Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seij

Is the "open to a move to Athletico" a similar play to the City move. He knew we'd never allow him to join City. Is he banking on Real stepping in to stop him joining Atletico. I think he's making a mistake if he thinks that will happen. I'm surprised Athletico would be interested, doesn't Simeone expect his forwards to press? Ronaldo wouldn't fit in there.
I'm pretty sure that his potential move to City wasn't some ploy. He was actually open to joining them but Woodward and Murtough jumped in and offered him a ton more money (plus we could also offer CL football, which is his utmost priority).

Similar thing here - he actually wants to join Atletico because he's desperate for CL football and he's already been turned down by Bayern, Chelsea, PSG. His agent knows Real won't take him back.

Morpheus 7

@Zlaatan don't be suggesting we were great the season we came 2nd. Everybody knows we were miles off, closed stadiums with covid. Liverpool's form fell off a cliff, Chelsea turned it around at the very end, we blew it when the pressure was on in El final and our counter attacking was found out eventually. I'm sick of you'se moving the goal posts here to support that we won't miss Ronaldo's goals.

@swissgenius you're original post was idiotic too, only in the red cafe you could get away with that level of delusional. Suggesting that City spread the goals out the same way, we will too. Even though we have glaring holes in this team. Ronaldo ain't my hero either, it's a player I loved as brought great success to united, even though some don't seem to remember now. One of the few to win a champions league and balon dor here, like many I feel he's let us down and showed lack of loyalty when we need him. Saying that I respect him a lot more than I do for the opinions in this thread, it's a fecking disgrace.

r1z3mu

Ronaldo will end up in Portugal. Too late to come back to United (half of fans will boo him). And it's clear nobody wants him (too much unwanted baggage).

Rojow

Ronaldo will end up in Portugal. Too late to come back to United (half of fans will boo him). And it's clear nobody wants him (too much unwanted baggage).
I don't think the fans in the Stadium have the balls to boo him. We are not Madrid.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If i were EtH, I'd insist United to have Ronaldo gone at all cost. It's not about CR ability or what he can do at this point. It's more about a player challenging EtH's authority as a manager. Also if CR is gone, the manager have valid request for additional attacker.

leon24

He doesn’t have any club loyalty and his universe revolves around himself.

Wants to join Man C when he had played for us.
Wants to join AM when he had played for RM.

marktan

It was obvious to anyone who watched Juve in their final season that Ronaldo was declining, we should have just let him go to City. But no, Ole and Woodward swoop in to do everyone except us a solid. And now we get this trainwreck.

Rolaholic

I don't think the fans in the Stadium have the balls to boo him. We are not Madrid.
Yea if it were in another country/league the fanbase would whistle/boo him from the starting whistle.

Our home fans are far too 'polite' for that though. We only reserve that sort of treatment for former academy products

iamking

Yea if it were in another country/league the fanbase would whistle/boo him from the starting whistle.

Our home fans are far too 'polite' for that though. We only reserve that sort of treatment for former academy products
Which one? Too many duds recently. Be specific.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
All I am going to say is the Cristiano Ronaldo transfer thread on the Sporting CP forum has got to be the thread of the year!

It is hilarious right now, long may it continue !

The joyish rumor is that Ronaldo Will be at the Alvalade this Sunday and will be presented to the fans, obviously not truth to it but these “Insiders” on the forum are making all the fans go crazy and it is hilarious !

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
How on earth do you replace him in our team? One financially and two who can we get in? Mind is boggled

Josh 76

It was obvious to anyone who watched Juve in their final season that Ronaldo was declining, we should have just let him go to City. But no, Ole and Woodward swoop in to do everyone except us a solid. And now we get this trainwreck.
I don’t think Ole had much of a say to be honest.

Highfather_24

I love SAF more than I love anyone else in football.

