Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

"Just" 28?!

That sounds a heck of a lot of misses to me!
It seems baffling to suggest Ronaldo should swagger in here, and take them off a guy who has missed for us at least, 1 pen in 20 odd (i think).
The figure 28 is irrelavant to be fair. Ronaldo will naturally have missed more because he's been playing for 20 years. It has to be based on percentage. I would prefer Bruno simply because his conversion percentage is one of the best in the world. However, 83% for Ronaldo over a period of 20 years is pretty impressive too. I wouldn't be too fussed which one took them, but from a Utd perspective there is absolutely no reason Bruno should be taken off them.

Chief123

I know Ronaldo doesn't run around as much as he used to and reserves his energy for more explosive and effective bursts. But does anyone know if he still has explosive pace? Any stats to show this? He's always looked pretty sharp but I've not seen him in a long sprint for a while. I can imagine he's still quicker than most defenders.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was just looking at his brief stats on FBref and he still does most things to a very elite standard. He surprisingly passes the ball a lot more than I expected (and decently accurately) considering he’s seen as a bit of a goal-poacher these days. His dribbling stats are surprisingly strong too.

Only thing I was surprised by — why is his aerials won so low? Is it just a case of him not competing a lot?

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/Cristiano-Ronaldo

RedRon007

I know Ronaldo doesn't run around as much as he used to and reserves his energy for more explosive and effective bursts. But does anyone know if he still has explosive pace? Any stats to show this? He's always looked pretty sharp but I've not seen him in a long sprint for a while. I can imagine he's still quicker than most defenders.
I reckon Ronaldo at 36 is still faster than David Beckham was when he played on the wing for United. I don't know but I still think we will see Ronaldo skin a few defenders this season. I mean look at Giggsy.. he was still doing it at bloody 39! :lol:

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Only thing I was surprised by — why is his aerials won so low? Is it just a case of him not competing a lot?
Yeah, it's just because Juve don't play 'hoof it up to the big lad' football. His success rate is actually still decent and he averages a headed goal every 3 games.

Must be the only time these two players have ever been compared. :lol: But yeah, most aerial duels are just attempted flick-ons on the halfway line from long balls, not contested headers on the 6 yard line leading to a possible goal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, it's just because Juve don't playing 'hoof it up to the big lad' football. His success rate is actually still decent and he averages a headed goal every 3 games.

Must be the only time these two players have ever been compared. :lol: But yeah, most aerial duels are just attempted flick-ons on the halfway line from long balls, not contested headers on the 6 yard line leading to a possible goal.
:D what a comparison that is. Cheers, makes a lot sense. Is that Squawka? I never know which stat site is most vogue — so many floating around!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Any chance at all he comes in here and doesn't take the pens off Bruno? Surely Ole could intervene here as well. It's not as if he taken them off a guy who's inconsistent with them, either (like Rashford, for instance)
Might help us when we get into pen kicks in finals.

Highfather_24

However, 83% for Ronaldo over a period of 20 years is pretty impressive too.
Ehh, not really. Rooney had a similar record, and nobody called him a good penalty taker.

One thing I'm worried about is his hold up play as a #9. I think Cavani has superior hold up play to him, and I think we will miss that aspect.

MrEleson

Ehh, not really. Rooney had a similar record, and nobody called him a good penalty taker.

One thing I'm worried about is his hold up play as a #9. I think Cavani has superior hold up play to him, and I think we will miss that aspect.
Rooney took nowhere near as many penalties. Ronaldo is definitely better at them than him.

Highfather_24

Rooney took nowhere near as many penalties. Ronaldo is definitely better at them than him.
Not really relevant, we are talking about rate of success here. He took enough(60) to get a good idea about his rate. Rooney's rate of success is 80% and Ronaldo's 83%. There's not much in it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
:D what a comparison that is. Cheers, makes a lot sense. Is that Squawka? I never know which stat site is most vogue — so many floating around!
Yeah, just use it because their comparison thing is nice and easy to use and set up to only compare specific stats (so if you really want to so how Ronaldo stacks up to Chris Wood in the air, you can!).

I think the fbref one you're using has the more detailed stuff though and it's nice to see how one player compares to everyone else who plays the same position.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Stats can be misleading.

