Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't think Messi sold out. He wanted to stay at Barcelona.

Laporta slyly forced him out.
I mean he wouldn't take a pay cut even though his wages were bankrupting the club, so went to PSG who obviously aren't paying him an average wage. Whether that's selling out or not I don't know, as mentioned above he also signed a mega deal with Saudis.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Pele "sold out" to New York Cosmos at 35 y.o. Just saying.
Pele made $1m in his career, its a bit different.

He made around $100m after his playing career. There wasn't a lot of money in football in his early days

justsomebloke

Any person will maximise their earnings while they can esp with shorter careers like sports , it doesn't really matter what they've earned in the past. That's why even Messi is taking 25m from the Saudis to market their country.
I think that's rubbish. A lot of people will, obviously. But there is absolutely no reason why we should think of this as natural or inevitable. Firstly, most players clearly do not act on the basis of single-mindedly maximising their earnings. If that was the case, the chinese league would have been full of prime talent years ago, and Ronaldo and Messi would already be playing in Saudi Arabia. Ronaldo will make about 7 times what he did at United, which was already an absurdly high wage, but he would have taken much less to play for a top club in Eurpoe, if anyone would have had him. Clearly, top football players generally do not simply act to maximise their earnings, with no other considerations impinging.

Then there's people like Eric Cantona, who'd rather have self-respect than even more money. Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Shai-Hulud

played for us with pride when he was asked to and when he wasn't be on the sidelines cheering on the team and helping out the young players
Not really possible for such a huge narcissist. The only player he wants success for is himself.

BlueHaze

The reddit conspiracy theorists were actually right all along.

The theory was that he came out and did that interview with Piers because he knew the club would have no other option but to break his contract and he did it because he had an offer from a middle eastern club which had so much money on the table that he was desperate to get his contract with United torn up so he could sign.

Conspiracy theory proven correct.

He is scum.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I mean he wouldn't take a pay cut even though his wages were bankrupting the club, so went to PSG who obviously aren't paying him an average wage. Whether that's selling out or not I don't know, as mentioned above he also signed a mega deal with Saudis.
Not true, Messi agreed to half his salary, but Spanish law said it was illegal (the law in Spain is your can't half an employees wages) so they had to let him go, they effectively couldn't register him.

He was going to take a major pay cut.

Steven7290

Any person will maximise their earnings while they can esp with shorter careers like sports , it doesn't really matter what they've earned in the past. That's why even Messi is taking 25m from the Saudis to market their country.
While that applies in general, Ronaldo himself stated that he wants goals, records, top level football more than he does money as he has a lot in the bank.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Pele made $1m in his career, its a bit different.

He made around $100m after his playing career. There wasn't a lot of money in football in his early days
So? It's still freaking 270m for basically playing a friendly game once a week.

TheGame

Pele "sold out" to New York Cosmos at 35 y.o.
Beckenbauer to New York Cosmos at 32.
Cruyff to LA Aztec at 31.

Just saying.
Those players didn’t throw a tantrum like a baby when being asked to come on as a sub and then act like everyone was interested in them but then settled for a move for money when no one decent wanted them.

Unam333

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for him? Although I agree that ultimately his ego and stubbornness has led to a somewhat dismal end to his otherwise impressive career.
You're definitely not the only one, but I don't feel sad for a multi millionaire and a narcissist. I'm sure Ronaldo doesn't give damn about us "poor", common people laughing at him.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Don't think Messi sold out. He wanted to stay at Barcelona.

Laporta slyly forced him out.
Money is the root to all evil. Messi wouldn’t stay at Barca for a dime less than his previous deal. Messi could have also played anywhere else, any league, but took the wage packet he missed out on at Barca.

let’s face it, Messi need not receive a weekly wage and he’d still make ridiculous money off sponsorship.

Unbelievable Baller and one of the best ever seen, but he couldn’t get the money anymore at Barca so took the silver spoon and easy life of PSG

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think that's rubbish. A lot of people will, obviously. But there is absolutely no reason why we should think of this as natural or inevitable. Firstly, most players clearly do not act on the basis of single-mindedly maximising their earnings. If that was the case, the chinese league would have been full of prime talent years ago, and Ronaldo and Messi would already be playing in Saudi Arabia. Ronaldo will make about 7 times what he did at United, which was already an absurdly high wage, but he would have taken much less to play for a top club in Eurpoe, if anyone would have had him. Clearly, top football players generally do not simply act to maximise their earnings, with no other considerations impinging.

