Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGame

I take all of these tweets with a pinch of salt while others round here treat them as gospel. I do think he needs to leave though. He isn't going to suit ETH's style and we need to move forward to getting a settled team and squad in place.

phelans shorts

We were told the same thing about Pogba leaving. It won't change anything. It's the overall culture of the club

Shit players on huge wages who don't try and then it spreads through the club

If I were taking over as United manager today I would tell the club don't even worry about transfers in yet. I'd strip the club right down and build from a solid base. How the likes of Phil Jones are still picking up over £100,000 per week is laughable.
Anyone who thought that about Pogba is pretty daft. Pogba is someone who you never hear a bad word said about from those who work/have worked with him. It’s fans who decided he was the issue despite all evidence. Hell even last season there was all that talk of Ronaldo trying to lead a coup over Maguire and Pogba being the major calming influence.

Also not sure how you’ve wrangled this into taking digs at Phil Jones who’s never given anything but his all (and has even destroyed his knee doing so). Hell I’d wager a squad of Phil Jones’ would perform to a significantly higher standard than a squad of Ronaldo’s were they fit.

Rex Banner

Most logical move now is surely Morata on loan to us and Ronaldo on loan to Atletico?

CM

I take all of these tweets with a pinch of salt while others round here treat them as gospel. I do think he needs to leave though. He isn't going to suit ETH's style and we need to move forward to getting a settled team and squad in place.
Well The Athletic are well sourced on stories like these and it fits in exactly with what his behaviour has been like all summer, on and off the pitch.

It''s a blessing in some ways, mind. It was the only way we were going to cut ties with Ronaldo and he's not fit for purpose.

RedMilo

Most logical move now is surely Morata on loan to us and Ronaldo on loan to Atletico?
The only issue I see with that is CR7's huge £500k per week salary, no way will Atletico cover it all, and Utd looking at it from a commercial perspective, won't see the value of covering some of his wages, if they are not getting the benefit of Ronaldo 'the brand'

It's a messy one. I suspect a mutual termination, with CR7 will be the only workable way. Then we could keep the Morata seperate, if it is indeed Morata, we seem to be getting more linked with this Raul De Tomas guy now..

Mmm-Qatarian

I wholeheartedly believe that Ronaldo more than any single other person is responsible for the dire state of the dressing room. There was talk of cliques existing prior to his arrival last season but it seemed quite harmonious until this princess arrived. I'm just fed up of it.

Signing Ronaldo was the worst thing that happened to this club in the Solskjaer era. Completely wrecked the playing style we had which, whilst admittedly limited, was at least capable of producing regular Champions League football. Torpedoed the harmony of the dressing room. Regularly acts like a diva, and all to the tune of 650k a week. What a complete waste of time and money.

phelans shorts

The only issue I see with that is CR7's huge £500k per week salary, no way will Atletico cover it all, and Utd looking at it from a commercial perspective, won't see the value of covering some of his wages, if they are not getting the benefit of Ronaldo 'the brand'

It's a messy one. I suspect a mutual termination, with CR7 will be the only workable way. Then we could keep the Morata seperate, if it is indeed Morata, we seem to be getting more linked with this Raul De Tomas guy now..
I wouldn’t rule Chelsea out yet. Boehly appears to be getting a bit trigger happy, and hearing all these pundits say they need a goal scorer could well push him to overrule Tuchel and bite the bullet.

Thiagoal

I think every single one of our fans would have predicted such a meltdown as soon as he said that he wanted to leave. I find it amazing that anyone inside the club thought it’d be a good idea to keep such a prima donna against his wishes. Poor management

RedMilo

I wouldn’t rule Chelsea out yet. Boehly appears to be getting a bit trigger happy, and hearing all these pundits say they need a goal scorer could well push him to overrule Tuchel and bite the bullet.
Agreed. That is probably why we haven't agreed to a mutual termination, because he is then free to go to a direct rival.

I think he would do well at Chelsea, they have two good full backs, bombing forward unlike ourselves, so he will get service into him, which he needs, as we know he ain't going to press like mad, or run into the channels like a younger version did.

::sonny::

Agreed. That is probably why we haven't agreed to a mutual termination, because he is then free to go to a direct rival.

I think he would do well at Chelsea, they have two good full backs, bombing forward unlike ourselves, so he will get service into him, which he needs, as we know he ain't going to press like mad, or run into the channels like a younger version did.
Chelsea would take him for free, but they are not a direct rival

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's funny how when we first signed him he immediately made Newcastle shat the bed, almost as if we were gonna be a proper club. And now... we're here.

CM

It's funny how when we first signed him he immediately made Newcastle shat the bed, almost as if we were gonna be a proper club. And now... we're here.
Newcastle were terrible at that point in time. Bruce was still there and they'd barely spent any money on that team. Even then it was only moments, it wasn't as though he gave them a torrid time all game.

