Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Amir

I spent years of arguing with people here that he doesn't care one bit about United:
I'm not saying he cares about United or not, but there's nothing wrong with what he said. Congratulating an opponent for an achievement is something Fergie would do and I don't see the issue with saying they probably desrved a CL win before they actually did it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He is a legend in the world of football but for me he is not a Manchester United legend. A legendary player and a Real Madrid legend who also was very succesfull while playing for Manchester United.
Yep. Always been my thoughts too. He probably isn't even in the next tier down either.

cafecillos

I love how he tries to make his comparison with the French league "objective" using the argument that he has direct experience of ONE, not two, but only one, of the two elements of the comparison. He's such a moron :lol:

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
He is a legend in the world of football but for me he is not a Manchester United legend. A legendary player and a Real Madrid legend who also was very succesfull while playing for Manchester United.
He's a wanker but he was our best player in 3 straight league wins and a CL win, and is one of three Ballon D'or winners in the history of the club. He is absolutely without question a legend of the club and always will be.

Joel Miller

Ok buddy. You have 42 posts in this thread out of 500 odd in your posting history. I have 60 out of 6000 odd. Ratio.
Nice bit of trivia! Still not very relevant and won’t change your constantly being triggered by negativity directed at Ronaldo, or your typical passive aggressive responses to posters who speak ill of him :)

Pickle85

Nice bit of trivia! Still not very relevant and won’t change your constantly being triggered by negativity directed at Ronaldo, or your typical passive aggressive responses to posters who speak ill of him :)
Blocked, but keep filling your days with Ronaldo vs Messi while you can, as it won't be relevant for much longer!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I don't think it's anymore ridiculous than Messi somehow winning a WPOTY for doing absolutely nothing
It is when one is in out of Messi's control, and the other is Ronaldo's choice to say what he says.

*If you're referring to Ronaldo's opinion not being "anymore ridiculous than..." that is.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Dont know if its a fake quote tbf.

Nicoteiro

https://x.com/fearlessmessi/status/1668663004450418688?s=46

It’s amazing how great Ronaldo is and how insecure he is at the same time. Accept it dude, you can be one of the all time greats (outside top 5 in my opinion) and your legacy would be much bigger if you accepted it.

but he’s got Messi living in his mind, while Messi doesn’t care about him at all.

the amount of stupid things this guy is going to say once he’s retired it’s going to be tiring.

Joel Miller

It’s amazing how great Ronaldo is and how insecure he is at the same time. Accept it dude, you can be one of the all time greats (outside top 5 in my opinion) and your legacy would be much bigger if you accepted it.

but he’s got Messi living in his mind, while Messi doesn’t care about him at all.

the amount of stupid things this guy is going to say once he’s retired it’s going to be tiring.
That video :lol: He really said he’d trade a league winners medal and CL for a Golden Boot, crazy. At the risk of upsetting Pickle, he really is a prized twat. It’s obviously easy to see why so many admire him for his footballing talent and his achievements in the game, but as a man he’s pretty much everything I don’t like in a person.

It’s also crazy that he’s been so successful yet is also consumed by feelings of insecurity and a severe inferiority complex with regards to Messi. And for what? Just because the majority of the world views another player as being better at football than you, most would be elated with his status in the sport. Being driven to be the best is actually very healthy in sport, but allowing it to consume you to the extent you become the biggest narcissist and most self centred team player in sport, definitely isn’t.

His comments are weird anyway because the biggest black mark in the history of the Ballon D’Or was reopening the voting in 2013 because Ribery had won it and FIFA wanted to award it to Ronaldo as some way of making up for Blatter’s stupid remarks. And the voting was reopened right after he’d bagged a hattrick against Sweden haha. It wasn’t particularly subtle.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
To be very honest, things have now gotten to a stage where you actually feel a little sorry for how pathetic Ronaldo has gotten. I used to despise him but now I just feel pity for the guy. He's utterly irrelevant and obsessed with Messi. It's all a bit sad.

SirMonteyne

He's a wanker but he was our best player in 3 straight league wins and a CL win, and is one of three Ballon D'or winners in the history of the club. He is absolutely without question a legend of the club and always will be.
I still have his AIG jersey. Good times.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Was he? I remember him being average against Barcelona and Chelsea.

ForeverRed1

To be very honest, things have now gotten to a stage where you actually feel a little sorry for how pathetic Ronaldo has gotten. I used to despise him but now I just feel pity for the guy. He's utterly irrelevant and obsessed with Messi. It's all a bit sad.
Ronaldo is utterly irrelevant?

Eddy_JukeZ

Was he? I remember him being average against Barcelona and Chelsea.
He wasn't great vs Barcelona(but then again no attacker was), but he was very good vs Chelsea.

The penalty miss masked a pretty good performance.

Eddy_JukeZ

His fanboys are even worse. They genuinely believe the WC was rigged.

Charlie Foley

In terms of Mbappes record being held up with the likes of Haaland and Kane. French football is miles behind the top 4/5 leagues
What are the top 5 leagues if not including France?

england, spain, Italy, Germany. What’s your fifth league that Ligue 1 is “miles behind”?

Alpha 1

He was our best player in 06/07 and 07/08. He did not have a good 08/09 until April.

Alpha 1

He wasn't great vs Barcelona(but then again no attacker was), but he was very good vs Chelsea.

