Cricket

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Pathetic decision. They should give out a proper reasoning as to why he was discarded from the team and I think his contribution deserves a proper send off rather than a simple press conference.

One of the best batsmen in last fifteen years and a proper joy to watch.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Why should he get a good send-off? By all accounts he's been a twat of the highest order on numerous occasions. Destructive, exciting batsman, but that's about all he'll be remembered for after 20 years, aside from a series of shocking hairstyles.

RedRover

Pathetic decision. They should give out a proper reasoning as to why he was discarded from the team and I think his contribution deserves a proper send off rather than a simple press conference.

One of the best batsmen in last fifteen years and a proper joy to watch.
I'm not sure that does anyone any good. We have this thirst for gossip on and seem to think we have the right to know everything goes on behind the scenes.

Clearly things are complicated and its evident from his behavior in the past that he's difficult to manage. Righly or wrongly the new management have made a decision to exclude him and to build the future without him. Whether that proves to be the right decision is clearly up for debate - and I can see whay people would think it isnt.

But I dont see what a load of "finger pointing" achieves. I'm sure England have good reason and could make a statement pointing out the flaws of Pietersen as a man and a player if they wished. But why do that? It doesnt help the team going forward, its probably unfair on the player who will want to move on and it just whips up a whole media frenzy. The player and England are, for me, entitled to move on quietly having taken what must be a very difficult decision.

On the pitch it may prove to be the wrong one - but I dont see what having an inquest into it is going to do to help aleviate that risk. All it does is satisfy nosy fans and give the Journo's something to fill their papers with. The biggest point to note is that pretty much everyone knows broadly why he's being bombed out anyway - we just want it confirming and to rtake over a load of scandal.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They seem to be backing Cook all the way. Got rid of the coach, get rid of the other big personality in the dressing room. It's a big decision, he's hardly an inspiring captain and if he fails again then what will they do? Other than Bell, there's no experience left in the batting line-up and apart from Broad, no one left who can step-up to be a captain (Bell could, but he'd be as uninspiring as Cook is).

ECB should come out and explain their decision.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
They seem to be backing Cook all the way. Got rid of the coach, get rid of the other big personality in the dressing room. It's a big decision, he's hardly an inspiring captain and if he fails again then what will they do? Other than Bell, there's no experience left in the batting line-up and apart from Broad, no one left who can step-up to be a captain (Bell could, but he'd be as uninspiring as Cook is).

ECB should come out and explain their decision.
Broad's demeanour is not right to be captain of England.

ha_rooney

Broad's demeanour is not right to be captain of England.
Agreed. But that leaves no alternative to Cook. Anderson and Bell don't come across as inspiring choices. Broad is the only one with some character, but I agree he should not be captain, especially not in Tests.

I'm not sure if they've named the ODI captain for the series in the Windies. That could give an indication who the ECB consider as another option to Cook.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bell wouldn't be a bad choice as captain in my view. He always talks fairly well and has captained Warwickshire a few times, even lead them to a one day trophy domestically.

zing

Zingle balls
I'd like to know what KP has done. Must be pretty bad if they've taken this step.

They've stuck through him when he texted opposition insulting his own captain, mocked James Taylor's ability, both of which seem like pretty good reasons to throw a player out of a team, regardless of how good he is.

RedRover

I'd like to know what KP has done. Must be pretty bad if they've taken this step.

They've stuck through him when he texted opposition insulting his own captain, mocked James Taylor's ability, both of which seem like pretty good reasons to throw a player out of a team, regardless of how good he is.
The texting of opposition players during the South Africa debacle is more than enough for me. I'm all for having a "talent" in there who is perhaps a bit difficult to handle, but how do you come back from that?

Cricket is a team game and players spend months away together all over the world. I can imagine he is not that well liked - but he doesnt seem to care.

His form in the summer was better than some - but not good enough for a player of his calibre. He gave his wicket away far too frequently, rather than play for the team. He seems too old to change and personally I suspect he fully believed that after Flower went, he'd won the battle.

