Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He should have received the ball from Mason. He was completely free. Players are so selfish at times.

minoo-utd

He is doing his best, that’s what we want see from everyone. He defended and cleared many crosses and led that key pass to our winning goal and he needs some unselfish players to release him. But we still awful at creating chances.

Greck

Worked hard, but was pretty meh today overall.

Surprised to see some people here big up his contribution to the goal.It wasn’t anything special, Cavani did the difficult part.
We need to avoid judging contributions by only moments around the goal. It wasn't just one isolated play he deserved credit for. That was one of his many forays into deeper positions that springboarded several attacks. He won't get the goal but he'll facilitate it. Was important it paid off so it's not like he played a selfless role and didn't get rewarded.

Also imo why people continue to underrate Rooney till this day while all his strike partners got the glory of his all round play.

MrEleson

XGs do. And they indicate that he's had plenty of chances but that he's underperforming in terms of finishing.
EVen xG is a somehwat flawed stat. All I'm saying is I've watched all our games and I really don't see us creating any great chances for him. Apart from maybe the West Ham game away. No other game this season would I say we've served him chances on a platter and he's messed up.

Ladron de redcafe

He is doing his best, that’s what we want see from everyone. He defended and cleared many crosses and led that key pass to our winning goal and he needs some unselfish players to release him. But we still awful at creating chances.
There was only one key pass in the winner. That was Cavani's. The preassist from Martial that released him wasn't a key pass either.

Ladron de redcafe

EVen xG is a somehwat flawed stat. All I'm saying is I've watched all our games and I really don't see us creating any great chances for him. Apart from maybe the West Ham game away. No other game this season would I say we've served him chances on a platter and he's messed up.
It's the most accurate stat there is to describe goalscoring chances and it flies in the face of what you just said.

I've watched all our matches, and I see plenty of chances. His finishing has been subpar. That's on him. Not anyone else's fault.

flameinthesun

This has been the story of strikers at united for years. Our wingers are strikers so they go for goal rather than looking to feed the striker and the only creative outlet in the centre is Bruno. This is why for me our team works better with a creative CF (like in form Martial) rather than a more traditional striker. Ronaldo will face the same issues that cavani faced last season and lukaku before him. They will score a decent number of goals due to their quality but will always be limited by the fact greenwood and rashford are more likely to shoot than pass/cross.

kidbob

I don't buy the argument that Sancho and Greenwood would have been better without Ronaldo.

Sancho was crap way before Ronaldo came in. He was not even used in the English team. I have doubt that he is as good as people see him in the German league. Our history of signings from them would tell you that we should be cautious.

Greenwood was great in that season which was 2 seasons ago. He was more or less like this season last season until pretty late.

Point is that we don't have another striker who can play like the likes of Benzema or Firmino already in the squad. Greenwood has been playing on the right for two managers. As I said, they probably don't see him as a CF for now if ever.

And RVN moved because of Ronaldo or Rooney is as I said a bit of BS. He could have been in that winning team if he didn't piss of SAF. Ronaldo would have developed regardless of RVN being there or not which he was showing constantly with him in the team. It was just that both him and Rooney developed a lot at that stage of their career which is normal and that conceded with RVN leaving.

You would still end up with Martial or Cavani playing at no 9 which is not exactly upgraded to this version of Ronaldo in general. With that being said, I don't advocate for starting Ronaldo all the time.
I'll admit its speculation on my behalf.

However in general play the Greenwood of this season is clearly well above anything we've seen so far but his finishing has faltered, but we also haven't created any real chances for him consistently.

I honestly believe that the current Greenwood, in a functional team, can do all they can and still score a lot of goals. We have brought a young lad, who has been a scoring revelation in the youth teams, to expect him to somehow be a selfless winger. It makes no sense, especially when, lets be honest, he is the best finisher at the club. WE have misused him.

On Sancho, I mean yes he's been shit but do you honestly believe this is his level and we were wrong? Is one of the best players in the Bundesliga actually a Sunday League player? Again it makes no sense for him to be this bad. Less effective than he was? Yes. But to apparently lose all his ability?

So now we have established the quality of the 2 players I believe that Ronaldo's presence hampers them, especially Mason. In the mean time Ronaldo's presence has simply not been worth as much as a top level Sancho and Greenwood would be.

Regardless of how he moved on getting rid of Ruud allowed us to become more fluid as a team and thus reach the levels we did. Tevez would eventually prove that, even though nowhere near the goalscorer, his type of striker was more ideal for that team than Ruuud.

See in my ideal (and I admit it is ideal) you would end up with Mason as the centre forward, where he has always shone, and we wouldn't have stunted his growth. FFS we are expecting him to play like Foden even though City would never ask Foden to play like Greenwood.

bakalhau

We need to avoid judging contributions by only moments around the goal. It wasn't just one isolated play he deserved credit for. That was one of his many forays into deeper positions that springboarded several attacks. He won't get the goal but he'll facilitate it. Was important it paid off so it's not like he played a selfless role and didn't get rewarded.

Also imo why people continue to underrate Rooney till this day while all his strike partners got the glory of his all round play.

Even the chance Martial has near the end, once again like last game, Ronaldo opens that space because he drags the CB along with him and Martial is alone and Bruno puts the pass in. As some people say, when he drops back someone should attack the space (like someone else said here very, very very well, Madrid did that a lot).

Cavani is the only one that fully understands these dynamics just because he's a striker with that instinct. Other players in the team don't always do that but I understand that it's fair that maybe they play a position where that sort of killer instinct isn't crossing their mind all the time because it's also not their main role to just be scoring and scoring all the time.

But I really liked the goal today, Rashford really attacked the open space since Ronaldo and Cavani were on the left, and these things can be worked out and improved upon with time and will to improve.

Ladron de redcafe

You seriously need time out from this thread, we won important game and he play his part on winner.
So enjoy, not right game to criticizing him.
Pointing out that Martial and not Ronaldo didn't play the pass that released Cavani isn't criticism :lol:

As far as your point goes, take your own advice. Feel free to contribute, or go elsewhere and celebrate.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
XGs do. And they indicate that he's had plenty of chances but that he's underperforming in terms of finishing.
It's the most accurate stat there is to describe goalscoring chances and it flies in the face of what you just said.
xG for a single player over half a season is likely to be quite noisy. Talk about 'underperformance' from such a number has very little worth.

In fact, I just went and checked. Ronaldo has 6 non-penalty goals and an NPxG of 8.75. That would be an 'underperformance' of 2.75.

However, I can calculate the difference between NPxG and NPG for the top 10 goalscorers in the league. And if I get the standard deviation of that difference, it is... 2.76. The same number.

You cannot make any kind of narrative around this. It is unsound.

Greck

There was only one key pass in the winner. That was Cavani's. The preassist from Martial that released him wasn't a key pass either.
his finishing has been a bit underwhelming but this kind of thing is why these stats aren't as advanced as people describe. Let's look at Ronaldo's contributions that gets overlooked (i) pressured West ham defender to play a rushed diagonal to a man that was heavily marked, (ii) receives the ball and releases it to Cavani but not before drawing 2 West ham defenders giving Martial and Cavani the numbers advantage at the edge of the box (you didn't think it was luck coincidence we just had 2 open players in that position).

But stats give Cavani more credit for playing a low cross square pass. Sorry if all they do is describe the final moments before the goal then it just tells us not to give them the final say.

steffyr2

Tell me how you think the ball got to Cavani. Next, tell me where in that play the "key pass" was. I'm waiting.
I saw Bruno* pass to Ronaldo who passed to Martial who passed to Cavani who passed to Rashford who scored. Cavani gets the assist. They're all key passes in that goal happening.
Did that take too long?
*still can't swear that was Bruno

Ixion

I saw Bruno* pass to Ronaldo who passed to Martial who passed to Cavani who passed to Rashford who scored. Cavani gets the assist. They're all key passes in that goal happening.
Did that take too long?
Yeah of course Rashford gets the goal and Cavani gets the assist but the two of them plus Ronaldo and Martial all did well for the goal. It was a nice team goal.

Ladron de redcafe

Did that take too long?
They're not all key passes :lol: Now, why did you ask whether the ball "levitated" to Cavani's foot when Martial played the pass?

steffyr2

Yeah of course Rashford gets the goal and Cavani gets the assist but the two of them plus Ronaldo and Martial all did well for the goal. It was a nice team goal.
Yes, what we need to see more of.

Viral United

Pointing out that Martial and not Ronaldo didn't play the pass that released Cavani isn't criticism :lol:

As far as your point goes, take your own advice. Feel free to contribute, or go elsewhere and celebrate.
I didn't taking about who goal score or who got assist, it was general point after reading so many your posts after game we won.
It's look like you have some serious hate toward him.

bakalhau

his finishing has been a bit underwhelming but this kind of thing is why these stats aren't as advanced as people describe. Let's look at Ronaldo's contributions that gets overlooked (i) pressured West ham defender to play a rushed diagonal to a man that was heavily marked, (ii) receives the ball and releases it to Cavani but not before drawing 2 West ham defenders giving Martial and Cavani the numbers advantage at the edge of the box (you didn't think it was luck coincidence we just had 2 open players in that position).

But stats give Cavani more credit for playing a low cross square pass. Sorry if all they do is describe the final moments before the goal then it just tells us not to give them the final say.
Everyone did very well on the goal. We just need to do more of this stuff, and players need to have confidence to believe that they have quality to play like this.

Ladron de redcafe

I didn't taking about who goal score or who got assist, it was general point after reading so many your posts after game we won.
It's look like you have some serious hate toward him.
You seem too invested in what a poster has to say. Make your own point, if you have one. Otherwise, take your own advice, because this isn't useful and has nothing to do with Ronaldo's performances, which is what this thread is about.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It would be so much nicer if he contributes to the overall build up play all through the game instead of rushing the box and throwing his arms out when teammates don’t gift him gilt edged scoring opportunities.

As soon as he comes deeper, links up play and sets runners through in the second half, our attack clicks into gear:

Ixion

Two players swarmed on Ronaldo and tried to make sliding challenges just before he passed it to Martial, them committing to Ronaldo opened up space for Cavani/Martial so perhaps just his reputation helped.

steffyr2

That isn't the definition of a key pass.
That's why analysis of anything requires more than reading numbers on a stat sheet. Watching the play today would show that there wasn't one key pass, but several. It was a great team goal, not one player's "key pass".
Not saying that Cavani's part wasn't critical. I don't think it would have happened if he wasn't there.

Ladron de redcafe

Literally he get a life mate. Seriously I've never seen a poster so hell bent on a crusade.
Lashing out doesn't constitute a discussion of Ronaldo's performances. If you have anything to contribute regarding his performances, do that. No need to get emotional.

United in sin

Greenwood FFS. Everyone complains about his selfishness (and that has to improve) but the lad has always been a striker. We have wasted his career so far with him consistently being played everywhere but the position that he showed mercurial talent in in his whole youth career.

Anyone who says it would be a disaster clearly felt the same when we sold RVN or Hughes, Ince and Kanchelkis.

It's simply about time we started taking risks as a club again, like we used to.

For example Diallo should have a squad place ahead of Lingard, Hannibal instead of Mata. This should have happened last year FFS. Think of the wages we would have saved.

Like DVB in midfield, no one can say for sure Mason wouldn't work, up front, because we have simply never tried it. Imagine if Klopp had simply bought a proven RB instead of giving TAA a chance.
Great post. I'm totally on board with Greenwood being developed in that role. It's his time to shine and we're still dreaming about signing Raiola clients while having our current attacking set up centered around a 37 year old on the way out

Viral United

You seem too invested in what a poster has to say. Make your own point, if you have one. Otherwise, take your own advice, because this isn't useful and has nothing to do with Ronaldo's performances, which is what this thread is about.
I already made my point in first post.
1) He did good work on goal,
2) You need to cool down.
Its you making fight to everyone who is not agreeing to you.
This is my last post in this topic, so carry on with your arguments.

Ladron de redcafe

That's why analysis of anything requires more than reading numbers on a stat sheet. Watching the play today would show that there wasn't one key pass, but several. It was a great team goal, not one player's "key pass".
Not saying that Cavani's part wasn't critical. I don't think it would have happened if he wasn't there.
Again, they are not key passes. They're important passes. There's a distinction.

I don't disagree that focusing on statistics might not be the best way to analyze a football match because the impact of some players is ignored. But just wanted to clarify that there was technically only one key pass there.

From Luckhurst and The Athletic's post match reports:

"Ronaldo in that pocket is killing us again," said one of the West Ham analysts. He was there for the winner, freeing Martial and Cavani on the left and Rashford on the right.
The West Ham coaching staff paced the sideline, trying in vain to plot a path to stop Ronaldo finding spaces between the lines. "He's destroying us with those drop-offs, the positions he's taking up are brilliant" lamented one staff member.

steffyr2

Again, they are not key passes. They're important passes. There's a distinction.

I don't disagree that focusing on statistics might not be the best way to analyze a football match because the impact of some players is ignored. But just wanted to clarify that there was technically only one key pass there.
Nope. There were 4 key passes (Bruno to Ronaldo, Ronaldo to Martial, Martial to Cavani, and Cavani to Rashford). Perhaps you mean there is only one "Key Pass" as defined by someone somewhere in their statistical analysis.
But glad you agree that that's not the way to analyze a football match. Wish people would remember that.

Ladron de redcafe

Nope. There were 4 key passes (Bruno to Ronaldo, Ronaldo to Martial, Martial to Cavani, and Cavani to Rashford). Perhaps you mean there is only one "Key Pass" as defined by someone somewhere in their statistical analysis.
But glad you agree that that's not the way to analyze a football match. Wish people would remember that.
Well we are obviously going by the actual definition of a key pass rather than your personal definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.