Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeh the way he disrespect ETH, club management and club facilities were quite unacceptable. But he did won us 3 PL titles and CL during his first stint here, I think that should be all good to cancel out.
He was certainly our X factor, but in Fergies words he played in the strongest he'd ever assembled. All i mean is he was our star attacking player in that team. We were unlucky to not win 3 league titles in a row after he left, chelsea offside goal and Aguero and all that. We had no chance against 2011 Barca though. With or without Ronnie.

SonOfFergie

Ronaldo was not the problem. Just as Martial is not. DDG was not.
So appropriate username to discuss the Ronaldo dilemma. :)

I was just having a lengthy debate on this topic with a friend and I struggle to comprehend how anyone can't see Ronaldo was the problem?
- After shooting to stardom in a dominant United team SAF barely contained him and his ego in his final season as he was already Real bound and in his final season a lot of gameplay had to be accommodated to keep him happy.
- Real won a lottery, had Ronaldo for his best years, sold him for as much as they paid for him and got rid of him when his ego was becoming unbearable.
- If I recall correctly there were not many suitors when Ronaldo left for Juventus and for all his goals he didn't bring them another champions league for what he was brought and in the quality laden squad full of seasoned pros and strong characters he was wreaking havoc on the team morale and disrupted team spirit to no end.
- After Juventus only United was stupid enough to take him - in a hindsight I don't know if City offer was genuine or not and he would probably flourish in City system but maybe it would be for the best if he went to City and destroyed their squad harmony
- For all goals scored in United on his second coming he was a negative presence, self-centered, didn't play as instructed, no pressing it was all about getting ball to him and padding his stats. Threw coach, teammates and club under the bus and burned bridges as he left. United was not in a good shape is not in a good shape but Ronaldo part 2 experiment was a wholesome failure.
- After he left United no team in Europe would touch him with a barge pole. He left for Saudis and is making ambassadorial effort there playing scoring some goals that are immediately highlighted as the second coming of Jesus etc.

Bottom line for me was that he was past it to cut it in EPL and was a problem for United and had to leave. That we hadn't replaced him adequately is another topic.

He will be remembered as probably one of the top 5 or top 10 players of all time, his first time in United will be remembered fondly.
One of the GOAT's but unbearable presence in his latter years.

Change my mind. :)

Last edited:

bakalhau

Bottom line for me was that he was past it to cut it in EPL and was a problem for United and had to leave. That we hadn't replaced him adequately is another topic.
Why would you need to adequately replace someone who was past it for the EPL? If someone is past a league's level, shouldn't it be extremely easy to replace? :smirk:

In any case, I see things a bit differently than you, agree with a couple of points you made for sure, just found that one sentence particularly interesting.

steffyr2

I was just having a lengthy debate on this topic with a friend and I struggle to comprehend how anyone can't see Ronaldo was the problem?
- After shooting to stardom in a dominant United team SAF barely contained him and his ego in his final season as he was already Real bound and in his final season a lot of gameplay had to be accommodated to keep him happy.
- Real won a lottery, had Ronaldo for his best years, sold him for as much as they paid for him and got rid of him when his ego was becoming unbearable.
- If I recall correctly there were not many suitors when Ronaldo left for Juventus and for all his goals he didn't bring them another champions league for what he was brought and in the quality laden squad full of seasoned pros and strong characters he was wreaking havoc on the team morale and disrupted team spirit to no end.
- After Juventus only United was stupid enough to take him - in a hindsight I don't know if City offer was genuine or not and he would probably flourish in City system but maybe it would be for the best if he went to City and destroyed their squad harmony
- For all goals scored in United on his second coming he was a negative presence, self-centered, didn't play as instructed, no pressing it was all about getting ball to him and padding his stats. Threw coach, teammates and club under the bus and burned bridges as he left. United was not in a good shape is not in a good shape but Ronaldo part 2 experiment was a wholesome failure.
- After he left United no team in Europe would touch him with a barge pole. He left for Saudis and is making ambassadorial effort there playing scoring some goals that are immediately highlighted as the second coming of Jesus etc.

