Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

MrEleson

Ronaldo used to be a kick and run merchant in a similar vain as Bale. But some don't seem to realize that.
His skills were mostly used for showboating

Look at these highlights - add his current speed and acceleration and there's no way he's beating or even skipping past some of those players.
You chose a clip that was specially created to highlight his speed not his dribbling. I can equally share a compilation where he’s just simply dribbling players and not necessarily utilising just speed.

Also, saying he was a kick and run merchant like Bale is a disservice to him and simply not true. Here’s one of him dribbling from just one season and not even his best:

MrEleson

It has nothing to do with preference. That's why I listened a wide variety of players who have completely different styles and applications. See, my definition of technique in a football context is balance and motoric ability with a football. And the players I mentioned simply have a different quality on the ball then Cristiano.

Consider somebody like Isco for example. He's always in perfect control of his body and center of gravity and at the same time he hits the ball incredibly cleanly with every touch. There's never a sign of the ball "controlling him" in the sense that he has to do "correction touches" because he hit it a little bit too much with the inside or outside of the foot while dribbling or got the angle/length of the touch wrong. And at the same time, he is capable of technically completely outrageous things that even Ronaldinho would be proud of at times. And those touches don't seem to be learned "by heart" like Cristiano's footworks in empty space during his showboateing days but they're natural to him as evidenced by the quality of his touches. Iniesta is completely different stylewise but he all of the aforementioned have this cleanness and absolute control of their touches at perfect balance in common. And that feeling of how to "manipulate" a football often reflects in the passing technique as well - how to bend it, how to flick it, etc. As good as Cristiano was, he never had that to the same extent. A great player but not as insanely talented with a football.

And by the way, that doesn't mean that he's not a better dribbler. Dribbling I think has much more to do with anticipation, decision making, situational and spacial awareness, etc. and Cristiano absolutely excels in these areas. I disagree for instance with @GifLord that he just ran past defenders. He could beat multiple players in tight spaces as well and he knew very well when and where to dribble. It's just that his technique wasn't at an all time great level. Similar to how somebody like Dembele is a far better dribbler than, say, Bernardo Silva, although Silva has a technique Dembele can only dream of.
Fair enough. You reasoning is a lot clearer here and I agree with a lot of it but some of the names you included were OTT for me.

MrEleson

Simple question
Would Ronaldo still be as good as he was if he had half the speed/acceleration?
That doesn’t mean anything. Even the likes of Ronaldinho and R9 could no longer beat players the same after they lost some speed. Doesn’t mean that they weren’t exceptional dribblers beforehand.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You chose a clip that was specially created to highlight his speed not his dribbling. I can equally share a compilation where he’s just simply dribbling players and not necessarily utilising just speed.

Also, saying he was a kick and run merchant like Bale is a disservice to him and simply not true. Here’s one of him dribbling from just one season and not even his best:

It's basically the same as the one I posted. He uses speed and acceleration as one of his main assets to beat the defenders. Why do you think he suddenly stopped doing that as soon as his speed declined? He was already having issues beating players in Serie A 5 years ago.
He's a good dribbler but he's not on the top echelon like some on here believe. Comparisons to Ronaldinho are laughable.

MrEleson

It's basically the same as the one I posted. He uses speed and acceleration as one of his main assets to beat the defenders. Why do you think he suddenly stopped doing that as soon as his speed declined? He was already having issues beating players in Serie A 5 years ago.
He's a good dribbler but he's not on the top echelon like some on here believe. Comparisons to Ronaldinho are laughable.
Didn’t make any comparison to Ronaldinho. I was just letting you know that using speed doesn’t mean he’s a kick and rush player like you stated considering Ronaldinho’s dribbling ability declined substantially once he deteriorated physically. He was basically doing everything on the spot and passing the ball on as early as 30/31 and no-one will tell you he particularly relied on speed.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There were tons of players as quick as Ronaldo. Robben, young Giggs, Bale... Even the likes of Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright Phillips.
That's why im saying you don't need to be a great dribbler as long as you're fast enough to beat the defender - Adama Traore is a prime example.
Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright Philips are good examples for my point since they were much quicker but not nearly as proficient at dribbling as Cristiano. Cristiano possessed very good dribbling technique and especially very good situational awareness. Or in other words, he knew where space would open up and had the technical and physical abilities to dribble there. Somebody like Lennon probably had the physical ability but lacked both the situational awareness and the technical ability to do it at the same level. Traore e. g. has the technique plus the physique but because he's awful in decision making and awareness, his dribbles rarely create anything.

