Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Lasso

What did he think he was coming back to? We’ve been crap for a decade plus and his coming back and 36 wasn’t gonna transform us back to the glory days, move him on swiftly and get someone who actually wants to be here.
No one's asking for glory days. Just a bare minimum of making top four and competing for cups.

We can't get that right because of all the players that actually want to be here. They've lowered our standards, downed tools for managers that have made them work hard and improve and constantly get injured or are unfit collecting paychecks to bolster their own brand.

We don't need players that want to join United, we need professionals that can't stand losing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ah the hunger to help a club you love back to prominence is hunger in arguably the hardest league in the world is a hunger too. The hunger to boost your own rep is also a hunger. It's about what you are hungry for.

The bloke is a selfish feck and that is part of what his drive is. That's fine, it's absurd to continually try dress it as anything else. But it's been fun watching people try.
There's nothing to suggest we'll be back to prominence next season, mate. That's his timeline.

And also, going by that tweet, he wanted to leave since back in January. I don't know what change since then that make the Club doesn't prepare for this.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If ronaldo is a legend then so is pogba.

And both have thrown us under the bus twice.

soapythecat

Good luck to him. He’s an absolute beast but whether or not he can do it in ETH’s formation is another thing. Last season suggest probably not.
Will be interesting to see where he goes and how much he gets paid. Doubt he will get wages he’s on now.
Given it’s a kick in the teeth to the Glazers too, Ronaldo leaving this window is a blessing in disguise.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There's nothing to suggest we'll be back to prominence next season, mate. That's his timeline.

And also, going by that tweet, he wanted to leave since back in January. I don't know what change since then that make the Club doesn't prepare for this.
Is, said help us back to prominence. It's a process. Not instant I'm afraid.

We are a football club, not Cristiano's bitch, much to the disappointment of a section of our supposed fans.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is, said help us back to prominence. It's a process. Not instant I'm afraid.

We are a football club, not Cristiano's bitch, much to the disappointment of a section of our supposed fans.
:lol: Ok. Let just say I can see why Ronaldo is doing it, and I also understand your POV (as I'm United fan/supporter also). Have no strong opinion on which side is "right".

phelans shorts

:lol: Ok. Let just say I can see why Ronaldo is doing it, and I also understand your POV (as I'm United fan/supporter also). Have no strong opinion on which side is "right".
The reason that this mindset of “who can blame him!” Doesn’t really work is that he as much as the club were more than happy to market it as him ‘coming home’ ‘for the love of the club’ and he then runs off at the first setback? So he’s a liar then.

That’s ignoring that he was a very major part of the mess that was last season, too.

Monkey1185

It's not conceited to expect someone to honour a contract.

Snowflakes? what are you talking about?

It's pretty much out in the open that he wants to leave because the club have failed to match his ambitions.

To you he is selfish for not sticking around.

The way I look at it is that we are just not good enough; clueless owners and players who are either poor or just can't be bothered. Dude is so committed he is only drinking water his entire career only to be surrounded with boys who achieved nothing but complained of everything.

That said, I personally feel we should not keep him if he wants to leave. No player is bigger than the club and I don't want him stinking up the place with his attitude. He will not be missed but there is also no need for a public pillory.

Anyway, you have your own views and I have mine. I'm just going to leave it at that. Cheers.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I know that he scores goals, guaranteed. But I think without him, ETH can build a more fluid team where the goals are shared out

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The reason that this mindset of “who can blame him!” Doesn’t really work is that he as much as the club were more than happy to market it as him ‘coming home’ ‘for the love of the club’ and he then runs off at the first setback? So he’s a liar then.

That’s ignoring that he was a very major part of the mess that was last season, too.
You're taking it literally with "for the love of the club" means he puts the Club above his personal gain. Schmeichel moved to City. Beckham had his personal image above United. Cantona decided to retire at prime age. But then I don't doubt they love the Club as much as I do.

And also I disagree with your last opinion. RR was on record saying that United need 10 new players, basically saying the majority of our best XI are shit. Single out a player, that was one of the few that putting in decent performance, as the main problem, it just doesn't make sense. Blaming Ronaldo for Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, AWB played like buffoons is just defy common sense.

But hey.. it's all opinion, so i don't know. You might be right.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It's pretty much out in the open that he wants to leave because the club have failed to match his ambitions.

To you he is selfish for not sticking around.

The way I look at it is that we are just not good enough; clueless owners and players who are either poor or just can't be bothered. Dude is so committed he is only drinking water his entire career only to be surrounded with boys who achieved nothing but complained of everything.

That said, I personally feel we should not keep him if he wants to leave. No player is bigger than the club and I don't want him stinking up the place with his attitude. He will not be missed but there is also no need for a public pillory.

Anyway, you have your own views and I have mine. I'm just going to leave it at that. Cheers.

It's out in the open because that's what his media team said.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There is no right. I'm not saying being self obsessed is wrong. It's just annoying that people are spinning an alternative reason, like poor CR7 has no choice.

Irwin99

I know that he scores goals, guaranteed. But I think without him, ETH can build a more fluid team where the goals are shared out
I think it depends on if we can bring another striker/goalscorer in. I'm not too annoyed with Ronaldo going as this was hardly a long term thing but we're reliant on Martial, Rashford and possibly Bruno as a false 9 to lead the line. That's very risky and dependent on a lot of things.

A few years back Ole was, in some ways, ridiculously fortunate when he went into his first full season with only 3 recognized strikers and had no major injury problems until Rashford did his back in (many would argue from being overplayed). I'd hate to see us go into a new season with the same situation.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think it depends on if we can bring another striker/goalscorer in. I'm not too annoyed with Ronaldo going as this was hardly a long term thing but we're reliant on Martial, Rashford and possibly Bruno as a false 9 to lead the line. That's very risky and dependent on a lot of things.

A few years back Ole was, in some ways, ridiculously fortunate when he went into his first full season with only 3 recognized strikers and had no major injury problems until Rashford did his back in (many would argue from being overplayed). I'd hate to see us go into a new season with the same situation.
I think we will add someone I’m just not sure who. I also think the young lad get game time

Trophy Room

I think he’ll score an absolute hatful with Ten Hag. He’ll want to play in the Champions league and further his record. Probably not a bad thing in the long term if he leaves.

Abhinav

This was always on the cards once we didn’t qualify for CL. Even if Ronaldo thought he was going to stay at the end of last season, as the pre-season arrives the prospect of playing in Europa league becomes more real. The implications are hitting home now and he realises he can’t sacrifice one year of no CL football. We should have been prepared for this. Hopefully we can get a replacement in time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There is no right. I'm not saying being self obsessed is wrong. It's just annoying that people are spinning an alternative reason, like poor CR7 has no choice.
I really don't buy this "Ronaldo loves United so much". So my expectation of him to love United as much as I do, is almost none. I'm just using what big player like would normally do in this situation.

Just like Pogba dwindling down his contract and leave for free, i just accept it from his POV. Athough as United fan, that sucks losing so much transfer fee.

Although, yeah, 100% agreed that Ronaldo could do better with his announcement timing. But i don't know if just recently the CLub knew about this, or just leaked it recently. I don't know. Even as a fan, I'm frustrated with the CLub lack of urgency on turning this team around.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I really don't buy this "Ronaldo loves United so much". So my expectation of him to love United as much as I do, is almost none. I'm just using what big player like would normally do in this situation.

Just like Pogba dwindling down his contract and leave for free, i just accept it from his POV. Athough as United fan, that sucks losing so much transfer fee.

Although, yeah, 100% agreed that Ronaldo could do better with his announcement timing. But i don't know if just recently the CLub knew about this, or just leaked it recently. I don't know. Even as a fan, I'm frustrated with the CLub lack of urgency on turning this team around.

Everyone is frustrated, which is why now, a month before the new season a high profile player wanting out mid contract is appalling.

AndySmith1990

Dreading this dragging on until the start of the season and him causing unrest in the dressing room. If we make it difficult for him to leave you just know he'll sulk and behave like a petulant child. Hope him and his agent already have the next club lined up and we'll be rid of him quickly

90 + 5min

To even put them in same sentence is beyond anything. Ronaldo has (still is) been brilliant playing for us and helped us win trophies. Pogba have not done anything that is close to Ronaldo in my opinion.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Everyone is frustrated, which is why now, a month before the new season a high profile player wanting out mid contract is appalling.
True, boss. My best guess that if we keep him, he will keep performing. Just based on his ego about his professionalism (and his track record also), and there is WC. But there will be mudslinging between his camp and United's, just like what they're doing now.

Anyway. Screw this. He really disappoint me with this. He and the Board make this CLub become a joke.

Wing Attack Plan R

What’s Ronaldo supposed to do: sit on the bench for 75 minutes and then pull off a miracle in his cameos, or start every game and pull the team out of shape? The truth is Ronaldo doesn’t fit this ETH system and is therefore surplus to requirements. His history at United is not besmirched. He doesn’t want to end his career sat on the bench. Why is this even a problem for anyone? We should not have signed him the second time and his leaving is a straight up blessing.

Good luck to him at his new club.

saik

Not sure how you can even compare them both. One guy had won the Champions League, multiple Prems and Ballon Dor while with us while the other guy won jack all.

phelans shorts

You're taking it literally with "for the love of the club" means he puts the Club above his personal gain. Schmeichel moved to City. Beckham had his personal image above United. Cantona decided to retire at prime age. But then I don't doubt they love the Club as much as I do.
Oh I very much agree with you here. I never believed a word of what he said to begin with, because he’s a textbook narcissist. However when you say such things and less than a year later pull this stunt, he can’t be surprised when such words are held against him.

And also I disagree with your last opinion. RR was on record saying that United need 10 new players, basically saying the majority of our best XI are shit. Single out a player, that was one of the few that putting in decent performance, as the main problem, it just doesn't make sense. Blaming Ronaldo for Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, AWB played like buffoons is just defy common sense.

But hey.. it's all opinion, so i don't know. You might be right.
Ralf was clueless, we know this. I’m not one for believing that somebody who came in, refuses to track, throws his toys out of the pram constantly and was utterly horrific for, conservatively speaking, a third of the season didn’t have a negative effect on the team atmosphere and led to heads dropping on the pitch. Something which didn’t happen the year prior when we broke records for coming back from behind.

Personally I’ll be delighted to see him go. I didn’t want him 12 months ago and I don’t want him now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh I very much agree with you here. I never believed a word of what he said to begin with, because he’s a textbook narcissist. However when you say such things and less than a year later pull this stunt, he can’t be surprised when such words are held against him.

Ralf was clueless, we know this. I’m not one for believing that somebody who came in, refuses to track, throws his toys out of the pram constantly and was utterly horrific for, conservatively speaking, a third of the season didn’t have a negative effect on the team atmosphere and led to heads dropping on the pitch. Something which didn’t happen the year prior when we broke records for coming back from behind.

Personally I’ll be delighted to see him go. I didn’t want him 12 months ago and I don’t want him now.
Hopefully the CLub see it that way too and let him go. We have this new exciting manager that needs everyone to give 110%.

city-puma

Rashford, martial, sancho, Elanga, Amad, pellistri. We probably need a new one coming from this transfer window able to play in the center. Or, ETH might play lone forward or two forwards? Not sure how Garnacho will develop this season. Is it possible he joins the first team?

Revaulx

That's not what I said, but even if I did, it wouldnt be a straw man. You might want to consider googling the term.

I never attacked the poster, that would be against the forum rules. I have no clue what youre on about.

Youre misrepresenting what I said and are using a bunch of terms incorrectly.

I took the position that our season went to shit when we sold Dan James and I pointed to our results as an argument for why his sale was a disaster.

This conclusion of mine ridicules the argument based on season results used to promote the idea that Ronaldo is "the problem". If you feel ridiculed, thats your personal choice. That doesnt make my post an "ad hominem".

If you still think, this is a straw man, you not only dont know what an actual straw man is, you applied your own definition incorrectly.
I don’t want to party poop your spat with the other poster, but I actually think James was sorely missed. Elanga is clearly superior in some respects, but James’ tireless work off the ball and willingness to track back has yet to be replaced.

George The Best

He’s not going to get many clubs excited by this on his wages. Where the hell does he think he’s going. Might be a big ego fail for him

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
PSG or Bayern, Chelsea is mentioned in the tweet too.

I can see him in Bayern actually - easy league, can score loads, Munich area is nice and a guaranteed CL every year too. And Bayern gets their Lewa replacement.
Yeah, I don't think so. Lewa is streets ahead of him at the moment and Bayern won't wreck their wage structure for a 38 yo striker. And they just got Mané. Bayern's board aren't that stupid.

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
To even put them in same sentence is beyond anything. Ronaldo has (still is) been brilliant playing for us and helped us win trophies. Pogba have not done anything that is close to Ronaldo in my opinion.
Pogba has also won trophies with us, he's also won the fecking world cup which ronaldo hasn't. Granted ronaldo has won more but trophy count isn't the barometer when the status of legend is doled out.

Any player who jumps ship cannot be a legend. These lot have jumped ship twice.

Rooney is a legend, Ronaldo is not. I only brought in pogba to smash the delusion that ronaldo fanbois are holding onto, you either concede both are or none.

AndyMUFC

It's more the fact I don't trust us to replace him than anything. As much as it's been great seeing him play for us again, h's 37 and is leaving in a year regardless so I'm far from being traumatised but it just means another problem for us to solve.

If he wants to leave though we'll just have to deal with it.

DSG

Pogba has also won trophies with us, he's also won the fecking world cup which ronaldo hasn't. Granted ronaldo has won more but trophy count isn't the barometer when the status of legend is doled out.

Any player who jumps ship cannot be a legend. These lot have jumped ship twice.

Rooney is a legend, Ronaldo is not. I only brought in pogba to smash the delusion that ronaldo fanbois are holding onto, you either concede both are or none.
It might your standard, but nobody else’s. Rooney left us and played for other teams. Frankly, if all we had were one club players, we’d be terrible.

When Ronaldo left us the Caf was in mourning. Most people wanted Pogba out. The man won a Ballon D’Or with us. Have some respect.

Gazza

Ronaldo knows the only way he can be considered the best player in history is on a statistical basis, so he needs to win as many trophies and score as many CL goals as he can before he retires.

Giggsy13

I have a feeling he’ll end up back in Madrid after they missed out on Haaland and Mbappe. Seems to be the fitting end to his career and it will ensure his CL scoring record remains intact.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo knows the only way he can be considered the best player in history is on a statistical basis, so he needs to win as many trophies and score as many CL goals as he can before he retires.
To be honest I have already seen this coming once we failed to qualify for CL. He simply wants to play for a club challenging for trophies and playing in CL, especially in his last years at the top, and make sure his records won’t be challenged in foreseeable future.

Imagine watching Messi scoring 16 goals over next 2 season in CL and overtake him as all time CL top scorer, while he is playing Europa with us. He needs to make sure this won’t happen.

Afterall we are still at transitional years and may take up at least 2-3 more years to get back to trophy challengers again, he simply doesn’t have the time to do it with us.

JohnnyLaw

The caf is so conceited that they are angry or even find it hard to believe a player would refuse to play for them.

Why would the GOAT play for a club run by clowns and a squad full of snowflakes who can't be arsed to even run on a pitch. He's 38, don't expect him to do the grunt work while the junior players are more concerned with school lunches and dance moves. One even came back to training looking like he has pouch with a joey.

Instead of calling him names, we should all do a little introspection. Maybe ask ourselves "what have our club done or achieved in these past few years to deserve the best players?"
If only he’d refused to play for us…

He’s not any player, he’s a ’club legend’, someone who by his own words loves the club and calls it ’home’.
I think most fans can accept that he’s not up for forsaking the last years of his career to the restoration of the club, but you don’t make a public spectacle of it when the club’s trying to mend and transitioning for the coming season.
His timing and the way he’s conducting himself is what’s pissing people off. Not the fact that he doesn’t want to be here.

Ladron de redcafe

Messi is pulling away in terms of trophies and yeah Ronaldo will desperately want to close that gap. But as he has repeatedly stated time and time again, his biggest ambition is the balón dor and his tweets on the night of the last ceramony showed everyone just how much it bothered him that the gap was extended to 2.

He knows that it's his last chance to close that gap. And get as many trophies as he can.

Strelok

Please leave. I simply can't wait. Each day I'm praying it's the day he leaves. Just leave ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.