Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernsoul74

Why wait two weeks?
Because that’s when the window shuts from when he said it. If he hasn’t moved it will be damage limitation words about how he never wanted to leave. If he manages to get out before then it will be pr spin about how he was completely professional but a mutual decision was reached with the club and so on.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Okay, so Ronaldo wants to play in CL. These are the clubs which participate this year:

ENG: Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham
ESP: Atlético, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla
GER: Bayern, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Leipzig, Leverkusen
ITA: Inter, Juventus, Milan, Napoli
POR
: Benfica, Porto, Sporting CP
FRA
: Marseille, Paris
AUT
: Salzburg
BEL: Club Brugge
CZE: Viktoria Plzeň
ISR: Maccabi Haifa
NED: Ajax
SCO: Celtic
UKR: Shakhtar Donetsk

Clubs in bold are the ones which have had some contact or allegations over his transfer to their club.

He wants to play, not to sit on the bench, right?

Chelsea is an option as they don't have a striker (yet) but Auba is very close. So, is Chelsea an option? Currently No.

Atletico is an option, but these stories have died down. Maybe there is sth going on and we are arranging a potential swap with their young striker or somebody else? Maybe.

Bayern is dead. No.

Napoli was interested, but they have Osimhen and Ronaldo would distrupt the perfect league start. Is ADL that stupid to still buy Ronaldo for fame? Yes. Would he start instead Osimhen? No.

Sporting has always been an option. If Ronaldo understands his days in the top flight are over and it's totally okay to score 30+ goals in Portugal, then this is a realistic transfer. He'll take a pay cut or wants to buy some shares in the club (or whatever, it's his boyhood club). Can it happen? Yes.

So, if Milik from Marseille goes to Juve, they need a striker. Do they have enough money to pay for his wages? No.

PSG would have been an option, but their new sporting director seems smart and he'd just be a surplus for this attack. If I were the owner of the club, I'd sign Ronaldo because then you can show the world that here's a team with to 21st century GOAT's. And that'd be a huge statement and outrageous marketability for the club. But director is smart. So, is it an option still? Maybe.

TLDR: We have some options and there are clubs that he'd be interested to play for, but wages or abundance of attacking quality would be an issue. So let's see, maybe we'll have a deadline day bomb ready for explosion.

Phil Osophy

TLDR: We have some options and there are clubs that he'd be interested to play for, but wages or abundance of attacking quality would be an issue. So let's see, maybe we'll have a deadline day bomb ready for explosion.
That's an interesting summary.

Just a question (as I see you support Napoli), can you see your manager switching the formation to play with 2 up front? It seems Ronaldo suggested that change here around mid season as he doesn't like to play as a lonely 9, and surely he benefits more by playing behind a striker than leading the line alone.

On paper, Osimhen could be the player dealing with CBs with Ronaldo attacking the box from behind. But I don't know if the rest of pieces could be adjusted around this, or it could lead to a mess by forcing players in roles they can't play, and so on.

I've read at times how Napoli or any other team doesn't need him, but this is like buying a Rolex or some expensive car. We don't need to spend 6K to check the time but for some people it's cool to have that luxury, and that's probably the only market Ronaldo has now. Someone attracted by landing one of the football greats and boosting their commercial side.

Wezzaldo

Ronaldo is never going to mutually terminate. Would you earning £420k a week? The issue is he wants to leave but being paid similar wages. He obviously isn’t that desperate to leave then!
Give him the option making it clear that he will be a back up if he stays. Balls in his court then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ronaldo is never going to mutually terminate. Would you earning £420k a week? The issue is he wants to leave but being paid similar wages. He obviously isn’t that desperate to leave then!
He's worth half a billion and earns $1m per Instagram advert he does, so 420k a week isn't much of a loss for him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Okay, so Ronaldo wants to play in CL. These are the clubs which participate this year:

POR
FRA
AUT

Clubs in bold are the ones which have had some contact or allegations over his transfer to their club.

Chelsea is an option as they don't have a striker (yet) but Auba is very close. So, is Chelsea an option? Currently No.

