Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEleson

And players before grew up idolising Michele Platini and Zinedine Zidane. How’s that helped their reputation in the outside world.

I’d actually be interested in if, legacy wise, Messi even manages to live on as much as Ronaldinho despite being the far more successful player.
Michelle Platini and zinedine Zidane didn’t have Ronaldo levels of stardom. Not comparable.

RORY65

So this makes it clear that him having personal issues which ruled him out of pre-season had nothing to do with wanting to leave.
Yes because we now believe literally every media report. Plus nobody wants him. What other choice does he have, not train or play for the entire season?

Irwin99

Ronaldo has completely misread the room. I expect he will be booed next time he plays
If i remember correctly the Ronaldo song was replaced by 'Viva John Terry!' pretty quickly at the start of the 08-09 season and a lot of people were pissed off with him, me included. We started that season in not great form though and as soon as he made his return from injury against Villarreal he actually got a really good reception and lifted the mood when he came on as a sub.

Wonder if the same thing might happen again.

JB7

So this makes it clear that him having personal issues which ruled him out of pre-season had nothing to do with wanting to leave.
Didn't Palace have unvaccinated players that didn't travel to Australia? Could the "personal issues" simply be that he wasn't vaccinated and as such couldn't travel there?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If i remember correctly the Ronaldo song was replaced by 'Viva John Terry!' pretty quickly at the start of the 08-09 season and a lot of people were pissed off with him, me included. We started that season in not great form though and as soon as he made his return from injury against Villarreal he actually got a really good reception and lifted the mood when he came on as a sub.

Wonder if the same thing might happen again.
He is quite capable of playing the way we need. ETH might just be the man to get him to do this every game.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
As I always said....He is staying.

Probably good news for United.

As for Ronaldo I understand he also wants the CL but listen, your 37 it is what it is your already the greatest CL player ever it is basically his competition their is nothing left to prove. Then again he has that relentless mindset but he has to let it go.

In conclusion finish up your contract at United, score your 30 help them make top 4 under ETH and come back home next summer :wenger::D

SportingCP96

Supports
He is quite capable of playing the way we need. ETH might just be the man to get him to do this every game.
His link up play and passing is such and underrated part of his game because its actually brilliant when he chooses it to be. He prefers to be at the end of passes as opposed to giving them but under ETH will be the first time in his life he will be needed to play that way more often.

MrEleson

I was just coming here to post this. You beat me to it.

Just a shame Bruno took and missed the pen that would’ve helped cap off a great performance and probably salvage our top 4 hopes for another matchday.

If only Ronaldo would have been as selfish as people on here lament him for eh?

TheHeya

If he apologises to the locker room for his antics despite not publicly saying he wants out like Rooney did and he gives 100% to ETH in training and on the pitch then no harm done.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
This is all just your opinion and doesn’t come close to reflecting the truth. How can Ronaldo be much closer to phelps - who in your opinion doesn’t belong in the company of the others as far as sports icons are concerned yet you label Messi close to them. So you’re saying Messi has been a far bigger icon than Ronaldo over the past decade? That isn’t remotely true.

Go check up on who the current generation of players idolised growing up (18-21). It’s 90% Ronaldo. Mbappe, Sancho, Vlahovic, Halaand, Rodrygo, Grealish etc etc. Even guys that are now 26-29 grew up idolising him more than any other footballer. Not to mention his superior social media following.

Your loath of Ronaldo is clearly clouding judgment here.
Total BS..

Messi is by far the more admired player both in the managers and players world. Even Ronaldo's former United teammates think Messi is easily better other than a few exceptions. That tells you everything you need to know about Ronaldo's standing vs Messi.

MrEleson

If he apologises to the locker room for his antics despite not publicly saying he wants out like Rooney did and he gives 100% to ETH in training and on the pitch then no harm done.
I get your point but the report does say he still wants to leave. And he was given compassionate leave so technically he has no apologising to do. The club accepted the reason for his absence.

MrEleson

Total BS..

Messi is by far the more admired player both in the managers and players world. Even Ronaldo's teammates think Messi is easily better other than a few exceptions. That tells you everything you need to know about Ronaldo's standing.
Yawn.

I’m not gonna go back and forth on this. 90% of the younger generation idolise Ronaldo. They were all posting about him on their social media accounts as kids and really cba to dig it up now. I’ll give maybe 2 or 3 anecdotes. But it’s a pretty long list.

s=21&t=BAVl92eOogn7jnPoSN-Hig

I’ve hardly seen that for Messi.

In fact, Messi’s latest teammate ekitite was caught liking photos like this:

While he thinks Ronaldo is the GOAT

And how many of Ronaldo’s teammates have said Messi is better? I only know of a few.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
Total BS..

Messi is by far the more admired player both in the managers and players world. Even Ronaldo's former United teammates think Messi is easily better other than a few exceptions. That tells you everything you need to know about Ronaldo's standing vs Messi.
Ronaldo is the most famous footballer in the world for a reason as well as being more idolized by younger generations.