But I was livid at him, when he did the whole "your best player should always play" bs with Ole last season. Completely undermined his authority, and royally fecked him over. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but was just a weird thing to do, considering the man always talks about how you can never let a player become bigger than the manager/club.

city-puma

I love SAF more than I love anyone else in football.

But I was livid at him, when he did the whole "your best player should always play" bs with Ole last season. Completely undermined his authority, and royally fecked him over. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but was just a weird thing to do, considering the man always talks about how you can never let a player become bigger than the manager/club.
I still remember he said, “maybe something has to give”. I thought he would drop Ronaldo. Unfortunately, he did nothing the next game. What made him not to pull the trigger? We will know more in the future.

WPMUFC

after watching how much work has gone into getting the team to bond and get on the same wavelength...please get this sale done. I think he's a generational player, i loved how he set the standard at times last season, but coming back into this squad now is impossible. He's got to go.

Dannn411

Just pray Atletico can take him. Its at point of no return now. He has to leave by the end of the window. Not good enough anymore to put up with all his drama and his massive ego. He's obviously a legend, one of the 5 greatest players of all time, but won't ever be the greatest ever if that's what he's still playing for.

We need an rvn

How on earth do you replace him in our team? One financially and two who can we get in? Mind is boggled
You’ve got to think about how the squad has bonded over the last 3 weeks, taken to eth’s style of play, built up fitness for the high press etc - in the meantime mr ego is sitting at home having a fit and wanting out.
He has no right to come back in my opinion and bridges have been

MrEleson

No, but Sir Alex Ferguson did and we know Ronaldo will have Sir Alex's phone number (from August 2021) so maybe he thought that rather be seen to be a moaning minnie himself, why not get his ex-Boss to say something instead, with the end result that CR7 was the first name on the team sheet, from that match onwards?

Having said that, I don't disagree with your analysis of the later part of the season meaning that he had to play more often than he possibly should have. We all know the problems the younger players had, but I was very disappointed with the attitude Cavani showed (whom I loved for that wonder goal the previous season, alone) he really did let himself down and the club down in difficult circumstances. Having said that (I seem to be arguing against myself tonight!) I still don't understand why league rules were bent (broken?) to give Cavani's shirt number to Ronaldo which we were told he was OK about, but was he, was he, really?
I appreciate your answer but with regards to the Sir Alex part, I think it’s unlikely that Ronaldo put that in his mouth as he said that immediately after the game before he would’ve even gotten the chance to speak with him…unless you believe that Ronaldo had already complained to him before the match even happened as I guess players will see the line-up some hours before the game. But even then, it’s a very big assumption to make.

I genuinely don’t think Ronaldo wants to play every game like it has been strongly implied on here. I just think that because our team sucked to the point it did last season, he kinda had to and even put it on himself to play as much as he could to help us secure top 4 with the lack of options we had.

Ironically, you could even praise his commitment in a sense, but somehow it’s been spun negatively on here into him playing because of his ego. And it’s like football fans don’t think. Who exactly do you replace Ronaldo with if you drop him like they wanted him to be dropped in games after January?

Here’s what he says as far back as 2019 where he admits himself that if it was down to him, he would only play national team games, important league games and champions league games:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...no-Ronaldo-admits-play-big-occasions-him.html

EDIT: Also, from the latest briefs:

This supports my point and what he said in 2019. He does not want to play every minute. He wants a team that will compete even when takes weeks off which is the opposite of what United were post-January last season. Ronaldo is a smart player, I’m sure him above all would know at this stage, the secret to preserving his longevity is to play sparingly and conservatively.

Last edited:

Mayhem

His reaction last season when subbed is all you need to know. Get rid.

sepulturite

You’ve got to think about how the squad has bonded over the last 3 weeks, taken to eth’s style of play, built up fitness for the high press etc - in the meantime mr ego is sitting at home having a fit and wanting out.
He has no right to come back in my opinion and bridges have been
Have been...........? Don't leave us hanging dude! :lol:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People asking how we'd replace his goals as if he took us to a league title last season or something. We finished 6th with no trophy, worse than the previous 2 seasons without him. We don't need to "replace" his goals, the team will produce far more goals as a collective as demonstrated the previous seasons without him.

