Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Rojow

He will play as long he secures this goal record. And that will happen when Messi retires.

Pickle85

No, it’s weird, you don’t even see it for other players, I can’t even recall seeing it done for United players during the many years I’ve read the forum. It’s even weirder given the level he’s playing at and his recent behaviour towards the club. And as probably the most aggressive and frequently triggered poster throughout this whole thread, it’s even weirder for you to be the one trying to make a big deal of what I said :lol:
Ronaldo really does live in your head rent free, doesn't he?! Coming in to his thread as often as you do to slag the guy off...

Also, most aggressive and frequently triggered poster in the thread? I appreciate the compliment but, alas, I think the competition on that front is pretty stiff. ;)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Are there any other players gunning for 1000 official goals...?
No tbh, but it seems a bit excessive to make a bump everytime he manages a goal unless it was always good goals. It feel more apt to bump it like when he is 30, 20, 10,5 etc goals from the 900 milestone.

Pickle85

No tbh, but it seems a bit excessive to make a bump everytime he manages a goal unless it was always good goals. It feel more apt to bump it like when he is 30, 20, 10,5 etc goals from the 900 milestone.
To be honest, it's the Ronaldo thread. I don't see the harm. What's the issue? Is it offending people?

Gehrman

To be honest, it's the Ronaldo thread. I don't see the harm. What's the issue? Is it offending people?
There's no harm, its just my personal opinion that it feels excessive. Im not trying to demand it should be otherwise.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t think if offends anyone but it’s definitely weird the way some of ye are obsessively following the career of a has been bell end in a farmer’s league. Especially when said bell end has behaved like an absolute tool towards the club we support. Twice. Hence the sarky remarks when this thread is bumped.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
No, it’s weird, you don’t even see it for other players, I can’t even recall seeing it done for United players during the many years I’ve read the forum. It’s even weirder given the level he’s playing at and his recent behaviour towards the club. And as probably the most aggressive and frequently triggered poster throughout this whole thread, it’s even weirder for you to be the one trying to make a big deal of what I said :lol:
Can you name the other United players who scored 42 goals as we won the European Cup for only the third time in our history? Or the other still active United players who have legitimate GOAT claims? Instead of calling other posters weird why not just accept that Cristiano defined a generation and will be followed wherever he goes.

Pickle85

I don’t think if offends anyone but it’s definitely weird the way some of ye are obsessively following the career of a has been bell end in a farmer’s league. Especially when said has been has behaved like an absolute tool towards the club we support. Twice. Hence the sarky remarks when this thread is bumped.
I think some of the reactions imply folks are offended or annoyed by it. To be honest, I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of the people pissed off at any pro Ronaldo posts are fans of the other greatest of our generation.

SirAF

Ageist
Ronaldo really does live in your head rent free, doesn't he?! Coming in to his thread as often as you do to slag the guy off...

Also, most aggressive and frequently triggered poster in the thread? I appreciate the compliment but, alas, I think the competition on that front is pretty stiff. ;)
:lol:

People like that should just be ignored and left to their own devices tbh. It's not weird having a favorite athlete that you follow closely. What is weird is spending time on a player you dislike. I mean why even open the thread?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think some of the reactions imply folks are offended or annoyed by it. To be honest, I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of the people pissed off at any pro Ronaldo posts are fans of the other greatest of our generation.
There’s plenty of reasons for Manchester United fans to be pissed off at Ronaldo for reasons that have nothing to do with any other footballer. He’s just a dickhead and has been for years.

bakalhau

:smirk: :lol: One and done

Edit: I don't see why it's hard to accept people follow players - and watch all of their games - after all, people follow players in individual games, like tennis, correct? So in a team game, it's normal to particularly enjoy or be fond of teams and follow them around even if they're not your hometown club, and going by that thought process it's doesn't seem outlandish to do the same with a football player.

People fall in love with all kinds of things in football. I watched us win, live, that 1999 CL against Bayern while I was 9 years old. I didn't even know who Man Utd was as a club. I was just a kid. I fell in love with something about Man Utd, maybe the wits, the fight, maybe I fell in love with Schmeichel, I don't even know, really. And here I am 25 years later still following the club closely.

Last edited:

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
I don’t think if offends anyone but it’s definitely weird the way some of ye are obsessively following the career of a has been bell end in a farmer’s league. Especially when said bell end has behaved like an absolute tool towards the club we support. Twice. Hence the sarky remarks when this thread is bumped.
For some of us Cristiano inspired a generation in the same way that Eric or Robbo did for previous generations. He’s a lot of people’s childhood hero. It might be weird to you but it’s a very normal thing in different parts of the world to have more oan affinity to a player rather than a team.

Him being a bell end to the club is debateable. He always gave his all on the pitch and he was utmost professional. He stayed in 2006 when the English press hounded him out and even after 2008 he gave us one more season despite it being clear that he always dreamed of Madrid.

Second time around is more complicated but at least he went public with the issues at the club, which was in the interests of everyone really. We got rid of an aging player and he got his mammoth payday in Riyadh.

Lest we forget that as a club we have only won the Champions League three times and Cristiano was the main reason we got the third. I’m sure this overrides him being bell end and for fans who can’t remember 99’ he’s responsible for our greatest moments supporting the club

Finally, on the farmer’s league point, there’s more to football than just the top 5 leagues in Europe. Perhaps with the Arab leagues it’s all considered artificial and a product of oil wealth and what have you, but if we go back in time and start discussing how England, Spain, Germany, France and Italy accumulated their wealth and status in the global heirarchy it might be a lengthy discussion…

Joel Miller

If that’s what you’re taking from this then fair enough, seems a bit childish really. I think the fact the thread is bumped back to the top every time he puts a goal away in the Middle East is the reason I often have a glance in the thread. Because let’s be honest, it’s so often right there on the front page.

And nah mate, I think the other guys had it spot on in that you just really like Ronaldo and can’t stop yourself getting angry with people who says bad things about him. You’ve been demonstrating this for an awful long time. Nothing wrong with being that way, but at least own it. @Pogue Mahone more or less summed it up.

So? He’s playing at a really poor level. There aren’t many players who’ll play till 40 in the Middle East purely for the sake of a scoring record that by that point will have a substantial number of goals tallied up at a less than respectable level.

There’ll be even less United fans interested in keeping count one by one after the way he treated the club, as evidenced here with you being one of about 2 or 3 people on a forum full of thousands of United fans, interested in doing so. Nothing wrong with having a favourite athlete or wanting to discuss them, but just bumping a thread up with a number any time they score in a lowly league in the middle east? Yeah it’s just weird to me, I hope that’s okay.

Last edited:

Pickle85

If that’s what you’re taking from this then fair enough, seems a bit childish really. I think the fact the thread is bumped back to the top every time he puts a goal away in the Middle East is the reason I often have a glance in the thread. Because let’s be honest, it’s so often right there on the front page.

And nah mate, I think the other guys had it spot on in that you just really like Ronaldo and can’t stop yourself getting angry with people who says bad things about him. You’ve been demonstrating this for an awful long time. Nothing wrong with being that way, but at least own it. @Pogue Mahone more or less summed it up.

So? He’s playing at a really poor level. There aren’t many players who’ll play till 40 in the Middle East purely for the sake of a scoring record that by that point will have a substantial number of goals tallied up at a less than respectable level.

There’ll be even less United fans interested in keeping count one by one after the way he treated the club, as evidenced here with you being one of about 2 or 3 people on a forum full of thousands of United fans, interested in doing so. Nothing wrong with having a favourite athlete or wanting to discuss them, but just bumping a thread up with a number any time they score in a lowly league in the middle east? Yeah it’s just weird to me, I hope that’s okay.
Believe what you want. I've said time and again that I've got no particular attachment to him these days. He was one of the best to play for us and I loved him at United the first time around but I also acknowledge that he's a self-centered, narcissistic bellend. I get annoyed when I see people actively wondering into a thread about a player just to slag posters off. To me, coming into a thread just to put posters that are posting about the subject of the thread down is weird behaviour.
There’s plenty of reasons for Manchester United fans to be pissed off at Ronaldo for reasons that have nothing to do with any other footballer. He’s just a dickhead and has been for years.
Well, yeah, no arguments from me on that. I just think folks that enter the thread just to dump on posters that are fans of his need to get out a bit more. Also, you look at most of the anti-ronaldo folks' posting history and you'll notice a correlation with Messi adoration. So yeah, although there are many reasons not to like Ronaldo as a united fan, most that knock him obsessively tend to be fans of the other guy.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's no harm, its just my personal opinion that it feels excessive. Im not trying to demand it should be otherwise.
Just think of it this way, every goal he scores is a new all time record, so in this regard maybe you shouldn’t feel it’s excessive.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
For some of us Cristiano inspired a generation in the same way that Eric or Robbo did for previous generations. He’s a lot of people’s childhood hero. It might be weird to you but it’s a very normal thing in different parts of the world to have more oan affinity to a player rather than a team.

Him being a bell end to the club is debateable. He always gave his all on the pitch and he was utmost professional. He stayed in 2006 when the English press hounded him out and even after 2008 he gave us one more season despite it being clear that he always dreamed of Madrid.

Second time around is more complicated but at least he went public with the issues at the club, which was in the interests of everyone really. We got rid of an aging player and he got his mammoth payday in Riyadh.

Lest we forget that as a club we have only won the Champions League three times and Cristiano was the main reason we got the third. I’m sure this overrides him being bell end and for fans who can’t remember 99’ he’s responsible for our greatest moments supporting the club

Finally, on the farmer’s league point, there’s more to football than just the top 5 leagues in Europe. Perhaps with the Arab leagues it’s all considered artificial and a product of oil wealth and what have you, but if we go back in time and start discussing how England, Spain, Germany, France and Italy accumulated their wealth and status in the global heirarchy it might be a lengthy discussion
A point that should never be forgotten. And also to not forget which country was the primary driver in the creation of the modern Arab/Gulf states.

SirAF

Ageist

1. Doesn't matter, all that matters is the official number.

2. Then don't go into the Ronaldo thread? Like I said, the only weird thing is to hang out in the thread of a player you dislike.

Well, yeah, no arguments from me on that. I just think folks that enter the thread just to dump on posters that are fans of his need to get out a bit more. Also, you look at most of the anti-ronaldo folks' posting history and you'll notice a correlation with Messi adoration. So yeah, although there are many reasons not to like Ronaldo as a united fan, most that knock him obsessively tend to be fans of the other guy.
Exactly. I don't have a single post in the little guy's thread. Why would I? Now, let's move on and stop feeding the trolls.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A point that should never be forgotten. And also to not forget which country was the primary driver in the creation of the modern Arab/Gulf states.
Why? It’s completely irrelevant to this discussion. Which is about Ronaldo stat padding in a shite league. The Saudis could have made their money inventing a cure for cancer and it wouldn’t make their league any less shite.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Why? It’s completely irrelevant to this discussion. Which is about Ronaldo stat padding in a shite league. The Saudis could have made their money inventing a cure for cancer and it wouldn’t make their league any less shite.
The Saudi league being shite is your opinion. Of course it is not as strong as the top 5 European leagues, but it has a rich history of its own and it is highly respected and followed in Asia and especially the Arab world. Football is a global game and many in the region or with ties to the region are delighted that Cristiano is bringing more eyeballs to this “farmer’s league”.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It was good point but indeed something for a different thread.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The Saudi league being shite is your opinion. Of course it is not as strong as the top 5 European leagues, but it has a rich history of its own and it is highly respected and followed in Asia and especially the Arab world. Football is a global game and many in the region or with ties to the region are delighted that Cristiano is bringing more eyeballs to this “farmer’s league”.
I’m Irish and I can assure you there’s a lot of league of Ireland fans who would have been delighted if Ronaldo set up shop over here. It doesn’t make our league any less shite though. Similarly, the Saudi league having lots of fans in the region doesn’t make the league any less shite.

brunoag4

The Saudi league being shite is your opinion.
No, it's the universal opinion. The moment you put Saudi League and European Leagues in the same sentence as rivals, you will receive a lot of laughing emojis.

Of course it is not as strong as the top 5 European leagues
not even top-25..
even worse than Cypriot league, Bundesliga 2nd division
www.givemesport.com/what-are-the-best-leagues-in-the-world/

“farmer’s league”
Many Ronaldo fans were calling 5th ranked Ligue 1 "a farmer's league".
Using their high standards, Saudi League is not even qualified to be a farmer's league, probably a type of "farmer's league 4th division" or something.

evil_geko

No it's not ffs, it is a shite league. It can have richest history in the world, it will still be shite quality wise.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
I’m Irish and I can assure you there’s a lot of league of Ireland fans who would have been delighted if Ronaldo set up shop over here. It doesn’t make our league any less shite though. Similarly, the Saudi league having lots of fans in the region doesn’t make the league any less shite.
You can’t compare the Irish league to the Saudi league, especially if you’re not familiar with the latter.

The Saudi league has had a long tradition of snapping up some of the best players in the Arab world as well as taking some of the top talents in the Latin American leagues that opt for a big day in the Gulf rather than build their careers in the European leagues. It’s a fun league to watch, there’s some real mercurial talents out there

Either way, I would find it disrespectful to call the Irish league shite too. One man’s trash is another man’s pleas

No, it's the universal opinion. The moment you put Saudi League and European Leagues in the same sentence as rivals, you will receive a lot of laughing emojis.

not even top-25..
even worse than Cypriot league, Bundesliga 2nd division
www.givemesport.com/what-are-the-best-leagues-in-the-world/

Many Ronaldo fans were calling 5th ranked Ligue 1 "a farmer's league".
Using their high standards, Saudi League is not even qualified to be a farmer's league, probably a type of "farmer's league 4th division" or something.
This is because there’s a big gap in squads between the top 5-6 teams and the remaining teams. The gap is being closed now with the new investments and the league is becoming more competitive.

The saudi league is ultra shit
The Saudi league is so crap that Stevie G got a job managing one of the teams.
No it's not ffs, it is a shite league. It can have richest history in the world, it will still be shite quality wise.
As I said… the quality of the Saudi league may not be all that but to call it shite is just your opinions.

Somebody who’s first league to follow is the Saudi league, or even second or third league, is unlikely to call it a shite league.

If you overcome your prejudices and give the league a chance, then you will grow familiar with its players, fan culture etc. and it will become more entertaining and exciting for you. There are some real ballers in that league that are not known to Europe who really fun to watch. The style of play is also easy on the eye, they generally keep the ball on the floor and play attacking football.

Sails

Supports
Galatasaray
I like Ronaldo but the Saudi League sure is horrendous to watch. Turns out I don't like him enough to endure it. It's sad to see him play there.

Critical Thinking

Fans are too often unfairly ungrateful to a player who made a great contribution to the greatness of the club all things considered. He is 38 and still more decisive than so many young strikers playing there.

Nobody including himself is trying to oversell his performances or those of the local league.

I am not interested in what he is doing since he left the club but will always have a great respect for what he did and who he is.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Fans are too often unfairly ungrateful to the player who made a great contribution to the greatness of the club all things considered. He is 38 and still more decisive than so many youngest strikers there. Nobody including himself is trying to oversell his performances or those of the local league.

I am not interested by what he is doing since he left the club but will always have a great respect for what he did and who he is.
For sure 2006-2009 were the Ronaldo years. Not in the sense that he was the sole world class player, but in the sense it felt like we had the best player in the world, not recaptured otherwise since George Best.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For sure 2006-2009 were the Ronaldo years. Not in the sense that he was the sole world class player, but in the sense it felt like we had the best player in the world, not recaptured otherwise since George Best.
Yet “the Ronaldo years” weren’t particularly amazing compared to seasons before and since. It’s not as though he lifted the club out of the doldrums when he graced us with his presence. Plus he fecked off to play for his dream club before he peaked as a footballer.

He was a very good player for us and it was undeniably exciting seeing him blossom into the best player in the league but we’ve had the best player in the league on multiple occasions at this club. So let’s not get too carried away about his time with Manchester United. It wasn’t all that special.

Gehrman

Yet “the Ronaldo years” weren’t particularly amazing compared to seasons before and since. It’s not as though he lifted the club out of the doldrums when he graced us with his presence. Plus he fecked off to play for his dream club before he peaked as a footballer.

He was a very good player for us and it was undeniably exciting seeing him blossom into the best player in the league but we’ve had the best player in the league on multiple occasions at this club. So let’s not get too carried away about his time with Manchester United. It wasn’t all that special.
Why do you think fans were singing viva Ronaldo long after he was gone?

Pickle85

Eh? He won one of our three European cups with us. You think that doesn't qualify as special? We've certainly had the best player in the league on many occasions but it's rarer that we've had a player right up there as best in the world. I think you're doing his time with us down.

Gehrman

Same reason we still sing about Cantona, even longer after he left, presumably. An important player who had a catchy song. One of many important players over the years.
Yeah because they were iconic. Cantona was our catalyst for domestic dominance. Ronaldo was our x factor for European dominance. And then he fecked off true enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Eh? He won one of our three European cups with us. You think that doesn't qualify as special? We've certainly had the best player in the league on many occasions but it's rarer that we've had a player right up there as best in the world. I think you're doing his time with us down.
Meh. We made the final of the same competition shortly after we sold him. Where we were unlucky to face a Guardiola managed Barca team that were considerably better than the Chelsea side we beat on penalties with Ronaldo in the team. Cup competitions are won and lost on fine margins anyway. It’s not as though we suddenly started punching massively above our weight due to his influence. Or fell apart when he left.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Meh. We made the final of the same competition shortly after we sold him. Where were unlucky to face a Barca team that were considerably better than the Chelsea side we beat on penalties with Ronaldo in the team. Cup competitions are won and lost on fine margins anyway. It’s not as though we suddenly started punching massively above our weight due to his influence. Or fell apart when he left.
Its not entirely about that. In the Cantona days, fans mostly wanted Giggs, Cantona or Beckham shirts. In Ronaldo´s best years at the club, everyone wanted shirt with Ronaldo on their back. Also Ronaldo scored our only goal in the final despite missing his penalty in the shootout. But many of his most memorable moments still came for Man Utd. For sure Madrid got the bargain of the century when they bought him, but football is an entertainment industry and Ronaldo delivered for some time while he was here.

Gehrman

See above. Our success in Europe after he left was similar to when he was still here. Plus we never dominated in Europe, either with or without him.
He scored our only goal in the 2008 final. Then he scored iconic goals in quarters and semi final in 2009. We lost that one though to a better team. We didnt dominate europe like Real Madrid did later on, but we went unbeaten for a record amount of time I think.

Hozierstanks

No, it’s weird, you don’t even see it for other players, I can’t even recall seeing it done for United players during the many years I’ve read the forum[/B]. It’s even weirder given the level he’s playing at and his recent behaviour towards the club. And as probably the most aggressive and frequently triggered poster throughout this whole thread, it’s even weirder for you to be the one trying to make a big deal of what I said :lol:
I think it was done for ronaldo and his free kicks with a countdown to passing Beckhams. Someone also said when they went to matches someone was counting out loud the number of corners we had and not scoring a goal :lol: