Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorio

My biggest concern if he stays is squad harmony. ETH has said he has certain demands every player has to meet on the pitch, and I feel if Ronaldo doesn't meet those, he'll be benched.

However, we did seem to have a harmonious squad before Ronaldo returned, and it looks a really harmonious squad again in his absence. I don't think that's coincidence.

I just hope it doesn't all turn again when he comes back.

Real Name

Its ridiculous though. He went on strike and if he doesnt find a club and it seems Mendes is begging clubs left, right and centre to take him he'll just what, join the team like nothing happened.

bringbackbebe

Its ridiculous though. He went on strike and if he doesnt find a club and it seems Mendes is begging clubs left, right and centre to take him he'll just what, join the team like nothing happened.
For all you know, he might not be vaccinated yet to get an entry into Aus and this could be a ruse to deflect attention off that

mshnsh

This is untrue ... Ronaldo was sold because he asked for a salary increase AND that we pay the taxes that he owed (not our problem) AND accused Papa Flo of not defending him enough in the press, especially when there was talk of Luka winning Ballon D'Or. There was also a matter of Juve paying us 100 million Euros for a 33 year old that could be reinvested.
Luka Modric only became a favourite to win the ballon dor AFTER the world cup and neither had it anything to do with the tax situation; that was concluded in 2019.
He simply wanted a pay rise which Real were not happy to give; given his gigantic ego, this made him not feel valued enough by Real and so he left.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Been casually lurking on the Caf for the past few weeks and keep noticing this thread being one of the most active. Does that mean that Ronaldo is still not back for training?? What's the issue here?
No he’s not come back for any team training. He’s been training alone in Portugal

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Despite all the talking if Robaldo's mentality he's the worst player to keep against his wishes. He's the most narcissistic and petulant player I've ever seen. If he stays, he'll sulk, throw hissy fits and make sure it's all about his unhappiness. One of the greatest ever in his prime, but there is no value in keeping him against his wishes when he's 37.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
so, if they don't reach an agreement with another club, we must wait for his wishes until September 1? This saga must end sooner rather than later.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Despite all the talking if Robaldo's mentality he's the worst player to keep against his wishes. He's the most narcissistic and petulant player I've ever seen. If he stays, he'll sulk, throw hissy fits and make sure it's all about his unhappiness. One of the greatest ever in his prime, but there is no value in keeping him against his wishes when he's 37.
Pretty much the way I see it as well. But what can we do about it?

Gehrman

Pretty much the way I see it as well. But what can we do about it?
Sell him, but of course if no one wants him and we don't want to pay 50% of his salary and all that, then I guess we have to keep him.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Sell him, but of course if no one wants him and we don't want to pay 50% of his salary and all that, then I guess we have to keep him.
Yeah exactly, it doesn't really look like someone is willing to take him (and his wages) on board. Even a mutual cancellation of his contract could be an option, but why would he agree to that?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
You’re totally right but the funniest thing at the moment is that nobody even wants him. At least not the clubs he’d like to play for. There have been zero bids to even consider let alone reject or negotiate them. :lol:

There’s only the Saudi offer that came in and he’s obviously not taking that because the whole point of him wanting to leave united is to play for a club fighting for top honours and ensure CL games for him. None of which will be possible in the desert. :lol:

This is literally becoming a joke now and there will be loads of memes come September if he’s still here and nobody ended up wanting him.

Gehrman

You’re totally right but the funniest thing at the moment is that nobody even wants him. At least not the clubs he’d like to play for. There have been zero bids to even consider let alone reject or negotiate them. :lol:

There’s only the Saudi offer that came in and he’s obviously not taking that because the whole point of him wanting to leave united is to play for a club fighting for top honours and ensure CL games for him. None of which will be possible in the desert. :lol:

This is literally becoming a joke now and there will be loads of memes come September if he’s still here and nobody ended up wanting him.
Still early days. Lots of stuff happens if last days of the window. Can't see why Bayern won't take him for 1 year.

GoldanoGraham

I just don’t see his pride allowing him to come back now - although the he must be bending Mendes ear constantly to get him a move…..not quite the demand he was expecting eh Ronnie?

Big Andy

Bloke
He's got to realise that at 37 years old, he might not actually be able to play in the Champions LEague anymore. No big team is going to take him on a short term 1 year deal except for us. If he didn't want to play in the Europa League then maybe he should've bothered his arse in the league a bit more than he did.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Still early days. Lots of stuff happens if last days of the window. Can't see why Bayern won't take him for 1 year.
I don’t think he’d risk a 1 year contract. As much as it’s about records it’s also about money to a certain extent. At united he can technically stay 2 more seasons in the best case scenario.
What if nobody wants him after a season at Bayern? It’d be even more embarrassing then the current fiasco.
Even ETH mentioned in his presser that Ronaldo may even be here beyond next season. Who knows?
Whatever package Ronaldo goes with in the coming season, has to make sense to him in all aspects.

Josh 76

I don’t think he’d risk a 1 year contract. As much as it’s about records it’s also about money to a certain extent. At united he can technically stay 2 more seasons in the best case scenario.
What if nobody wants him after a season at Bayern? It’d be even more embarrassing then the current fiasco.
Even ETH mentioned in his presser that Ronaldo may even be here beyond next season. Who knows?
Whatever package Ronaldo goes with in the coming season, has to make sense to him in all aspects.
He will always be wanted in the US or UAE.

