Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperiorXI

To be fair, very few posters on here do that.

It's mainly a debate over whether he was an overall positive - or not. It's just that the debate has gotten extremely polarized and exaggerated - as per usual.

If you - actually - believe that Ronaldo cost Ole his job and/or that we had a team ready to challenge, but that Ronaldo fecked it up for us...and so forth, then you weren't paying attention to what happened on the pitch in the season before. We weren't the 2nd best team in the league in terms of potential - more like 4th at best. And many people did see this.

However, we did regress as a team in ways that you can attribute to some extent to Ronaldo and the way he functioned in the team - that some people just flat out refuse to entertain this idea is part of the reason why the debate becomes so ridiculously polarized.
Yeah, good post, I fully agree with your points. This is one of those things that are not black and white.

iamking

In the case of Ronaldo, he has NEVER done the dirty work (pressing/tracking back) and if at anypoint he was forced to, it would be half arsed just for show. For him, It has always been about Ronaldo.

As for Messi, he used to track back and press alot but now does very little in these areas. He was actually very good at winning back the ball.
I agree, but even if his main agenda is about himself, it has served his clubs well. And as for as Messi doing it people should stop taking low blows on Ronaldo using 'Saint' Messi. Messi stopped running behind players since Enrique last managed Barca (2015). Frankly I don't care what he does.

As usual, caf turns a normal discussion into two cockfighting extremes - Ronaldo is a saint, Ronaldo is a shite argument. He is somewhere in between.

Nobody's claiming that he is a pressing monster (some emotional fans apart). The argument is if we still need his goals. My answer - A BIG YES! Until we get someone better (looking unlikely without CL), we are better of with him in our team than without. But If his heart is set to leave, he should pack right away.

Smores

We were’nt a pressing machine because our striker didn’t press or lead the line. Pressings/90:
Rashford 18
Sancho 14
Bruno 18
Elanga 21,5
Martial 11
Cavani 12,5
Greenwood 12,5
Ronaldo 6
Haller at West Ham: 22,5

You would look smarter if you actually did some homework instead of just throwing theories out here from the top of your head.
:houllier:
I'm not sure why googling fbref is now considered a substantiated argument on here. Feck me it's dull.

Do you actually know the criteria for those stats or did you not get further than googling them? It doesn't take a genius to know why Rashford numbers are high there despite every fan being very aware of his abysmal effort compared to Bruno. Go look at Lukaku's and tell me he presses.

Once you've figured that out you might understand why placement on the pitch and system impacts the stats hugely and why it fits with my prior post. We'll see that perfectly this season because we won't have forwards closing distance for no reason, we'll have an active press with options cut off meaning whoever our forward is will get to the CB before they make an easy pass to a fullback. It'll simply be easier for the forward so more static towards can easily be integrated.

If you actually think we didn't press last season due to Ronaldo you might want to go check how far back we have threads calling our players out on it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
My answer - A BIG YES! Until we get someone better (looking unlikely without CL), we are better of with him in our team than without.
We are better off with him in a lesser role than without him in a lesser role.

We are worse off with him as a default starter than without him as a default starter.

That would be my answer.

A clever coach should be able to use Ronaldo in some shape or form. I disagree - and have done so from the beginning * - with those who claim that he's completely finished and useless as a player. He still possesses extreme qualities. But it makes no sense whatsoever to have him as your default starter - none whatsoever. He has to be used sparingly/as some kind of regular impact sub/something along those lines.

* The beginning being when signing him became a realistic possibility, of course.

MrEleson

As for Messi, he used to track back and press alot but now does very little in these areas. He was actually very good at winning back the ball.
Messi was averaging less kms per match than the goalkeeper on his team as far back as the 2013/14 season.

iamking

We are better off with him in a lesser role than without him in a lesser role.

We are worse off with him as a default starter than without him as a default starter.

That would be my answer.

A clever coach should be able to use Ronaldo in some shape or form. I disagree - and have done so from the beginning * - with those who claim that he's completely finished and useless as a player. He still possesses extreme qualities. But it makes no sense whatsoever to have him as your default starter - none whatsoever. He has to be used sparingly/as some kind of regular impact sub/something along those lines.