He will be remembered as probably one of the top 5 or top 10 players of all time, his first time in United will be remembered fondly.

Who are the top ten?

SonOfFergie

Who are the top ten?
Hard to say and based on personal opinions and criteria's. Would go with something like this:
Lionel Messi
Pelé
Diego Maradona
Cristiano Ronaldo
Johan Cruyff
Franz Beckenbauer
Alfredo Di Stéfano
Ronaldo Nazário
Michel Platini
Zinedine Zidane

Son

Hard to say and based on personal opinions and criteria's. Would go with something like this:
Lionel Messi
Pelé
Diego Maradona
Cristiano Ronaldo
Johan Cruyff
Franz Beckenbauer
Alfredo Di Stéfano
Ronaldo Nazário
Michel Platini
Zinedine Zidane
I’d put Di Stefano ahead of Ronaldo personally as in his era he was just a monster of a player until Pele arrived on the scene he was untouchable.

Platini looking back at older clips I think was an incredible footballer. Certainly seemed to be more of a natural creator than anyone bar Messi in history from what I could tell.

Maradona was more a force of nature but Platini was back then seemingly putting in higher numbers on average. A genius in his own right.

I need to watch more of Cruyff. I haven’t quite seen why he was rated so high but I bet it’s a bit like kids today won’t understand Xavi and Iniesta in the future either and how they dominated completely without putting in obvious numbers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
53 goals in 2023.

It’s great to see Benzema assists Ronaldo a goal again (penalty).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I’d put Di Stefano ahead of Ronaldo personally as in his era he was just a monster of a player until Pele arrived on the scene he was untouchable.

Platini looking back at older clips I think was an incredible footballer. Certainly seemed to be more of a natural creator than anyone bar Messi in history from what I could tell.

Maradona was more a force of nature but Platini was back then seemingly putting in higher numbers on average. A genius in his own right.

I need to watch more of Cruyff. I haven’t quite seen why he was rated so high but I bet it’s a bit like kids today won’t understand Xavi and Iniesta in the future either and how they dominated completely without putting in obvious numbers.
Di Stefano has the claim to be greatest club footballer ever in terms of how dominating he was at Real Madrid back in 50s-60s, while Ronaldo has to compete with Messi all the time at club level, winning and losing etc

But imo it was his international career which really came short in comparing with other GOATs. So in respect to this I think Ronaldo is ahead of him.

Ronaldo vs Di Stefano:

Domestic domination: Di Stefano (8 La Liga, overall 13 league titles won)
European domination: tie (5 vs 5)
International career: Ronaldo (2 trophies + most goals)
Individual goals/stats/records/honours: Ronaldo

Joel Miller

Why did that trigger you?!
Did it? I just said it’s weird. Triggered is what happens to you when anyone has the temerity to say anything negative about the subject of the thread (or any of acolytes too apparently).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
47. 6 goals are in a non-official tournament.
Well you may also say LIV in golf are non-official too as it’s not recognized by PGA, the largest governing body in golf. But it’s kinda meaningless argument.

If European Super league happened in future, it will be non-official too, if you are looking from FIFA angle.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

His final season at United was problematic and unbearable to many Man Utd fans. But apart from that it was extremely unfair/double standard to criticise his time at Juventus. Since when does not winning CL considered a failure though? Maradona never won one for Napoli or for whole of his European club career. L.Ronaldo never won one during his whole European club career. Are they considered failure at club level?

Even Messi never won one again since 2015. Is his club career considered a failure from 2015 onwards?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
His final season at United was problematic and unbearable to many Man Utd fans. But apart from that it was extremely unfair/double standard to criticise his time at Juventus. Since when does not winning CL considered a failure though? Maradona never won one for Napoli or for whole of his European club career. L.Ronaldo never won one during his whole European club career. Are they considered failure at club level?

Even Messi never won one again since 2015. Is his club career considered a failure from 2015 onwards?
Very unfair to compare eras. For much of some of those players careers, it was only the champions of each country who played in the CL. Then the champions plus the runner up. It’s a fairly recent development that the top four from many leagues qualify; meaning most, or a lot, of the top players now have a chance to win it almost every season. In Maradona’s day, you had very limited opportunities to win the European cup. He played in it for Napoli only in 87-88 and 90-91. Two seasons.