Atletico is an option, but these stories have died down. Maybe there is sth going on and we are arranging a potential swap with their young striker or somebody else? Maybe.

Bayern is dead. No.

Napoli was interested, but they have Osimhen and Ronaldo would distrupt the perfect league start. Is ADL that stupid to still buy Ronaldo for fame? Yes. Would he start instead Osimhen? No.

Sporting has always been an option. If Ronaldo understands his days in the top flight are over and it's totally okay to score 30+ goals in Portugal, then this is a realistic transfer. He'll take a pay cut or wants to buy some shares in the club (or whatever, it's his boyhood club). Can it happen? Yes.

So, if Milik from Marseille goes to Juve, they need a striker. Do they have enough money to pay for his wages? No.

PSG would have been an option, but their new sporting director seems smart and he'd just be a surplus for this attack. If I were the owner of the club, I'd sign Ronaldo because then you can show the world that here's a team with to 21st century GOAT's. And that'd be a huge statement and outrageous marketability for the club. But director is smart. So, is it an option still? Maybe.

PSG, Marseille, Sporting are not realistic options at all. Atletico , Napoli and Milan ?

hazldinho

Have the strong feeling we have an agreement in place with Ronaldo that once we sign his replacement (Anthony or Gakpo) he will be granted a loan until January with Sporting which can be extended to the summer should they progress to the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Further to this I reckon there will be an agreement to extend his contract to finish at United next season under the condition we are in the Champions League. In regards to wages, I reckon a mixture of Sporting taking on a share, Ronaldo forgoing a share and United paying the rest but maintainiing image rights or some sort of commercial aspect to keep the moneymen happy.

Overall this is probably a good fit as we really don't need a sulking Ronaldo on 500K per week causing trouble and the man is possibly the greatest player of all time with a legacy which could still possibly be kept in tact.

My obvious preference would be that Ronaldo settles down and fulfills the role we need from him which is to lead the younger players and score important goals in a squad rotation role but I just can't see his ego allowing him to drop out of the Champions League without a fight.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Have the strong feeling we have an agreement in place with Ronaldo that once we sign his replacement (Anthony or Gakpo) he will be granted a loan until January with Sporting which can be extended to the summer should they progress to the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Further to this I reckon there will be an agreement to extend his contract to finish at United next season under the condition we are in the Champions League. In regards to wages, I reckon a mixture of Sporting taking on a share, Ronaldo forgoing a share and United paying the rest but maintainiing image rights or some sort of commercial aspect to keep the moneymen happy.

Overall this is probably a good fit as we really don't need a sulking Ronaldo on 500K per week causing trouble and the man is possibly the greatest player of all time with a legacy which could still possibly be kept in tact.

My obvious preference would be that Ronaldo settles down and fulfills the role we need from him which is to lead the younger players and score important goals in a squad rotation role but I just can't see his ego allowing him to drop out of the Champions League without a fight.
If he leaves, it would make sense to dangle a loan for Ajax to sweeten the pot for more favorable numbers on the Antony deal.

DutchCruijff

I was going to dismiss this but it seems a viable and healthy option.

It's 2 1/2 months only - he can return when the World Cup is done with.

Gets to play UCL football and at a former club of his. We get him back when he's actually fully (match) fit and not missed a pre season

Some sort of an arrangement does feel like it's in place and it doesn't feel permanent otherwise Ten Hag wouldn't be going on about his presence being needed.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If Ronaldo reduced his wage by half, would Bayern want to take a risk?
They will win Bundesliga comfortably with or without him anyway, I don't see why not.
Already have 8 really good players for 4 attacking positions in a well functioning team. Why would they risk taking him?

Sara125

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you Sonja by any chance? The similarity in your posting style and your complete, unapologetic devotion to this one specific player is uncanny
I don’t even know who that is. Also I don’t mindlessly defend Ronaldo at all costs, I agree that he has been nothing but toxic this summer. Doesn’t take away from the fact that he has the ability to bail us out when necessary (thankfully on Monday it wasn’t necessary)

phelans shorts

No it isn't. Every club could do with his goals. Its the fact that he's 38 and on astronomical wages that is the issue. We can afford it - with the possible exceptions of City or PSG, most others can't.
If he was good enough, loads of clubs could find that money. They don’t want to, because he isn’t.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he was good enough, loads of clubs could find that money. They don’t want to, because he isn’t.
Really ? Who has half a million a week to pay to a player in their prime, much less at 38 ?