* The beginning being when signing him became a realistic possibility, of course.
Club dug a hole when they re-signed him now they have to lay in it. We had everything we needed in Cavani, a senior statesman in for the short run, a very good presser, perfect team player with the right attitude, who wont mind being benched and put the team first all the time. Some genius in the board room decided destroy the entire ethos by resigning an ageing big ego star who wont give his all but wants to play all the time. A lot of our emotional ex-players and club legends are equally culpable for backing the move, just as they badly supported and prolonged with Ole.

Best thing to happen would be for Ronaldo to leave (Atletico suits the bill). A hit and run CL team that plays dirty and has a lot of grafters behind him. He will do well there. And we can get somebody younger long term.

In case he doesn't leave, and with Mr. angry crap X permanently out of picture with moral issues, It will be between him and Martial. The biggest complain against Martial since Moany's term, has been his work rate and this is well documented. So we have 2 players with serious issues with work rate while Martial slightly edges Ronaldo when it comes to pressing, Ronaldo would edge him in everything else. So keeping him on the bench makes less sense unless there is another attacker on the pipeline.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So we have 2 players with serious issues with work rate while Martial slightly edges Ronaldo when it comes to pressing, Ronaldo would edge him in everything else.
Well, I dunno about "slightly".

Martial presses about twice as much as Ronaldo - and that's over a period of time when he hasn't been coached regularly by a coach who knows how to organize pressing.

He's a decade younger - I'd say he's clearly much more capable of doing what ETH wants in a pressing system.

In theory - I mean. If Martial's head is not in the right place, he's completely useless.

iamking

Well, I dunno about "slightly".

Martial presses about twice as much as Ronaldo - and that's over a period of time when he hasn't been coached regularly by a coach who knows how to organize pressing.

He's a decade younger - I'd say he's clearly much more capable of doing what ETH wants in a pressing system.

In theory - I mean. If Martial's head is not in the right place, he's completely useless.
True! Sadly, Martial is hot and cold, he is more interested in his personal life (and his missus) than the club/career, highly unreliable. It is between him, or the club 'legend' who struts around the field looking for better pastures. Desperately hope the Atletico news is true!

[Didn't realize I had a post limit. Peace All of u. Ciao tomo! And Greenwood shouldn't be playing for us EVER! ]

MichaelRed

Because it is impossible to play ETH-football with a striker that does not press and wants to be the focal point of all moves forward. Ronaldo had the lowest pressing numbers in all the top 5 leagues last season. Of the 800+ midfielders and attackers in the top 5 leagues with more than 500 minutes last season he was rock bottom of the list at pressings/90. Putting him in the 1 percentile group for pressings/90 is actually an insult to the other 12 players in the group, because he was in the 0,1 percentile, alone. It's not possible for any modern progressive team to function well with a player like that on the pitch against top opposition. Not in any scenarios, except in your dreams maybe.
Ronaldo spent the first 3/4 of the season being the most wastefull player in our team, remember when he, in a 3 months period from December to March, scored 2 open play goals from 49 shots (in 14 games) + 1 missed and 1 scored penalty. He missed sitters every other week. His only assist in that period was a bad first touch picked up by McTom as well. Ronaldo's teammates scored 1,42 goals less than expected from Ronaldo passes last season in total. 1,42! That Sancho, Rashford and Bruno missed a couple of sitters is nothing compared to that period for Ronaldo. When he at the same time contributes zero to the collective and throws his arms in the air every time he makes a run and doesn't receive the ball, the net negative will always be huge, no matter how many goals he scores. We scored 0,42 goals less and conceded 0,35 goals more per match (0,77 goals worse goaldiff per match) in the PL last season compared to the season before. Not one non-goalkeeper player improved with his presence in the club, quite the opposite. Everyone got worse. His "elite mentality" didn't rub off. We changed the way we played when he arrived and every measurable team metric got worse as soon at the same time (chances created, chances conceded, possession, counters taken, in which areas we won possession/lost possession, etc.).
This is of course also why we have a hard time getting rid of him now. Hopefully he'll take a massive paycut and some team will bite, but I doubt very much it'll be title contenders in any of the top 5 leagues.
Because you know what 'ETH-football' is. He has played several different styles at Ajax alone, nevermind the rest of his career. It's insulting to act like he wouldn't be able to find a way to use Ronaldo more effectively than Fred the Red Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo to Atletico Madrid would be plain mad wouldn't it.

Can't see it at all.

romufc

Everyone won't be as funny when we see his replacement.
At least they'd be willing to play for the club. any other player moving like this missing training whilst actively looking for another club would be crucified.

Ronaldo should be held to the same.

I hope he fecks off out of here ASAP.

Irwin99

The Greenwood talk is really weird. I can't believe people want him to play for the club again after THAT tape.

Pickle85

Wouldn't be devastated to see him go but the hand rubbing around here is a bit much. Had a good season last season and has limited (maybe one?) years left at this level so I can't blame him for wanting out, even if the way he's doing it is classless.

gza the genius

Wouldn't be devastated to see him go but the hand rubbing around here is a bit much. Had a good season last season and has limited (maybe one?) years left at this level so I can't blame him for wanting out, even if the way he's doing it is classless.
I think everyone just knows how he is. If he wanted to be here and was willing to work as part of the team and accept being subbed out or coming off the bench when necessary he'd be great for the squad. But we all know if he does end up coming back that that's not how it's going to play out.

CM

Great. Although this stunt won't work twice if it's Real Madrid he's actually angling for.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We should swap Ronaldo with Antony.
Ronaldo will have CL with Ajax and will be happy. :D

redshaw

Doesn't sound mad to me. He's all about his goal tally in the CL, his time at Real was a while ago, he gave them incredible service and they never seemed to take him to their hearts with sections even booing him. If he can't tempt Real I think he'd go for the Atletico move and it would quickly wash over.

swissgenius

Aye when someone like Ivan Toney comes in to replace the goals, we'll see what you say.
You don't just add individual goal numbers and get a team result.
Martial or Rashfords numbers will depend on where and how much they play, same with all the other players.
No one needs to 'replace' Ronaldos goals, we'll need to play better and more fluid in attack, that's important. And that'll be easier without Ronaldo I guess.
1 more goal from every outfield player and the loss of CR7 is already covered.
City didn't have a proper goal scorer since Aguero and still dominated the league.
Their leading scorers were Gündogan with 13 two years ago and KdB with 15 goals last season.
Lewandowski leaving Bayern won't result in minus 40 goals for them, we're not playing Fifa here..

worldinmotion66

His actions have been unprofessional and disrespectful. Him coming back now would be like taking back a girlfriend after she cheated on you, it just lacks self respect. At the same time, it's a bit of a defence mechanism to say 'good riddence, I didn't love you anyway'. Deep down, supporters are hurt and his legendary status at the club has been tainted.

I think a happy ronaldo playing every other game and being subbed often would be great, but we know we won't have that.

FatTails

I hope he does a year at Atletico then finally a couple of years at Benefica :lol:

Pearl.Jam

We are undoubtedly better next year with Ronaldo, but if he's not committed cut him lose. He was a legend, but no player is bigger than the club.
Nope, never was and never will be, the guy is a egomaniacal twat that’s only ever cared about individual glory and anyone who still thinks he’s a legend of our club is seriously fvcking deluded

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I keep reading that on the Caf but nowhere else, so that's clearly BS?!

I highly doubt he has a future at this club, tbh.
It's because only people on redcafe are so completely delusional and idiotic. There is absolutely no way Greenwood will return to Man Utd and if you believe he will you are a cretin. As always my 50£ bet for charity stands for anyone who thinks he will play another game for Man Utd. I have posted this about five times and nobody ever takes it up because everyone knows there's absolutely no path back for Greenwood.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Great. Although this stunt won't work twice if it's Real Madrid he's actually angling for.
I actually have a hard time convincing myself Simeone is up for it. Yeah, sure, Cristiano has knocked him out of the CL so many times, yadda yadda... still think something would die in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.