Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPMUFC

Hopefully we’re planning on the basis that Ronaldo isn’t going to be here and, even if he is, he won’t be in the right frame of mind to play well and will likely be disruptive
Ronaldo walking into the XI first GW just seems to be counter to everything ETH has said so far and done. ETH has played the situation well in the press but the quicker we can agree a deal with Madrid the better.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ronaldo walking into the XI first GW just seems to be counter to everything ETH has said so far and done. ETH has played the situation well in the press but the quicker we can agree a deal with Madrid the better.
That would be the end of Tony Gloves smiling. He’d probably never smile again.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
For sure, it's done! £100 to a domestic violence charity of the winners choosing (that was actually my original post/intention when I posted this first a few weeks ago - feels weird betting on this otherwise). I pay out if he ever plays for the Man Utd first team in any capacity, bench or starting. Ye pay £50 each if he doesn't - happy on any time-limit for this, ye can choose.

Fair play to ye, I hope I am right and the club never lets him near it again. I'd be really personally disappointed in the club if he did. It would really dampen my support, so losing £100 would be the least of my worries. I'd be saving on a few tickets to games and associated costs anyway which is a big multiple of that when you fly over for a few games every year from Ireland.
Great stuff, if you both come up with a suitable timeline I will go along with it. Just pm me the details as not to divert the thread.

Lee565

Ronaldo doing his best to burn all bridges this summer, first united with his Brat like self indulgent attitude and now real madrid by begging to join atletico.

Messi will forever be an idol in the eyes of Barca fans but don't think ronaldo will get that same treatment from us (I hope not) or real madrid in the future when he is long retired

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Ronaldo doing his best to burn all bridges this summer, first united with his Brat like self indulgent attitude and now real madrid by begging to join atletico.

Messi will forever be an idol in the eyes of Barca fans but don't think ronaldo will get that same treatment from us (I hope not) or real madrid in the future when he is long retired
Shades of Michael Owen. No matter how much he tries to align himself with Liverpool today, he’ll always be a traitor to their fans and no one else he’s ever played for could care less about him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Any chance he goes to his childhood club (Benfica) or are they too skint?

The dude has done everything in the game pretty much but playing for the side you support must be on his list somewhere.

pacifictheme

Ronaldo really shouldn't be seen the same here as Messi at barca regardless of how this summer plays out. He left at his peak, forced a move in fact. He had one truly great season here and gave his best years to Madrid.

MrEleson

Ronaldo really shouldn't be seen the same here as Messi at barca regardless of how this summer plays out. He left at his peak, forced a move in fact. He had one truly great season here and gave his best years to Madrid.
He had 3.5 World class seasons.

2 out of this world seasons (06/07 & 07/08).

Was most comfortably our best player from February 2006 up till the day he left in summer 2009.

foolsgold

He deffo didn't have 3.5 world class seasons, not by a long way.
Agreed. 07 - 08 was world class, the seasons either side of it were both very good but not quite at the same level.

He did however have 8 or 9 world class seasons at Madrid though, he delivered his absolute peak in a white shirt.

mshnsh

Don't kid yourself. They are people here on this forum who would change their sexual preferences for him.

When he left there are people who started supporting Madrid and possibly had no problem them beating us in the CL

AndySmith1990

Don't kid yourself. They are people here on this forum who would change their sexual preferences for him.

When he left there are people who started supporting Madrid and possibly had no problem them beating us in the CL
There will still be some who will bump his thread and post "SUIIII" whenever he scores for his next club. They get that excited you get the feeling they are actually touching themselves as they type it

KeanoMagicHat

Theres not a single attribute Martial has over Ronaldo. He’s gone from being on the transfer list after a failed loan at Seville to being the best striker in the prem within the space of 2 weeks according to some.
Watch them both dribble for a start, Martial is miles better at dribbling than current Ronaldo, who dribbles as much as a centre back. Martial also has more pace and is better at holding the ball up and a better passer.

