Television Crime Scene - the cecil hotel discussion

AkaAkuma

I'll do my best to avoid spoilering this as its just dropped.

Within the genre of true crime it kinda drags out the story. What i did take away from it rather than the crime itself was social media sleuths, how opinions are formed by linking clues and creating a false narrative.

I think theres an interesting discussion to be had, but dont want to expand and spoiler the show...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I haven't watched the series but I watched some videos about the incident a while ago and it is strange but some of the theories are... out there

AkaAkuma

I haven't watched the series but I watched some videos about the incident a while ago and it is strange but some of the theories are... out there
The deaths a tragedy but the actual evidence and logic is quite simple.

The folklore of the hotel is just window dressing with the story of the sleuths the interesting story arch.

AkaAkuma

They dont really mention the out there theories. But just found the tuberculosis conspiracy. facepalm

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I watched the first ten minutes and i just couldn’t get into it. I’ll try again another night because the story does interest me

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Was alright, but I knew the story before so it wasn’t that exciting.

GBBQ

Watched an episode and a half last night before giving up. I knew the story and generally like deep dives into weird cases but it just felt too drawn out.

AkaAkuma

It was very drawn out and framed like a murder mystery weekend. The actual case was quite straightforward.

I found the social media aspect interesting, theres a death metal guy who got caught up in it. His persona was quite disturbing.

arnie_ni

It was very drawn out and framed like a murder mystery weekend. The actual case was quite straightforward.

I found the social media aspect interesting, theres a death metal guy who got caught up in it. His persona was quite disturbing.
I think she killed herself after having a bipolar episode but how did she close the lid on the tank?

The police said it was closed when they got there, but they weren't the first people there, did the janitor say it was open or closed?

Ekeke

Watched it as soon as it came out. Sad sad story.

The thing that stands out to me when we know everything we know by the end of the show is, wow thats a lot of human error and incompetancy. How the hell do you have an investigation and not check the water and see that the window is open? And nobody goes up there for 19 days after she dissappeared? Sounds like terrible police work. She would most likely have been dead already, but at the very least you could stop the utterly disgusting consequence of people using water with her rotting flesh in it.

I find it hard to feel that sorry for the Death Metal guy. What do you expect when you dress up like that, write that music, have the portraits of serial killers on your walls etc? Of course if something happens somewhere you've been you're going to be one of the first to look at. You can't expect to say the shit he says and then not be suspected. "Its just because of the way I look" - no its because of the things you say and how you've made yourself look on purpose. Its nothing natural, you dont need to look like that or say dumb shit, you choose to do it. So yeah no reflections from him about his part in it, so its hard to feel sorry for him. But at the same time I do a little bit as nobody should be bullied like that especially without evidence. That was too extreme.

As for the telling of the story, I wanted to know what happened with the girls she was staying with as soon as it was brought up. But they didnt go into it till episodes later. As soon as they explained what she had been doing and why they fell out it all made a lot more sense. If she knew these girls, perhaps from her tumblr? then perhaps they knew about her being on medication and her mental illness. In which case surely they could have tried to get some help for her rather than villifying her and geting her moved into a different room so they dont have to deal with her.

Bojan11

Yeah, this was boring because the ending was pretty much logical in what happened to her. There would be no story or conspiracies if she stayed at any other hotel and four episodes were way too much.

Nickosaur

Could have been done in one episode. Had lost all interest by the end.
This is becoming a theme in these netflix documentaries. Really strong premise and opening episodes, but by the end you completely lose interest. Often dragged out far too long.

Robbie Boy

This is becoming a theme in these netflix documentaries. Really strong premise and opening episodes, but by the end you completely lose interest. Often dragged out far too long.
Aye, I've found quite a few recent ones to be slog fests.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
They are all giving out on reddit about the amateur sleuth.

I have not watched it yet, but hope to give it a go soon enough.

SuperiorXI

Same sort of thing on show with that 'Don't feck with cats' documentary... idiots on the internet thinking they can do a better job than actual investigators and causing untold pain on the wrong people.

acnumber9

I'll do my best to avoid spoilering this as its just dropped.

Within the genre of true crime it kinda drags out the story. What i did take away from it rather than the crime itself was social media sleuths, how opinions are formed by linking clues and creating a false narrative.

I think theres an interesting discussion to be had, but dont want to expand and spoiler the show...
I’ve watched the first three episodes. The third one is full of these cretins, full of their own self importance, spouting the most ridiculous conspiracy theories. The series could’ve been done in two episodes at most.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The documentary itself was shite.

Why do they give so much air to these internet conspiracy theorists? Yes the whole case is a bit odd but she very likely had a mental break and climbed in there. Occam’s Razor and all that.

The third episode is hot garbage. When they start talking about the death metal guy it starts clutching desperately at straws. I know about the case as well so I know that episode 4 has absolutely no new information so I’ve no idea how they drag it out for another hour. Not going to watch it.

AkaAkuma

I think she killed herself after having a bipolar episode but how did she close the lid on the tank?

The police said it was closed when they got there, but they weren't the first people there, did the janitor say it was open or closed?
In ep4 the building supervisor said in his testomony that it was open. The officer who report it on live tv made a mistake.

arnie_ni

In ep4 the building supervisor said in his testomony that it was open. The officer who report it on live tv made a mistake.
Yep just watched episode 4 tonight. Thought I'd finished it

Amarsdd

The documentary wasn't really good and it ended up more being about shaming (deserved) the web sleuths.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems it’s being panned. Is it that bad? I normally like things like this

Kinky Melinky

This whole case always gave me the chills. The elevator footage is just so creepy. Once I got to the end of the documentary the mystery was put to rest. I enjoyed the 4 episodes and feel it's well worth the watch.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Seems it’s being panned. Is it that bad? I normally like things like this
If you like similar you’ll find it alright, also if you’re unfamiliar with the Lisa Elam case you’ll probably like it.

It didn’t need 4 episodes to be honest, 2 would have been fine, and I knew the case already so didn’t learn much.