It was always a fantasy expecting bringing Ronaldo back would end well. We didn't even really need a striker when we signed him (we do now) but we neglected other positions of need - most notably the midfield, to facilitate that signing. It was definitely a Glazer sign off. They saw the commercial appeal of a signing like that and their eyes lit up. I remember we'd been linked with a midfielder all summer to no avail, then Ronaldo was made available and it was all done within a couple of days.

dubplate warrior

Anyone who thought that about Pogba is pretty daft. Pogba is someone who you never hear a bad word said about from those who work/have worked with him. It’s fans who decided he was the issue despite all evidence. Hell even last season there was all that talk of Ronaldo trying to lead a coup over Maguire and Pogba being the major calming influence.

Also not sure how you’ve wrangled this into taking digs at Phil Jones who’s never given anything but his all (and has even destroyed his knee doing so). Hell I’d wager a squad of Phil Jones’ would perform to a significantly higher standard than a squad of Ronaldo’s were they fit.
Phil Jones doesn't deserve any fans respect. He rejects moves away from the club which provide an attempt for him to revive his career whilst taking up space on our wage budget. He is entitled to do that but then whines like a little bitch when Rio called it out on his podcast? He can do one.

NotQuiteManc

In this instances, is this news considered "leaks" by someone in the club or otherwise? First, the extra training and now CR supposed loner type of behaviour.

largelyworried

Think he's best off going. While I'd rather he knuckled down and got on with the job at hand, being pragmatic about it, his head isn't in this rebuild and I see little advantage to the club in keeping him here. If nothing else Id like to hear about something else in the pressers...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He is a problem but I don't want us getting distracted from the shit the other players have been serving up for ages. I don't care if they don't like him, we've had players for us in the past who disliked each other but still didn't put in the disgusting performances that we're seeing on the pitch. I don't care if they don't like him and want to wallow in their mediocrity, they all collectively shouldn't be putting in consecutive shit performances. That's an insult to the fans and club. Plus they are paid a lot of money.

It's insulting that we're using this as a distraction.

This doesn't excuse Cristiano, and he needs to find someone to take him off our hands, but I'm upset it seems the narrative is that he's the biggest problem.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's our best goalscorer, but not our best striker because he still can't play the position at this level.
None of our other forwards could play the position at this level to be fair. Hence he is still our best striker.

Jazz

I'm getting to the point where if Atleti offer us Morata and Lemar for Ronaldo I'd take it. :lol:
Yeah send him there. The problem is we would have to subsidise his wages for no return. Atleti can surely pay him something but the bulk of it would come from us. Something has to give here.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Newcastle were terrible at that point in time. Bruce was still there and they'd barely spent any money on that team. Even then it was only moments, it wasn't as though he gave them a torrid time all game.

It was always a fantasy expecting bringing Ronaldo back would end well. We didn't even really need a striker when we signed him (we do now) but we neglected other positions of need - most notably the midfield, to facilitate that signing. It was definitely a Glazer sign off. They saw the commercial appeal of a signing like that and their eyes lit up. I remember we'd been linked with a midfielder all summer to no avail, then Ronaldo was made available and it was all done within a couple of days.
I agree but he really lifted up the team spirit. The usually selfish players passing to him was a sight to see.
But fast forward one year later and he's now the enemy. All because he doesn't get to play in CL. What a baby.

AndySmith1990

Yeah send him there. The problem is we would have to subsidise his wages for no return. Atleti can surely pay him something but the bulk of it would come from us. Something has to give here.
If he wants to leave that badly he can forfeit the difference in wages. United certainly shouldn't be losing out financially from hi departure

mctrials23

I'm getting to the point where I would happily leave him to rot for a year. Pay him his wages and ban him from training with the first team but make him train every damn session with the reserves so he doesn't just feck off to Portugal. If he wants to leave that much then he needs to make the required sacrifices and stop behaving like a child.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm getting to the point where I would happily leave him to rot for a year. Pay him his wages and ban him from training with the first team but make him train every damn session with the reserves so he doesn't just feck off to Portugal. If he wants to leave that much then he needs to make the required sacrifices and stop behaving like a child.
Why poison the reserves? He needs to be nowhere near the club.

Jazz

If he wants to leave that badly he can forfeit the difference in wages. United certainly shouldn't be losing out financially from hi departure
That's what I want as well. He can't have everything. They need to get his agent to talk to him and get an agreement.

Just give him a choice, under 23s for the rest of the season plus in a World Cup year, or forfeiting the difference in wages and getting your move.

mctrials23

Why poison the reserves? He needs to be nowhere near the club.
I did consider that but he doesn't actually have to take part. He can just sit there and look sullen. I was thinking that there is probably little you can do to avoid just giving him a really well paid vacation year if you aren't getting him to train. I doubt you could stop him leaving to go to Portugal for the year if you aren't requiring any duties from him.

