Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

bakalhau

As a human being I respect him for his hard work but IQ wise he’s not exactly the brightest despite his money.
Hard disagree. Unless by IQ you mean the actual IQ test, I think he'd fail that ahahah.

Anyway, his IQ got him to everything he accomplished in world football. Not his talent, not his technique, not his physique. His hard work must've come from his brain deciding to go that way, and it's not only that, working hard is one thing, working hard and smart at the same time is another.
He's also very smart with his money, by the way, specially when compared to many other footballers, i.e. He didn't blow the money away, diversified his income into many gigs in other areas such as advertising, took smart business decisions, like selling his image rights, and invested into real estate, and so on.

It's not a big thingie though, not like I'm offended by what you said or anything, I just think it's the exact opposite, with all due respect.

Rojow

He's also very smart with his money, by the way, specially when compared to many other footballers, i.e. He didn't blow the money away, diversified his income into many gigs in other areas such as advertising, took smart business decisions, like selling his image rights, and invested into real estate, and so on.
He had the biggest agent in the world with him. Mendes. He marketed the sh*t out of him.

ForeverRed1

Thing is, he didnt say it for the love of the club and even if right do you think he should have stayed? Its not exactly hard to say those things about the club. But when you say it to piece of trash like Piers Morgan than its actually awful.
Oh I totally agree.. but he was right whatever the motive and however it came about.

Son

Hard disagree. Unless by IQ you mean the actual IQ test, I think he'd fail that ahahah.

Anyway, his IQ got him to everything he accomplished in world football. Not his talent, not his technique, not his physique. His hard work must've come from his brain deciding to go that way, and it's not only that, working hard is one thing, working hard and smart at the same time is another.

It's not a big thingie though, not like I'm offended by what you said or anything, I just think it's the exact opposite, with all due respect.
On the field he’s a genius like Maradona was and has no doubt had his money managed by very shrewd advisers. He’s good at football and money so yes I’ll agree he’s very talented.

However… When it comes to matters not based on money or football the man is an idiot. He’s like one of those gifted kids who score A+ every test but struggle doing anything vaguely normal like going to the shops.

I don’t blame him for been too focused on a single vision but 100% it handicapped his development in many other ways as is shown half the time when he opens his mouth.

Muhammad Ali was a tonne worse back in the day though for example so all great sportsman have their flaws. Unless your Rodger Federer maybe he seems pretty chill:lol:

Last edited:

MrEleson

I mean literally 100% of players get worse as they hit their mid to late 30's so yes age and the fact that because of his age he couldn't cut it in a top five European side anymore. I could care less what he's done in the past.
Benzema had his worst career season in 17/18 as a 30 going on 31 year old. 5 league goals (3 pens) for Real Madrid. He literally scored less than Ramos then bounced back
and eventually won the BDOR.

Ronaldo was 3rd topscorer in 21/22 so it would have been a big stretch to assume he was finished based on 5 games worth of minutes in the league in a team he clearly didn’t want to be in. Not to mention, the several other factors that would have affected him mentally. I think everyone just wanted him to be finished.

Vidic178

He's clearly still a far better striker than Weghorst, and arguably Holjund as well. Ten Hag managed him terribly.

43 goals and 10 assists in the past 45 games, even if its Saudi that's ridiculous. I don't see Benzema or Mahrez getting even close to those numbers so far.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is definitely on fire right now, the quality of all his goals in recent 2 games are something.

- great free kick onto top corner leaving keeper freeze
- left foot rocket shot outside the box onto far left top corner
- first time volley onto bottom corner of the net

He also manage to make some good assists with some flick pass.

I think he is on the way to score 50+ goals in 2023.

VP

He's clearly still a far better striker than Weghorst, and arguably Holjund as well. Ten Hag managed him terribly.

43 goals and 10 assists in the past 45 games, even if its Saudi that's ridiculous. I don't see Benzema or Mahrez getting even close to those numbers so far.
Ten Hag's best decision was dumping this prick.

Vidic178

Ten Hag's best decision was spending 70m on Casemiro, without him there'd be no European football this season

And now that Casemiro's showing his age, we're seeing Ten Hag's real level, despite 400m spent the team is performing worse than under Ole

MrEleson

Did anyone with a half-functioning brain really for a split second doubt this?

frostbite

Ten Hag's best decision was spending 70m on Casemiro, without him there'd be no European football this season

And now that Casemiro's showing his age, we're seeing Ten Hag's real level, despite 400m spent the team is performing worse than under Ole
And there are serious doubts that Casemiro was ETH's decision. ETH wanted De Jong, De Jong did not want ETH, we waited all summer, and in the end, we got Casemiro who was our target before ETH arrived here.

frostbite

Ten Hag replaced Ronaldo with Wout, and played Wout every game, and Wout was useless. And then Ten Hag spent 70 million on a kid, who is not ready to contribute goals, which is what we desperately need.

If THAT was Ten Hag's "BEST decision" then he is a really bad manager!

frostbite

It works out very well for both parties I assume?
It was certainly great for Ronaldo. We had to pay him his full contract, release him, and then he got a huge contract from SA as a free agent, with a nice signing bonus, he is probably a billionaire now.

On the other hand, we paid his contract but we didn't get anything, we did not sell him to SA, we also paid Wout his wages for zero goals, and now we paid 70 million for a 20 year old. And we still need a striker that scores goals. Not great...

troylocker

Will Ronaldo have to play football in Saudi Arabia till he's 49 now that they got the WC 2034?

MrEleson

It was certainly great for Ronaldo. We had to pay him his full contract, release him, and then he got a huge contract from SA as a free agent, with a nice signing bonus, he is probably a billionaire now.

On the other hand, we paid his contract but we didn't get anything, we did not sell him to SA, we also paid Wout his wages for zero goals, and now we paid 70 million for a 20 year old. And we still need a striker that scores goals. Not great...
We didn’t pay his contract. It was mutually terminated with no payment of release.

frostbite

We didn’t pay his contract. It was mutually terminated with no payment of release.
Perhaps you are right (only the two parties and the lawyers actually know, because the teams don't always tell the truth to the press). Even in that case, Ronaldo was getting ("only") 26 million per year from us. He left in November, so perhaps he did not get the December to June wages, maybe 14-15 million or so. However, he earns over 200 million per year in SA, so in half a year he made 100 million. If he did lose the 15 million from us but earned 100 million, then it is plus 85 million for him. That's a great move financially! Plus, he did feel that ETH wasn't respecting him, so it was a good move for him psychologically too. Win-win for Ronaldo (money and psychology).

For us, even if we saved 15 million from the rest of his wages, we paid Wout for zero goals, then we paid 70 million for a striker who doesn't score (yet!) and we lost the possibility of selling Ronaldo to SA last January (which also allowed Ronaldo to get all the money that SA would pay to us for the transfer!), and we also lost money from the Ronaldo shirts that we did not sell. Lose-lose for us (money and goals).

What did we get out of this whole thing? Nothing! We just proved we are not very smart with our money and with how we handle our expensive players. (And then we proved it again with De Gea and Sancho!)

Last edited:

Rockets Redglare

Perhaps you are right (only the two parties and the lawyers actually know, because the teams don't always tell the truth to the press). Even in that case, Ronaldo was getting ("only") 26 million per year from us. He left in November, so perhaps he did not get the December to June wages, maybe 14-15 million or so. However, he earns over 200 million per year in SA, so in half a year he made 100 million. If he did lose the 15 million from us but earned 100 million, then it is plus 85 million for him. That's a great move financially! Plus, he did feel that ETH wasn't respecting him, so it was a good move for him psychologically too. Win-win for Ronaldo (money and psychology).

For us, even if we saved 15 million from the rest of his wages, we paid Wout for zero goals, then we paid 70 million for a striker who doesn't score (yet!) and we lost the possibility of selling Ronaldo to SA last January (which also allowed Ronaldo to get all the money that SA would pay to us for the transfer!), and we also lost money from the Ronaldo shirts that we did not sell. Lose-lose for us (money and goals).

What did we get out of this whole thing? Nothing! We just proved we are not very smart with our money and with how we handle our expensive players. (And then we proved it again with De Gea and Sancho!)
We bought Ronaldo for about 12 million, how much do you honestly think he was worth after absolutely stinking up the place for months?

frostbite

We bought Ronaldo for about 12 million, how much do you honestly think he was worth after absolutely stinking up the place for months?
Perhaps you do not really understand what "Ronaldo" means financially...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/ronaldo-man-utd-shirt-sales-27568862
Man Utd sold £187m of Cristiano Ronaldo shirts in 10 days of him rejoining them

https://www.jordanpulse.com/article...i newspaper "Okaz" said,sold in just 48 hours.
2 million shirts sold
The Saudi newspaper "Okaz" said that the demand to buy the Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo shirt for his new team, Al-Nasr Saudi Arabia, was historic, and indicated in a report that 2 million shirts bearing the number 7 of the Portuguese international with Al-Nasr were sold in just 48 hours.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Would make sense if Ronaldo actually wanted to go to Saudi Arabia. Thing is, he would have preferred staying in Europe for at least another season and clearly overplayed his hand. He could still have gone to SA aged 40 or so. It's a shame because I would rather see him playing for a European club but it is what it is.