Renegade

Agreed. 07 - 08 was world class, the seasons either side of it were both very good but not quite at the same level.

He did however have 8 or 9 world class seasons at Madrid though, he delivered his absolute peak in a white shirt.
To be fair he was probably 2nd best in the world in 06/07 behind Kaka. 23 goals from RW in a 442 was incredible. He was definitely world class that season.

mshnsh

He had 3.5 World class seasons.

2 out of this world seasons (06/07 & 07/08).

Was most comfortably our best player from February 2006 up till the day he left in summer 2009.
He had 1 great season interms of all round play (06/07), 1 great season interms of goals especially in the second half of the season (07/08).

08/09 he played well only during the run-in from April. Rooney was atleast as good during the run in.

So 2 great seasons for different reasons although 07/08 is rated higher because of his goals total. Something that always skews the discussion when it comes to Cristiano.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His power has diminished off the pitch as well as on it. His strop is hurting him more than the club. No skin off the club’s nose if a player who’ll never play for it again doesn’t get a preseason. He can’t call himself a slave because the club is letting him do whatever he wants but no one wants him. He’s got no cards to play. This summer he and his agent have made it clear to all that he has become a desperate has-been who has nothing positive to offer anyone.

MrEleson

He deffo didn't have 3.5 world class seasons, not by a long way.

Well 06/07 was unquestionably a World Class season.

He won all major individual awards in the PL that year and finished 2nd in the BDOR. If that wasn’t a world class season then nobody in the PL has had a WC season.

08/09 for me was a world class season (maybe not Ronaldo class) but he was still topscorer for the team in all competitions and finished 2nd topscorer in the league despite missing early games due to injury. He was our best and most pivotal performer in the latter stages of the CL with a historic goal against Porto and a historic performance against Arsenal. It wasn’t as good as 07/08 and he was petulant but if it was another player you would say it was a World Class season.

So that’s 3 seasons already.

05/06 he was amazing after his 21st birthday and undoubtedly our best and most consistent performer in the 2nd half of the season which earned him a place in the PL team of the season.

All in all, in his 1st spell here he finished in the PL team of the season 4 times (all in a row).

So please explain to me how “he didn’t have 3.5 world class seasons by a long way” I’d really like to know.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

another tour game where we aren't having to shape ourselves around feeding Ronaldo. He absolutely spits chips if shaw plays in Sancho instead of him in that scenario. We are actually looking at all options to score and not just wondering were Ronaldo is.

Ronaldo scores goals for fun, but i'm loving the options we have without him. Any of our attackers are looking like scorers.

Enigma_87

You know who

07-09 he was world class, so 3 seasons in a row he definitely was.

Ronaldo was the best player on a team that won the title 3 times in a row, got to the SF, F and won CL and also was 2nd, 1st, 2nd in the Ballon D'or rankings in those seasons. If that's not world class in any books I'm not sure what is.

SungSam7

Think he has basically burned the bridges now, where does he go?

The players are performing well without him, the board will see this, ETH wont feel pressured into playing him considering he basically has said he wants out and we arent good enough for him.

I enjoyed CR7, I was looking forward to this season with him, no hes done it seems unless he changes his attitude and style for the team.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Hopefully we tear up the contract before the season starts and ronaldo goes without a CL club.

Would be hilarious if messi gets a hat trick in his first cl game this season :lol:

Idxomer

07-09 he was world class, so 3 seasons in a row he definitely was.

Ronaldo was the best player on a team that won the title 3 times in a row, got to the SF, F and won CL and also was 2nd, 1st, 2nd in the Ballon D'or rankings in those seasons. If that's not world class in any books I'm not sure what is.
I wouldn't call him our best player in 08/09, the defence was the star of the show and Vidic was the player of the season.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well 06/07 was unquestionably a World Class season.

He won all major individual awards in the PL that year and finished 2nd in the BDOR. If that wasn’t a world class season then nobody in the PL has had a WC season.