Good first half, anonymous thereafter.

The matches vs Barcelona showed the gulf in talent between Messi and Ronaldo. Only our excellent last ditch defending and poor performances by the likes of Etoo prevented Messi from swinging the game in their favour. He was electric and every time he got the ball, I was shitting myself.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Four. ;)

cyberman

What are the top 5 leagues if not including France?

england, spain, Italy, Germany. What’s your fifth league that Ligue 1 is “miles behind”?
You don’t understand my point. I’m saying if you can’t equate Ronaldo’s record over there with top players who are in tougher leagues then how can we equate Mbappes who is the next top player up from Ronaldo in terms of relative league weakness to the rest.
top 5 leagues isn’t a thing, it never was until we had to include PSG players into record discussion.
Aren’t Portugal and Holland right on France’s heels coefficient wise anyway?

Rojofiam

You don’t understand my point. I’m saying if you can’t equate Ronaldo’s record over there with top players who are in tougher leagues then how can we equate Mbappes who is the next top player up from Ronaldo in terms of relative league weakness to the rest.
top 5 leagues isn’t a thing, it never was until we had to include PSG players into record discussion.
I think I know what you mean, but the French League is still way, way closer to the top 4 football leagues, than the Saudi League is to the French League.

Charlie Foley

I’m not understanding your point because you are doing a messy (no pun intended) job of making it. My understanding is you are trying to say we diminish Ronaldo’s goal scoring exploits based on the league he’s in but don’t do the same for Mbappe?

For one thing “Right on the heels of” is not “miles ahead of”. If you want to make a good point you shouldn’t exaggerate because it just undermines everything. And this point could be made by negatively comparing Mbappe’s record to Haaland sure, but the French league is still miles ahead of Saudi Arabia, so it’s a bigger asterisk on Ronaldo’s goal scoring record by your own logic.

we should also factor in styles of play in the various leagues as well as strength when talking about goals. Germany has a higher coefficient but the games feel more open there.

an aside, I think we are going to see really interesting things with coefficients given the heavy weighting of the two lower uefa tournaments. The hope is the smaller leagues can hoover up some points rather than middling premier league teams increasing the gap more and more.
That 07/08 season I really thought one day there could be a second holy trinity statue of him Tevez and Rooney :lol: In my defence I was 16

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

He gave Essien a torrid time in that first half I think. We should have been a couple of goals to the good before their fluke equaliser. Certainly Tevez, and I think Carrick (though I might be getting the timing wrong on that one) had great chances to score. Carrick forced a fine save but Tevez let the ball run under his foot from a cross on the rigbt

Rio with the dodgy header VDS had to save, and Drogba hitting the post(?) and lampard hitting the bar in the second half and extra time respectively were their best chances. I still don’t know how Giggs didn’t score either, all these years I’ve refused to give Terry credit for that but I suppose I should, but he shouldn’t have been given a chance to get to it.
Essien pushing into midfield helped them a lot in the second half. First half he was like a chess piece stuck on the edge of the board and couldn’t influence things.

happy days! And a great jersey too.

RedMessiah

This is exactly the feeling I get from these last days: one that will close his career in peace, knowing he'll probably be regarded as the best (or amongst the best three) and the other one obsessed and struggling to accept that, in the general perception, he has lost the battle.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Don't know how I always forget Law..

He was our best player in 06/07 and 07/08. He did not have a good 08/09 until April.
He was our top scorer and we definitely would not have won the league nor made the CL final without him. I can understand disliking him as a person, I do too, but don't let that push you to rewriting history. Though to be fair to your point, I could see the case that Vidic was better that year. That said, he was still by a distance our best attacker.

Alpha 1

Don't know how I always forget Law..

He was our we definitely would not have won the league nor made the CL final without him. I can understand disliking him as a person, I do too, but don't let that push you to rewriting history. Though to be fair to your point, I could see the case that Vidic was better that year. That said, he was still by a distance our best attacker.
You are mistaking performances with goals. Yes he scored goals but his performances really weren't great as I said until the run in; he spent most of the season sulking because he did not get his move to Madrid. Infact, there were arguments that Rooney was actually better during that same time.

If you take a look at stats (since that is what typically Ronaldo is mostly about), without penalties, he actually had less goals+assists per 90 minutes than Rooney. See below.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/19538871/2008-2009/s338/Manchester-United-Stats

The season player ratings from one of the newspapers:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...paign=continue_reading_button#google_vignette

I think a game that defined his season up until March/April was vs Aston villa. Scored 2 crucial goals, but was very poor otherwise.

Alpha 1

This is exactly the feeling I get from these last days: one that will close his career in peace, knowing he'll probably be regarded as the best (or amongst the best three) and the other one obsessed and struggling to accept that, in the general perception, he has lost the battle.
He has really really done well to compared to one of the most (top 3) talented professional footballers ever.

Hughes35

Weird amount of hate for without doubt one the best players, most professional players and most entertaining players to ever play the game.

Oranges038

Weird amount of hate for without doubt one the best players, most professional players and most entertaining players to ever play the game.
Funny that people can claim to dislike him as a person and the rewriting of his achievements and performances for Utd in here are laughable.

He was a great player and he doesn't get enough credit for how he had to transform his game after his knee problems. To go from that skinny winger to the physical freak and lethal striker he ended up being is one hell of a turn around.