Who people believe is better is a never ending debate however the most popular player in the world? Ronaldo. Social media following is only a portion of the reason.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
90% of the younger generation idolise Ronaldo.
sure :lol: care to post a reference to this BS percentage?

They were all posting about him on their social media accounts as kids and really cba to dig it up now. I’ve hardly seen that for Messi.
Messi doesn't give a feck about social media, doesn't even have a twitter. Imagine thinking social follower count is what determines the legacy of a player.

And how many of Ronaldo’s teammates have said Messi is better? I only know of a few.

Paul Scholes:
"Ronaldo is sensational at what he does, with pace and power. He scores, he takes free-kicks. But as an all-round footballer, Messi - wow, his passing - he has absolutely everything."
Dimitar Berbatov:
"They can have similarities in their technical skills and talent, and it is hallucinating for football to have them both present, but Messi is simply the best player in the world. He [Messi] is alone in his class as a player, it is impossible that there is another like him.”
Wayne Rooney:
"I think I've said this before, but they're both probably the best two players to ever play the game. I just think Messi is, in my eyes, the greatest ever."
Ryan Giggs:
"Obviously I lean towards Ronaldo a little bit because I played with him and saw him develop as a player. But Messi is a genius, he's a once in a lifetime player. It's as simple as that."

https://tribuna.com/en/news/fcbarce...eammates-who-name-leo-messi-as-the-real-goat/

Paul Scholes:
"I think about the great players with whom I have shared a pitch: Eric Cantona, Zinedine Zidane, Pirlo, Xavi, Ronaldo and the greatest of them all is Messi."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...r-lionel-messi-as-the-greatest-of-them-all-UK

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Ronaldo is the most famous footballer in the world for a reason as well as being more idolized by younger generations.

Who people believe is better is a never ending debate however the most popular player in the world? Ronaldo. Social media following is only a portion of the reason.
The debate is already settled outside Portugal, has always between Maradona, Pele and Messi with Ronaldo fanbois attempting to desperately make their guys relevant with stat-padding..

Having millions of followers in the football illiterate regions does not make you popular.. Based on your logic, Maradona or Pele are irrelevant with many random influencers more popular than them because of well social media count..

Randomly ask 100 managers/players from now, from history, Messi will be selected over Ronaldo easily almost every time other than a few times unless you are from Portugal or a Real fan. You are not impressing managers/players with your gym/sauna pictures on instagram..

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's made an ass out of himself with the circus he and his agent have brought about, I know it won't be on the table but I think we should tell him to feck off unless he totally buys into Eric's plans.

MrEleson

Messi doesn't give a feck about social media, doesn't even have a twitter. Imagine thinking social follower count is what determines the legacy of a player
You misunderstood what I said. I didn’t say social media count. I said that most of the top young talents of today idolised Ronaldo as a kid and celebrated him on their social media accounts. I’ve since edited my post to show a few anecdotes so you can go back and check. Your current wonder kid striker thinks he’s the GOAT too.

Not really interested in going back and forth on this discussion.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I was just coming here to post this. You beat me to it.

Just a shame Bruno took and missed the pen that would’ve helped cap off a great performance and probably salvage our top 4 hopes for another matchday.

If only Ronaldo would have been as selfish as people on here lament him for eh?
I remember a Fergie interview where he was asked why Ronaldo didnt help defend and Fergie said "Because I dont want him to, he has a job elsewhere". I am pretty sure he will if asked

SportingCP96

Supports
The debate is already settled outside Portugal, has always between Maradona, Pele and Messi with Ronaldo fanbois attempting to desperately make their guys relevant with stat-padding..

Having millions of followers in the football illiterate regions does not make you popular.. Based on your logic, Maradona or Pele are irrelevant with many random influencers more popular than them because of well social media count..

Randomly ask 100 managers/players from now, from history, Messi will be selected over Ronaldo easily almost every time other than a few times unless you are from Portugal or a Real fan. You are not impressing managers/players with your gym/sauna pictures on instagram..
You can say that all you want but their is a Messi Vs Ronaldo debate for a reason for the past 15 years and it is not just because of Portugal and Madrid Or else it would be a landslide. We know your ignorance already when it comes to this topic but it shocks me you continue to comment on it despite being taken to the cleaners every single time. "Relevant with stat padding" just happens to be yet another of your long list of awful takes.

Their always will be a Ronaldo vs Messi debate because they both dominated an era equally and shared many of the spoils. Messi with possibly a higher peak in 2012 but Ronaldo with the most impressive feats and most proven in the entirety of their careers. (Obvious questions of Messi having struggled outside of Barca as showcased in PSG).

You can debate all you want but Ronaldo is very clearly the most popular of the two footballers and the most marketable. I never said social media was the sole reason but it is a small example of how much more of a following and popular figure Ronaldo is over Messi. Their social media numbers are not even remotely close.

