Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Arnold impressed by being sympathetic to his discontent and let his representatives speak to other clubs. Either those other clubs weren't interested or they were and Arnold is blocking them which surely wouldn't impress so much. That's an article from Ronaldo's camp that basically admits that they couldn't find a buyer.
Yup.

As I said this summer will be a wake-up call to Cristiano. He's put himself out there and the market has responded: No thanks.

Very silly of Cristiano to let his discontent show without firm commitment from Bayern or Chelsea to make a bid. Now Mendes is having to spin the situation to make it seem like Ronaldo is choosing to stay.

Sadly, for everyone, you're no longer a 60 goal a year forward Ronnie. Clubs aren't going to be breaking down the door for 24 goals a season at the cost of £400/500k a week. They got other options.

Hope he comes back pissed off and desperate to prove he would have been worth the money. Angry, wanna prove something Ronaldo is generally the best Ronaldo. Since we're stuck with him we have to hope we get his A game.

K Stand Knut

Yup.

As I said this summer will be a wake-up call to Cristiano. He's put himself out there and the market has responded: No thanks.

Very silly of Cristiano to let his discontent show without firm commitment from Bayern or Chelsea to make a bid. Now Mendes is having to spin the situation to make it seem like Ronaldo is choosing to stay.

Sadly, for everyone, you're no longer a 60 goal a year forward Ronnie. Clubs aren't going to be breaking down the door for 24 goals a season at the cost of £400/500k a week. They got other options.

Hope he comes back pissed off and desperate to prove he would have been worth the money. Angry, wanna prove something Ronaldo is generally the best Ronaldo. Since we're stuck with him we have to hope we get his A game.
I disagree.

We need to make sure that ETH and his set-up/tactics get the ball to Ronaldo in the right place.

IF we can create a system/set-up that allows Ronaldo to just be in the box at the right time, it COULD be sensational.

Plus, in theory, we should breeze through the EL group stages so he can just play the league games.

Ronaldo playing One game a week is miles better than him playing every minute of every game

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Maybe you should tell ETH that because according to Castles, who we know is reliable for Mendes stuff, and ETH himself, Ronaldo is a key part of his plans.

The utter state of this thread. Its embarrassing. He’s our top scorer. Its NOT good if he leaves especially considering the market for a 20+ goal striker right now is drier than the sahara desert. Top players tend to want to leave when the situation looks bad. Rooney did it too. It happens. He should have handled it differently though, absolutely. But he’s human. Maybe initially he thought he’d stay but then when he had more time to reflect he changed his mind + club wasn’t showing as much pull in the market as he and we wouldve hoped. How many times have you perfect humans made a decision and then changed your mind about it?

He’s our top scorer. It is in the best interests of ManUtd if he stays another year.
I've acknowledged his goals. That would be the problem with him leaving. When ETH was asked about what Ronaldo would bring, he said goals. Not that he'd fit his team well tactically or anything like that. I bet ETH would be perfectly happy to sell him and bring in Antony. He'll hope the goals come from the collective, which is something that struggled with Ronaldo last season. Even though he scored the most goals.

EtH

Actually I still remember clearly his link up play has been head and shoulder above our other forwards last season. Believe or not, I was actually more impressed with his link up play at times rather than his finishing.
Another unsurprisingly ridiculous take. His linkup play was even poorer than his pressing. Sure there were one or two matches in which he was arsed and able to run around a bit. But there wasn’t one where he actually linked and progressed play significantly. In fact he was pretty much a ghost in possession if he wasn’t scoring.

pocco

loco
Let's face it, if Ronaldo wasn't just about goals these days then another club would have jumped at the chance to sign him. These modern football clubs like Bayern and Chelsea want to press and want high energy. There is a reason they said no. And it is these same reasons why he is a problem for us, especially under ETH.

