Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARulz

Cancel his contract on the last day of the window if no offers come in.
Nah, that would still give him what he wants and just go anywhere. Just don't pay him and/or don't let him waste an entire season on the bench/stands - I would find that far more satisfying unless we get a good offer for him than us just bending over for him and Mendes

Ish

Lights on for Luke
And also everyone was blaming Ole and Rangnick for everything for the past year, with Rangnick saying he couldn’t play how he wanted with Ronaldo. Ten Hag was portrayed as the chosen one by comparison and if he is privately not keen on Ronaldo and that has sparked Ronaldo’s search for a club/getting ahead of the narrative, then surely we have to trust Ten Hag’s judgment if he’s so much of a better manager than Solskjaer.
Yeah, the signing didn't work out and it definitely wasn't one with the eye on the future. Sucks all around.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
And there it ends the Ronaldo legacy at Manchester United if everything confirms. His status will be damaged onwards.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Just maybe Maguire's feelings reflect the squads, as captain. Rashford is giving the happiest interviews he's given in months. The general atmosphere in training appears very positive. Even the leaks on training were all good.
Doesn’t really reflect well on them either does it? Ronaldo may be a cnut but he’s a winner, and none of them have won feck all of importance (or done much to contribute to those they have)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Doesn’t really reflect well on them either does it? Ronaldo may be a cnut but he’s a winner, and none of them have won feck all of importance (or done much to contribute to those they have)
I think if last season proved anything is that it is a squad of whiney, backstabbing cut-throats. Ronaldo is absolutely a winner but I've no doubt his petulance had a negative impact on the squad, the whiney bunch they are. It is the era of arms around the shoulder and bigging up players on social media.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
This is our captain.... Jesus wept. Get him out the club ASAP or at the very least drop him and give it to someone deserving. He's like a 15 year old girl on Instagram. Mentality midget.
Ronaldo did the same after Messi won his latest Ballon d'or. I don't really know why because they're just people like everyone else, but it just comes across as extremely arrogant and childish when athletes use social media like this.

GreatDane

Ronaldo did the same after Messi won his latest Ballon d'or. I don't really know why because they're just people like everyone else, but it just comes across as extremely arrogant and childish when athletes use social media like this.
Factos

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This is our captain.... Jesus wept. Get him out the club ASAP or at the very least drop him and give it to someone deserving. He's like a 15 year old girl on Instagram. Mentality midget.
Maguire is the worse signing I’ve ever seen Utd make…

80m for a mid table CB who you then inexplicably make captain.

Thinking about his contributions last season compared to Ronaldo’s…

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I don't think we have any way of knowing if his winning mentality or diva attitude are the dominating factor here, though

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The cnut/winner is an easier trade off for a fan than than it is someone you have to deal with on a daily basis who has an effect on your workplace.

Not defending any member of that squad for anything btw.

Slysi17

Yeah if Bayern don’t make a move, I think he’s fecked…. I don’t think we’d sell to Chelsea (and it’s debatable Tuchel would want him) and all the other clubs linked are of a much lower stature than United, or aren’t in the CL either. I mean is playing for Napoli or Roma for a year really gonna do more for his “brand and legacy” than getting one of the World’s elite clubs competing again whilst vying for the golden boot in the Premier League at 38? No, it isn’t.

PSG don’t need him and it would be an insane vanity purchase, plus again if this season has shown anything it’s that people still won’t watch Ligue 1 even if Lionel Messi’s in it!

And no one else is gonna match his wages, so the whole “he’s upset at the wage cut cos he won’t be getting half a mill” is a weird point of contention as he won’t be getting it anywhere else either.

At least when he made a big stink in the 2008 & 2009 he knew Real actually wanted him. This might end up quite embarrassing.
Yep. I don't think any club challenging for the champions league will want him. I reckon in a wee while he will do a u turn and say he will stay due to having no options.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Because he’d probably score 40 in the Bundesliga and will be super motivated to win 1 last CL trophy before the end of his career?
I think you're simultaneously vastly underestimating the Bundesliga and overrating Ronaldo's current abilities.