See, I'm generally on your side that Cristiano isn't an all time great technician but claiming his dribbling completely relied on physique is also wrong. There is much more to it and there are videos with very impressive dribbling skills by him.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright Philips are good examples for my point since they were much quicker but not nearly as proficient at dribbling as Cristiano. Cristiano possessed very good dribbling technique and especially very good situational awareness. Or in other words, he knew where space would open up and had the technical and physical abilities to dribble there. Somebody like Lennon probably had the physical ability but lacked both the situational awareness and the technical ability to do it at the same level. Traore e. g. has the technique plus the physique but because he's awful in decision making and awareness, his dribbles rarely create anything.

See, I'm generally on your side that Cristiano isn't an all time great technician but claiming his dribbling completely relied on physique is also wrong. There is much more to it and there are videos with very impressive dribbling skills by him.
Yeah one the things about Giggs was the blistering pace and his speed running with the ball. Valencia had insane pace but couldnt beat a defender once they figured out how to beat stop his only trick.

Gehrman

Huge game against Al-Adalah tomorrow
Since Messi didnt score against Lyon, Ronnie will bury Messi if he scores. I take it Messi will be placed on chop chop square in mecca for the final hit. He might be short enough to wiggle himself out it.

ScholesyTheWise

I think we are not talking about the same sport if you do not feel Zidane or Iniesta are technically better than Ronaldo. You could as well say Ronaldo has almost the same quality technique as Maradona or Platini. Ronaldo used to cover his technical shortcomings with power and speed but once his athleticism is gone, he is gone too. There's a reason why he has been playing as a poacher camping in the penalty box for so long, the guy knows his limitations better than others. It's been a regular event that people make fun of his ball control, poor passing, limited vision etc. at both the club and NT level.
I should state that I really dislike Ronaldo, and the post you quoted is one of the most complimentary I ever wrote about him.

Iniesta, Zidane, Ronaldinho... they're quite obviously better than Ronaldo at one-two's, body feints, short passing, how the treat a football...
And I get that this is what most people mean by "technique".

But I think that the term is broader than that. His shooting technique won't be matched by many.
headers- you'd think that the very best in the game (not that Ronaldo is in that tier but he's quite good) are doing something more than just jumping and pushing their necks forwards toward the ball... idk, maybe I'm wrong on that one.

I think, as an example, that Beckham and KDB have outstanding technique,
But they can't o what Iniesta or Zidane do with a football. and vice versa.

heraklion

I should state that I really dislike Ronaldo, and the post you quoted is one of the most complimentary I ever wrote about him.

Iniesta, Zidane, Ronaldinho... they're quite obviously better than Ronaldo at one-two's, body feints, short passing, how the treat a football...

But I think that the term is broader than that. His shooting technique won't be matched by many.
headers- you'd think that the very best in the game (not that Ronaldo is in that tier but he's quite good) are doing something more than just jumping and pushing their necks forwards toward the ball... idk, maybe I'm wrong on that one.

Fair enough, I think disagreements on this thread are mostly down to definitional stuff. Everybody seems to have his own definition of technique.

I always associated technique with elite passing, ball control, vision, that elegant, creative action coming out of nowhere like Messi's assist against Netherlands in the last WC etc. rather than shooting for example, so maybe I am automatically thinking of playmaking skills rather than technique when talking about technique as I have always used these two words kind of interchangeably.

jm99

We're now just 3 points ahead of where we were last season despite 250m in signings and a much better manager, maybe its possible that last season's version of ronaldo wasn't actually holding us back, and that running about a lot up front isn't more important than someone being able to score goals. Granted this season Ronaldo did look finished but the people who say the guy scoring 18 goals up front was holding us back just don't like Ronaldo

GinobiliTheGOAT

We're now just 3 points ahead of where we were last season despite 250m in signings and a much better manager, maybe its possible that last season's version of ronaldo wasn't actually holding us back, and that running about a lot up front isn't more important than someone being able to score goals. Granted this season Ronaldo did look finished but the people who say the guy scoring 18 goals up front was holding us back just don't like Ronaldo
wrong, epl was much weaker last season, 20% of Ronaldo’s goals were against Norwich. United are inarguably a MUCH better team this season than last. It’s not even debatable, and letting Ronaldo and his toxicity go certainly helped.

jm99

wrong, epl was much weaker last season, 20% of Ronaldo’s goals were against Norwich. United are inarguably a MUCH better team this season than last. It’s not even debatable, and letting Ronaldo and his toxicity go certainly helped.
We're a much better team because we signed 250m worth of players including the best DM in the world and have a much better manager, not because we replaced Ronaldo with weghorst. We'd be much better with last season's version of Ronaldo leading the line in this side

Gazza

Ronaldo wasn’t making us a better team and that’s what is most important when you’re paying someone a kings ransom to do just that. His behavior was in fact a negative influence in our squad by the end. So glad we are rid of him, we are just so much better off without him in every way.

GinobiliTheGOAT

We're a much better team because we signed 250m worth of players including the best DM in the world and have a much better manager, not because we replaced Ronaldo with weghorst. We'd be much better with last season's version of Ronaldo leading the line in this side
addition by subtraction as well, Ronaldo was a big issue in the locker room. Even if he was still with the team he wouldn’t be a nailed starter which speaks volumes about his value

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Dearie me....

jm99

addition by subtraction as well, Ronaldo was a big issue in the locker room. Even if he was still with the team he wouldn’t be a nailed starter which speaks volumes about his value
He wouldn't be based on this seasons form I'm talking about Ronaldo last year who people said was holding us back, but even though he was playingwith a mcfred midfield and rashford looked like he forgot how to play football, we're only 3 points better off after 27 games. Ronaldo of last year would definitely be starting up front, ahead of weghorst ffs

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He wouldn't be based on this seasons form I'm talking about Ronaldo last year who people said was holding us back, but even though he was playingwith a mcfred midfield and rashford looked like he forgot how to play football, we're only 3 points better off after 27 games. Ronaldo of last year would definitely be starting up front, ahead of weghorst ffs
Don't forget the Wegmonster runs around a lot though.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Modric, Marcelo, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Isco, Thiago, Neymar, Ronaldinho and Zidane are 10 players whose careers at least overlapped with Cristiano's and were undeniably better technically. And then there still are Ribery, Robben, Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Dybala, Kroos, David Silva, de Bruyne, Berbatov, Bernardo Silva, Özil, di Maria, Fabregas, Henry, Mbappe, Kaka ... who have a fair shout, too.

Didn't keep him from being clearly better than all of them bar one. I don't know what it is about Cristiano that always makes people pretend he is/was something he doesn't. His career is so outstanding that there wouldn't even be the need for it.
There is no way Dybala and Berbatov are technically better than Ronaldo, not even better than the goalscorer version of Ronaldo btw.

People are making way too many hyperboles in this thread, it's not black and white.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
The comparison is fair, as both R9 and Ronaldinho barely dribble once they lost speed due to being out of shape.

R9 specifically used to do a lot of kick and run, cause be was fast as a bolt lighting...and there is nothing wrong with that.

GifLord

The comparison is fair, as both R9 and Ronaldinho barely dribble once they lost speed due to being out of shape.

R9 specifically used to do a lot of kick and run, cause be was fast as a bolt lighting...and there is nothing wrong with that.
Yeah but he was skilled to do this in tight spaces

jm99

Don't forget the Wegmonster runs around a lot though.
I think some people become so obsessed with Ronaldo's lack of pressing last season that they've convinced themselves that running about a lot is the most important attribute for a striker

GinobiliTheGOAT

No he absolutely wouldn’t. He doesn’t press and without goals he offers you zilch. Come on now, you’re just reeling of desperation. Club is inarguably better this year. With Ronaldo this year they’d def be worse having to force play through him all the time. It’s no surprise rashford has been a hundred times better since Ronaldo left. There’s a reason NO club in Europe wanted Ronaldo because he wouldn’t help at all. No work rate, and his diva attitude is toxic. He was benched during a World Cup ffs. Just give it up

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Isn’t that young Ronaldo once made/completed 20/14 dribbles in one CL game? Must be some kind of record there (or among one of those)

I mean let’s be abit more fair, for someone who has been regarded by some here as “kick and run merchant” who is so average technically and only looks good on 5 mins footage, it’s impossible right?

Last edited:

jm99

No he absolutely wouldn’t. He doesn’t press and without goals he offers you zilch. Come on now, you’re just reeling of desperation. Club is inarguably better this year. With Ronaldo this year they’d def be worse having to force play through him all the time. It’s no surprise rashford has been a hundred times better since Ronaldo left. There’s a reason NO club in Europe wanted Ronaldo because he wouldn’t help at all. No work rate, and his diva attitude is toxic. He was benched during a World Cup ffs. Just give it up
He was benched during a world cup during this season, I'm talking about last season where he scored 18 goals. We're only 3 points better off this season than last season after the same number of games, despite having casemiro, Antony, martinez, malacia and eriksen. And having a proper manager, and having rashford actually be able to play football again (no matter how much you want to blame that on Ronaldo he wasn't the one stopping rashford from being able to beat a man or hit a shot on target). Given all that, it might have helped to have someone who can actually score goals up front rather than weghorst

MrEleson

So in your opinion, 2 goals in 19 games is compensated for by pressing. You’re hilarious. You may aswell lump any piece of meat up there that can run then because according to you offering “pressing” and zilch is better than offering goals.

Btw, we’re just 3 points better off this season than the same point last season and actually worse off than the 20/21 season. This is despite vastly improving the personnel in our XI (additions of Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez, etc)

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
There is no way Dybala and Berbatov are technically better than Ronaldo, not even better than the goalscorer version of Ronaldo btw.

People are making way too many hyperboles in this thread, it's not black and white.
Zehner is known for confusing flair and drinking with talent.

Next you’ll hear Adel Taraabt had better technique than Ronaldo.

Saying Berbatov was ever even in the same ball park as Ronaldo when it comes to technical ability means you really don’t understand the game nor Ronaldo when it comes to this. Or you’ve watched too many berbatov first touch highlights

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah but he was skilled to do this in tight spaces
something Ronaldo would also do pretty often. Except Ronaldo dominated as a winger as well where he regularly dribbled past him player or beat his man from the corner flag.

People conveniently forget all of that because he started scoring more goals

troylocker

Ronnies most outstanding qualities in his peak was his explosive pace (both with and without the ball), athletism and his ability to get into good positions to be available for service or get a shot away. Now's he's left with just the latter.
He has never been goat level when it comes to technique, finishing, passing, playmaking or dribbling, despite being good to really good in all these aspects.

His finishing has actually never been world class, despite producing a lot of world class finishes over the years. He's just taken a lot of shots, a lot, the most! In that regard, getting on the end of chances and getting into positions where he can shoot, he might be the best ever. Averaging 7 shots per 90 over a season is just insane. (This season - Haaland: 3,79, Osimhen: 4,55, Kane: 3,66, Lewandowski: 4,28, Benzema; 4,96)

MrEleson

Averaging 7 shots per 90 over a season is just insane. (This season - Haaland: 3,79, Osimhen: 4,55, Kane: 3,66, Lewandowski: 4,28, Benzema; 4,96)
Context must be added to this. He was averaging that many shots per game because he would usually shoot from obscene angles and ranges that other players wouldn’t even consider not because he was missing kindergarten chances ala Weghorst.

This was partly an extension of him playing further away from goal in his prime than the names you’re comparing him to. Finishing wise, that are very few better in the history of the game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronnies most outstanding qualities in his peak was his explosive pace (both with and without the ball), athletism and his ability to get into good positions to be available for service or get a shot away. Now's he's left with just the latter.
He has never been goat level when it comes to technique, finishing, passing, playmaking or dribbling, despite being good to really good in all these aspects.

His finishing has actually never been world class, despite producing a lot of world class finishes over the years. He's just taken a lot of shots, a lot, the most! In that regard, getting on the end of chances and getting into positions where he can shoot, he might be the best ever. Averaging 7 shots per 90 over a season is just insane. (This season - Haaland: 3,79, Osimhen: 4,55, Kane: 3,66, Lewandowski: 4,28, Benzema; 4,96)
This is actually strange/bold argument, especially when you are talking about a player who has actually scored more goals than Pele, and has score more goals than any player in the history of the game. I assume you just want to trigger a few response here.

For a start, I assume you never really look into context behind his absurd high no. of shots during his younger years. He tends to make all kinds of shots from any impossible angle/distance or from any half chances that most players don’t dare to attempt. Just think of all the those 35-40 yards direct freekicks attempts he is making all these years, when most others would just pass it into the box instead, those are all counts as shots too remember. Context.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
For a start, I assume you never really look into context behind his absurd high no. of shots during his younger years. He tends to make all kinds of shots from any impossible angle/distance or from any half chances that most players don’t dare to attempt. Just think of all the those 35-40 yards direct freekicks attempts he is making all these years, when most others would just pass it into the box instead, those are all counts as shots too remember. Context.
This quote is an excellent example of why the objective "score goals yourself" can be detrimental to the team objective "win the game" @frostbite. It makes zero sense to be shooting from impossible angles or distances all the time and this for me is the biggest points of criticism, even in his prime. Cristiano optimized his goal record not his football/overall contribution/impact/however you want to call it.

It's like a manager who is only focused on contract conclusions but ignores how much revenue he actually generates for his company, e. g. through customer retention.

GifLord

Isn’t that young Ronaldo once made/completed 20/14 dribbles in one CL game? Must be some kind of record there (or among one of those)

I mean let’s be abit more fair, for someone who has been regarded by some here as “kick and run merchant” who is so average technically and only looks good on 5 mins footage, it’s impossible right?
He's literally using his speed to skip past defenders not to mention he's going backwards instead of forwards in some of those clips :lol:
39 sec he's literally spamming speed to beat players - just look at the ball control :houllier:

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Not to mention that that game was definitely one of his 'I'm gonna try and do this on my own' games like he used to have against Barca earlier on. Playing against Benfica affected him so he didn't keep it simple. Wasn't actually one of his better ones.

djembatheking

feck Ronaldo , hope he enjoys dribbling past the mighty Al Adalh defenders tonight in his quest to add Saudi Professional League champion to his list of titles.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's literally using his speed to skip past defenders not to mention he's going backwards instead of forwards in some of those clips :lol:
39 sec he's literally spamming speed to beat players - just look at the ball control :houllier:
Well Cruyff does that a lot too, spamming speed to skip past defenders in similar fashion, and he is widely regarded as among elite dribblers in the game.

And if spamming speed is all you see here, then you probably don’t understand the game too well at this level of pace. There’s definitely a lot comes into play when he is doing those high speed dribbling, such as:
- sudden change of pace/direction,
- anticipating movement of defenders,
- stepovers
- skills tricks
- faking direction with shoulders movement etc -

And of course you don’t read any of it, it’s all just spamming pace in your naked eyes.

Last edited:

GifLord

Well Cruyff does that a lot too, spamming speed to skip past defenders in similar fashion, and he is widely regarded as among elite dribblers in the game.

And if spamming speed is all you see here, then you probably don’t understand the game too well at this level of pace. There’s definitely a lot comes into play when he is doing those high speed dribbling, such as:
- sudden change of pace/direction,
- anticipating movement of defenders,
- stepovers
- skills tricks
- faking direction with shoulders movement etc -

And of course you don’t read any of it, it’s all just spamming pace in your naked eyes.
Ronaldo's main asset was his speed and crazy acceleration which became very clear when he couldn't beat defender he usually would a few years ago with ease. I even remember when they tried to make a point at how crazy fast he was when he did that commercial competing with a Bugatti? Anyone member? And they had those Castrol Football stat rankings or what it was called.

Gehrman

Sometimes you gotta turn backwards in order to not lose ball. Or sideways to create space.