Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty1968

Suddenly he's odds on to go to Sporting.....yesterday he was 4/9 to stay at United... Let's get rid and get in Antony and Gakpo. Can rotate with Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Garnacho, Elanga.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
For me, that's revisionism. We were not a cohesive team at all and relied on many factors for our miraculous 2nd place finish. When he didn't play vs Everton we looked the same. His arrival coincided with the fact we no longer could paper over the cracks under Ole.

I also think people are forgetting some of the games last season that he won for us. It wasn't just tactical, more than half the team played like they have little to no desire walking around the pitch. Football changes fast and I know what matters is your last game and after the stunt he pulled off in the summer, it's no surprise no one wants to remember the good

It's run it's course now but for me it's clear last season we would have been in a miserable position without him.
How is it revisionism if we scored more goals before his arrival, more points and a better league finish? Performances might not have been great, but that trend continued last year, so it's a bit of a "much of a muchness". Fact remains, no one knows how we would have performed had his signing never happened but yet there are still some who thinks we'd have been in a relegation scrap "without his goals"....as if they would have just magically not been spread out to the rest of the team etc.

The Firestarter

So weird some of you would be willing to go 3 years back in time with our strike force. Even 3 years ago we had Greenwood. If Ronaldo leaves our options for a regular starting CF are Rashford and an injury prone Martial. We literally got Ighalo on loan as a desperate back up because of that scenario.

But let’s get rid of our top scorer last season and bring it back? There’s definitely a few who are deeply emotionally scared it hasn’t worked out for Ronaldo’s return and are off-setting it with the “get rid at all costs” vibe. Wait until he scores again and there will “siuuu’s” all over the shop.

Think about this practically. I’m all for him leaving but without a replacement it would be really stupid and we’d be fecked for options.
Depends whether we sign a new striker or not.

GreatDane

We would trigger the one year extension option so he’d go the following year.

Idea is he’d go to the UCL
We’d Qualify
He’d come back and play in the UCL for us.

Back to Osimhen. Why not loan for loan? I’d take him on a loan with option to buy
First of all, if we can't use Ronaldo now why would we ever want him back one year older? Makes zero sense.

That would be nice and all with Osimhen for us, but why would Napoli ever go for that?

Sviken

I mean for him. If he goes he will be playing in an easier league with CL football and will be close to family. I'm assuming that if he goes he'll terminate his contract with us.
Who gives a crap what makes sense for him? He won't terminate his contract with us because it's a lot of money and Sporting would like to pay even half of that salary. So his only option is to play for free which I don't see the "King" doing.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I can see it. We send Ronaldo on loan after extending his contract, admiting our inferiority here and allowing the king to play his CL football by a matter of divine justice. We need him but we can't get in his way. It's May 2023 and we've qualified for the CL, so we become worthy of his presence. Fans are delighted, Ronaldo is here! He'll save us in the CL group stage again!

The manager is buzzing, finally he can play a 38 years old Ronaldo in his "pressing all day" tactics. Nobody is stopping us. When his new gold statue is unveiled at Old Trafford the aliens come, and they name him the best player in the whole universe. Suck it up, Messi. Then Ronaldo wakes up, it's summer 2022. The phone is ringing. Sad news. He's been rejected by Copenhagen. :(
:lol::lol:

The Firestarter

I can see it. We send Ronaldo on loan after extending his contract, admiting our inferiority here and allowing the king to play his CL football by a matter of divine justice. We need him but we can't get in his way. It's May 2023 and we've qualified for the CL, so we become worthy of his presence. Fans are delighted, Ronaldo is here! He'll save us in the CL group stage again!

The manager is buzzing, finally he can play a 38 years old Ronaldo in his "pressing all day" tactics. Nobody is stopping us. When his new gold statue is unveiled at Old Trafford the aliens come, and they name him the best player in the whole universe. Suck it up, Messi. Then Ronaldo wakes up, it's summer 2022. The phone is ringing. Sad news. He's been rejected by Copenhagen. :(
:lol:

FerociousCorgis

Ive always been kind of amused by players in this situation. He has clearly made a shit ton of money, more than he and his family will ever need/be able to spend. He has set up his kids to be in a situation where they never will have to work or do anything. He still could clearly make a lot of money on advertising/non soccer on field pay. So if you truly want one last shot at UCL go to one of the top teams and tell them youll play for peanuts and just make that last hurrah. Shit im sure even bayern would say ok to adding ronaldo if he wanted like 15k a week or something. Do some advertising work in germany to make up some of the lost money to add to your ridiculously huge stack of money youve made

GreatDane

Ive always been kind of amused by players in this situation. He has clearly made a shit ton of money, more than he and his family will ever need/be able to spend. He has set up his kids to be in a situation where they never will have to work or do anything. He still could clearly make a lot of money on advertising/non soccer on field pay. So if you truly want one last shot at UCL go to one of the top teams and tell them youll play for peanuts and just make that last hurrah. Shit im sure even bayern would say ok to adding ronaldo if he wanted like 15k a week or something. Do some advertising work in germany to make up some of the lost money to add to your ridiculously huge stack of money youve made
Not only players, but people in general. Fat cats like Musk and Bezos, they got the money to eradicate homelessness and end poverty but they keep wanting more and pay their workers shit.
They could be real life Santa or Batman but instead they are hoarding gold like a fairytale dragon.
Same with Ronaldo. He could play for free for Sporting and help them, but he wants to add to his gold hoard.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ronaldo that desperate to leave he wants to run home back to Sporting.

Loves the club though...

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Give them Maguire+AWB and Ronaldo, that should cover their request.

mshnsh

I’m taking of more in the long term. There has always been an undercurrent of negativity on Ronaldo since the “step over artist” days, through the Rooney WC incident, to when he left us (thereby depriving United of the sort of success he had at Madrid), to now that he’s back - this latest issue.

He’s been the best player in the world at times during his United career, and yet has continued to get hit with negativity from various cliques in the fan base, all the while having a litany of former managers and teammates rave about him, including Roy Keane who rarely goes out of his way to say nice things about anyone.
He probably wouldn't have scored as many here given that the team behind him would not be anywhere near as good (Madrid invested ALOT in their team beyond Cristiano). And he would have played under the likes of Moyes and Van Gaal. So it is more likely we would have deprived him of his success.

crossy1686

career ending
There is some excelent stuff they are smoking in Napoli.
Napoli are fecking mad bastards. They have their own transfer fee system over there. Every player they have starts at £100m, then you roll a dice and add it together for the final price.

Didn't they pay about £70m for that lad though? I remember it being a stupid amount of money.

DutchCruijff

Going to Sporting is the end of his career at the top level. It's an admittance he is finished at the highest level in Europe.

A sentimental move but not pragmatic unless it is a short term loan. No one is going to touch him in 23/24 when he is 39.

Bobski

It would be terribly amusing to see Messi score 5 in his first CL game with Ronaldo sitting in the stands scrambling for a CL club he can statpad at.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It would be terribly amusing to see Messi score 5 in his first CL game with Ronaldo sitting in the stands scrambling for a CL club he can statpad at.
It’s a shame it’s gotten to this stage and I’ve never really been drawn into the whole Messi v Ronaldo

But it would be sweet if Argentina and PSG won the WC and CL this season

Bobski

It’s a shame it’s gotten to this stage and I’ve never really been drawn into the whole Messi v Ronaldo

But it would be sweet if Argentina and PSG won the WC and CL this season
The funniest would be Ronaldo being loaned to the likes of Rangers, dropping down to the EL and then getting hammered by a revitalized Utd. Coming from West Belfast it would be hilarious to watch the opinions change on Ronnie with a move like that, the shirts being burned.

I don't hate him, appreciate the great years he gave Utd but it was a stupid move by both parties and his obsession with pumping his record comes across as rather pathetic to me, but others might admire the ambition.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How is it revisionism if we scored more goals before his arrival, more points and a better league finish? Performances might not have been great, but that trend continued last year, so it's a bit of a "much of a muchness". Fact remains, no one knows how we would have performed had his signing never happened but yet there are still some who thinks we'd have been in a relegation scrap "without his goals"....as if they would have just magically not been spread out to the rest of the team etc.
Because the Ole 2nd place season was built on sand.
We were getting away with things.

The same team and same strategy wouldn't have been 2nd the next year, with Chelsea and Liverpool resurgent.
With crowds back.
With us perhaps not coming back from deficits 15 or so times like we had the year before.
With us getting loads of pens.

DavelinaJolie

I don't hate him, appreciate the great years he gave Utd but it was a stupid move by both parties and his obsession with pumping his record comes across as rather pathetic to me, but others might admire the ambition.
I agree. Though I'm not sure how pumping a record by joining a team that doesn't really have a hope of winning the CL could be called ambition. I think that's more self-promotion, which was the thing that really irked me about him in his first spell at Utd.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Because the Ole 2nd place season was built on sand.
We were getting away with things.

The same team and same strategy wouldn't have been 2nd the next year, with Chelsea and Liverpool resurgent.
With crowds back.
With us perhaps not coming back from deficits 15 or so times like we had the year before.
With us getting loads of pens.
Yeah, look I was no defender of Ole and after a certain point was always convinced he wasn’t the man to take us forward. But I just don’t agree with the “we would have been even worse off without Ronaldo last season” crowd because there’s just no way of knowing that and we have evidence that we were actually better off without him the season before.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He'd probably regard that as beneath him. I've no doubt that he genuinely believes he's still just about the best player in the world. So, from his perspective, these clubs should want him enough to pay what he's worth.

Anyway, I don't think Bayern or any other club competing for the biggest prizes would take him even if he agreed to 15k per week.

The problem for those clubs isn't first and foremost the money, but the fact the he is likely to want a lot of minutes/be a key player (to a considerable degree).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, look I was no defender of Ole and after a certain point was always convinced he wasn’t the man to take us forward. But I just don’t agree with the “we would have been even worse off without Ronaldo last season” crowd because there’s just no way of knowing that and we have evidence that we were actually better off without him the season before.
We finished 3rd the season before that too, so it's not like the 2nd place came out of the blue as an unprecedented Leicester style overachievement.

We overachieved a little bit, no doubt. We were definitely not the 2nd best team in the league in terms of potential before the start of last season. But then again, it reeks of agenda posting when people start suggesting that we were objectively a mid-table team.

We were - I'd say - the 4th best team in England during Ole's two full seasons in charge.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We finished 3rd the season before that too, so it's not like the 2nd place came out of the blue as an unprecedented Leicester style overachievement.

We overachieved a little bit, no doubt. We were definitely not the 2nd best team in the league in terms of potential before the start of last season. But then again, it reeks of agenda posting when people start suggesting that we were objectively a mid-table team.

We were - I'd say - the 4th best team in England during Ole's two full seasons in charge.
Aye, yeah it's all BS, truth be told. "We'd have been in trouble or even worse off without Ronaldo". Can't take anyone who says that with any conviction, seriously.

Hard truth is, no one knows, but at least there's some evidence backing up the opposing view - we were actually better off without him. The league table doesn't lie.

worldinmotion66

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he stays and does well. But I think we'd have to adapt our system to accommodate him.

With De Gea's poor distribution and a lack of quality replacements available, it might make sense to play more direct up to a player that's decent in the air and at holding up the ball. Play for the second ball press and counter quickly, rather than pressing relentlessly from the front.

It's not the progressive football we want but with Martial's inability to stay fit, and time running out in the transfer market, we might just have to compromise.

Ideally, you disrespect the club like this, and you're gone. But no one fecking wants him. We're in a difficult situation.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Can't take anyone who says that with any conviction, seriously.
Agreed.

It's mostly based on the "no Ronaldo = 18 less goals = relegation struggle" logic. Which doesn't deserve any serious response, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.