Lewandowski is twice the player Ronaldo is at the moment and has averaged 36 goals in the Bundesliga the last three seasons (32/season on average since he signed for Bayern). He scored 35 in the last one and 41 (current record) the season before. There's no way Ronaldo is going to match his tally at 37 (soon 38). I can't see why Bayern would take an old player whose performances are bound to further decline and on insane wages, wreck their wage structure and team balance just for a one year fix. Let alone the circus everytime he doesn't play. They have absolutely nothing to gain from such a deal. It's utter madness and wishful thinking from MU fans (just saw you support Chelsea).

The only way I see them getting him would be a panic buy on the transfer deadline and given how well Bayern are run, I highly doubt that they didn't prepare for Lewa's eventual departure.

Last edited:

Renegade

Ronaldo being paid half a million to sit at home and not show up for work this week. I can’t believe people are trying to find excuses for him. Whether his upset, pissed off or not. Show up for the job you’re being paid for.

Real Name

If he's forcing his way out like this, by not turning up at training, it will surely hurt his legacy at United.
Its interesting, by coming to United he strengthened the legacy but by acting like this it could hurt it more to the point it will be worse before he returned.

romufc

Ronaldo being paid half a million to sit at home and not show up for work this week. I can’t believe people are trying to find excuses for him. Whether his upset, pissed off or not. Show up for the job you’re being paid for.
Exactly. Making up excuses for this guy is crazy. He is so up himself, when he needs to realise that no club that wants to win the CL wants him.

Its funny that United are supposedly so far from City and Liverpool, so he cannot play for UNited because we wont win trophies.

Yet, he is linked with Chelsea who are quite far from Liverpool and City too.

GueRed

Anyone know the reason for him not turning up for training?

is there truth to him boycotting and looking for a move?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We should actively be attempting to bin him off.

Hope the idea that we're working on convincing him to stay is all nonsense and/or just for bargaining power.

He isn't coming back and I don't think the players or the coaching staff actually want him to.
If he doesn't turn up for training he is not entitled to his wages. training is a contractual obligation of a professional footballer.
Stop his wages and if he fails to fulfil his contractual obligations i.e. training, then the club are legally within their rights to not pay him for 12 months while holding on to his registration.
See how much he likes no wages and no football in a world cup year.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wonder could a return to Sporting materialise.
Now that would be daft.
Just for a precious extra 6 games in a season?

Not to mention having none of the frenzy of attention he lives for, plus them not being able to afford what he gets a week , in a month.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Now that would be daft.
Just for a precious extra 6 games in a season?

Not to mention having none of the frenzy of attention he lives for, plus them not being able to afford what he gets a week , in a month.
I don't think clubs are queuing up to take him on so as this window progresses he might realise it's the move to make.

Longshanks

When your lucky enough to have the natural talent he has, be picked up at 17 by one of the greatest managers ever at developing youth players, then play most of your career at Real Madrid a club who eat trophies for fun, the i should hope you have won some trophies. There is no doubting his talent and his hardwork got him to where he got bit your comparing him against a group of players who don't have that same level of talent, haven't had the luck of being coached by truly great coaches and were part of an exciting young side that looked like they weren't too far away from developing into a very good side at the back end of 20/21.

The problem is a 36/37 Ronaldo is well past his best now he is just a very good poacher/goalscorer he is no longer the truly world class player he was, but he still thinks he is and he demands the team be built for him which dosent work because he isn't good enough anymore. And then obviously unable to accept this fact goes after his teammates splits the dressing room undermines the captain gets the manager sacked and is basically the catalyst for our worst ever PL season.

But he is absolved on any blame because he is the GOAT and the other players should be thrown out because they quite rightly complained about a player who destroyed our playing style destroyed the morale and confidence of the dressing room and got the manager who gave him another chance of glory sacked. Thank God he turned up in a few games and scored a few goals where would we be without him? (Probably in the CL)

Zippycup

Ronaldo is playing a risky game and I don’t think its panned out the way he had hoped. I don’t believe any club is in for him, nor do I believe any club will. Not only is his pay demands ridiculous nor the circus that follows Ronaldo and the added pressure it brings to the team, it’s the fact that the entire team will have to change to suit Ronaldo. We had to do it last season and its clear that it didn’t benefit the team.

If he does stay then he will feel the change of atmosphere shown towards him. Players these days take fan loyalty for granted, but its clear that the opinion on Ronaldo has turned sour with the majority seemingly now in favor of binning him off.

Reactions: moses

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
To be fair it must be weird/hard for Ronaldo to come back to this much less successful club where probably very little else has changed since his time here. He knows he only has a year or two left and we aren’t going to challenge for at least half that time. Fair enough. Let him off. We should never have made this signing in the first place.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he goes he needs to be replaced. A season of Rashford and Martial up front has the potential to fatally undermine ETH’s tenure. The problem is there aren’t many strikers out there with the right profile and age.

Liverpool just spent £80m or whatever it was on a guy with a few seasons in the Spanish second division and Portugal. He might be great, he might not. They can afford to take that risk because he’s coming into a team filled with goals and options. Anyone we sign would be expected to hit the ground running in a way that very few of our signings have since Fergie’s time at the club. Even allowing for the fact he’s not really a ETH striker, it seems to me that we might be better off with the devil we know for one more season so we can properly identify a striker next summer.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Is there nothing else noteworthy happening in football? Is it such a slow day for news?
There is absolutely no way Ronaldo joins Barcelona.
A key component of his brand is that he has only ever played for the historical 'big' clubs instead of the oil clubs and he was key in turning around the fortunes for 2 of them - United & Madrid - and bringing them back to where they belong.

There is no way he tarnishes his Madrid legacy to play for our eternal rivals. There is no way he gets accepted in a dressing room of Xavi, Busquets, Pique, Alba - all of whom have either publicly criticized Ronaldo or scrapped with him on the field. His brand will actually diminish if Madridistas start hating on him ... no more media support from Papa Flo and most importantly no more rando Madrid fans on social media looking for an excuse to harp about his greatness.

Real Madrid still post Ronaldo's old videos on Insta and FB ... His goals, his celebrations, his trophies ... He literally left us 4 years ago!!!
EDIT: On Saturday, Madrid literally posted his best CL goals.
Would you take him back?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If he goes he needs to be replaced. A season of Rashford and Martial up front has the potential to fatally undermine ETH’s tenure. The problem is there aren’t many strikers out there with the right profile and age.

Liverpool just spent £80m or whatever it was on a guy with a few seasons in the Spanish second division and Portugal. He might be great, he might not. They can afford to take that risk because he’s coming into a team filled with goals and options. Anyone we sign would be expected to hit the ground running in a way that very few of our signings have since Fergie’s time at the club. Even allowing for the fact he’s not really a ETH striker, it seems to me that we might be better off with the devil we know for one more season so we can properly identify a striker next summer.
100% on the pitch. But that's without factoring in an unhappy Ronaldo off it.

The inevitable circus was one of the reasons I didn't want him, even when he apparently wanted to be here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don’t believe any club is in for him, nor do I believe any club will.
You could be right, but then it's not solely on Ronaldo: I mean, Mendes is a pretty sharp dude, normally. I can't believe he'd advise Ronaldo to come out strong with zero interest from anyone realistic.

Rolaholic

So that stuff about his family being the reason he can't show up is ending up being grade A bullshit...

Color me surprised

Brophs

The One and Only
100% on the pitch. But that's without factoring in an unhappy Ronaldo off it.

The inevitable circus was one of the reasons I didn't want him, even when he apparently wanted to be here.
True. Depends on how unhappy he is, though. He didn’t seem thrilled last season and he got 24 goals or whatever it was.

And regardless of his level of unhappiness, getting a proper replacement won’t get any easier. If he goes and we don’t sign anyone, our forwards will all basically be guys who prefer playing from wide, without even mentioning that they’re wildly inconsistent (and ETH’s masterplan to involve buying Antony, who seems like more of the same). At some point we’ll need at least one cnut who occasionally kicks the ball between the posts.

Zippycup

Do you promote from within?
It’s a massive risk, but is it anymore of a risk than splashing out £60m on a player that we’re only buying because you have limited options? We’ve tried that before and it rarely if ever works. I honestly believe we have some exceptional talent in our youth set up and we also have the manager who has a proven track record of getting the best out of young players.
Hugill and or McNeill could be the best options we have at the moment. The only problem we have is they’re replacing Ronaldo and I don’t think it would be fair to put that kind of pressure on two players who are so young and so limited in first team experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.