Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So, why did he not play him on monday? In *that* game of the year?
Lack of previous training/playing time ? He didn't have much of a preseason did he.

A more important question is "If he is unwanted at United, why hasn't the club released him from his contract"?

The answer is pretty clear - we want him to stay because he's under contract and ETH understands how much he can contribute.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Lack of previous training/playing time ? He didn't have much of a preseason did he.

A more important question is "If he is unwanted at United, why hasn't the club released him from his contract"?

The answer is pretty clear - we want him to stay because he's under contract and ETH understands how much he can contribute.
He’s on over £500k a week. It would cost a bomb to release him from his contract.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s an open secret that Ronaldo has said he would reduce his wage drastically should the right club come in for him. The fact that we’re less than a week from the end of the window and the most noise is around Marseille says it all. No progressive footballing side will touch him with a barge pole. We only did because we’re nostalgia / throwback / sentimental FC.
These are media rumors by internet journos seeking to drive content. We actually don't know whether any of that is true or not.

Tallis

If he can put his ego side and make peace with being dropped and rested now and then, I don’t have issues with him staying. He will contribute goals and against certain teams, we’re going to need him. In my opinion, both Shaw and Maguire need to be disposed off much more than Ronaldo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He’s on over £500k a week. It would cost a bomb to release him from his contract.
Which is why we signed him for two years. We wanted him here for that period. The club won't move him unless he explicitly forces a move, at which point there will be action.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
These are media rumors by internet journos seeking to drive content. We actually don't know whether any of that is true or not.
Not in this instance. There’s been plenty of noise around Ronaldo and his lack of a future at the club.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Which is why we signed him for two years. We wanted him here for that period. The club won't move him unless he explicitly forces a move, at which point there will be action.
We signed him in what was a vanity Ed Woodward signing. Short term thinking and with generating sales, clicks, interactions more than following a footballing strategy and plan. And we’re now suffering for it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We signed him in what was a vanity Ed Woodward signing. Short term thinking and with generating sales, clicks, interactions more than following a footballing strategy and plan. And we’re now suffering for it.
We're not suffering at all. If he stays we have another great player who can contribute to getting us top 4. If he leaves, those chances go down significantly because we don't have the goals to get us there.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Noise is noise. There's no evidence that this is true, although I'm sure some have presumed it to be because it suits their narrative on Ronaldo.
Noise usually means something, especially in footballing circles. There’s noise around Antony and Gakpo although nothing official. What does that tell you?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Noise usually means something, especially in footballing circles. There’s noise around Antony and Gakpo although nothing official. What does that tell you?
Actually noise usually means something is an unconfirmed rumor. Like most transfer tweets - 90% are complete nonsense to drive clicks to twitter feeds.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
We're not suffering at all. If he stays we have another great player who can contribute to getting us top 4. If he leaves, those chances go down significantly because we don't have the goals to get us there.
That’s nonsense. Last season was statistically the worst season we’ve ever had in the PL era. The squad, morale, and atmosphere was the worst it’s ever been. That has rolled over to this season too. EtH has gone some way in repairing it but the sooner Ronaldo is gone the better.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Actually noise usually means something is an unconfirmed rumor. Like most transfer tweets - 90% are complete nonsense to drive clicks to twitter feeds.
Some are, but the ones that have mentioned Ronaldo specifically have been, generally, tier 1 in terms of reliability and veracity.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That’s nonsense. Last season was statistically the worst season we’ve ever had in the PL era. The squad, morale, and atmosphere was the worst it’s ever been. That has rolled over to this season too. EtH has gone some way in repairing it but the sooner Ronaldo is gone the better.
We had two shit managers who couldn't galvanize our players to perform up to expectation. Not Ronaldo's fault. Nice try though.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
We had two shit managers who couldn't galvanize our players to perform up to expectation. Not Ronaldo's fault. Nice try though.
It’s not Ronaldo’s fault entirely but he’s definitely a contributing factor (a large one imo). A player with his ego would inevitably upset the balance in a squad. Additionally it has a detrimental effect on our approach play. He had a similar impact at Juve when he was there. They went from winning league title after league title to not winning any in his last two seasons there. We went from 2nd and an EL final to 6th and our worst season statistically. You do the math.

Thiagoal

Makes awful sense.

They're not guaranteed UCL football next season, likely a UCL Group Stage exit, paycut AND have to see PSG & Messi destroy the league he is in. Losing the league to Messi isn't ideal.
I disagree! Marseille have a decent team and he’ll massage his scoring stats nicely- probably pick up another two or three Champions League goals to put Messi to bed!

I think he’s burnt his bridges so much with us now he’ll be desperate to find a way out- he’ll be realistic enough to know his days of playing for a Champions League contender are gone!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s not Ronaldo’s fault entirely but he’s definitely a contributing factor (a large one imo). A player with his ego would inevitably upset the balance in a squad. Additionally it has a detrimental effect on our approach play. He had a similar impact at Juve when he was there. They went from winning league title after league title to not winning any in his last two seasons there. We went from 2nd and an EL final to 6th and our worst season statistically. You do the math.
That may be your opinion, but there's no evidence of it. The player who even in his older age was one of our top performers isn't the problem. Having terrible managers who spent the year drowning in their own incompetence was what defined our season last year.

Pavl3n

7 days to go. I really hope he tricks someone into taking him. We'd be miles better without him.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Your manager told the media why

How about - your owners, who tend to view their business´through the commercial lens, fear for lower revenues, as they might have struck commercial deals where having Ronaldo was used to get a better bargain. I have no doubts the Glazers would sleep a lot better with Ronaldo being an undisputed starter. I also believe EtH would love to have a player like him available as some kind of impact sub, but we all know how realistic that is. Bottom line his playing style, his non-commitment to doing some actual work on the field is an anathema to any squad that wants to play modern football at the highest level. That is why your most successful striker was benched in such a high stakes game.
So your owners most likely want to keep him, your manager most likely wants to get rid of him, the player in discussion absofeckinglutely wants to leave, and nobody wants to buy him. It's a fascinating conundrum for sure.

The Firestarter

That may be your opinion, but there's no evidence of it. The player who even in his older age was one of our top performers isn't the problem. Having terrible managers who spent the year drowning in their own incompetence was what defined our season last year.
He is a problem now because he doesn't press. We need a completely different style of play to integrate him, and EtH is not going to do that. It's quite simple really.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
No, there’s plenty of evidence. Ronaldo was in the bottom quadrant in terms of final third pressures, running distance, sprints, and ball carrying for last season. He might have scored goals but goals scored is too basic and unintelligent of a way to judge a player’s worth to a team. Especially for a team wanting to play a certain way, which Ronaldo is incapable of.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, there’s plenty of evidence. Ronaldo was in the bottom quadrant in terms of final third pressures, running distance, sprints, and ball carrying for last season. He might have scored goals but goals scored is too basic and unintelligent of a way to judge a player’s worth to a team. Especially for a team wanting to play a certain way, which Ronaldo is incapable of.
Then surely ETH would be trying to sell him or move him on in some way, and yet he hasn't. In fact he's continually reinforced his view that Ronaldo is part of his plans because he's Ronaldo (which is self-explanatory). Therefore your hypothesis seems to run into the inconvenient fact that the manager has wanted him here from the beginning (which in this case isn't a rumor, there are plenty of actual on camera quotes from ETH on this topic).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He is a problem now because he doesn't press. We need a completely different style of play to integrate him, and EtH is not going to do that. It's quite simple really.
He's capable of pressing. Further, I don't think that will be the foremost thing on the manager's mind. He will look at the goals he needs to actually improve our table position and get us into the CL. Having the greatest CL player of all time is a benefit not an impediment in this regard.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
If he wants to be released we can cancel the contract with both sides agreement no?

I really can't see him staying for the season. Someone surely is desperate, or at least wants to sell some shirts?
Yea, mutual termination seems the best approach. I think by Ronaldo hanging on it means he can get close to the £500k mark at his new club (or he’ll still get £500k if he stays). If he’s a free agent, there won’t be a lot of clubs lining up to get anywhere near that.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Then surely ETH would be trying to sell him or move him on in some way, and yet he hasn't. In fact he's continually reinforced his view that Ronaldo is part of his plans because he's Ronaldo (which is self-explanatory). Therefore your hypothesis seems to run into the inconvenient fact that the manager has wanted him here from the beginning (which in this case isn't a rumor, there are plenty of actual on camera quotes from ETH on this topic).
Managers say plenty of things to the cameras that are at odds with what happens behind the scenes. When Real Madrid came for Ronaldo, Fergie said he wouldn’t sell them a virus. Can you guess what happened next?

The Firestarter

He's capable of pressing. Further, I don't think that will be the foremost thing on the manager's mind. He will look at the goals he needs to actually improve our table position and get us into the CL. Having the greatest CL player of all time is a benefit not an impediment in this regard.
One pressing per game is not capable of pressing. I hope you really don't believe that Ronaldo is going to press with the intensity the team used on Monday. And yes, it is the foremost thing on his mind since that how he views playing the game of football. I think you have not yet come to terms that Ronaldo is not what he used to be.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
So that definitely didn't happen :D
I think he would had scored a lot of those chances and is better than the likes of Rashford despite being older. Then it was a good win for the team, they could be more clinical but this should help to boost the confidence and morale of the team. If there are more reliable options aside from Ronaldo then it makes easier to bench him, allow him to rest and not being overdependent on him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Managers say plenty of things to the cameras that are at odds with what happens behind the scenes. When Real Madrid came for Ronaldo, Fergie said he wouldn’t sell them a virus. Can you guess what happened next?
I'd say a manager going on public record about a topic is far more informative than internet rumors by people who gossip for a living. If Ronaldo wanted to leave and ETH thought he was surplus to requirements, then the contract would've been terminated weeks ago.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One pressing per game is not capable of pressing. I hope you really don't believe that Ronaldo is going to press with the intensity the team used on Monday. And yes, it is the foremost thing on his mind since that how he views playing the game of football. I think you have not yet come to terms that Ronaldo is not what he used to be.
The intensity of Monday did not exist in the previous two games where Ronaldo wasn't (or was barely) involved either. So we can say that it was a team effort and not the addition or subtraction of one player into the lineup.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
That's quite a drop for the GOAT, even though United aren't playing in the champions league. Lots of people are going to be happy and tell him to feck off but it seems a bit sad from every angle really. Would it really have been so hard to knuckle down at United for one more year? Did you have to act like a brat in the summer? It's all a bit disappointing.

Couldn’t agree more. Such a shame he’s let himself and the club down badly, now there is a certain resignation to him leaving and it seems that is now sadly best for all involved.

Idxomer

The intensity of Monday did not exist in the previous two games where Ronaldo wasn't (or was barely) involved. So we can say that it was a team effort and not the addition or subtraction of one player into the lineup.
He played the full game against Brentford.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Can we loan him in December to a CL team? that way he can get his CL goals and we get rid of him with plenty of time to find a replacement.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Family emergency ?
Haven't seen the post match presser?

It's because "you have a way of playing, but also a game plan". And obviously the game plan against a Top2 team didn't include Ronaldo, because you need 10, not 9 outfield players for that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.