He's clearly good enough. People are just getting hysterical because he wants to leave (sour grapes).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No it isn't. Every club could do with his goals. Its the fact that he's 38 and on astronomical wages that is the issue. We can afford it - with the possible exceptions of City or PSG, most others can't.
It's the fact he's Cristiano Ronaldo. Big teams already have either better players or a settled team with good harmony. For the former he's pointless, for the latter he's a risk which he's no longer good enough to be worth it. Throw in the wages and his age, and that is why nobody wants him

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's the fact he's Cristiano Ronaldo. Big teams already have either better players or a settled team with good harmony. For the former he's pointless, for the latter he's a risk which he's no longer good enough to be worth it. Throw in the wages and his age, and that is why nobody wants him
That was my point. Its not his ability, as he clearly demonstrated he can score a lot of goals in a terrible team last year. He's hard to move because no one can afford his wages and he has no historical connection to most other clubs.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Would be funny if we kept him as a back up and he only played the Europa games.

Huddsred

I guess he's just going to have to deal with the fact that he's staying at United for another season and is now a squad player due to the way ETH plays. I'm sure his £500,000 per week wages will help ease the blow to his ego though...

Boondog

His ego factors in too I think. He is undoubtedly not happy sitting, being subbed, etc. At some point that is something he will need to get past, and I think he is in the process of learning that.

This team could use his leadership and goals. But I believe the above won't happen until he has all his options telling him the same thing. And even then he may just punch out vice accepting that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
His ego factors in too I think. He is undoubtedly not happy sitting, being subbed, etc. At some point that is something he will need to get past, and I think he is in the process of learning that.

This team could use his leadership and goals. But I believe the above won't happen until he has all his options telling him the same thing. And even then he may just punch out vice accepting that.
The other side of the coin is that we currently don't have the ability to make up for his lost goals. Rashford, Sancho, Martial, and Elanga aren't going to get us to the CL through their goal production (nor will buying Antony). We need someone who can knock in 25 or more goals to elevate us into the top 4.

Welbeckham

It’s obvious that he’s not good enough for the biggest clubs and too expensive for others. He will stay and remain a hindrance.

fallengt

Already have 8 really good players for 4 attacking positions in a well functioning team. Why would they risk taking him?
For Instagram posts and Tiktok highlights? Just start him once a week who cares. The exposure would be still massive. I bet this was Ed Woodward 's wet dream.

I'm no social media expert but Interaction probably reached new high when United signed Ronaldo. We turned into shit after but the point being the potential to polish club's brand is there. United's in no position to afford that but BM can

Last edited:

scottser

POR
FRA
AUT

Bayern is dead. No.

now, i for one would LOVE to see him play for celtic.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah!
For Instagram posts and Tiktok highlights? Just start him once a week who cares. The exposure would be still massive. I bet this was Ed Woodward 's wet dream.

United's in no position to afford that but BM can
Haha! Nagelsmann and the other players would just love that.

Boondog

The other side of the coin is that we currently don't have the ability to make up for his lost goals. Rashford, Sancho, Martial, and Elanga aren't going to get us to the CL through their goal production (nor will buying Antony). We need someone who can knock in 25 or more goals to elevate us into the top 4.
No doubt. And I don't know that they can find those goals in one player at this point. Might need to find those goals among the young players subbing around the core guys. And if they improve in goals against that's another way of chipping away at the lost goals.

Ah well. For myself being a big fan of Christiano I wish he would have fully bought in to this new manager. He could have been fantastic as a benevolent veteran helping rebuild this team as capo but the guy is more focused on his legacy and records and chasing Messi. Which I fully understand by the way. I don't fault him and wish him the best but as a fan of the team it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.