Then there's people like Eric Cantona, who'd rather have self-respect than even more money. Seems perfectly sensible to me.
At this stage of their careers there is no doubt they will have one eye on the money, it obviously wasn't an issue when they were at their peaks.

You can call it greed if you want, but I'm sure the majority of people would take the money.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
So? It's still freaking 270m for basically playing a friendly game once a week.
Ronaldo is only getting paid £450k a day, or £5.60 a second. I don't think its selling out... is it?

Djemba-Djemba

Can't see him staying very long unless it's a deal of the sort that he's only there for games and some part-time training. As soon as the very modest western interest in that league he may cause fades out I expect his life to become very very boring.
Yep.

There'll be the initial media buzz for his first few games but once the novelty has worn off he's going to be stuck playing in a dogshit league, in tiny stadiums that nobody cares about.

I can't see his ego putting up with it for long.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Still can't believe no CL clubs offered him a bench role at the very least but his ego wouldn't accept that, he wants to start AND be paid a fortune, 2 things you are in no position to demand at the age of 37.

Guy really fecked up the way he treated United.. could of been a role model for the youngsters, gone down as a club legend and played a part under ten Hag whilst collecting big wages AND remaining in the public eye. People will probably tune in for 1 Saudi game and forget about him, really sad end to his career.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Those players didn’t throw a tantrum like a baby when being asked to come on as a sub and then act like everyone was interested in them but then settled for a move for money when no one decent wanted them.
Agreed. But they're not 38 y.o. player who knew he can't hack it in top teams either.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
While that applies in general, Ronaldo himself stated that he wants goals, records, top level football more than he does money as he has a lot in the bank.
Well we can safely say Ronaldo chats a lot of bollox after recent actions.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Money is the root to all evil. Messi wouldn’t stay at Barca for a dime less than his previous deal. Messi could have also played anywhere else, any league, but took the wage packet he missed out on at Barca.

let’s face it, Messi need not receive a weekly wage and he’d still make ridiculous money off sponsorship.

Unbelievable Baller and one of the best ever seen, but he couldn’t get the money anymore at Barca so took the silver spoon and easy life of PSG
None of what you said is true though.

Again Messi agreed to half his salary, but Spanish law doesn't allow for that, so they couldn't register him.

You cannot, as an employer in Spain give lower than 50%, and Messi agreed to 50% but Barca couldn't even register him because of ther financial issues.

JB7

Only he wasn't sacked. He forced his own exit. From a job which paid him about 20m quid a year. Also, most people who find themselves out of a job doesn't already possess way more money than they could ever hope to spend. But obviously a final fat paycheck to add further infinity to his spending prospects matters more to him than proving he's still a viable player at a high level. Maybe he prefers to let the size of the paycheck feed his ego, since his on-pitch performance no longer can.
Yeah and he’s ended up with a job paying him four times as much. You’d like to think being dropped by his country was the penny finally dropping in his head that he just couldn’t cut it at that level anymore, so why not take the money in that instance? The way he left was poor but it’ll be largely forgotten about in the fullness of time and he’ll be remembered fondly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ronaldo is only getting paid £450k a day, or £5.60 a second. I don't think its selling out... is it?
It's just insane money. More so for a player that knew he is not a top player anymore. I don't think any player would say no to that offer at his situation.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yeah and he’s ended up with a job paying him four times as much. You’d like to think being dropped by his country was the penny finally dropping in his head that he just couldn’t cut it at that level anymore, so why not take the money in that instance? The way he left was poor but it’ll be largely forgotten about in the fullness of time and he’ll be remembered fondly.
Up until the final year at Juventus will be, everything after that will be a bitter period imo

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not true, Messi agreed to half his salary, but Spanish law said it was illegal (the law in Spain is your can't half an employees wages) so they had to let him go, they effectively couldn't register him.

He was going to take a major pay cut.
"The reason it's a five-year deal is that it is likely that Messi will play the next two years but it's a longer deal so that he stays linked to the club as an ambassador. But the talk is he might go to MLS after two years while still being paid by the club.

"It's a way for Barcelona to spread out the payment over five years. That's part of the reason he's been able to take such a massive cut of around 50 per cent."

Wasn't really a pay cut just make it easier for Barca to pay his full wages.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's just insane money. More so for a player that knew he is not a top player anymore. I don't think any player would say no to that offer at his situation.
I wouldn't say no to it even it I was 30.

I'd do a full Oscar move and go

justsomebloke

That's not the way things work though, you keep earning until you can't, you can't maintain the same standard of life while you are working after you retire.

