Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not saying Richarlison as such, I'm saying we're not going to replace Ronaldo with a player that is similar to him because half the season, despite him scoring a fair amount of goals, people have spoken about how he didn't/won't fit the pressing game implemented by Rangnick/ten Hag.

We'd be better replacing him with a player who suits ten Hag's style, even if that player doesn't score as much goals.

In 11/12 season, we had Welbeck and Rooney as our main striking partnership, with Hernandez as back up. We all know Welbeck wasn't prolific - far from it, but when he played, we seemed to flow better in the final third because his link up play was exceptional. In my opinion, he made players around him better and as a result, that season we scored 89 goals - the second highest in our Premier League history.

Now, before you start all the emoji BS and say that I think we should be getting Welbeck, that's not what I'm saying. I just think we need someone who will link our attack a lot better than what Ronaldo did because when he wasn't scoring, he was pretty much useless.
I get the style over individiaul argument.
No better example than RVN being replaced by the lesser, but better for the team Saha.

But we don't have anything like Saha on the books. Martial and Rashford's stock have never been lower.

binary bot
If he wants to go, then we should get rid. Last thing ten Hag will want is a player stinking up the place.
Agreed - i hope its just for negotiations sake but if we're genuinely trying to hold onto him it's a bit worrying.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So implicit in the brief is that he did believe in the club’s direction last summer. I’m not sure I’d trust his judgement on much, if that’s the case.
There was cause for optimism last summer to be fair. We'd just finished 2nd and signed Varane and Sancho. Granted the attitude is different to those 2 players right now but 12 months ago we were buzzing.

Ted Lasso

I'm shocked a player of Ronaldo's caliber and drive to win wouldn't want to stay with us while we're in a transitionary period. Really shocked.
Just makes too much sense. And I'm sure he knows it's better for United to rebuild the team without him papering any cracks.

I'll definitely be a lot more critical if we don't sign a top potential cf now

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
When Ten Hag took over, my first thought was Ronaldo was gone. And not because it was his choice, but because whatever Ten Hag wants to build simply cannot be Ronaldo-centric.

He is a great player and a great athlete, but he absolutely cannot support a structured set-up.

I think it's damage limitation from all parties and the move is well known and in the pipeline.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Pogba? No doubt. 100% and more. Ronaldo? We’ll see if We can get replacement. We are big club and should attract players but right No it is big question mark.
I’m just amazed about wages We would get off our books. Looking at it, Ed was giving money like he was Santa.
I mean Pogba has been obvious for a while now.

I’ve thought for a while with Ronaldo that Solskjaer never really wanted him and was told to try and make it work. I know he’s scored goals but if you want to try and get a clear direction in terms of style of play under ETH then Ronaldo doesn’t feature much. I don’t think he’s a system player. I think his signing hindered some of the good work Solskjaer had done in 2020/21 as well.

OleGunnar20

Interesting suggestion that actually.
Hard working, great age to kick on, looks versatile and has shown a good eye for goal in the PL. Seems like the type of sensible transfer we need to be making at the moment.

Donny played false 9 at times for Ajax as well
Sure, good point. I remember a video (might have been tifo) where they looked at his contribution / average position during his best season at Ajax, and it was that of a shadow striker, with I think Tadic playing the flase 9 dropping in around him.

We have options for sure, beyond relying on a 37 year old prima Donna who refuses or is unable to press, brilliant player as he undoubtedly still is.

I think this could be a blessing overall, even if it leads to pain in the short term.

Teja

£25m a year is £100m over a 4 year contract. Or the same annual outlay as a £50m signing on £250k a week.
I don't really understand accounting but that seems wrong intuitively.

Doesn't Ronaldo only have a year on his contract? How can you project that 25M expense for the next four years?

Affectionate for us - didn’t love us.
One hell of a (6+1 year) ‘one night stand’.

Also, it probably helps ETH to build his team.

Thanks Ronaldo!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Hard to blame Ronaldo really. He's in the twilight of his career and the club he plays for has currently done feck all to improve the squad.

Fooza

Let Ronaldo sit on the bench and play him in the Europa, that'd be funny

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
When Ten Hag took over, my first thought was Ronaldo was gone. And not because it was his choice, but because whatever Ten Hag wants to build simply cannot be Ronaldo-centric.

He is a great player and a great athlete, but he absolutely cannot support a structured set-up.