These talks of "with or without" Ronaldo las season are hilarious to me. Some people are being a bit deluded on the Ronaldo's front. The narrative is being painted as if we would have been lost without Ronaldo last season when the truth of the matter is we WERE lost with him last season. We finished 6th and no trophies WITH him. Remove Ronaldo we STILL finish outside CL football and no trophy, he didn't move the needle for us and some would argue we got worse with his acquisition.

I couldn't care less about his individual goals. I know and seen the team produce far more goals as a collective without him, so I'll take that scenario. Let him go pad his stats somewhere else.

BarstoolProphet

All I am going to say is the Cristiano Ronaldo transfer thread on the Sporting CP forum has got to be the thread of the year!

It is hilarious right now, long may it continue !

The joyish rumor is that Ronaldo Will be at the Alvalade this Sunday and will be presented to the fans, obviously not truth to it but these “Insiders” on the forum are making all the fans go crazy and it is hilarious !
His mum and her new hubby are massive Sporting fans, aren't they? Maybe they have managed to convince him to stay in Portugal.

Wing Attack Plan R

Despite all the talking if Robaldo's mentality he's the worst player to keep against his wishes. He's the most narcissistic and petulant player I've ever seen. If he stays, he'll sulk, throw hissy fits and make sure it's all about his unhappiness. One of the greatest ever in his prime, but there is no value in keeping him against his wishes when he's 37.
This Robaldo sounds like a right cnut.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not only is Ronaldo going to be playing in Europa league, he's also going to start the season on the bench. He's head would explode. I can honestly see him making himself unavailable even when the league starts, until he gets his transfer

jamesjimmybyrondean

I appreciate your answer but with regards to the Sir Alex part, I think it’s unlikely that Ronaldo put that in his mouth as he said that immediately after the game before he would’ve even gotten the chance to speak with him…unless you believe that Ronaldo had already complained to him before the match even happened as I guess players will see the line-up some hours before the game. But even then, it’s a very big assumption to make.

I genuinely don’t think Ronaldo wants to play every game like it has been strongly implied on here. I just think that because our team sucked to the point it did last season, he kinda had to and even put it on himself to play as much as he could to help us secure top 4 with the lack of options we had.

Ironically, you could even praise his commitment in a sense, but somehow it’s been spun negatively on here into him playing because of his ego. And it’s like football fans don’t think. Who exactly do you replace Ronaldo with if you drop him like they wanted him to be dropped in games after January?

Here’s what he says as far back as 2019 where he admits himself that if it was down to him, he would only play national team games, important league games and champions league games:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...no-Ronaldo-admits-play-big-occasions-him.html

EDIT: Also, from the latest briefs:

This supports my point and what he said in 2019. He does not want to play every minute. He wants a team that will compete even when takes weeks off which is the opposite of what United were post-January last season. Ronaldo is a smart player, I’m sure him above all would know at this stage, the secret to preserving his longevity is to play sparingly and conservatively.
He can save his energy for Europa

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not only is Ronaldo going to be playing in Europa league, he's also going to start the season on the bench. He's head would explode. I can honestly see him making himself unavailable even when the league starts, until he gets his transfer
If he doesn't get it then what?

I wonder if he's considered buying out his own contract.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Return to your real home and take your rightful place as the Lion King at Sporting! (Get it? our emblem is a Lion:angel:)

Lisbon eagerly awaits your return !:drool:

Ok but seriously he is staying at United, it's obvious.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hopefully we’re planning on the basis that Ronaldo isn’t going to be here and, even if he is, he won’t be in the right frame of mind to play well and will likely be disruptive

Status
Not open for further replies.