When Ronaldo was at Juve they were basically assured participation every season he was there, such was their hegemony over the Italian league. They could afford to rest key players at the weekend and focus on Europe. With that in mind, Ronaldo was signed to (a) increase the profile of the club and league, and (b) deliver a much overdue Champions League trophy.

While on an individual level he tallied up good stats in the league. Most observers will say that Juve actually got worse with him in the team. He scored more but the team scored less. Such is his demand to have everything be served up to him, and not being a real team player. He was the same at United and Madrid but his preternatural goal scoring abilities meant it didn’t matter. Once at Juve and on the decline, he just made them worse.

As one famous Italian journalist put it - and a description that caught on in popularity - Ronaldo creates a problem that only he himself can solve.

At United, for his second spell, he took us considerably backwards. Not just the predictability in how we played as a result of his presence; but his toxic presence in the dressing room.

Pickle85

Did it? I just said it’s weird. Triggered is what happens to you when anyone has the temerity to say anything negative about the subject of the thread (or any of acolytes too apparently).
It's a guy keeping track of the number of goals Ronaldo scores in the Ronaldo thread. I don't think that's weird but yes I do think you sound triggered. Which is weird.

Gehrman

It's a guy keeping track of the number of goals Ronaldo scores in the Ronaldo thread. I don't think that's weird but yes I do think you sound triggered. Which is weird.
It would be cooler if he attached a clip of each goal he's counting.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very unfair to compare eras. For much of some of those players careers, it was only the champions of each country who played in the CL. Then the champions plus the runner up. It’s a fairly recent development that the top four from many leagues qualify; meaning most, or a lot, of the top players now have a chance to win it almost every season. In Maradona’s day, you had very limited opportunities to win the European cup. He played in it for Napoli only in 87-88 and 90-91. Two seasons.

When Ronaldo was at Juve they were basically assured participation every season he was there, such was their hegemony over the Italian league. They could afford to rest key players at the weekend and focus on Europe. With that in mind, Ronaldo was signed to (a) increase the profile of the club and league, and (b) deliver a much overdue Champions League trophy.

While on an individual level he tallied up good stats in the league. Most observers will say that Juve actually got worse with him in the team. He scored more but the team scored less. Such is his demand to have everything be served up to him, and not being a real team player. He was the same at United and Madrid but his preternatural goal scoring abilities meant it didn’t matter. Once at Juve and on the decline, he just made them worse.

As one famous Italian journalist put it - and a description that caught on in popularity - Ronaldo creates a problem that only he himself can solve.

At United, for his second spell, he took us considerably backwards. Not just the predictability in how we played as a result of his presence; but his toxic presence in the dressing room.
You may argue Maradona era is harder to qualify for one. But the criteria to win one is the same - there’s only 1 winner each year, and you have to become best team in Europe beating everyone you face to win it. One could even argue although it’s harder to qualify back then, it’s harder to win one in current era as there are more quality teams in the competitions nowadays.

As for Juventus, their whole squad have aging problems on their own regardless of Ronaldo joining them or not, which coincided with the period Ronaldo playing for them. Their worst ever seasons as of recent decade is actually after Ronaldo has gone and left them from 2021 onwards.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How much penalties he has in that league? Is that in his contract? "One penalty per game must be assured by officials"

cafecillos

That penalty was such a rocket :drool:

Unfortunately, there's a guy in our league who has scored 54 goals in 2023.

Gehrman

How much penalties he has in that league? Is that in his contract? "One penalty per game must be assured by officials"
Well he has 15 in total year, but i think that includes Portugal. 100% conversation rate though.

Joel Miller

No, it’s weird, you don’t even see it for other players, I can’t even recall seeing it done for United players during the many years I’ve read the forum. It’s even weirder given the level he’s playing at and his recent behaviour towards the club. And as probably the most aggressive and frequently triggered poster throughout this whole thread, it’s even weirder for you to be the one trying to make a big deal of what I said :lol: