Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he can't find a club that works for him, his ego and his CL desperation? And then we just pay him out and release him?

Does he go play for Sporting for 50k week? Just to get a bunch of CL group games under his belt where he may not even score a goal?

Chief123

So this throws the idea that he wants to play every minute of every game out the window.
The Real Madrid fans would be very unforgiving if he chose to go to their fierce rivals. It makes me believe even more so that Ronaldo wouldn’t have hesitated to go to City if Utd didn’t come in for him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The longer this goes on the more likely it feels that "the break" is actually Ronaldo on strike.
Part of me does wonder if there's more to it. I was a bit intrigued by ETHs early words on Ronaldo where he was a bit blunt about what Ronaldo will bring to his team and he said he would talk to Ronaldo and not reporters. My theory is that Ronaldo had various grievances and ETH has told United to just get rid and keep him away until he's gone.

Could be completely wrong but I feel like it suits both parties if he's gone, particularly tactically. I think ETH may have even told Ronaldo he won't be playing every game.

Early reports suggested ETH wanted Antony, then that if Ronaldo us sold then ETH will insist we buy Antony. I can believe that and think it would be the preferred outcome for ETH and what he wants to do.

Basically, I think this might be more of a mutual decision.

DutchCruijff

Anyone who thinks this guy is a United legend needs to give their heads a wobble.

He's an absolute Ape.

He's cost us £1m the past 3 weeks and he's not bothered to turn up.

United return back next week. Will be awful if he's not back.

Atletico seems the only viable link for him now. And they would be desperate to go for him considering the likes of Bayern and PSG have turned him down.

Atletico will win nothing in the UCL and won't get near in La Liga. If I'm Messi, I'm putting in maximum effort to smash his UCL goals tally.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Anyone who thinks this guy is a United legend needs to give their heads a wobble.

He's an absolute Ape.

Atletico seems the only viable link for him now. And they would be desperate to go for him considering the likes of Bayern and PSG have turned him down.

Atletico will win nothing in the UCL and won't get near in La Liga. If I'm Messi, I'm putting in maximum effort to smash his UCL goals tally.
:lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I am not saying he can strike for the season. If he needs a few more weeks this summer to find a new club I would prefer he stayed in Lisbon and the manager can train with the squad that will play next year.
So would I.

But on the other hand, we can't just let a player pick up a huge salary while he's effectively not doing his job.

If Ronaldo is that desperate to leave, he should ask to have his contract terminated. As long as he remains a United player, he has to do his job (he could, of course, be granted a lengthy leave of absence with full pay - but at this stage, nobody would take that as anything but the club bending over for him, and I personally wouldn't like that at all).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thinking back has there ever been a direct, attributable quote from either of them on the subject?
From Ronaldo or Mendes, you mean?

Not as far as I know.

But then again, you wouldn't expect that.

For me, it's pretty obvious that Mendes has indeed been trying to sell him to a small handful of top clubs - it would be extremely surprising if all this was just invented by journos.

For one thing, Ronaldo is obviously aware of the speculation going on at the moment. If he was truly just dealing privately with a family issue, with zero intention of leaving United, he could have killed the whole saga with a single Twitter post (which he actually did when certain journos started speculating about him going to Sporting).

SuperiorXI

Rangnick tried that and he refused according to Simon Stone.
If he won't listen to the manager then it's up to the manager to take him out of the team. ETH needs to show he can handle the big personalities, it's a box that needs ticking to prove he can do the job.

One thing I'll say about Ronaldo, I watched him all last season, a few times live, and he was one of if not the hardest workers multiple times. He still has it in the tank to put the work in. As I said, I want to see what ETH can do with him, I'd prefer he stays for sure. And last season he was phenomenal for us.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

He's an absolute Ape.

I doubt he expects to be winning the CL or even the league if he goes there. Perhaps if he went to Bayern he'd have hope.

I think at this stage he's just looking to cement personal accolades, but I could potentially see how it would suit Atletico tactically and I said this a couple of weeks ago before they were even linked.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
So would I.

But on the other hand, we can't just let a player pick up a huge salary while he's effectively not doing his job.

If Ronaldo is that desperate to leave, he should ask to have his contract terminated. As long as he remains a United player, he has to do his job (he could, of course, be granted a lengthy leave of absence with full pay - but at this stage, nobody would take that as anything but the club bending over for him, and I personally wouldn't like that at all).
Agree about the termination. We could offer that.

Absence with pay would be a terrible financial decision, but at this stage given all the ridiculous contracts we have handed out to player after player... I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Gupz

Looks like the big CL contenders don't want him. And I cannot believe that he rather joins a mediocre team just for the sake of playing some bunch of CL games over his legacy at United.

Lightbringer

If you had promised your son a Ronaldo jersey for his birthday the 25th july, would you still give it to him or would you tell him Ronaldo is desperate to get away from United?

darko

If it's his decision only, don't pay him and fine him. If he wants a transfer out, let him buy his contract out and also the team he will be joining can pay a transfer, otherwise let him rot and keep fining him until he shows up.

darko

If you had promised your son a Ronaldo jersey for his birthday the 25th july, would you still give it to him or would you tell him Ronaldo is desperate to get away from United?
I never buy player's jerseys, no matter what. A number -yes. A name - no unless mine or my kid's last name.

redshaw

He cried on the left, he cried on right.
That boy Ronaldo came back and looked shite.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

He's an absolute Ape.

This isn't true though. He was given permission to take time off by the club due to personal reasons.

Ole'sattheWheel

damn that's a tough one. I'd maybe get it without cr7 on the back and then if he stays, get it printed on at a later date.

Win win. He won't get the initial buzz of ronaldo on the back when opening it, but he'llbe excited when you go to get ronnie printed on later.
If he leaves then you can say "well Son, that's why I never got him on the back"

Castia

I love Ronaldo and if he can score 20 in last seasons crap team then he can hit 30 in a team playing well but he’s doing himself no favours here. It’s one thing to tarnish your reputation playing Europa League but it’s embarrassing begging clubs around Europe to take him.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I still sometimes play the first game of the last season against Newcastle and every time getting goosebumps seeing him scoring those 2 goals. But, with ETH new tactic that he wants to implement, with the high press he demands of the top line, i am convinced that his time in our fantastic club is over. Sometimes, you need to know when its time to let go, and now when Lewandowski left Bayern, i could see him play there - the system works for him, he is similar to Lewandowski in his movement without the ball, neither of them are running to much to make spaces for others but more brilliant to make space for themselves near the opponents goal, can score with both legs, headers, from unbelievable angels and need to play in a team where they are the key player upfront. Ronaldo will also have the chance to score 30+ goals in the bundesliga and extend his goal records, become the top scorer in another league and also get some more goals in CL and have the chance to win both Bundesliga, the cup in Germany and maybe even with some luck maybe the CL again. Bayern have invest a lot this season and have interesting team on paper with top players like Neuer, Upamenco, De Ligt, Pavard, Hernandez, Davies, Kimmich, Goretzka, Gravenberch, Musiala, Sané. Mané, Gnabry and with Ronaldo they would a top 5 troop in Europe next year.

Before Lewandowski leaving them, i didn't see Ronaldo leaving us because i didn't see any club that could offer him what he wants - both on and off the pitch and also a new challenge and new goals to achieve (to become one of few players winning PL, Seria A, La Liga and Bundesliga for example) but now i can see it happen.

Please don't get me wrong, i love Ronaldo and he is one of the best, if not the best, player ever played in the United shirt - but soon 38 years old, not showing up for this preseason where we have a new manager that wants us to change basically everything in the way we play, is also showing that he is not satisfied (and to be honest, he doesn't have time to wait 2-3 years for this project and the way ETH want us to play, which it could take, to be implemented to all players and need at least one more summer transfer windows to get all players in place to able to fight for the PL, CL and so on (if we even get there).

I couldn't even dream, before last year, to ever see him in a Manchester United shirt scoring goals in front of Stretford End once again and we all got to witness that once again and we should forever be grateful for that and for everything he has done for us. He has always showed us as a club respect, never complained, even stayed one extra year when we agreed on letting him go to fullfill his dream to play for Real Madrid and he won us basically everything and even a Ballon d'OR before he left.

I would thank him for everything and say thank you once again, but the show must go on and this time without him. I read somewhere that we can get 25-30m euros for him and save the huge wages. Win - win situation for everyone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If he won't listen to the manager then it's up to the manager to take him out of the team. ETH needs to show he can handle the big personalities, it's a box that needs ticking to prove he can do the job.

One thing I'll say about Ronaldo, I watched him all last season, a few times live, and he was one of if not the hardest workers multiple times. He still has it in the tank to put the work in. As I said, I want to see what ETH can do with him, I'd prefer he stays for sure. And last season he was phenomenal for us.
I mean your eyes can tell you what you want them to, the stats say it all, he's literally the most useless player from a defensive POV in Europes big leagues, and has been for 5 years pretty much. See below.
Ronaldo's last 5 seasons of pressing stats:

He's certainly consistent.

Strelok

By pressing
In your dream mate.

Ronaldo has never and will not ever press. That's for him is the dirty work reserved for donkeys and is well beneath his mighty self.

Even if the humiliation and big reality check of this summer somehow would manage him to realize he's no longer that 'mighty' then his 37 yo body still won't allow him to press.

If he presses even not much we'll have to sub him by half time or he'll spend the second half barely walking around doing feck all. And bench him the following match so his body would recover. He's simply too old for that now. Check the first matches under Ralf and you'd see.

Idxomer

I mean your eyes can tell you what you want them to, the stats say it all, he's literally the most useless player from a defensive POV in Europes big leagues, and has been for 5 years pretty much. See below.
Yeah, and the problem with him is not about listening to the manager. He simply can't press much at his age and he isn't gonna change at 38 because very likely his body doesn't allow him to. That's why managers have to change their tactics so much to fit him.

His pressing stats from the last 5 seasons all paint the same picture, this is something Ronaldo has avoided doing to maximize his scoring output and to increase his longevity as much as possible. It worked great for him of course but it hasn't been working as well for his teams.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, and the problem with him is not about listening to the manager. He simply can't press much at his age and he isn't gonna change at 38 because very likely his body doesn't allow him to. That's why managers have to change their tactics so much to fit him.

His pressing stats from the last 5 seasons all paint the same picture, this is something Ronaldo has avoided doing to maximize his scoring output and to increase his longevity as much as possible. It worked great for him of course but it hasn't been working as well for his teams.
Yup. The only way - and I mean only way - Ronaldo works at a functional club at this point in his career is as an impact sub, and nothing more. He can be a good goalscorer, but as a starter? Nah. He's done.

Idxomer

Yup. The only way - and I mean only way - Ronaldo works at a functional club at this point in his career is as an impact sub, and nothing more. He can be a good goalscorer, but as a starter? Nah. He's done.
I'm not sure about impact sub but he shouldn't be playing more than a game a week under any circumstances. During the period where the team was playing at least twice a week last season, his record was awful scoring only 2 non-penalty goals in 14 games. It was absurd to see him playing 120 minutes against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup even with the lack of options.

Mainoldo

I said a few weeks ago not to rule out a Real return. Mind you, I still think he'll end up staying due to us not willing to sell (which in turn is due to him leaving things a bit too late for us to find a replacement).
He’s on extended gardening leave. I think we pretty much have agreed for him to go as soon as he finds a suitable club.

Status
Not open for further replies.