EtH

Mendes should get in touch with Michael Owen’s people.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Seems he's running his options are fading for a move. How will he survive the shame, the poor petal?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Let's face it, if Ronaldo wasn't just about goals these days then another club would have jumped at the chance to sign him. These modern football clubs like Bayern and Chelsea want to press and want high energy. There is a reason they said no. And it is these same reasons why he is a problem for us, especially under ETH.
Absolutely

If he is to play his time should be limited on the pitch for every game and even rested for games. He's still a top poacher/finisher to have in the squad. The problem is will his ego accept what his body doesn't.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It was definitely not better than Sancho who had the 2nd most key passes on the team, and he isn't a player who'll try a lot of high-risk passes so most of his key passes come from his link-up play.
Maybe not same as Sancho, but as CF his link up play has the best we’ve got last season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Another unsurprisingly ridiculous take. His linkup play was even poorer than his pressing. Sure there were one or two matches in which he was arsed and able to run around a bit. But there wasn’t one where he actually linked and progressed play significantly. In fact he was pretty much a ghost in possession if he wasn’t scoring.
I am not talking about total numbers of pass you could read directly from stats graph. I am talking about quality in linking up play up front. He is surely at times being top notch for us on that, doing some constructive link up or inviting our other players to attack, despite our very poor overall team play. I could even remember clearly there was one game he did like 80 pass with very high completion rate, and create a few chances for us. And they there was another game he link up very well with Cavani and Bruno back in early season.

EtH

I am not talking about total numbers of pass you could read directly from stats graph. I am talking about quality in linking up play up front. He is surely at times being top notch for us on that, doing some constructive link up or inviting our other players to attack, despite our very poor overall team play. I could even remember clearly there was one game he did like 80 pass with very high completion rate, and create a few chances for us. And they there was another game he link up very well with Cavani and Bruno back in early season.
Mate once again you’re talking absolute bollocks. His linkup play was piss poor. More like non-existent. And I doubt he came anywhere near 80 touches in any match last season, never mind this supposed KdB impression you claim you saw. Which no one else did. Because it didn’t happen.

Ladron de redcafe

What quality of linkup play. He couldn't hold up the ball, could barely be bothered to try set up attacks for other players, and was generally anonymous in most games.

GreatDane

I disagree.

We need to make sure that ETH and his set-up/tactics get the ball to Ronaldo in the right place.

IF we can create a system/set-up that allows Ronaldo to just be in the box at the right time, it COULD be sensational.

Plus, in theory, we should breeze through the EL group stages so he can just play the league games.

Ronaldo playing One game a week is miles better than him playing every minute of every game
Would only work if Ronaldo actually shows up to training and learns the tactics.
If he does that, then sure we have a good finisher.

djembatheking

Pressing isn’t the main issue for me, it’s the fact that he disrupts squad harmony and sulks if he gets substituted or dropped, he expects special treatment.
If a champions league team is a bit desperate late in the window and make a bid for him is he going to leave us strikerless? Surely we need to bring someone in now to hedge our bets.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I disagree.

One of ETH's core principles is that every member of the team cobtributes in both the attacking phase and the defensive phase.
He has said it time and time again since becoming coach. Said it again yesterday.
Ronaldo will have to improve his work rate off the ball. ETH will not sacrifice his principles for Ronaldo. Also, it's a recipe for destroying team morale if you tell the team one player is allowed not to engage defensively.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol::lol::lol: He's eaten humble pie after getting rejected left and right, and he'll come back saying that he was convinced it was the right move to stay.
Yeah but thick cnuts like me will lap it up and be sui'ing about the place when he scores his first goal of the season.

pocco

loco
The one club that I think could possibly have took an interest is Atletico, from a tactical point of view. Their football would probably suit a player that is lethal in the box, but they'd have to surround him with runners. It's just whether he'd have considered going there and if Simeone could accept one player staying further forward and not, at the very least, dropping back to cut off passing options, as he seems unable to even do that these days.

K Stand Knut

Would only work if Ronaldo actually shows up to training and learns the tactics.
If he does that, then sure we have a good finisher.
Yes.

Very valid point. Not sure I like to think of a 37-year old footballer who can’t understand the instruction ‘Get in the penalty area’ without too much thinking

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yes.

Very valid point. Not sure I like to think of a 37-year old footballer who can’t understand the instruction ‘Get in the penalty area’ without too much thinking
So you think his instructions will be as simple as "get in the penalty area"?