Nonetheless this is not the topic for this conversation so reply if you would like but I will not be replying to this particular conversation.

RedTiger

Half mast
As I always said....He is staying.

Probably good news for United.

As for Ronaldo I understand he also wants the CL but listen, your 37 it is what it is your already the greatest CL player ever it is basically his competition their is nothing left to prove. Then again he has that relentless mindset but he has to let it go.

In conclusion finish up your contract at United, score your 30 help them make top 4 under ETH and come back home next summer :wenger::D
My sentiments exactly.

lex talionis

If Ronaldo can embrace not playing more than once a week I have no doubt he can be a fantastic contributor to our success this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sainz is a journo that's said to be close to Ronaldo and Mendes.

"Cristiano will exercise at Carrington on Tuesday while waiting for Atletico Madrid."

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Total BS..

Least to say, Messi's superior teammate Mbappe admires Ronaldo more though.

But anyway, its rather pointless to argue who is the most "admired" player here. Messi could be the most talneted/best player in players mind, but Ronaldo could have the most admired career in player's mind too. While Messi could be the most talented/best player in coach mind, Ronaldo could be the ideal player managers most wanted too.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Least to say, Messi's superior teammate Mbappe admires Ronaldo more though.

But anyway, its rather pointless to argue who is the most "admired" player here. Messi could be the most talneted/best player in players mind, but Ronaldo could have the most admired career in player's mind too. While Messi could be the most talented/best player in coach mind, Ronaldo could be the ideal player managers most wanted too.
what are you talking about?
Messi is even more popular on this United forum than Ronaldo and that's before his pre-season antics, imagine the situation for other teams' neutral fans... and how everybody views Ronaldo now, the guy became the laughing stock of the football world, managed it all by himself thanks to his narcissism..

Former real United legends like Rooney, Giggs and Scholes explained their views clearly. Yeah, Ronaldo definitely has more admired career jump-shipping two years in a row now like a true leader and being whored around Europe just like last year & getting rejected left-right with no major award in years now. He definitely showed he is an ideal team player that put his team's interests over his own stats, last time I checked he was trying to make a move to Atletico even lowering his salary to switch from United, the club that made him for a so-called new "challenge", so noble:lol:

Messi and Ronaldo cannot be substituted one to one (as you always desperately attempt to suggest) as Ronaldo lacks top level technique, playmaking, passing, dribbling skills unlike Messi. Both are top goal scorers, that's the only are where they have similarities. Trophies, individual awards wise, Ronaldo is well behind as well.. No wonder Ronaldo's most passionate fans on this forum are Portuguese, I am not even an Argentine just like most Messi fans on this forum..

This is my final post about both players on this thread..

Last edited:

genardk

Supports
Juventus
You misunderstood what I said. I didn’t say social media count. I said that most of the top young talents of today idolised Ronaldo as a kid and celebrated him on their social media accounts. I’ve since edited my post to show a few anecdotes so you can go back and check. Your current wonder kid striker thinks he’s the GOAT too.

Not really interested in going back and forth on this discussion.
me too, let's agree to disagree..

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
what are you talking about?
Messi is even more popular on this United forum than Ronaldo and that's before his pre-season antics, imagine the situation for other teams' neutral fans... and how everybody views Ronaldo now, the guy became the laughing stock of the football world, managed it all by himself thanks to his narcissism..

Former real United legends like Rooney, Giggs and Scholes explained their views clearly. Yeah, Ronaldo definitely has more admired career jump-shipping two years in a row now like a true leader and being whored around Europe just like last year & getting rejected left-right with no major award in years now. He definitely showed he is an ideal team player that put his team's interests over his own stats, last time I checked he was trying to make a move to Atletico even lowering his salary to switch from United, the club that made him for a so-called new "challenge", so noble:lol:

Messi and Ronaldo cannot be substituted one to one (as you always desperately attempt to suggest) as Ronaldo lacks top level technique, playmaking, passing, dribbling skills unlike Messi. Both are top goal scorers, that's the only are where they have similarities. Trophies, individual awards wise, Ronaldo is well behind as well.. No wonder Ronaldo's most passionate fans on this forum are Portuguese, I am not even an Argentine just like most Messi fans on this forum..

This is my final post about both players on this thread..
Christ, we get it, you want to rim Messi.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
fecking hell, is there any Ronaldo thread thats free from this Messi vs Ronaldo bs?

Looks like he will stay, he has no other option and his last hope is Atletico.

MalaysianRed7

Sadly for him, he will have to rotate with Martial this year. In fact, I’d definitely give Martial the first few Premier League games at least and Ronaldo the Europa ones, given his pre-season form and the fact that he looks to be much more suited to Ten Hag’s system in terms of pressing and movement in behind.

Hilarious that he’s even tried to whore himself to Atletico though. That’s betraying two clubs where you’re supposedly a legend simultaneously.

saik

Christ, this has slowly descended into a Ronaldo vs Messi thread again.

Status
Not open for further replies.