Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Oh, yay. It's really positive that a player who is required to return to training tomorrow is returning to training tomorrow. We're truly blessed. Thank you, Sir Ronnie of Naldo. You're too good to us.

That might sound like sarcasm but it's totally not.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Looks like Mendes couldn't pull off the impossible, so Ronaldo is back with his tail between his legs.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't know about that

In the folktale "The Emperor's New Clothes" the townsfolk (who didn't want to appear to look stupid or uneducated) the townsfolk didn't call out the fact that the king was bollok naked because the weavers had told in the court that only the wise men could see the cloth that they weave.

Everyone in the streets and the windows said, "Oh, how fine are the Emperor's new clothes! Don't they fit him to perfection? And see his long train!" Nobody would confess that he couldn't see anything, for that would prove him either unfit for his position, or a fool. No costume the Emperor had worn before was ever such a complete success.

"But he hasn't got anything on," a little child said.

"Did you ever hear such innocent prattle?" said its father. And one person whispered to another what the child had said, "He hasn't anything on. A child says he hasn't anything on."

"But he hasn't got anything on!" the whole town cried out at last.

Now in hindsight what the kid cried out in hindsight (even if he was right) was a little bit clickbaity at the time and could have generated some backlash but I'd still say he was correct to say what he felt even though it went against the grain

Yeah...but what happened here wasn't that most people flat out deluded themselves into thinking the emperor wasn't naked. It was – actually – slightly more complicated than that. So as much as I love that story and frequently use it as an analogy myself, it doesn't really work in this particular case.

For one thing, what the child claimed in this case wasn't anything new – it was a well known claim that had been made many times before (remember: people had debated Ronaldo's possible return for years before he actually did return). And – crucially – a fair amount of the people who told the kid to shut up and go home didn't actually fundamentally disagree with their claim: not necessarily, not fully, they just wanted to have a party for once (life being somewhat miserable in the land, as it were).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The fact we are briefing this nonsense is a joke. How are we openly telling the world we don’t have a clue what this guy wants to do but we hope he sides with us.

Let’s hope ETH puts some authority down on this circus.
ETH has never dealt with a player of the callbire of CR7.
If anything, it'll be CR7 who puts the manners on ETH.

I'd like CR7 to complete the following season, as he will be our best player and it may be catastrophic for ETH if CR7 leaves.

lsd

The Oracle
Our fanbase :rolleyes: No doubt there will be a mob going round to burn his house down next. How dare he have compassionate leave when he should only think of the needs of our fans bpand not his or his families.

Mainoldo

I'd like CR7 to complete the following season, as he will be our best player and it may be catastrophic for ETH if CR7 leaves.
He’s losing straight away if that’s the case. The gaffer is the gaffer and with us in a rebuild we don’t need a stature the size of CR7.

Let him ball watch with Simeone.

BarstoolProphet

Absolutely. Mike has an incredible shoe brand which means he will live on forever but basketball is a America’s based sport and a much smaller sport then futebol.

Ronaldo has a FAR bigger reach and is arguably the most popular futebol player ever especially with the social media era. You say it’s bots but having double the next person on Instagram tells me that’s bs.

Post retirement he will eclipse Beckham even more so then he does now. Who has not achieved not even 1/3 of what Ronaldo has in the Sport and is not as known.
Wow, first time I've seen anyone downplaying Jordan's legacy. "Just a shoe brand". Don't think you remember the hysteria that surrounded Michael Jordan back then, despite playing an American sport.

Ronaldo is a huge name but he has never come close to Jordan and never will. Despite playing the world's most popular sport. Ronaldo never made football popular, nor did he help the sport reach a broader audience. For that there has been too many greats on his level and there will be several that will follow him.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our fanbase :rolleyes: No doubt there will be a mob going round to burn his house down next. How dare he have compassionate leave when he should only think of the needs of our fans bpand not his or his families.
Yeah, it’s not like he’s got his super agent whoring him out to every club in world football whilst he sits at home taking no heat for it

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wow, first time I've seen anyone downplaying Jordan's legacy. "Just a shoe brand". Don't think you remember the hysteria that surrounded Michael Jordan back then, despite playing an American sport.