K Stand Knut

One of ETH's core principles is that every member of the team cobtributes in both the attacking phase and the defensive phase.
He has said it time and time again since becoming coach. Said it again yesterday.
Ronaldo will have to improve his work rate off the ball. ETH will not sacrifice his principles for Ronaldo. Also, it's a recipe for destroying team morale if you tell the team one player is allowed not to engage defensively.
Again, a fair point but if we are only using him once a week and even then, hypothetically speaking, only for 70 minutes, he’d be able to run himself in to the ground for that amount of time.

I just don’t think he’s a dead horse and will have to be used if he stays.

Telsim

The one club that I think could possibly have took an interest is Atletico, from a tactical point of view. Their football would probably suit a player that is lethal in the box, but they'd have to surround him with runners. It's just whether he'd have considered going there and if Simeone could accept one player staying further forward and not, at the very least, dropping back to cut off passing options, as he seems unable to even do that these days.
Cristiano Ronaldo... to Atletico? Atletico Madrid? :houllier:

mctrials23

I assume by making headway they mean that we have told him we aren't selling and he has a contract. If he wants to buy out that contract or he can find someone willing to give us a transfer fee for him then I will deliver him myself.

GreatDane

Yes.

As been said, I like to think that Ten Hags tactics has a bit more depth than that and Ronaldo needs to learn the new patterns in the attacking phase that are being drilled in right now. He simply can't just do what he himself wants and feel like, even if he's Ronaldo.

I hope that his absent from training is legit and not him sulking, but he needs to train and be part of the team in order to be a succesful member of our new regime.
If he does that then as I said he's still a very good finisher and has his worth.

K Stand Knut

As been said, I like to think that Ten Hags tactics has a bit more depth than that and Ronaldo needs to learn the new patterns in the attacking phase that are being drilled in right now. He simply can't just do what he himself wants and feel like, even if he's Ronaldo.

I hope that his absent from training is legit and not him sulking, but he needs to train and be part of the team in order to be a succesful member of our new regime.
If he does that then as I said he's still a very good finisher and has his worth.
The flip side is that there is still some (not a lot) hope that Rashford and/or Martial might spring in to action and become at least competition for that number 9 spot.

I guess only time will tell but I never for one second felt that Ronaldo was going to leave. Probably not through lack of wanting to or trying to but nobody wants him.

GreatDane

The flip side is that there is still some (not a lot) hope that Rashford and/or Martial might spring in to action and become at least competition for that number 9 spot.

I guess only time will tell but I never for one second felt that Ronaldo was going to leave. Probably not through lack of wanting to or trying to but nobody wants him.
I agree, if either Rashford or Martial has a resurgence as a prolific striker I would be very happy and the club could save a pretty penny.
Wouldn't hold my breath but stranger things has happened.

the_cliff

They have their own issues, they're struggling to register Griezmann I don't think they're in the best position to try and get Ronaldo.

tidraKS

None of the big teams is interested in him. Woodward was so stupid he returned him back.

pocco

loco
They have their own issues, they're struggling to register Griezmann I don't think they're in the best position to try and get Ronaldo.
Oh really? Didn't know they were struggling financially also.

This is part of the problem for Ronaldo, the rest of Europe seems fairly skint apart from PSG & Madrid. The PL is just so wealthy compared to other leagues.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Time for some Conference League club to put in a cheeky bid. Come on, help us out here.

mshnsh

I disagree.

That is the problem with Ronaldo. We simply HAVE TO feed him. This means others sacrificing their game for him. When he was younger and more mobile, it did not matter that the likes of Rooney and Benzema were shackled because of him because of his output. But now he is a liability.

Revaulx

I disagree.

So we’ve brought in an up and coming manager on the strength of his having extremely strong ideas about how the game should be played, and force him to completely abandon those ideas in order to accommodate a 37 year old stopgap striker?

Now this I absolutely agree with; the evidence was there last season when he suddenly started banging them in once we were out of all the cups.

Is he going to accept that though? Perhaps (very much perhaps) his realisation that there aren’t loads of clubs queuing up to sign him will make him realise his limits. Let’s hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.