He's still (up until this very point) extremely dangerous in the air.

If the pass is good, he'll be a greater asset than any player in the world in terms of getting a dangerous header on goal. That's one thing nobody can take away from him - he's arguably the most lethal aerial threat ever (right up there anyway). And he still has most of that intact (I hope).

He obviously needs service, though (as any finisher does).

MuFc_1992

The club really are milking this, aren't they? Now I'm getting Ronaldo interviews as YouTube ads for MUTV.

Chief123

I don't remember many complaining he was a bad penalty taker either. He was more than good enough on penalties. If he stepped up for a penalty majority of fans were always confident.

To say 83% conversion is not good enough is unrealistic. Anything with 8 out of 10 or above is a brilliant conversion rate.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't remember many complaining he was a bad penalty taker either. He was more than good enough on penalties. If he stepped up for a penalty majority of fans were always confident.

To say 83% conversion is not good enough is unrealistic. Anything with 8 out of 10 or above is a brilliant conversion rate.
Yeah also Rooney tended to miss more "unimportant" penalties, when the game was pretty much already won. When he stepped up for meaningful ones, he was usually switched on and was quite reliable. He was fine at it, just as Ronaldo is. Bruno's record is exceptional at this stage - it's probably it will go down somewhat, but he might just be a freak of nature when it comes to pens and keep up this exceptional record.

Either way, I really doubt CR won't be taking pens from now on, if he's on the pitch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
All the hype and all i saw in his first training session was him kicking the ball three times. What was the cameraman doing?

Chairman Steve

Feels like forever ago since that mad Friday and then the actual signing on deadline day. Fecking international break :boring:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Feels like forever ago since that mad Friday and then the actual signing on deadline day. Fecking international break :boring:
Can you imagine if they listen to fecking Wenger and have the WC every two years? There will be nearly as many international breaks/matches as there are league matches. He can feck off with this stupid idea. I rather have the ESL than WC every two years.

RUCK4444

Can you imagine if they listen to fecking Wenger and have the WC every two years? There will be nearly as many international breaks/matches as there are league matches.
It would literally destroy football. I have no idea why anybody would be that interested in international football to welcome a fecking WC every two years.

Absolutely ridiculous idea.

I don't remember many complaining he was a bad penalty taker either. He was more than good enough on penalties.
There were loads of complaints, and justifiably so.

Rooney scored 23 out of 33 penalties in the PL. He dragged his career numbers up significantly after moving to MLS and the Championship.

That's 69% conversion - not comparable to Ronaldo.
Yes, I know. His career conversion rate is 80%, which is comparable to Ronaldo

I was replying specifically to the poster who said they didn't remember United fans complaining about Rooney's penalties when there were actually a lot - as echoed just above my post

By the way, a more valid comparison for the people getting hung up on sample sizes* and confidently saying Fernandes's conversion rate will drop as he takes more and more of them (of course, there's every chance it will drop from 93% - literally no basis, however, to be so confident that the drop will be the nearly 10% it would need to take him below Ronaldo):

Fernandes has scored 42 out of 45 career penalties. Let's compare that with Ronaldo's last 45 penalties: 38 scored and 7 missed (which is virtually the same as his career percentage, incidentally - almost like that's how it works :wenger:)

There's not really an argument to be had here if you're not biased one way or the other: Ronaldo is a very good penalty taker, Fernandes is simply better.

*for example, this guy (not picking on anyone but this has been said a bunch of times in the thread and this was the most recent example I found):

When it comes to penalties, the sample size for Bruno is way smaller than Ronaldo's. If you actually think he would maintain a 90%+ scoring rate with another 100+ attempts you are delusional. He would definitely dip into the 80s, which is where Ronaldo is. So, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter if either Bruno or Ronaldo take them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bailly and Jones must be kept as far away from Ronaldo as possible.

Jacob

Is there a full interview with him yet? Or only that initial one of 4 minutes?

laughtersassassin

His goal against Germany in the Euro he was lightning in the counter.

But as you said he tends to not do it much. Assumingly to save his body from injuries

SirAF

Ageist
His goal against Germany in the Euro he was lightning in the counter.

But as you said he tends to not do it much. Assumingly to save his body from injuries
Yup, basically the length of the pitch in less than 15 seconds if I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.