As for the latter part i think it's being surrounded by yes people, I don't believe he has a genuinely good advisor around him. I totally agree he has handled it so poorly.
Oh, come on. "Not the way things work", "everyone maximises their earnings". What fecking nonsense. Reality is not like this. There are choices, and people make different ones. The real world doesn't correspond to such feeble generalisations. Don't tell me you actually believe the world is that simple.

"You can't maintain the same standard of life while you are working after you retire"? Seriously? Did you take even two milliseconds to consider the validity of that statement in this context? His net worth is 500 million dollars. He's got several lifetimes worth of a standard of life that includes multiple mansions and legendary sports car collections. It's not like he needs to take care of his pension. If you have 500 million but want another 200 I'm sure it could be discussed what word should be used for that , but it sure as feck isn't "retirement security".

OleGunnar20

Somebody needs to tell Cristiano that the only thing you can't get back in life is time. When you are already worth 500Millions and have plenty of ways to keep making more, you shouldn't throw 1-2 years of your life away in Saudi Arabia for no other reason than moar money. It is just plain idiotic. Maybe he should get better life coaches than Jordan fecking Peterson and get on with his life.
Well said. It's madness really, but not suprising. The guys mental.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think City had known Messi was heading out, so they couldn't get him. Whatever you think of PSG, they're still a top side.

This isn't comparable to the Ronaldo signing at all. Messi didn't do an interview complaining about being disrespected at a top club. The same interview he claims he can still play for a top club(and doesn't care about money) only to go back on his words and then sign for money in the end(when he could have done so in the summer).

Ronaldo looks like a proper fool for his actions throughout the last few months.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The whole point is for the last pay day, plenty of players have done it, for example Beckham and Bale. It's not sad, he'll be earning more money than he ever has before for a couple of years.

I don't have an issue with sportsmen chasing some extra cash their careers are really short and should make the most of it.
You keep ignoring the fact that he already has more money than he can ever spend, namely 500 million. And it will grow faster than he can spend even if he does nothing. No other player has ever been in his situation, but he still sells one thing he cannot buy - time, for money? What if he dies in two years?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Still can't believe no CL clubs offered him a bench role at the very least but his ego wouldn't accept that, he wants to start AND be paid a fortune, 2 things you are in no position to demand at the age of 37.

Guy really fecked up the way he treated United.. could of been a role model for the youngsters, gone down as a club legend and played a part under ten Hag whilst collecting big wages AND remaining in the public eye. People will probably tune in for 1 Saudi game and forget about him, really sad end to his career.
I doubt he genuinely had any offers from any CL club. Besides what CL team in their right minds would pay his salary to be a bench player. The whole story doesn't make sense.

mu4c_20le

None of what you said is true though.

Again Messi agreed to half his salary, but Spanish law doesn't allow for that, so they couldn't register him.

You cannot, as an employer in Spain give lower than 50%, and Messi agreed to 50% but Barca couldn't even register him because of ther financial issues.
“What I did hope was that he would have a change of heart, that he’d say: ‘I’ll play for free’. My understanding is that La Liga would have accepted it, but we couldn’t ask a player of Messi’s stature to do that.”

It's Messi, they would've bent the rules for him.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You keep ignoring the fact that he already has more money than he can ever spend, namely 500 million. And it will grow faster than he can spend even if he does nothing. No other player has ever been in his situation, but he still sells one thing he cannot buy - time, for money? What if he dies in two years?
So what does he do now? Just retire? There's no other CL team that wants him. Why would he say no to such an obscene contract for a few years?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Is this projection? Because a shit load of people don't do that at all. This is valid for all income classes. I don't think it's even the majority who do that.

In my job we're also offered anywhere from 3.5 to 10 times our pay if we go to Arabia. Still very frw do and the job offerings keep coming.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
How do you know how much money he has and need?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Oh, come on. "Not the way things work", "everyone maximises their earnings". What fecking nonsense. Reality is not like this. There are choices, and people make different ones. The real world doesn't correspond to such feeble generalisations. Don't tell me you actually believe the world is that simple.

"You can't maintain the same standard of life while you are working after you retire"? Seriously? Did you take even two milliseconds to consider the validity of that statement in this context? His net worth is 500 million dollars. He's got several lifetimes worth of a standard of life that includes multiple mansions and legendary sports car collections. It's not like he needs to take care of his pension. If you have 500 million but want another 200 I'm sure it could be discussed what word should be used for that , but it sure as feck isn't "retirement security".
I mean there's a reason he's worth 500m, if he had the same thought process on economics as you he would never have got there.