969. It turned out Lancashire were good at the limited overs stuff and I was hooked. My first memories of test match cricket came a year later in 1970. England were supposed to play South Africa but because of the "D'Oliveira affair" there was going to be no cricket that summer so England played the Rest of the World instead. The tour really piqued my attention since Basil D'Oliveira had played for Middleton in the Central Lancs League a number of years earlier and he lived next door to my aunt so when I went to visit her I used to play football (funnily enough) with his son Damian. Thus when the shit hit the fan as far as not letting Basil play on the South African tour of 68/69 I really took notice. It's funny how the mind works because the only things that stick out for me from that series were the Rest of the World won and Eddie Barlow wore glasses. I have since been to most of the test grounds in the UK watching England and actually traveled to the West Indies (not quite barmy army level) to do the same. Over the years (ironically enough since it was my first exposure to the game) I've found limited overs cricket to be OK but IMLTHO you can't beat the 5 day game.

..............Test match cricket, greatest game ever invented.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Maybe the wrong thread for it - but a nice little documentary on BBC4 tonight (first aired a couple of years ago but now also back on iPlayer I guess?) called Race and Pace: The West Indians in East Lancashire. It talks about players like Learie Constantine (who played for Nelson) back in the 1930s who came to join the (mostly amateur) Lancashire League teams as the club pro through to Viv Richards who played for Rishton in the 80s.

It's mostly innocent reminiscence rather than hard edged analysis but some interesting insights.