5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

I am not talking about this season. I am talking about the next one. The new manager shouldn't be sadled with the idea that Ronnie must always play. He should be given the freedom and authority to make that decision himself, free of any pressure. That can only be achieved if Ronaldo's expectations are managed.
This is of utmost importance. He has to come off the idea he will be anything resembling a centerpiece to this team. People make it sound like the reason he plays every minute isn't the manager having to pander to him. In that period where we crashed out of the FA cup and top 4 we basically just lived and died by him. Ralf barely shuffled the central striker and when he did Ronaldo threw a tantrum. Even our subs are affected because our little bit of attacking depth is in the one position that can't be subbed. I actually liked his LW performance against Atheltico but I'm not holding my breath he is now content with being moved wide, being subbed or being rotated.

Look at Milan since Zlatan’s return, having proper winners around your club is always a good thing. No surprise our most successful post-SAF season was with him the side.
Ronaldo needs to be rested more for sure, but no one in their right mind can watch how this team surrender possession so easily and get annihilated by City without Ronaldo, and conclude Ronaldo is on of the main problems at this club.
As always though, our fans convince themselves we’re just a Haaland or Rice away, we aren’t.

Marwood

Yeah! That's exactly what I said and meant. Really?

The Cavani signing was different because the youngsters would still get plenty of minutes in the #9 position and he would not block an eventual top striker from coming here in a later window. Signing Ronaldo meant our up and coming attackers wouldn't get a sniff of minutes in that position and itr would block an eventual signing of a new young top striker as long as he is here, so yeah, there is a huge defference between the two signings. You can choose to look at it any way you want though, that's entirely up to you.

I haven't blaimed Ronaldo for anything either, I'm blaiming the people who signed him and decided to play him 90 minutes every week.

When we signed Ronaldo we had Greenwood, Cavani, Martial and Rashford to share minutes in the #9 position untill the right longterm striker became available.
Now Rashford has fallen off a cliff, Martial is off on loan to get more minutes and Cavani is unhappy with the situation (Greenwood can only blaim himself), while our sportsproject is coming crashing down in all tournaments.

Ronaldo is still a very good goalscorer and is still among the best in the business when it comes to positional awareness, making offensive runs and understanding what spaces to occupy to be available for service. The rest of his game, his defensive contribution (and as sick as it may sound, his finishing this season) is what makes our team bleed with him unfortunately. The rewards of his upsides does not trump the cost of his downsides and that will cost us till he's gone or fixes the weaknesses in his game. We have seen glimpses in some games, but not nearly enough.That simple really.
You're building up a huge collection of consequences that apparently are caused by Ronaldo being here.

In just the above post Ronaldo is:

Stopping young strikers getting mins(who?)

Stopping us signing a long term striker

He's upsetting Cavani

He's upsetting Rashford

He's caused Martial to leave

He's central to our "sports project crashing down"

I mean, what would it be like if you were really criticising Ronaldo?

Ronaldo143

Ronaldo got talent in single finger than all our players combined. End of story! There is a reason we haven’t won trophies since years. If any of these bums got problem with Ronaldo they can leave. It’s not like they won anything anyway.

bakalhau

He's not a quitter. I won't really be surprised he wants to stay even without CL.

Rojow

Who knows. He literally left Juve at the last day of transfer window.

Gottabekiddingme

Who knows. He literally left Juve at the last day of transfer window.
Yup. Ronaldo is waiting on market opportunities (which I don't think will come) while keeping United fans happy. He did the same with Juventus.

Let's say Bayern loses Lewandowski and they can't bring someone for their near future ambitions... Ronaldo's agent will offer him on lower wages for a one year deal I imagine.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

JB7

Article that does a statistical deep dive into value of Ronaldo:

https://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/...ited-portugal-benefit-today-version-superstar

Not saying I agree with it, just saying it’s food for thought.
It's a ridiculous article based upon set of statistics that aren't entirely relevant to anything used to showcase an argument that they had already decided upon prior to writing the article. It's actually so poor that it wouldn't be a shock if they wrote an article tomorrow making the exact opposite argument and using a different set of statistics to do back it up. The amount of contextual factors completely ignored is frankly astonishing and the article peaks when it states that Ederson (a fecking goalkeeper) is the 4th best attacking player in the world.

DSG

It's a ridiculous article based upon set of statistics that aren't entirely relevant to anything used to showcase an argument that they had already decided upon prior to writing the article. It's actually so poor that it wouldn't be a shock if they wrote an article tomorrow making the exact opposite argument and using a different set of statistics to do back it up. The amount of contextual factors completely ignored is frankly astonishing and the article peaks when it states that Ederson (a fecking goalkeeper) is the 4th best attacking player in the world.
I mostly agree with you. He has changed as a player since Real, he is much more dependent on others for service. Having Messi in the top 10 this season is criminal, just ask any PSG fan, and the Ederson thing is just garbage.

bakalhau

He's looking very sharp with his feet today so far. Last 3/4 games he's looking much sharper than that 2 month period at the start of the year.

MattofManchester

Watching the highlights for Portugal. Rather interesting that he passed it to Bruno for that first goal.
Before it, you'd have bet 10 times out of 10 he's taking that on himself instead.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Portugal Before Ronaldo

3 World Cup appearances 1 semi final
3 Euro appearances 1 semi final
0 trophies

With Ronaldo
5 World Cup appearances 1 semi final
5 Euro appearances 2 finals (1win) and 1 semi final
Nations league win
2 Major trophies

His impact on a nation that quite frankly was “nothing” in the footballing sense before him is astonishing.

His legacy in the game is incredible.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Portugal Before Ronaldo

3 World Cup appearances 1 semi final
3 Euro appearances 1 semi final
0 trophies

With Ronaldo
5 World Cup appearances 1 semi final
5 Euro appearances 2 finals (1win) and 1 semi final
Nations league win
2 Major trophies

His impact on a nation that quite frankly was “nothing” in the footballing sense before him is astonishing.

His legacy in the game is incredible.
Euro Championships only had 4 teams till 1980 and only had 8 until 1996, so you had 5 ECs with 4 teams and 4 ECs with 8 teams.. Ronaldo played at a time where the no of teams were increased to 16 first and then to 24, joining EC is nothing special when half the nations in Europe are making it nowadays.. Even an average team like Turkey had joined 4 out of the last 6 ECs. Also with the old rules valid till 2016, Portugal would not even go beyond their group stage let alone play the final as they finished third.. The same with WC, when only 16 teams could join till 1978 and 24 in 1982 and 32 in 1998.

With similar limitations and rules, he would miss many tournaments like previous Portuguese teams and there would be no EC trophy.

Also, you are heavily discounting the effect of the golden generation of Portugal Figo, Rui Costa, Joao Pinto etc. who won Fifa U-20 WC twice in 1989, 1991.. Those guys were the major reasons behind Portugal success in 1998, 2004 and 2006.

SportingCP96

Supports
Euro Championships only had 4 teams till 1980 and only had 8 until 1996, so you had 5 ECs with 4 teams and 4 ECs with 8 teams.. Ronaldo played at a time where the no of teams were increased to 16 first and then to 24, joining EC is nothing special when half the nations in Europe are making it nowadays.. Even an average team like Turkey had joined 4 out of the last 6 ECs. Also with the old rules valid till 2016, Portugal would not even go beyond their group stage let alone play the final as they finished third.. The same with WC, when only 16 teams could join till 1978 and 24 in 1982 and 32 in 1998.

With similar limitations and rules, he would miss many tournaments like previous Portuguese teams and there would be no EC trophy.

Also, you are heavily discounting the effect of the golden generation of Portugal Figo, Rui Costa, Joao Pinto etc. who won Fifa U-20 WC twice in 1989, 1991.. Those guys were the major reasons behind Portugal success in 1998, 2004 and 2006.
Jesus Christ are you on every thread trying to discount Ronaldo? Ronaldo was a key player in 2004 scoring key goals, so much so that he started the final….. In 06 he was also an integral part of the teams success.

Lowkey think your trying to convince yourself rather then everyone else.

Also the reason people don’t take the Copa America seriously just take a look at the qualifying for the World Cup and how much better the traditional two are to everyone else.

That’s the last I even reply on here because this is not the Ronaldo vs Messi thread and I don’t quite feel like having the same redundant debate every day. I truly don’t know how you spend all day on the thread debating this.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Jesus Christ are you on every thread trying to discount Ronaldo? Ronaldo was a key player in 2004 scoring key goals, so much so that he started the final….. In 06 he was also an integral part of the teams success.

Lowkey think your trying to convince yourself rather then everyone else.

Also the reason people don’t take the Copa America seriously just take a look at the qualifying for the World Cup and how much better the traditional two are to everyone else.

That’s the last I even reply on here because this is not the Ronaldo vs Messi thread and I don’t quite feel like having the same redundant debate every day. I truly don’t know how you spend all day on the thread debating this.
I have no idea why you mention Messi and Copa here, my post was about explaining how easier it became for teams to join ECs and WCs over time with the changes in the format, number of teams etc. that benefited Portugal like many others even average ones like Turkey in the last 20-25 years and that Portugal had well known stars like Figo, Rui Costa during that time..

SportingCP96

Supports
I have no idea why you mention Messi and Copa here, my post was about explaining how easier it became for teams to join ECs and WCs over time with the changes in the format, number of teams etc. that benefited Portugal like many others even average ones like Turkey in the last 20-25 years and that Portugal had well known stars like Figo, Rui Costa during that time..
No per usual you were trying to diminish his achievements saying

“2016 they wouldn’t make the finals with old rules”

You don’t think teams knowing that third place goes through affected their mindset of how they played? If it was still only 2 teams they would most likely go through anyways.

“He would miss many world cups and euros” (you don’t know this)

And then saying the golden generation was a main reason for his success when in 04 that was the end/decline of said golden generation and he was one of the most key players in that finals run.

What Ronaldo has done and the success he has had with such a small nation in Portugal and especially with many weak teams during his prime is something not many have done.

Especially looking back at his teams from 2008-2014 were very weak apart from Nani and Moutinho to help him.

Goodnight bud, take a break.

genardk

Supports
Juventus

You don’t think teams knowing that third place goes through affected their mindset of how they played? If it was still only 2 teams they would most likely go through anyways.

And then saying the golden generation was a main reason for his success when in 04 that was the end/decline of said golden generation and he was one of the most key players in that finals run.

What Ronaldo has done and the success he has had with such a small nation in Portugal and especially with many weak teams during his prime is something not many have done.

Especially looking back at his teams from 2008-2014 were very weak apart from Nani and Moutinho to help him.

lots of mental gymnastics..

You can discount the effect of other players acting as if they do not exist, completely ignore how much easier it is to join tournaments nowadays making statements like "His impact on a nation that quite frankly was “nothing” in the footballing sense before him is astonishing." which most football fans would just find funny.. especially when Pepe was the best player for Portugal in 2016, he did not even play in the final game & that "weak" team won the EC final without him and Figo & Rui Costa were the major contributors for Portugal in 2004. This is the same argument for his CL wins heavily discounting the effect of other top Real players like Modric, Benzema, Ramos, Marcelo etc.

Figo or Eusebio would probably respond to your post in a similar way seeing how they are ignored and how you ignore the significant changes in competition format (jump from 4 teams EC format in Eusebio times to 24 team format in ECs or from 16-team format to 32-team format in WCs) to hype up Ronaldo.. unfair to those guys & old Portuguese teams who had to compete for very limited number of spots in major tournaments especially when Ronaldo's Portugal frequently had to take advantage of the play-offs even during these significant expansion times. Those guys unfortunately did not have the same opportunities available to current NTs to join international tournaments.

good night, we'll have to agree to disagree as usual..

Last edited:

Jackal981

Just chill man he's just butthurt Juve fans when Ronaldo left em. Last time I heard Juve was on top of Serie A with 20 points margin and still competing for quadruple after Ronaldo left right ? Ronaldo was holding them back after all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Glad Portugal finally qualify for WC, and that would be his last chance in WC for sure.

After that, I am not sure what is he going to play for. Sure at this age he is not going to win another Ballon D’or, and I don’t see him winning another CL either with any potential club who would sign him. Plus there isn’t any other big records left for him to go for anyway, he already broke them all - most career goal, most international goal, most CL goal.

Unless he wants to play for another 5-6 years in lesser league (Portugal or France etc) and going for 1000 goals milestone, that would be something no one has ever done.

SportingCP96

Supports
Glad Portugal finally qualify for WC, and that would be his last chance in WC for sure.

After that, I am not sure what is he going to play for. Sure at this age he is not going to win another Ballon D’or, and I don’t see him winning another CL either with any potential club who would sign him. Plus there isn’t any other big records left for him to go for anyway, he already broke them all - most career goal, most international goal, most CL goal.

Unless he wants to play for another 5-6 years in lesser league (Portugal or France etc) and going for 1000 goals milestone, that would be something no one has ever done.
Think he will be chasing those 1000 goals to be honest. 1000 goals would be something that might never be touched if he reaches it.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Just chill man he's just butthurt Juve fans when Ronaldo left em. Last time I heard Juve was on top of Serie A with 20 points margin and still competing for quadruple after Ronaldo left right ? Ronaldo was holding them back after all.
Guy is actually right.

Its true that Portugal didn't have the best record in qualifiers before Ronaldo appeared, but to say they were nothing as if they were Iceland or Iran before Ronaldo, it's disrespectful.

Portugal had 1 semis in WC and 2 semis in the Euro.

Plus the old format of the Euro only allowed 4-8 teams in, that changed in 1996, therefore it was harder to qualify.
Not to mention the groups were more difficult than nowadays, as teams with piss poor level like Slovenia, Moldova, Latvia, Belarus, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovakia, Macedonia,etc didn't exist in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Everything has to be taken in the right context, otherwise it's just mere numbers.

Last edited:

antsmithmk

Hates women.
2 hard games for Portugal... Didn't fancy it today against the more recent Premier Division winners.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don't think Ronaldo is ill or injured. I think they say that when he's not going to get a game to save him embarrassment.

Ralph1386

I don't think Ronaldo is ill or injured. I think they say that when he's not going to get a game to save him embarrassment.
Or maybe when he’s being rested because at his age he rightfully shouldn’t be playing every single game.

Deery

Dreary
Second time he’s done it now, think it’s pretty clear he treats the club with contempt and decides when he plays or rests, doesn’t turn up on match days or storms off down the tunnel. Great player but don’t think he wants to be here..

MrEleson

Ronaldo is probably the only player in history who will still receive blame and criticism when he doesn’t play. When he does play, he’s “holding the team back”; when he doesn’t, “he’s missing the match deliberately. The guy simply can’t win under any condition.

bakalhau

Ronaldo is probably the only player in history who will still receive blame and criticism when he doesn’t play. When he does play, he’s “holding the team back”; when he doesn’t, “he’s missing the match deliberately. The guy simply can’t win under any condition.
Hol'on, hol'on, I have a better one! He's blamed for being greedy for wanting to play all the 90 mins, but then he's blamed for deliberately wanting to miss out on playing whenever he sits out :lol:

MrEleson

Hol'on, hol'on, I have a better one! He's blamed for being greedy for wanting to play all the 90 mins, but then he's blamed for deliberately wanting to miss out on playing whenever he sits out :lol:
:lol:It’s ridiculous isn’t it

MrEleson

Manchester United points per game last season: 1.93

Manchester United points per game with Ronaldo this season: 1.96

Status
Not open for further replies.