08/09 for me was a world class season (maybe not Ronaldo class) but he was still topscorer for the team in all competitions and finished 2nd topscorer in the league despite missing early games due to injury. He was our best and most pivotal performer in the latter stages of the CL with a historic goal against Porto and a historic performance against Arsenal. It wasn’t as good as 07/08 and he was petulant but if it was another player you would say it was a World Class season.

So that’s 3 seasons already.

05/06 he was amazing after his 21st birthday and undoubtedly our best and most consistent performer in the 2nd half of the season which earned him a place in the PL team of the season.

All in all, in his 1 spell here he finished in the PL team of the season 4 times (all in a row).

So please explain to me how “he didn’t have 3.5 world class seasons by a long way” I’d really like to know.
Okay I'm sorry, you win.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wouldn't call him our best player in 08/09, the defence was the star of the show and Vidic was the player of the season.
It's debatable, but he was fantastic in the KO of the CL. Scored against Inter to put us through, that worldie against Porto and was absolutely brilliant in the second game against Arsenal scoring 2 and assisting 1.

26 goals and 12 assists in all comps despite missing some games due to ankle surgery, clutch against Villa and Spurs when the title was on the line.

I'd say that's pretty much WC. Vidic was also WC and the best defender in the world at the time alongside Rio.

Castia

Watch them both dribble for a start, Martial is miles better at dribbling than current Ronaldo, who dribbles as much as a centre back. Martial also has more pace and is better at holding the ball up and a better passer.
You‘ve sold me

Martial and his 5 league goals in 2 years > Ronaldo

mshnsh

Interms of goalscoring yes. But otherwise 06/07 was better. 08/09 was poor regardless of the statistics.

As for Madrid, up until 14/15 he was good in allround play but after that he was only good to score goals in the ucl but his performances had started declining significantly . 15/16 was very similar to 08/09 in the sense that he only started playing well after April but the stats and goals vs wolfsburg paper over it.
To be fair he was probably 2nd best in the world in 06/07 behind Kaka. 23 goals from RW in a 442 was incredible. He was definitely world class that season.
If you ask me, Ronaldo was better than Kaka in 06/07 but Messi was better than both WHEN FIT ( and has been since). Kaka won the ballon d'or purely because of his goals in the the champions league, something Ronaldo did in 2016 and 2017 and to some people maybe even 2008.

mshnsh

It's debatable, but he was fantastic in the KO of the CL. Scored against Inter to put us through, that worldie against Porto and was absolutely brilliant in the second game against Arsenal scoring 2 and assisting 1.

26 goals and 12 assists in all comps despite missing some games due to ankle surgery, clutch against Villa and Spurs when the title was on the line.

I'd say that's pretty much WC. Vidic was also WC and the best defender in the world at the time alongside Rio.
That season, 08/09, sort if summarises Ronaldo. Poor for large parts but scoring than wakes up at the business end and scores champions league goals. End of season, 50 goals (24 last season), every poor game is forgotten.:lol:

KeanoMagicHat

You‘ve sold me

Martial and his 5 league goals in 2 years > Ronaldo
You’re just being obtuse, I never said Martial was a better individual player, you said he wasn’t better at any attribute, which just isn’t true. Ronaldo is still really good at some parts of forward play but he has clear limitations on others, Ivan Toney is far better at heading than Mbappé, doesn’t make him a better individual player etc.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Im actually enjoying watching him and his agent get rejected for a new club if reports are true.
Good reality check for him.
Clearly, he is failing to close the deal because he has not done a CR7 Brochure.

He needs to spend a little to make a little more. A nice glossy photo shoot of him in as little clothes as possible, working out at his own gym, all sweaty.

That will close the deal with a few clubs and hearts.

Gottabekiddingme

Do people really think ETH wants to spend this upcoming season with Martial and a cheap back up striker they'll bring in? Of course he wants Ronaldo to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.