Gehrman

I don't think he has confident in the new project. He doesn't want to part of a rebuild. He wants the to the main striker in one of the best teams in the world. At bayern he'd win the title, probably score quite a lot despite his age, have as good a chance at the CL as at any team. For me it makes sense to Bayern and to Ronaldo, but perhaps taking oldies on massive wages isn't the bayern way.

doomy20

Chosing between Ronaldo and Martial at this point is like chosing which one of your own sisters to bang.
Both choices are wrong, but you kinda feel like Martial at least would be happy to be asked.
hehe true. But at this point i just want our 9 to score as many as possible. Without Ronaldo (and no new signing on that position) we are clearly behind at least 5-6 teams in terms of having a clinical striker up front.

Gehrman

Chosing between Ronaldo and Martial at this point is like chosing which one of your own sisters to bang.
Both choices are wrong, but you kinda feel like Martial at least would be happy to be asked.
Has that been a frequent dilemma for you?

MrEleson

He's got to realise that at 37 years old, he might not actually be able to play in the Champions LEague anymore. No big team is going to take him on a short term 1 year deal except for us. If he didn't want to play in the Europa League then maybe he should've bothered his arse in the league a bit more than he did.
3rd topscorer in the league in a dysfunctional side. Bit of a weird stick to beat with with.
And you’re seeming to suggest that if Ronaldo had been more “arsed” in the league we would have finished in the top 4 which is foolish as if he’s responsible for Maguire’s feckups or the team generally being sh1t.

Glorio

It's a good point actually, this won't be us holding him against his will if it comes to it, it will be us giving him a lifeline. Whether that affects his behaviour would be interesting to observe.

I just prefer he leaves with all the drama and we get someone else with much less noise that would get his head down, work, and not upset squad harmony or the style of play. Even if we get someone on loan, considering decent options seem to be scarce.

K Stand Knut

Anyone with any ambition of Ronaldo leaving this summer really needs to take a deep breath and move on.

I just don’t see how it happens. Nobody is stupid enough to pay us a fee, which we will rightly ask for, on top of his astronomical wages

He’s here for the next season at least.

In an ideal world, I’d make him stay; not play him and activate the additional year on his contract and then don’t play him again if we get in the CL

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I don't think he has confident in the new project. He doesn't want to part of a rebuild. He wants the to the main striker in one of the best teams in the world. At bayern he'd win the title, probably score quite a lot despite his age, have as good a chance at the CL as at any team. For me it makes sense to Bayern and to Ronaldo, but perhaps taking oldies on massive wages isn't the bayern way.
Yes but you’re again assuming he’s wanted by Bayern or even other teams. I just don’t see it happening.

He was presumably under the impression last season that he could easily leave come the summer and there’d be an active demand for him. However now he’s aware that that’s really not the case and no one wants him anymore. So if he stays another season he’ll be aware that sulking and whining will only make his future worse and he’ll try his best to again remind teams of his worth incase he wants to leave next summer, when there may be a slot available for him in teams that currently don’t have space for him.

As far as us United fans go, or for me personally, I’m the type of guy who always contextualizes how worse a situation could be and I’d rather keep this narcissistic prick for another season if need be. He’s still better than having a player like Lukaku or Nunez. The formal just played for a top 4 team last season and the latter just signed on for a top 4 team. I may be wrong about Nunez but currently I don’t see him being any better. Maybe under Klopp he may improve but so could Ronaldo under ETH.

At the moment, there is a blatant shortage of strikers in the market who are worth chasing and would be available at a decent attainable price. I don’t agree with buying up and coming strikers to replace Ronaldo with who may not even survive in the PL and hence cost us a good finish. I’d rather hold on to Ronaldo for another season and then wait for Strikers like Kane or Martinez who will be attainable next summer and also a more reliable option than some young nobody.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
It's a good point actually, this won't be us holding him against his will if it comes to it, it will be us giving him a lifeline. Whether that affects his behaviour would be interesting to observe.

I just prefer he leaves with all the drama and we get someone else with much less noise that would get his head down, work, and not upset squad harmony or the style of play. Even if we get someone on loan, considering decent options seem to be scarce.
Referring to the bolded part, I actually don’t think Ronaldo can afford to cause such disturbances anymore.

He’s gotten a solid reality check and if his ambitions are anything to go by, and he wants to continue playing in Europe and chase records, then he’ll have to succumb to rules and demands of our new manager and club or he’ll be seeing a lot more of the bench then he did last season.

Big Andy

Bloke
3rd topscorer in the league in a dysfunctional side. Bit of a weird stick to beat with with.
And you’re seeming to suggest that if Ronaldo had been more “arsed” in the league we would have finished in the top 4 which is foolish as if he’s responsible for Maguire’s feckups or the team generally being sh1t.
Of his 18 league goals last season, 10 of them came in 4 games

2 vs Newcastle on his debut
3 vs Spurs
3 vs Norwich
2 vs Arsenal

MrEleson

3 vs Spurs
3 vs Norwich
2 vs Arsenal
Every striker scored in bunches. He still scored all of our goals throughout March and April.

Don't Kill Bill

3 vs Spurs
3 vs Norwich
2 vs Arsenal

Intersing,

How many starts did he have and how many of the games he missed did we win?

Genuine questions.

If he was holding us back we would be winning more games and playing better when he was out of the side.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So he's going to miss our entire pre-season, then expect to waltz in as a starter?

mshnsh

Intersing,

How many starts did he have and how many of the games he missed did we win?

Genuine questions.

If he was holding us back we would be winning more games and playing better when he was out of the side.
The stats remind me of his 15/16 season at Madrid. Was terrible most of the season but scored many goals vs few teams (minnows). Essentially his main meaningful contribution was a hattrick vs Wolfsburg in the qf and the goal vs Roma in R16.

In the end, people just looked at the goals scored and than praised him for a great season. Very similar to last season except there was no ucl goalscoring heroics.

Status
Not open for further replies.