I think it's damage limitation from all parties and the move is well known and in the pipeline.
Yeah I agree with this. The only thing that leads me to sway this isn’t the case and it’s all Ronaldo is how he’s shitting on the club by saying lack of transfers and no ambition are why he’s off. He could just say he wants CL.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It'll be Bayern, right?

Although I admit a part of me thinks it would be interesting to see him at Chelsea, if it was up to me I'd not sign off on that transfer.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I just log on here only to find this thread. Just what in the world is our clusterfeck of a football club getting into now?

The problem I have with that comparison is that we don't have a young Wayne Rooney nor a young Cristiano Ronaldo ready to explode, even less a good core of veterans like the ones we had back then. Why in the world would our younger players need to be feeling not overshadowed by someone like Ronaldo in order to perform? For the record, Rooney and Ronaldo were showing signs of being able to pick up the torch post-RVN. Who can be said to be our next leaders capable of carrying this team into the new age when they couldn't even match a 37-year-old's effort levels last season? I see none and thus I openly question their levels of commitment into the game of football.
Hardly anyone thought in 2006 that Ronaldo and Rooney would have the season they had. Carrick was also a big reason for our rise and hardly anyone thought this when he “replaced” Keane.

And the young players need a good manager rather than a professional / self-obsessive / hard working / whatever 37 year old former great next to them to perform well.

But I am really not interested in any deep or lengthy conversations about Ronaldo. Having known how he is still adored by a lot of United fans ever since 2006/07 until now nothing is going to change their opinion on Ronaldo. Even in 5 years they will be saying how we should keep him for his mentality or whatever.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't really understand accounting but that seems wrong intuitively.

Doesn't Ronaldo only have a year on his contract? How can you project that 25M expense for the next four years?
If we can afford £25m a year now, it's just assuming that we will still be able to afford it after.

Godfather

What a great idea :rolleyes:
What would you do? Let him feck off and hope for the best? I doubt we have the funds to get a striker as well this summer. Plus we did that once already and he still played well back in the days.

If however we can get a proper forward in (which I doubt) I'd have no problem letting him go.

Brophs

The One and Only
There was cause for optimism last summer to be fair. We'd just finished 2nd and signed Varane and Sancho. Granted the attitude is different to those 2 players right now but 12 months ago we were buzzing.
Ah, I’m just messing really but I think there were a lot of us who didn’t put much stock in that second place finish. I always liked this tweet re the late goals etc.

Von Mistelroum

Rashford/martial/sancho/elanga/bruno/V.DB would be the main contributers i would imagine.

Ronaldo leaving would make the budget considerably bigger aswell through a transfer fee and wages off the books.

Yeah sure they might match his contribution combined... But you kind of need that plus an actual striker in order to do well in the league.

I don't imagine that losing Ronaldo would make the Glazers pay up for a striker, and his wages. His wage won't cover both so we'll have to sacrifice other purchases.

90 + 5min

I mean Pogba has been obvious for a while now.

I’ve thought for a while with Ronaldo that Solskjaer never really wanted him and was told to try and make it work. I know he’s scored goals but if you want to try and get a clear direction in terms of style of play under ETH then Ronaldo doesn’t feature much. I don’t think he’s a system player. I think his signing hindered some of the good work Solskjaer had done in 2020/21 as well.
In one way I agree with what you say about putting back some of Solskjaer work. But I still think that when you got chance to sign him we couldn’t refuse. I still think he did very good job as a player. One of the best this year. That doesn’t say to much considering other players.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't think he's leaving this year. You never know, if somebody were to slap £30m on the table for a 37 year old we'd have to think about it but I'd say it's more likely he's just doing a bit of sabre rattling.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We are shit sporting wise and have been so for a minute. Him being old seemingly doesn’t prevent him from having suitors he believes are better equipped to win. Career of a footballer is a short one, and his is in its last act. Again, as fans we advocate for United to do what’s best for United on a daily basis and every transfer window. These players get discarded the moment their form drops, etc. Begruding them for doing the same is just a comical exercise to me.

Not as fun when the rabbit has the gun, eh? Or however that saying goes.

The game is the game.
And two fingers up to people who want out of your club is a old cherished part of it.

Idxomer

This isn’t just aimed at you but I will say this, saying “yes he’s free to leave!” Would be an awful move. You have to make statements like this otherwise the fee you would receive from him would drop.
I agree in general but have a feeling that they aren't ready for the fallout from fans and implications of having someone like Ronaldo jumping ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.