NinjaFletch

Allegedly, Pietersen became unmanageable in Australia,
Alleges who? The only thing we've heard (Swann) is this

“People seem keen to create a rift between Kevin and the rest of the team. Among the more ludicrous stories was one claiming he did not go to the team’s Christmas lunch.

“I know he did – because I sat next to him. Since being reintegrated in 2012, his attitude has been great. He was England’s top run scorer in the Ashes and is one of the world’s best players, so why get rid of him?”
Cook, of course, had brought Pietersen in from the cold a year earlier. In another interview Cook said Pietersen was a rare talent and that 100 Tests was a very special achievement and to be applauded. The words were considered but not obviously warm. Perhaps Cook knew he had wrapped his arms around a time bomb.
Obvious hindsight, if Cook didn't want him back 'textgate' gave enough of an excuse to jettison him. Anachronistic garbage.

Some of the team really don't like Pietersen. A few do. Only the fresh faces will still be working it out. Without KP around, Graeme Swann might still be playing
More tosh. Swann's elbow will miraculously heal by Pietersen not being in the team?

With power comes responsibility and too often - in four of the five Tests, come to think of it - Pietersen perished without reference to the situation in which the team found itself. The nub of Downton's quote is the phrase: "We must start to rebuild, not only the team but the team ethic and philosophy."
Yes, absolutely fine. I agree with this (which lets be honest is just stolen from Boycott, but never mind) but the same could be argued for any of them. I don't think Nicholas would make the same argument if Bell was axed instead, who was equally guilty of playing frankly stupid shots, but also scored less runs. They all got themselves out all the time.

Certainly, there is something in not being "English" while playing for England. Pietersen is tired of the references to South Africa.
This whole section is again tripe. Mark Ramprakash found test cricket too much, Yardy has suffered from depression. Botham loved a party. Boycott took a 3 year absence for similar reasons to Trott. And arguing the Greig/Packer incident occured because Greig was a South African is one of the biggest nonsenses I've ever heard.

Having fallen foul of Nottinghamshire, he moved on from Hampshire too
Yeah, where they actually related though or is this just a lazy statement?

Whispers and rumours are unpleasant and destructive.
Agreed, so why write a whole article base on them?

KM

Morgan and Priot in action now. Piers Morgan that is.

Rednotdead

What I find amazing is that Cook has survived as captain. To my mind he simply isn't leader material, he lacks an air of authority on the field. He's too reactive, whereas a good captain is proactive and always trying different things. The difference between his approach and Clarke's was night and day.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
What a stupid decision. Even more stupid if it was Cook who gave the ultimatum. Considering Cook should be sacked as England's captain.

zing

Zingle balls
Yea. Completely agree with that. Bizarre that Cook is sitting in on the decision. He's simplistic and should not be captain.

NinjaFletch

Yea. Completely agree with that. Bizarre that Cook is sitting in on the decision. He's simplistic and should not be captain.
Why is it bizarre?

He was never going to go and the captain having an input in team selection is normal procedure.

JSArsenal

So Pietersen is gone and apparently his attitude has caused his downfall.

Could you imagine if that sort of thinking was used as justification to sell on a player in football, on a wide spread level that is. There would be no one actually on the pitch, well that is a gross exaggeration but still.

To continue with this comparison, plenty of players in football are known for having a "bad attitude". Case in point, Van Persie, by all accounts he was the absolute worst at Arsenal in terms of attitude but well tolerated him and loved him because of his performances on the pitch. Nasri was the same, there was this story about how he refused to give up his seat on the team bus to a senior member of the French National Team but that wasn't our concern, he was "the next Robert Pires". Soon as those two got shown the door, every Arsenal fan starts berating their attitude and crying down the same players they once idolized a month ago, but that is human nature. He might be a delinquent (for lack of a better word in light of the rules) but he's our delinquent.

Why can't that same attitude be applied to Pietersen? Plenty of talented individuals get tolerated in terms of their attitude because of what they deliver on the field, movie set or business environment.

England already have to find a new test spinner, new number 3 batsman and Prior hasn't been pulling up any trees lately so may be a new wicket keeper. Why get rid of the best batsman in the team and senior pro during this period of rebuilding? Why go through all of this upheaval? The player that replaces him will have a world of pressure on his shoulders now as well.

If it was felt that his attitude was beginning to cost more than his value on the field (which is the line being thrown out) then it should have been worked out internally. If Swann and Trott were still there then may be I would feel differently about this but losing 3 high quality players like that in a short period of time is just too much change for me.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Why is it bizarre?

He was never going to go and the captain having an input in team selection is normal procedure.
I find the bizarre thing that Cook has seemingly come out of this unscathed. He was awful with the bat and an awful captain.

ha_rooney

Players only meetings are common in the NFL & NBA, usually what is said in there stays in there and there are no/little repercussions. Regardless what KP said and how aggressive it may have been, it should not have got back to Flower. Once it did get back to Flower, I imagine KP stood his ground whilst others backtracked, which is why he's been thrown aside by himself.

This is the type of backroom politics Pakistani cricket suffers with. I'm surprised how petty the ECB have been. Considering a year ago the England team were supposedly the second best team in world cricket, the last 3 months have been a big fall from grace.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
his best innings on sky sports 2 right now. fcuking useless ecb.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
at least we've got joe root to come in and play knocks like this....

Rednotdead

The ECB is in a big hole and they're just keeping on digging. They're terrified of making their reasons for sacking him public as they know his lawyers will pounce on it straight away.

We were a laughing stock on the field all Winter and we're a laughing stock off it now.

TheGame

So Pietersen is gone and apparently his attitude has caused his downfall.

Could you imagine if that sort of thinking was used as justification to sell on a player in football, on a wide spread level that is. There would be no one actually on the pitch, well that is a gross exaggeration but still.

To continue with this comparison, plenty of players in football are known for having a "bad attitude". Case in point, Van Persie, by all accounts he was the absolute worst at Arsenal in terms of attitude but well tolerated him and loved him because of his performances on the pitch. Nasri was the same, there was this story about how he refused to give up his seat on the team bus to a senior member of the French National Team but that wasn't our concern, he was "the next Robert Pires". Soon as those two got shown the door, every Arsenal fan starts berating their attitude and crying down the same players they once idolized a month ago, but that is human nature. He might be a delinquent (for lack of a better word in light of the rules) but he's our delinquent.

Why can't that same attitude be applied to Pietersen? Plenty of talented individuals get tolerated in terms of their attitude because of what they deliver on the field, movie set or business environment.

England already have to find a new test spinner, new number 3 batsman and Prior hasn't been pulling up any trees lately so may be a new wicket keeper. Why get rid of the best batsman in the team and senior pro during this period of rebuilding? Why go through all of this upheaval? The player that replaces him will have a world of pressure on his shoulders now as well.

If it was felt that his attitude was beginning to cost more than his value on the field (which is the line being thrown out) then it should have been worked out internally. If Swann and Trott were still there then may be I would feel differently about this but losing 3 high quality players like that in a short period of time is just too much change for me.
If some player sent a text message slagging off his team mates, I don't think any top manager would put him back in the team and he would be sold. He is a quality batsmen and there are alot of unanswered question but I don't agree with your reasoning. Its obvious something has occurred and the fans need to know what it is.

zing

Zingle balls
u-19 WC in a week's time. Looking forward to it. Safaraz Khan and Samson names to watch out for. Samson must surely be the most exciting young talent in cricket. Personally believe he shouldn't be at the WC as this is like a level below his ability. Safaraz Khan is just 16 and at 15, made a century and some good scores againt South Africa A.

oleonenumber20

I'm worried about who is making the decisions at the ECB. Picking Kerrigan and Woakes for the final Ashes test in the summer was a mistake. Picking Giants as bowlers and then not playing them was a mistake. If the same men decided that getting rid of KP was a good idea then who knows where English cricket will end up.

