Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

Aurelio, you old slag. It's the Mendmeister general. Have you bought a striker yet? No? Good, don't bother. I've got the man here. He's perfec'. Will he do pressing? He invented pressing. [winks at Ronaldo and does the Pinocchio growing nose gesuture] Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's good around the dressing room, yeah. We'll get a highlights reel over to you this afternoon. I'm seeing you Sunday, aren't I? For my sins? How is Kalidou? He left you yet? ......... Yep, alright, see you then. (Hangs up the phone) He has left him. I forgot about that.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RedorDead21

He’ll give an update when the transfer window closes to clear all the confusion. Errr we’ll know by then either way what a tool.

Theonas

Scout
Agree with this, but I will add a caveat that those coaches don't want him at his salaries and game time requirements. Your broader point is correct.

That said, I am worried we haven't signed a striker. If we don't sign anyone and Ronaldo stays with Martial starting game I have a funny feeling Martial will lose his spot soon enough. I just don't want us to be relying on players we have tried multiple times.
I think the price thing applies more to second tier teams like Napoli or Sporting... For the top teams, I would say is his playing time. I think even if was cheap, none of Bayern, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real or Barcelona would start him. They might see some use for him from the bench but they wouldn't use him the way he wants to play now. It's only the ex English players like Keane and Sounness whose idea of football is to put 11 dudes out who can fight, run and hope for a 20+ goal striker that did not see what a problem he is if you are trying to build a team that can compete with the elite.

I agree with your second point! Really difficult to see Martial keeping his place with his inconsistency and injury record. But I think we will rotate between Sancho, Elanga, Martial, Rashford and Antony. Ronaldo to start maybe in certain games and to find a solution in January or something like that. Just difficult to see him ever starting a big game again.

Luka Mora

Also, negativity on forums and social media draws greater attention to posters than being positive about something. This is why historically there has been such a disparity between what former teammates and managers say about Ronaldo (overwhelmingly positive, professional, obsessively hard working etc.) and the self reinforcing negativity from a contingent of the (mostly online) fan base.
I don't think Ronaldo is some kind of victim to an agenda online fans. The narrative was last season was that him and DDG saved United from relegation

Reputable Journalists have leaked info about him leading a meeting with Ralf to suggest changing tactics, as well as reports of him telling the club he wanted to leave if Ralf was going to be kept on as manager.

No fans concocted up a story of him missing pre season. Or his agent offering to every club in Europe under the sun that are in the champions league.

If anything he's been the most protected and supported player in our fanbase with every excuse made for every questionable thing he does off the pitch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think Ronaldo is some kind of victim to an agenda online fans. The narrative was last season was that him and DDG saved United from relegation

Reputable Journalists have leaked info about him leading a meeting with Ralf to suggest changing tactics, as well as reports of him telling the club he wanted to leave if Ralf was going to be kept on as manager.

No fans concocted up a story of him missing pre season. Or his agent offering to every club in Europe under the sun that are in the champions league.

If anything he's been the most protected and supported player in our fanbase with every excuse made for every questionable thing he does off the pitch.
I’m taking of more in the long term. There has always been an undercurrent of negativity on Ronaldo since the “step over artist” days, through the Rooney WC incident, to when he left us (thereby depriving United of the sort of success he had at Madrid), to now that he’s back - this latest issue.

He’s been the best player in the world at times during his United career, and yet has continued to get hit with negativity from various cliques in the fan base, all the while having a litany of former managers and teammates rave about him, including Roy Keane who rarely goes out of his way to say nice things about anyone.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Didn’t Ten Hag say the other day that Ronaldo still had a role to play / will still play matches etc?
He did, but why wouldn't he say that? He also said that he doesn't know what Ronaldo is trying to achieve by announcing that he will speak in 2 weeks. I sense, reading between the lines, he's definitely not happy with Ronaldo.

Luka Mora

I’m taking of more in the long term. There has always been an undercurrent of negativity on Ronaldo since the “step over artist” days, through the Rooney WC incident, to when he left us (thereby depriving United of the sort of success he had at Madrid), to now that he’s back - this latest issue.

He’s been the best player in the world at times during his United career, and yet has continued to get hit with negativity from various cliques in the fan base, alt the while having a litany of former managers and teammates rave about him, including Roy Keane who rarely goes out of his way to say nice things about anyone.
I think Rooney gets more abuse, negativity and disrespect through our own fans. It was only last season, he did an interview where he said that United that bringing Ronaldo back was not good for a long term rebuild and we should be looking for a younger striker.

Everyone called him bitter, a granny shagger, and all kinds of disrespect. Ronaldo even posted on his IG that he was ''too jealous''.