Jazz

I did consider that but he doesn't actually have to take part. He can just sit there and look sullen. I was thinking that there is probably little you can do to avoid just giving him a really well paid vacation year if you aren't getting him to train. I doubt you could stop him leaving to go to Portugal for the year if you aren't requiring any duties from him.
Then let him go to Portugal in a World Cup year and waste the short time he has left as a professional. That's up to him. Either he forfeits the difference in wages as suggested by the poster above, or he sits at home for the year. Just give him the option. I think he would reluctantly take the former but at least it would be better than sitting on his ass all year.

Red Ten

Just terminate his contract and let him go, he won’t be missed.
This.
It's so effin simple. Just agree with him to terminate.
Trouble is there is no-one in the building who knows how to make this happen.

In Rainbows

We were pretty awful in our pressing game with him starting. If he's a big source of that trouble, then we really need to make him leave. If it wasn't obvious already.

Red_toad

Complete swap deal would be better, Ronnie does not want to be here at all and needs to be gone by whatever means necessary, I honestly wouldn’t care if he went to City. I completely understand why he wants to go, but not enjoying his demeanour and behaviour over the last few months trying to get his wish.

joedirt87

At this point paying someone to take him for the year would be better than having him staying. Attitude swill lift when he's gone. Send Bruno with him too and they can sulk together elsewhere.

bakalhau

Everyone will only see the bad side in this, seems to be the norm nowadays, although Ronaldo hasn't made it easy on himself of course, and no one will think 2 steps ahead about this tweet and see that maybe he's arguing against it because whenever he tries to lead the press their teammates just stand there watching him run alone at someone, and obviously there's no point in attempting a high pressing system if when he starts to press no one follows him.

Everyone mentions him shaking his head after the 0-4 but everyone seemingly forgot how he really, really tried rallying his teammates after the 0-1 and 0-2. Even tried rallying everyone by saying they only needed one goal to get back into the game, and we all know how that went afterwards.

No one cares about Ronaldo having to drop back almost right into the midfield line to get a pass in the 63rd minute, only to immediately dash forward with pace, lay the ball to someone else, and run again into space to create a passing line, after their teammates were passing sideways for 40 seconds in the midfield line while losing 0-4 to fecking Brentford. While everyone had given up last weekend, Ronaldo was mad at himself for missing 2 headers in the 2nd half, knowing he could've done better with both of those, and clearly in discontent with himself because that's the standard he has. He has a sense of pride, self awareness, and feels ashamed to be a part of this circus (and he is a part of this circus, no way around that), but has the mentality to try what he can to dig himself and the team out of it, regardless of whether it works or not by the end of the game.

People are more emotionally invested in someone who doesn't want to be here but has good reasons not to want to, after consistently giving match winning goals and points all of last season, consistently making up with goals for the same kind of personal and defensive mistakes we saw last weekend, and not seeing an ounce of pride of desire in most their teammates to even attempt a top 4 finish while he kept scoring against Tottenham, Norwich, Arsenal trying to achieve the bare minimum for United standards. Ronaldo had a bad game this weekend, but if anyone had the United DNA in that pitch it was him. And that's while he's unhappy at the club. I didn't see the captain Maguire rallying his troops like the unhappy Ronaldo tried. I barely saw anyone caring in the 2nd half to get a goal back or two, even if just for their own self pride.

There's only so much a guy like Ronaldo can take. Like him or not, he achieved what he did in football because of his brain, and most their teammates are nowhere near the basic level of what it takes to be a successful footballer (and I'm not talking techncal ability). I don't think he's ever gone through a situation like this, and I think it's clear he's struggling a bit on the emotional side, and that's leading him to making some mistakes like not going to the fans and apologising. He's not been perfect in the last 3 months, surely, but there's bigger problems in the squad and he's still soaking up pressure from the media and the fans because the spotlight is always on him, and whenever things get back to a smidge of normality, he'll continue to protect everyone else around him like always by scoring match winning goals, producing the goods, many times tapering mistakes in the otjer side of the field.

Again, I reiterate he's not perfect, and I think he's not been at his best emotionally and in some attitudes lately, but we're at a crossroads, a big one, for the club, and not a single one of our players has been perfect in terms of attitude. I look at some mistakes Ronaldo has made lately, but look to him on the pitch and I see a United player. Almost everyone else, I see a lot of good vibes, a lot of happiness, and a big bunch of empty souls on the field whenever things take the wrong turn. No one has been perfect lately, including him, but if I had to side with someone, I'd side with Ronaldo.

Ted Lasso

I wholeheartedly believe that Ronaldo more than any single other person is responsible for the dire state of the dressing room. There was talk of cliques existing prior to his arrival last season but it seemed quite harmonious until this princess arrived. I'm just fed up of it.
You're wrong about that but regardless, Ronaldo should have been allowed to leave in the summer. getting yourself worked up over it is a waste. It's the Glazers who you should be fed up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.