KP will now become one onf the best T20 players in the world yet he is not at the world cup with England. Why not bring in the new coach and let him decide whether he wants KP or not. Cook says he does not have a problem with KP so I can only guess that is was a decision put upon by the men above him.

Now going forward there is no doubt that the test team needs a bit of a revamp. I think there is plenty of positions up for debate.

Openers.

Cook is the only certain name on the team sheet at the moment. I would opt to go with Sam Robson playing with him, a guy who has the ability to bat a long time and make big hundreds.
Bell needs to play at 3. At a time where only himself and Cook are the only senior batsmen Bell needs to take some responsibilty and finally make that 3 role his own. Trott may come back in time but I can see him just wanting to play the season with Warks.

Middle order.

I would have Root coming in at 4 just because it is the only position he hasn't batted in yet! I think he has the ability to sure up the middle order and make some big scores at 4.
Eoin Morgan comes back into the side for me, I've always rated the guy and with KP gone we need someone who can score quick and to entertain too!

6 is a tricky one, it depends if Stokes is used as part of a 4 man attack. If not he can bat here, or he can drop down the order and Ballance or Taylor comes in.

Wicket keeper position is up for grabs. If Prior starts the season well then he comes back in. However, Jos Butler's glovework will improve at Lancs and he has done well in the one dayers.

Bowlers.

Borthwick is the spinner, he will take a few seasons to settle but the guy has talent. Root is more than capable of backing him up. Adil Rashid at a good season at Yorks last season too.

Anderson and Broad are in then its between Finn, Bresnan and Jordan for the last spot.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I think David Miller is the one batsman from this T20 generation I'd pay to watch. Such a clean hitter of the cricket ball. Virtually no slogging, just tremendous hand eye coordination and timing.

NinjaFletch

Cook
Robson/Carberry
Root
Bell
Ballance
Stokes
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Borthwick
Anderson

I reckon they'll go with.

What a depressingly average side.

KM

The ICC has cleared the new board. SA seems to have agreed a deal with India.

KM

Protecting Test cricket

A Test Cricket Fund will be introduced to help ensure all of the Test playing teams will be able to sustain a home programme of Test cricket through to 2023. The fund will be available to all of the Test playing Members except the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket Australia (CA) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

There was also confirmation that all Full Members will enter into a series of contractually binding bi-lateral agreements as a matter of urgency so that they can confirm a comprehensive schedule of matches in a Future Tours Programme that will now be extended to 2023.

Breaking the glass ceiling

Associate Members now have a clear pathway to playing Test cricket. The winner of the next ICC Intercontinental Cup will be entitled to take part in a play-off against the bottom-ranked Full Member and, if successful, obtain Test status. This complements the pathways that are already in place for any Member to be able to qualify for the major events in ODI and T20I cricket.

A certain and attractive package of ICC major events

The World Test Championship will be replaced with an ICC Champions Trophy in 2017 and 2021.

It proved impossible to come up with a format for a four-team finals event in Test cricket that fits the culture of Test cricket and preserves the integrity of the format.

The most recent ICC Champions Trophy event proved to be very popular with supporters around the world and the future events will build on this success. It’s also an event that any ICC Member (including the top Associate Members) can aspire to qualifying for by improving their performances in ODI cricket.

With the ICC Champions Trophy alongside the ICC Cricket World Cup and ICC World Twenty20 and the formats and venues already confirmed for all of these events the ICC has a really attractive package for 2015-23 to take to the market.

A new financial model for Full Members

Full Members will gain greater financial recognition based on the contribution they have made to the game, particularly in terms of finance, their ICC history and their on-field performances in the three formats.