Ronaldo is a huge name but he has never come close to Jordan and never will. Despite playing the world's most popular sport. Ronaldo never made football popular, nor did he help the sports reach a broader audience. For that there has been to many greats on his level and there will several that will follow him.
The Jordan brand is more than a shoe anyway. It was the sponsor for PSG for a full season

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
So you think that his absence from pre-season so far has had nothing to do with him angling for a move away from United?

mu4c_20le

MJ was great but he's been surpassed by Kobe and Lebron

Rolaholic

Ronaldo is a huge name but he has never come close to Jordan and never will. Despite playing the world's most popular sport. Ronaldo never made football popular, nor did he help the sports reach a broader audience. For that there has been to many greats on his level and there will several that will follow him.
Yea that post is just as bad as the one saying he'll be forgotten in 5 years :lol:

Michael Jordan is still one of the most famous human beings on the planet. The amount of elite international NBA stars nowadays is a direct result of his exploits and helping the sport go truly global during his prime and he revolutionized the sports brand industry by paving the way for personal athlete 'brands' and for athletes to become megastars off of their image with sponsorship deals.

Ronaldo and Messi are definitely up there along with the likes of Jordan, Woods, Ali, Phelps, Pele, Maradona, Bolt as some of the most famous athletes ever but they're not towering over them like the post made it seem.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
One would hope we're not paying wages to an absentee without a good reason to be absent

BarstoolProphet

MJ was great but he's been surpassed by Kobe and Lebron
Jordan's legacy is way more than just what he did on the court even if there's also strong arguments that he's greatest for that also. LBJ has surpassed him in pretty much every metric available (apart from a perfect Finals record), yet there's still a majority that refuses to put LBJ over MJ. And I can understand it too, because Jordan made the sport popular, in a way which has never been seen before in any sport (to my limited knowledge atleast!). Don't know why you are putting Kobe over him(although a top 10 player himself), don't see that often.

BarstoolProphet

Yea that post is just as bad as the one saying he'll be forgotten in 5 years :lol:

Michael Jordan is still one of the most famous human beings on the planet. The amount of elite international NBA stars nowadays is a direct result of his exploits and helping the sport go truly global during his prime and he revolutionized the sports brand industry by paving the way for personal athlete 'brands' and for athletes to become megastars off of their image with sponsorship deals.

Ronaldo and Messi are definitely up there along with the likes of Jordan, Woods, Ali, Phelps, Pele, Maradona, Bolt as some of the most famous athletes ever but they're not towering over them like the post made it seem.
Completely agree. The backside for Ronaldo is that there has been way too many greats before him who paved the way for the sport's popularity. Jordan was first and still haven't been totally eclipsed. It's hard to measure the greats from different sports against each other but all things considered then Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete in a team sport ever for me.

Oh, and Jordan made Nike into what it is today, which Ronaldo and his likes has massively benefitted from (as you mentioned).

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Ronaldo and Messi are definitely up there along with the likes of Jordan, Woods, Ali, Phelps, Bolt as some of the most famous athletes ever but they're not towering over them like the post made it seem.
I’m sorry but Phelps has no place on your list there, and Ronaldo is far closer to him than the others. Messi was the best player on the planet for over a decade so his legacy is very interesting, because he doesn’t have the innate marketability of an Ali or a Jordan or a Woods. Bolt obviously has a long time at the top and a good level of marketability (between those 3 and Messi).

worldinmotion66

Cue a ronaldo statement this week saying that he's happy to stay and see out his contract because he likes Ten Hag's philosophy and wants to give his all for the club he loves.

MrEleson

I’m sorry but Phelps has no place on your list there, and Ronaldo is far closer to him than the others. Messi was the best player on the planet for over a decade so his legacy is very interesting, because he doesn’t have the innate marketability of an Ali or a Jordan or a Woods. Bolt obviously has a long time at the top and a good level of marketability (between those 3 and Messi).
This is all just your opinion and doesn’t come close to reflecting the truth. How can Ronaldo be much closer to phelps - who in your opinion doesn’t belong in the company of the others as far as sports icons are concerned yet you label Messi close to them. So you’re saying Messi has been a far bigger icon than Ronaldo over the past decade? That isn’t remotely true.

Go check up on who the current generation of players idolised growing up (18-21). It’s 90% Ronaldo. Mbappe, Sancho, Vlahovic, Halaand, Rodrygo, Grealish etc etc. Even guys that are now 26-29 grew up idolising him more than any other footballer. Not to mention his superior social media following.

Your loath of Ronaldo is clearly clouding judgment here.

Revaulx

Do you think EtH should be sacked if he doesn't agree?

phelans shorts

This is all just your opinion and doesn’t come close to reflecting the truth. How can Ronaldo be much closer to phelps - who in your opinion doesn’t belong in the company of the others as far as sports icons are concerned yet you label Messi closer to the others. So you’re saying Messi has been a far bigger icon than Ronaldo over the past decade? That isn’t remotely true.