And rooney has served and gave more to United than Ronaldo. To be honest Ronaldo has brought a lot of negativity on himself through his diva actions and antics on and off the pitch. I stand by my point that he is given more leeway than most players in the world considering some of the things he's actually done which would have buried many other players reputation.

As for teammates, managers having nothing but good things to say, If I recall it was Buffon and Bonnucci who came out and said the dressing room and team spirit was better after he left Juve.

And before he returned to the United last season, the season before there was never this much leaks coming out of the club regarding cliques and division in the dressing room.

Theonas

Scout

He’s been the best player in the world at times during his United career, and yet has continued to get hit with negativity from various cliques in the fan base, alt the while having a litany of former managers and teammates rave about him, including Roy Keane who rarely goes out of his way to say nice things about anyone.
Are you suggesting that his move to Real was because our fanbase did not fully take to him? He compared himself to a slave and publicly asked for a move and he was still loved and supported. Did you see how Real Madrid fans treated him when he did not play well? He was their highest ever goal scorer and he still did not get the adulation from them that some of their other superstars get. If you can't inspire love from the fans even with how much he has to offer, then maybe the problem is you! Fans don't need much to love a player, let alone, one that brings success in abundance. Yet as you say, he always had that undercurrent so you have to ask why does he inspire such feelings from so many? But to suggest that he somehow did not feel loved here so went to Real to feel more appreciated is just... odd.

Former players admire him and praise his character. If you don't respect and admire Ronaldo's work ethic and professionalism especially for someone like Keane, then you are just blind. But that has nothing to do with how "likable" he was. You are mistaking the respect he gets for adulation. The former is earned through being a professional and for bringing high value, the latter is not. He chose to build his career on numbers and hard cold facts or whatever you want to call them, fair enough! Impressive and all that and the man achieved insane things and pushed himself to amazing levels. But likewise, you won't get that likability in reverse, you will get respect and appreciation for what you bring... Once that's gone, there will be no love left.

Real Name

If we take away this toxic or not toxic stuff the baggage this whole story brings, him leaving or not is really disruptive and if he stays then there will be stories about him being happy sitting on the bench or not and ETH will have to answer questions about Ronaldo all season long. Really bad stuff.

Not to mention him hugging Keane and high fiveing teammates as a proof of all being well and him being a huge United legend.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If we take away this toxic or not toxic stuff the baggage this whole story brings, him leaving or not is really disruptive and if he stays then there will be stories about him being happy sitting on the bench or not and ETH will have to answer questions about Ronaldo all season long. Really bad stuff.

Not to mention him hugging Keane and high fiveing teammates as a proof of all being well and him being a huge United legend.
Yes. And regardless of fault or blame or cause, the reality is that it's a circus. And while that is fine for peak genius, it's not fine for bit player.

MrEleson

So its indicative of a normal working relationship. Did I get this right?
Yes. It is indicative he’s at least on a normal level with his teammates but doesn’t definitely mean he’s not toxic.

Don’t know what’s so hard about this to understand.

poleglass red

I think the price thing applies more to second tier teams like Napoli or Sporting... For the top teams, I would say is his playing time. I think even if was cheap, none of Bayern, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real or Barcelona would start him. They might see some use for him from the bench but they wouldn't use him the way he wants to play now. It's only the ex English players like Keane and Sounness whose idea of football is to put 11 dudes out who can fight, run and hope for a 20+ goal striker that did not see what a problem he is if you are trying to build a team that can compete with the elite.

I agree with your second point! Really difficult to see Martial keeping his place with his inconsistency and injury record. But I think we will rotate between Sancho, Elanga, Martial, Rashford and Antony. Ronaldo to start maybe in certain games and to find a solution in January or something like that. Just difficult to see him ever starting a big game again.
Neither Souness or Keane are English.

OverratedOpinion

Yes. It is indicative he’s at least on a normal level with his teammates but doesn’t definitely mean he’s not toxic.

Can I ask what is the motivation for your constant defence of him over the smallest details?

I am genuinely curious.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.

We can't tell anything from only one clip. Is there more videos? Like him petting little kitten, or him smiling to baby?

Real Name

Making any conclusions on that footage, let alone if hes on good terms with teammates, is just silly.

MegadrivePerson

Didn’t Ten Hag say the other day that Ronaldo still had a role to play / will still play matches etc?
As long as he's still here then he has to say that publicly.

Looking at the timeline of how things unfolded its clear that Ten Hag has decided that Ronaldo isn't the right person to lead the line here.

Whatever Ronaldo has done in the past is exactly that, in the past. He is not the future of this club, Ten Hag is. I hope we can find a way to move Ronaldo on before the end of the transfer window, its in everybody's best interests now.

Erik the Red

Given the Ronaldo to Chelsea rumours, I think we will allow him to go to Chelsea for a good price if:
A) they sell Ziyech to Ajax at a fair price so we can get Antony
B) they buy Fofana from Leicester so we can offload Maguire to Leicester, and
C) they call off any transfer deals with Barca (eg Aubameyang) so Barca have to pull their other lever and sell De Jong to us.

If these conditions are all met, I'd happily sell Ronaldo to Chelsea. I think this is the perfect scenario - we swap Ronaldo and Maguire for Antony and De Jong.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
DM goes with that story but it say that we would LOAN Ronaldo? Where is logic in that? His contract ends next year

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
DM goes with that story but it say that we would LOAN Ronaldo? Where is logic in that? His contract ends next year
We would trigger the one year extension option so he’d go the following year.

Idea is he’d go to the UCL
We’d Qualify
He’d come back and play in the UCL for us.

Back to Osimhen. Why not loan for loan? I’d take him on a loan with option to buy

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We would trigger the one year extension option so he’d go the following year.

Idea is he’d go to the UCL
We’d Qualify
He’d come back and play in the UCL for us.

Back to Osimhen. Why not loan for loan? I’d take him on a loan with option to buy
No way that we would be THAT stupid.
Agreevabout Osimhen about loan with option to buy

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
[JOSE FELIX DIAZ] Ronaldo's story at Man Utd seems to be coming to an end and the Portuguese has decided that the best option is none other than to return to the origins, that is, look towards Sporting de Portugal .The operation is not easy , but the Lisbon team and Jorge Mendez are working on it.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/liga-portuguesa/2022/08/26/63089afc22601dae218b45a5.html

The lad who broke the Casemiro news.

Phil Osophy

I can see it. We send Ronaldo on loan after extending his contract, admiting our inferiority here and allowing the king to play his CL football by a matter of divine justice. We need him but we can't get in his way. It's May 2023 and we've qualified for the CL, so we become worthy of his presence. Fans are delighted, Ronaldo is here! He'll save us in the CL group stage again!

The manager is buzzing, finally he can play a 38 years old Ronaldo in his "pressing all day" tactics. Nobody is stopping us. When his new gold statue is unveiled at Old Trafford the aliens come, and they name him the best player in the whole universe. Suck it up, Messi. Then Ronaldo wakes up, it's summer 2022. The phone is ringing. Sad news. He's been rejected by Copenhagen. :(

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I seem to recall us doing alright before Ronaldo arrived. So not sure I agree with the “rock bottom” bit at all, Sham. Truth is, no one really knows. The goals he scored wouldn't all magically just disappear.
For me, that's revisionism. We were not a cohesive team at all and relied on many factors for our miraculous 2nd place finish. When he didn't play vs Everton we looked the same. His arrival coincided with the fact we no longer could paper over the cracks under Ole.

I also think people are forgetting some of the games last season that he won for us. It wasn't just tactical, more than half the team played like they have little to no desire walking around the pitch. Football changes fast and I know what matters is your last game and after the stunt he pulled off in the summer, it's no surprise no one wants to remember the good

It's run it's course now but for me it's clear last season we would have been in a miserable position without him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

He’s been the best player in the world at times during his United career, and yet has continued to get hit with negativity from various cliques in the fan base, all the while having a litany of former managers and teammates rave about him, including Roy Keane who rarely goes out of his way to say nice things about anyone.
Add to that Sir Alex Ferguson. A guy who has had a problem with anyone remotely trying to step over the line but respects the life out of Ronaldo

The Firestarter

So in the last 20 hours we've gotten:
Ronaldo will stay unless he moves
Ronaldo will move to Sporting
Ronaldo will move to Napoli
Ronaldo will move to Sporting again

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So weird some of you would be willing to go 3 years back in time with our strike force. Even 3 years ago we had Greenwood. If Ronaldo leaves our options for a regular starting CF are Rashford and an injury prone Martial. We literally got Ighalo on loan as a desperate back up because of that scenario.

But let’s get rid of our top scorer last season and bring it back? There’s definitely a few who are deeply emotionally scared it hasn’t worked out for Ronaldo’s return and are off-setting it with the “get rid at all costs” vibe. Wait until he scores again and there will “siuuu’s” all over the shop.

Think about this practically. I’m all for him leaving but without a replacement it would be really stupid and we’d be fecked for options.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
[JOSE FELIX DIAZ] Ronaldo's story at Man Utd seems to be coming to an end and the Portuguese has decided that the best option is none other than to return to the origins, that is, look towards Sporting de Portugal .The operation is not easy , but the Lisbon team and Jorge Mendez are working on it.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/liga-portuguesa/2022/08/26/63089afc22601dae218b45a5.html

The lad who broke the Casemiro news.
Yeah, JFD is tier 1 I believe. A move to Sporting makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.