This decision is the outcome of a negotiation between Members that has been required to provide long-term certainty of participation of all Members in both ICC events and bilateral series against other Members. Without that certainty, the rights for ICC events, which are to be taken to market this year, would have been significantly impacted and, by extension, so would the financial support that has driven the growth of cricket around the world.

The structure of the model will ensure that none of the Full Members will be worse off than they are at present and - if forecasts of revenue generation prove to be correct – all will be significantly better off. The agreement of the model has been an important part of a wider negotiation that will now provide long-term certainty of participation in ICC events by all of the Full Member teams.

Enhanced support for the leading Associate Members

Funds that will be directly distributed to Associate and Affiliate Members (AMs) will continue to grow, building on a dramatic increase in the previous cycle (2007-15) if revenue targets are achieved. There is also a commitment to continue to support tournaments for all of the AMs and a range of centralised services.

The planning process for the next cycle can now begin in earnest and, as part of this, there will be a review – in partnership with the AMs and their representatives – of the appropriate scope of services and tournaments and the suitability of the current scorecard distribution model of the funds.

N.Srinivasan from BCCI to Chair the ICC Board from mid-2014

The ICC Board will continue to be the primary decision-making body. From the start of July this year, the ICC Chairman will be N.Srinivasan from the BCCI.

A new Executive Committee will be formed to report into the Board. The initial Chair of this Executive Committee (ExCo) will be Wally Edwards from Cricket Australia while the Chair of the Finance and Commercial Affairs Committee (F&CA) will continue to be Giles Clarke from the ECB. These roles will be for an initial two year transitional period to 2016 only.

Once this transitional period is completed, the Chair of the ICC Board will be elected from within the ICC Board with all Full Member Directors entitled to stand for election.

BCCI, CA and ECB - will be represented on both sub-committees, along with two representatives of the other Full Members (who will be elected by the Board).

Several of these decisions still now need to be considered and adopted by the ICC’s Full Council. The relevant resolutions will now be drafted through the appropriate committees, including the Governance Committee and the Board before being submitted for approval to Full Council.

A set of proposals was initially developed by the respective Chairs of BCCI, CA and ECB – N.Srinivasan, Wally Edwards and Giles Clarke before being presented to a meeting of the Full Members on 9 January.

These proposals were then discussed, negotiated and modified at two subsequent ICC Board meetings. A resolution was put to a vote today and supported by the required majority of the ICC Board, including eight Full Members. Two of the Full Members – Pakistan Cricket Board and Sri Lanka Cricket - abstained in the vote as they felt they needed more time to discuss the amended resolution with their respective Boards.

ICC President Alan Isaac said: “The Board has made some significant decisions today which provide us with long-term certainty in relation to the future governance, competition and financial models of the ICC.

“This decision comes after extensive discussions between Members that I helped initiate and were given impetus through a position paper presented by the BCCI, Cricket Australia and ECB in early January.

“Since this time a set of resolutions have been drafted, negotiated and modified – based on a set of principles agreed by the ICC Board on 28 January – and finalized at the meeting today. There were eight Full Members who were in a position to support the resolution today and the two who abstained have pledged to further discuss the issues with an aim to reaching unanimous approval over the coming weeks.”

ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said: “We now have clear direction from the Board and it is our job to implement the approved resolution.”

The ICC Board consists of the chairman or president from each of the 10 Full Members plus three elected Associate Member representatives. Also present at ICC Board meetings is the ICC President, who chairs proceedings, the ICC Chief Executive and the ICC Vice-President.

Doesn't sound too bad tbh.

*ducks*

KM

Btw it's scary how powerful Srinivasan is. From being charged with corruption to the ICC President.

ha_rooney

So the Test World Championship is permanently dead?

BCCI have too much power, but this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully this leads to a Test series between India and Pakistan, been too long since we had that.

zing

Zingle balls
I think I'll wait to pass judgment on the new proposals till the next set of tours is finalized. It says tours will be organised between member boards.

Problem with that is BCCI will simply refuse to tour teams if they don't agree to some motion that BCCI wants to pass at the ICC meetings.