Go check up on who the current generation of players idolised growing up (18-21). It’s 90% Ronaldo. Mbappe, Sancho, Vlahovic, Halaand, etc etc. Not to mention his superior social media following.

Your loath for Ronaldo is clearly clouding judgment here.
And players before grew up idolising Michele Platini and Zinedine Zidane. How’s that helped their reputation in the outside world.

I’d actually be interested in if, legacy wise, Messi even manages to live on as much as Ronaldinho despite being the far more successful player.

mshnsh

Disagree. He scored a lot of goals last season and would, I'm sure, do the same again next. Whether or not he's what we need now is up for grabs (i agree it's best to part ways) but to call last season's top scorer a huge miss is odd.
When Ruud was at United, it was a similar issue. The lack of pace upfront and needing to be fed all the time meant United lacked flexibility

Ronaldo is a huge name but he has never come close to Jordan and never will. Despite playing the world's most popular sport. Ronaldo never made football popular, nor did he help the sports reach a broader audience. For that there has been too many greats on his level and there will several that will follow him.
I agree with @SportingCP96

Beans

Supports
Neutral
What is the point in bringing up Bayern in the media, hoping their fans will put pressure on the club to sign him? Seems like a long shot.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah...but what happened here wasn't that most people flat out deluded themselves into thinking the emperor wasn't naked. It was – actually – slightly more complicated than that. So as much as I love that story and frequently use it as an analogy myself, it doesn't really work in this particular case.
I would have to say I thought there was a fair amount of mass delusion around the time he was transfered.

(Though I will accept that plenty of posters were wilfully ignorant of the knock-on effects)

And continued well into the season (the bumps on the thread when Ronaldo scored etc).

For one thing, what the child claimed in this case wasn't anything new – it was a well known claim that had been made many times before (remember: people had debated Ronaldo's possible return for years before he actually did return).
Does the claim have to be new for it to be relevant?

I thought the point was to not be afraid to speak up for what you think is right no matter what popular opinion is?

It was going against the grain on here but it wasn't "Trolling" , it was legitimate concerns of what could/would happen due to the signing.

It may have been debated before but I didn't take it as an opportunity to piss on anyone's chips, just sharing his concerns.

And – crucially – a fair amount of the people who told the kid to shut up and go home didn't actually fundamentally disagree with their claim: not necessarily, not fully, they just wanted to have a party for once (life being somewhat miserable in the land, as it were).
A fair amount did fundamentally disagree with him too.

Here's a selection the first 36/48 hours after the post.

You’d think people have watched enough football to not make awful posts like this.
Just a poacher :lol:

I can't believe anyone with any intelligence tries writing Ronaldo off as that
People who hold unpopular opinions always think they're insightful & interesting.
Should have waited 30 minutes to post this, typical knee jerk nonsense. The best player ever joining us is a mistake, yeah right, go to bed.
A truly dreadful argument. It's like this person never saw what CR7 did as an actual 9 at the Euros
Embarrassing thread. Don't blow your hate-load prematurely next time.
Some of these negative posters are just doubling down instead of accepting their mistakes
Some absolute bollocks being spouted in here
Attention seeker
Some shite in this thread. He will score goals. They will win trophies. Really that simple.
Unpopular opinion: the earth is flat.
Unpopular opinion: vaccines contain microchips that let the gov't control you.
Unpopular opinion: the CIA controls the weather.
Unpopular opinion: the moon landing was faked.
Unpopular opinion: hundreds of thousands of people conspired to steal the 2020 US election, including Republican governors, the Supreme Court, the FBI, state elections officials, poll workers, Dominion voting machines, SmartTec software, and Chinese satellites - all that together was gang-banging the election against Tr*mp, who will be reinstated as supreme leader any day now.

Like, what is the fecking point of this entire thread?
Instinctive cynicism and pessimism is also not an opinion though. It's one thing to foresee problems that might occur and discuss areas of weakness/concern (which most people share) and another to proclaim "Ronaldo will be a huge miss". Just because its unpopular doesn't mean its true or even likely. Its a possibility - where everything that could go wrong does go wrong. You might as well just say "I will have a shit day today".

The notion that United could have a thread with such a title is frankly laughable and surely only a moron would be more open to that type of thread title.
Others shared the OPs concerns and were also swarmed on.

Sure plenty of people wrote "He's not going to be the same player as he was" but they also felt he was going to score plenty of goals, unite the dressing room, be an amazing example to the younger players and be the difference maker etc etc at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.